Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Exile on Bluray audio
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 8, 2013 17:52

Curious to know if the sound could be better

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Re: Exile on Bluray audio
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: August 8, 2013 21:16

toomuchforme
Curious to know if the sound could be better

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

I have GRRR! compilation on blu-ray and the sound quality of that is outstanding,

so I guess it must be outstanding as well.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 8, 2013 23:09

It depends on the mastering used. If it's the Universal remaster you can skip it without any hesitation IMO...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 9, 2013 00:58

Better than SACD? I still don't know if it would have the right punch. So far I like the Virgin remaster the best, but I'd love to hear Exile in a high-def format like SACD or Blue Ray.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 9, 2013 10:30

kowalski
It depends on the mastering used. If it's the Universal remaster you can skip it without any hesitation IMO...

What the man said ;^)

The Universal re-master is typically over loud and compressed.
The vinyl edition was very disapponting for this reason.
The result can only be as good as the master, no matter how wonderful the playback medium may be.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 9, 2013 12:43

Please post your impressions if you get it. I'm interested if it sounds better. On a budget.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 9, 2013 13:55

24FPS

So far I like the Virgin remaster the best, but I'd love to hear Exile in a high-def format like SACD or Blue Ray.

You can make a comparison in the meantime between the GRRR! HD-version and the Exile SHM-SACD (if it's still available on Usenet).

Edit: it seems that the SACD files disappearing more and more from this site and no one does the files re-upload sad smiley

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-10 09:00 by Irix.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 9, 2013 14:26

24FPS
Better than SACD? I still don't know if it would have the right punch. So far I like the Virgin remaster the best, but I'd love to hear Exile in a high-def format like SACD or Blue Ray.

Nah,

Just play the original pressing vinyl LP on a half decent record deck winking smiley

That's High def

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 9, 2013 17:10

I didn't know the bluray audio even existed. I guess it contains some unique frequencies your dog can hear and enjoy, right?

I guess that in 5 years they will offer albums in some 10 terabyte large format claiming the sound is better than ever. The source will be some MP3s, but it will really fill up your disc space, so that you would know what you payed for.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 9, 2013 17:25

Nice sarcasm BUT HD audio files are still a better thing than the crappy mp3 format.

IF we apply your "logic" to the visual world, vhs (= visual mp3) is comparable to DVD (flac16/CD) or bluray (HD format). And only my dog could see the difference...

Who, in their right mind, would dare say such pompous bs? grinning smiley

The Exile BR is rap for the same reason some early BR movies were crap : instead of carefully making a new HD transfer of old analog elements (Master tape or film elements) record labels/film took the cheap road and used what they had : a digital flawed Master (Exile) or an old "HD" transfer (some film BR titles).

In any case it doesn't prove HD formats are not superior. It just proves big companies will gladly cut corners for a cheap buck.

As soon as HD musical formats are more popular we will have a string of RS records reissue, remastered from the original Master tapes.

And we'll get the same PR campaign as the one we got with the 1994 Virgin reissues. And Keith will be all over the press boasting (like he did in 94) "this is it baby! They never sounded so good!" >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-09 17:34 by dcba.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: August 9, 2013 18:09

anyone know if this will be released in the UK?

Date: August 9, 2013 19:50

Don't know when this will be released in the UK. But if it will be released, it might be found in the Amazon.UK Blu-ray Audio section.

Beside the Stones there are some other UM-releases on Blu-ray Audio in September:

Beck - Sea Change
Queen - Night at the Opera
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Nirvana - Nevermind
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

See this post in the Blu-ray Forum.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 10, 2013 02:09

I would be very interested in buying a Blu-Ray copy of Exile & perhaps some of the other titles - IF the difference in sound quality is noticeable. I have seen comments from both ends of the spectrum. Some people stating there is no noticeable difference & then others who say the Blu-Ray copy is "pure tubey magic".

Now, if it was a copy of GYYYO, I would buy it in a cocaine heartbeat. I am still trying to find the best version/pressing of this album, on LP or CD. Preferably the former. I wish the MFSL half-speed copy was available individually.

I love GYYYO so much I would even buy a "white hot stamper" copy of it from Better Records. Even if it was $350 like some of the other white hot stampers on the Better Records website.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: August 10, 2013 04:06

I just ordered a copy from the site above, it's release date is September 4th...I'll let you know how it sounds as soon as I get it.

Date: August 10, 2013 04:18

MILKYWAY
I would be very interested in buying a Blu-Ray copy of Exile & perhaps some of the other titles - IF the difference in sound quality is noticeable. I have seen comments from both ends of the spectrum. Some people stating there is no noticeable difference & then others who say the Blu-Ray copy is "pure tubey magic".

