Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Who at IORR saw the Stones with Brian Jones?
Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: July 18, 2013 14:30

I first saw the Stones on May 7, 1965 in Clearwater, Florida...later that night Keith woke up and played the riff from Satisfaction into his tape recorder and changed history forever!smiling smiley I was 13 at the time, wouldn't turn 14 till October. Got to go to the show because a guy my Dad had worked with took a job as a game warden on the west coast of Florida and we were visiting them. I remember they opened with Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, then Around And Around, Off The Hook, Little Red Rooster, Time Is On My Side, I'm Alright, Pain In My Heart and The Last Time...not sure if that was all of them, I know they were on for half an hour. The impression I've carried with me all my life(I'll be 62 in October) was that these were the same guys right in front of me that I had seen on the Ed Sullivan Show!smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 18, 2013 14:36

The Satisfaction riff thing happened in London earlier in the year. smiling smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 18, 2013 17:39

ash
Aquamarine
Set list, no, except they did Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, which had come out that day (or close), Paint It Black, and the usual faves (Satisfaction, etc.). The gig itself I remember vividly (including what I wore--black turtleneck)--warm-up bands included the Yardbirds and Ike and Tina Turner, then when the Stones came on we all stood on our seats and screamed. I remember what they were wearing too. Brian was wearing a velvet Regency jacket, and as I said at one point some girls got onstage and grabbed him, and the show was briefly halted while the cops dragged them off, etc. This made it EVEN MORE EXCITING! grinning smiley

You lucky devil ! Any memories of the Yardbirds ? I always wish there was more audio/footage of the Beck vs Page "world war 3" era Yardbirds.

Sadly only hazy memories. My main memory of the support acts is of my jaw dropping when Tina sang River Deep Mountain High!

Btw my diary contains loads of transcripts (=me writing it all down as soon as the show finished) of those little inconsequential interviews, I can post them as I find them as long as they don't lead to "Brian's a bastard" outbursts!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 17:42 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 18, 2013 18:04

Great to have those memories and transcripts Aquamarine.

A memory I have is not being allowed by mum to see them at Kingston Granada on February 13th 1964. Must have been a school day,cos none of us from school went in the end.
Wasn't bothered at the time cos there would always be another time.
That other time was about 25-30 years later. eye rolling smiley

Date: July 18, 2013 18:15

Thank you Aquamarine!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 18, 2013 18:19

Yep, Tina was magic!

Would like to suggest to His Majesty that when he has time he might want to do a thorough search of photos and footage from the September 1966 Royal Albert Hall concert...Brian was at his best that night. Looked great....played dulcimer etc...was enjoying himself immensely. May have been his proudest moment because a year later he was not so happy within himself. (MANY good people tried to help him..but he simply couldn't be helped.)

EACH member of the Rolling Stones stood out that night. Audience loved them all...It was before "websites" had been invented and "favorites" were in fashion.
Keith had not yet become a God.

I was not one of the screaming leapers storming the stage...but I was mightily impressed and also concerned they'd all end up in hospital. I was very young and had never seen anything like those determined lasses. I remember it all vividly and it's still one of THE best shows I ever will see. Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift would die for that kind of crowd response!

Date: July 18, 2013 18:51

1966 was a great year in England,and I say England cos we won the footy World Cup,to the great dismay of the Scottish fans.
The whole country was still celebrating months after the final whistle had been blown,
The U.K. was producing the best music along with U.S.A. and everything was looking rosy.
It was a great time to be British. winking smiley

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 18, 2013 19:18

september 1965 waldbühne berlin

Date: July 18, 2013 19:19

Yes indeed. I have always been grateful that I was able to know England throughout the late Sixties. I made many diverse friends and we are still friends today. I learned about real history ...not just one page in a book.

Obviously, England has changed greatly since then...but will always love the UK.

Date: July 18, 2013 19:43

crawdaddy
1966 was a great year in England,and I say England cos we won the footy World Cup,to the great dismay of the Scottish fans. winking smiley

Scotland made a wee statement about all that the following year at Wembley. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 19:49 by His Majesty.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 18, 2013 20:21

stonesrule
Yes indeed. I have always been grateful that I was able to know England throughout the late Sixties. I made many diverse friends and we are still friends today. I learned about real history ...not just one page in a book.

Obviously, England has changed greatly since then...but will always love the UK.

What are the other Pages about?

Date: July 18, 2013 22:31

His Majesty
crawdaddy
1966 was a great year in England,and I say England cos we won the footy World Cup,to the great dismay of the Scottish fans. winking smiley

Scotland made a wee statement about all that the following year at Wembley. winking smiley
I agree.
Not nearly as good in that game as, 'Winners of the World Cup of Football' in '66,and gave Sir Alf Ramsey a very undignified exit as manager in years to come. confused smiley

Date: July 18, 2013 23:24

stonesrule
Yep, Tina was magic!

Would like to suggest to His Majesty that when he has time he might want to do a thorough search of photos and footage from the September 1966 Royal Albert Hall concert...Brian was at his best that night. Looked great....played dulcimer etc...was enjoying himself immensely. May have been his proudest moment because a year later he was not so happy within himself. (MANY good people tried to help him..but he simply couldn't be helped.)

EACH member of the Rolling Stones stood out that night. Audience loved them all...It was before "websites" had been invented and "favorites" were in fashion.
Keith had not yet become a God.

I was not one of the screaming leapers storming the stage...but I was mightily impressed and also concerned they'd all end up in hospital. I was very young and had never seen anything like those determined lasses. I remember it all vividly and it's still one of THE best shows I ever will see. Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift would die for that kind of crowd response!

Hahahaha, I'm just reading my trusty diary for the day, and it says "Mick danced and pointed a lot. I KNOW he looked at me once!!" (I was in about the 20th row, in the dark, wearing black. eye rolling smiley )

"Charlie introduced Lady Jane. Brian sat down and played dulcimer. Once the spotlight went off Mick and on to Brian in the middle break. Mick made a sweeping bow in Lady Jane (see lyrics). Brian switched to guitar for Who's Driving Your Plane, and then he played harp and Mick tambourine for Not Fade Away. Mick turned around, lifted his jacket and wiggled his bum. [eye popping smiley] " Endless stuff about Mick's jacket, Get Off of My Cloud, The Last Time, Satisfaction (I should obviously have read all this before posting about the setlist). "Brian's left hand was all bandaged but he managed to play OK. I couldn't see Keith but Jill said he wore black. . . . Brian looked v. happy when the spotlight was on him in Lady Jane." Then stuff about the pandemonium that ensued at the end, and mind-numbingly boring stuff about their movements around the stage.

Date: July 18, 2013 23:39

These moments in your diary are so interesting to hear about for those who were around the swingin' scene ,especially London,in the '60's.Thanks so much for sharing. smileys with beer

Date: July 19, 2013 00:00

Parts of a bunch of shows from that tour seem to have been transmitted on the radio, along with interviews (don't think it was TV--my diary's not clear). Here's a good bit, from the Leeds show--interviewer tells Mick there was a 73-year-old woman in the front row, MJ says "73--that's a bit old, isn't it? [grinning smiley] Was she with her grandchildren or on her own or what?" He was told she was on her own. He then remarked that she wasn't their oldest fan because 'Bill Wyman's got a 97-year-old grandmother.'"

The next night, "Keith talked for hours. He wears black socks. He said in USA cops threaten to go away in the middle of shows unless they get more money. 'Terrible things go on out there.' He said he didn't mind their touring car being damaged. 'Well, it's not my car.' He said he was sorry to put down the BBC, but he doesn't like it and always listens to pirate radio."

Speaking of which, on Oct. 29: "Hello, this is Brian Jones introducing the 500th edition of the 5 by 4 Show on Radio City!"

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 19, 2013 00:11

Aquamarine
I can post them as I find them

Please do, and don't mind the naggers. I am sure that most of us love to read the stories

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 19, 2013 01:15

Thank you Aquamarine, stuff like that is priceless! smileys with beer

Date: July 19, 2013 01:18

stonesrule

Will do, I have planned to do a nice photo and quote post on my Facebook page about the 1966 UK tour for awhile.

smileys with beer

Date: July 19, 2013 01:20

You're all welcome. There's a ton more stuff like that in a bunch of diaries, which I'll be happy to share (when I've successfully made the transition to my new computer!).