Now, if it was a copy of GYYYO, I would buy it in a cocaine heartbeat. I am still trying to find the best version/pressing of this album, on LP or CD. Preferably the former. I wish the MFSL half-speed copy was available individually.

I love GYYYO so much I would even buy a "white hot stamper" copy of it from Better Records. Even if it was $350 like some of the other white hot stampers on the Better Records website.

For the moment the best version of GYYYO is probably the SACD.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 10, 2013 04:42

kowalski
For the moment the best version of GYYYO is probably the SACD.

I will buy this SACD from Amazon. Thanks for that information, kowalski. I do not own that version.

I appreciate the recommendation.

Date: August 10, 2013 05:54

GYYYO SACD has two layers. One is the CD layer and the other one is the actual SACD layer. The CD layer is identical to the regular CD edition and features a "limited" mastering (to get a louder sound). But the SACD layer is the original Bob Ludwig remastering with full dynamic range. This one sounds really good.

Exile On Main Street - bluray audio release
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 5, 2013 13:17

for what it´s worth...

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Re: Exile On Main Street - bluray audio release
Date: September 5, 2013 13:30

20€ is very decent... but if we end up with the awful 2009 remasters "blown-up" to BR format that's a rip-off.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 5, 2013 13:58

Was just about to buy it but dcba's comment made me re-consider. We need more information first. Anyone know any more about it?

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: September 5, 2013 14:05

still waiting for amazon to list this in the uk don't know much info on it

Date: September 5, 2013 14:20

It's listed on JPC in Germany too (they have an english Website and deliver worldwide).

As mentioned above, we will have to see if there is really an improvement in audio quality or if it's only a 'upscaled' (sample rate / bit depth) version.

Maybe somebody can make a comparison between the appropriate Tracks on GRRR! and the SHM-SACD. I guess the Exile Blu-ray Audio uses the same Masters as GRRR! (both released on the Polydor label).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-05 15:00 by Irix.

Date: September 5, 2013 15:54

Silver Dagger
Was just about to buy it but dcba's comment made me re-consider. We need more information first.

Kowalski deserves all the praises as he was the 1st to prove that some BR titles are made from old/faulty digital masters...

Imho if "they" had dug out the EOMS original Master from the vaults to create a new state-of-the-art analogue-to-digital transfer we would have heard about it.

Date: September 5, 2013 20:24

dcba
Silver Dagger
Was just about to buy it but dcba's comment made me re-consider. We need more information first.

Kowalski deserves all the praises as he was the 1st to prove that some BR titles are made from old/faulty digital masters...

Thank you but where did I write such a thing ?

So far most Universal blu-ray audio are made from latest remasters. Most of the time they are the "loud-remaster" kind.

It's pretty safe to say that the blu ray of Exile will be made from the high res version of the 2009 remasters like the Exile tracks that appear on GRRR! blu ray (Rocks Off, Happy, TD...). The Exile tracks on the blu ray are not brickwalled like the 2009 CD's but they are far from an "audiophile" quality release (and very far from the sound of the original vinyl albums).

On the other hand the 2011/2012 SHM-SACD that were released in Japan are truely audiophile as they were transferred from the original master tapes without any additional compression or limiting.

Date: October 12, 2013 12:30

Since 'Exile On Main Street' is now available on Blu-ray Audio, has someone listened to it and has made a comparison to other Editions?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 12, 2013 13:04

24bit/96 khz High Fidelity Audiophile Sound: No Compression. No Compromise! 2.0 DTS, Dolby TruHD and PCM Audio Formats!
(Be wary of offers that sound too good to be true.grinning smiley)

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: October 12, 2013 15:07

I ordered it from the link at the top of the page and around the middle of September they refunded my money on Paypal with no explanation...guess I need to try to find it again...I love blu-ray audio! I have ordered Yes's Close To The Edge blu-ray that comes out the end of this month.

Date: October 12, 2013 15:58

Toru A
24bit/96 khz High Fidelity Audiophile Sound: No Compression. No Compromise! 2.0 DTS, Dolby TruHD and PCM Audio Formats!

Hi Toru, do you know if it's the same mastering as the 2011 SHM-SACD ?

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: October 12, 2013 16:44

Freaky stuff this is ....

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 12, 2013 17:22

kowalski
Toru A

Hi Toru, do you know if it's the same mastering as the 2011 SHM-SACD ?
Hi.
I guess they share the same master.
(2011 DSD by Mick McKenna and Richard Whittaker of FX Copyroom)

FX Copyroom restores and transfers The Rolling Stones analogue and digital audio tapes.
FX Copyroom has had the privilege of restoring and transferring a various array of digital and analogue formats for The Rolling Stones.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home