Date: July 19, 2013 01:44

Keep bringing on those posts Aquamarine.
They are a great reminder from our past from music fans who were there,and actually witnessed those great gigs.
I saw a great Tamla Motown show at Kingston Granada with mum,my sister and a couple more friends.Stevie Wonder,The Supremes with Diana Ross,The 4 Tops and The Temptations.Later,the same year,with Adam Faith,Sandie Shaw ,The Roullets and The Tornadoes, playing Telstar.
My mum was only in her 30's then ,and she loved her music.
I remember her liking even the old stuff just after the war,she was telling us and singing along to the radio.
She's still with us at the age of 87. smileys with beer

Date: July 19, 2013 01:53

Wow, those are two great bills! smiling smiley

Date: July 19, 2013 02:38

Aquamarine
Parts of a bunch of shows from that tour seem to have been transmitted on the radio, along with interviews (don't think it was TV--my diary's not clear).

Further research reveals it was on Radio London (AKA Big L, pirate radio station):

"Hello, this is Mick Jagger. Have you heard about the fabulous new offer on Big L? You can win tickets to the Rolling Stones tour. It starts at the Royal Albert Hall on September 23rd. You get the best front row seats--if you win--even if you don't win, we want to see you anyway. All you have to do is write the name of the Rolling Stones' first number one hit on a postcard and send it to Big L. I want to tell you about the tour anyway. Along with us on the tour will be Ike and Tina Turner, the Yardbirds, Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers, and Radio London DJ Mark Roman, who'll be along for the whole tour with us and he'll be telling you every evening what we've been doing during the day. Stay tuned to Big L. Be seeing ya!"

Date: July 19, 2013 02:43

this is incredible material Aquamarine....

Charlie introduced Lady Jane? wow

Date: July 19, 2013 03:00

sonomastone

Charlie introduced Lady Jane? wow

For the whole tour apparently. I must have been paraphrasing here what Mark Roman said about the Newcastle show:

"When Charlie was introducing Lady Jane, Mick was bashing about on the drums. Then the lights dimmed, Mick came forward and started to sing. Charlie went back and went mad trying to find his drumsticks. Dunno who had them."

Also, same night: "Brian borrowed a pair of Mark Roman's cufflinks and a pair from one of Ike and Tina's group. Mark Roman said Brian's renowned for borrowing things and unless you keep on at him, you never get them back."

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 19, 2013 06:53

Great stuff, A. (greetz from the Little Room winking smiley )

Off topic - any mention in your diary of that Dylan RAH gig? Was it the first night or the second? Did you see John & George in the audience? And did ya BOO? grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-19 06:54 by Milan.

Date: July 19, 2013 07:00

Hi, fellow Little Roomer! smiling smiley Yes, tons of stuff about the Dylan show too--first night, no Beatles sighting, and I did NOT boo! Or scream . .

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 19, 2013 07:15

Aquamarine
'Bill Wyman's got a 97-year-old grandmother.'"

Bloody hell, if that was in, say, '66, Bill's grandmother would be ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-FOUR YEARS-OLD, NOW!!! eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-19 07:17 by Big Al.

Date: July 19, 2013 08:18

Bill apparently has good genes.

After the September 66 concert, there was a wonderful party at a nearby hotel.
Ike and Tina and all the artists opening for the Stones were there. The walls of the room were "decorated" with all the gold records and plaques for albums and singles the Stones had been awarded to date. The guests were very impressed. Don't think any of us had seen anything like this before.

The Stones were very happy and friendly that evening...Clearly they were on the right track! Aquamarine, I believe that I recall young Terry Reid also being on the bill. My diaries of this time are in storage. What I have never forgotten is what a momentuous evening it was. Most of us, including the Stones, figured rock and roll would be over with in about three years!

Date: July 19, 2013 11:03

i wonder how the groupies feel, looking back on those days...

Date: July 19, 2013 19:30

I'm almost sure you're right about Terry Reid, stonesrule, because I remember thinking later that that was another Zep connection.

Also Long John Baldry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-19 19:33 by Aquamarine.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home