Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones - Hyde Park London, July 6 & July 13 photos & reviews
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:11

Getty Images

Getty Images

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 04:01 by bye bye johnny.

Re: Rolling Stones - Hyde Park London, July 6 & July 13 photos & reviews
Date: July 7, 2013 17:15

Getty Images

Getty Images

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-14 04:00 by bye bye johnny.

Re: Rolling Stones - Hyde Park London, July 6 photos & reviews
Date: July 7, 2013 17:17

Getty Images

Getty Images

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 7, 2013 17:19

great stuff, thanks.

jeroen

Date: July 7, 2013 17:20

Getty Images

Getty Images

Date: July 7, 2013 17:22

Stones refuse to fade away, with historic return to Hyde Park

65,000 turn out in scorching central London as rock'n'roll veterans play landmark concert

Vanessa Thorpe, arts and media correspondent
The Observer, Saturday 6 July 2013 17.47 EDT

Brian Rasic/Rex

The set began, naturally enough, with Start Me Up and then, 44 years after they first invited 200,000 fans to listen to them for free in Hyde Park, the Rolling Stones were off. And it sounded like – as if they really had never stopped.

Next song up and Sir Mick's voice was calling out the hallowed lyric "It's only Rock n' Roll (but I like it)". And they did: even the most sunburned and dehydrated in the crowd of 65,000 found the strength to cheer and scream.

"Anyone here who was here in 1969?" asked Jagger. "Welcome back – it is nice to see you again."

In the summer of '69 the event had a poignant tone. Their former bandmate and member Brian Jones had just died and there were those who said the Stones should not play in public so soon. Back then Jagger read out some words from Percy Bysshe Shelley's Adonais – the poem written to commemorate the death of his fellow poet John Keats. The lines suggested that Jones lived on, like a star, "from the abode where the Eternal are". In a discreet reference to the white butterflies that were released over the crowds all those years ago Jagger sported a blue butterfly on his jacket shoulders during I Miss You, in tribute to his lost friend.

And there was poetry again when Jagger referred to summer's "short lease". England, at this time of year, he said, was the best place on earth to be. Crowd excitement peaked for Paint it Black, Jumpin' Jack Flash and Honky Tonk Women, and then again when Keith Richards belted out a number or two.

Among the crowd was one of many pilgrims who had made the journey back to Hyde Park, just as he did for the famous free gig 44 years ago. Alan Simms from Sutton-in-Ashfield in Nottinghamshire may have had to pay for his tickets this time, but at least there were loos available. "There were no toilets in '69. In fact, there was no organisation at all," said Simms.

"We thought it was going to be cancelled because Brian had just died. We got there early because we thought we could get to the front, but there were already 50,000 people waiting," he said. This time he had brought his children to see the band. "If someone had told me then that I would be taking them 44 years later I would have thought they ought to be locked up, but they were the ones who were mad for me to get the tickets."

Simms had seen the band six times before, but for his son, James, 29, it was a first. A machine operative in a factory in Worksop, he started listening to the Stones in earnest on his headphones at work but adds that he grew up on the music. "They have got their own special sound," he said. "It isn't like any other band's. There is not one bad song and I could listen to them all for ever."

For his father the early days were all about being rebellious: "I was about 13 when I got into them. Being a Stones fan set you apart from everybody else. I could never understand the animosity they got from other people.

"It was a great event back then and it is true there was something magical about it the last time. But I went to see them again in 1990 because I thought it might be the last time and I have seen every tour since. To be honest every concert seems better than the one before."

This time there were pyrotechnics and a tree-framed stage set that was a "cross between Wimbledon and a pantomime forest", according to Jagger.

Was Brian Jones twinkling down as the concert ended with Satisfaction? Who can say? But it is fairly certain that, to steal Shelley's verse once more, the Rolling Stones will not let us forget them "till the Future dares/Forget the Past".

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Date: July 7, 2013 17:24

The Rolling Stones at Hyde Park in pictures: Rockers return for first time in four decades

The band played to around 500,000 festival-goers during a legendary concert on July 5, 1969, 44 years later, the rockers returned

By Katie Hind 6 Jul 2013 11:45

Rex Features

The Rolling Stones returned to London's Hyde Park tonight, almost exactly 44 years to the day since the famous 'Stones in the Park'.

In a legendary concert, the band played to up to 500,000 festival-goers on July 5, 1969, just two days after the death of guitarist Brian Jones.

There were a couple of differences to tonight’s Barclaycard Presents British Summer Time gig, it’s fair to say.

Last time, Mick Jagger wore a white dress and began by quoting from a poem by Shelley.

This time, Jagger - now Sir Mick and celebrating his 70th birthday in three weeks - was wearing a leopard print jacket and launched straight into Start Me Up, the band's last top 10 hit.

"How're you doing?" he asked the crowd before their second song, It's Only Rock And Roll.

The Wild man of rock also tweeted a picture of himself relaxing in a pink outfit with his iPad, saying: “Kicking it in my trailer.”

It was the Stones' first gig in Hyde Park since that historic free concert in 1969 - the show that marked marked the live debut of Brian Jones' replacement guitarist, Mick Taylor, who was later replaced by Ronnie Wood.

Sir Mick hinted this week that tonight's concert would feature many of the songs from the band's 1969 set list.

In an interview with Absolute Radio's Pete Mitchell, he joked: "Obviously, the same set list is going to be used, it saves me having to think."

But the set in fact opened with a series of songs that had not even been written in 1969.

Tens of thousands of people were in the crowd, including stars such as David Walliams and wife Lara Stone, Gemma Arterton, Ben Wishaw, Chris O'Dowd, Noel Fielding, Simon Fuller and Bobby Gillespie of Primal Scream, who were all in the Barclaycard Unwind VIP area..

Many in the audience were too young even to have seen original bass player Billl Wyman play with the band. He left in 1993. Others had clearly grown up with the Stones.

Part of the Hyde Park arena was built to resemble a village and up and coming bands entertained the crowds during the afternoon on stages including the "Village hall" and the "Band stand".

Ronnie Wood, 65, has said this would be his final blow out before he settles down with missus Sally Humphreys.

The smitten pair have enjoyed being on their own over the last six months since they tied the knot.

Doting Sally, 35, has been by Ron’s side as the Stones toured the world for the band’s 50th anniversary celebrations.

But the Hyde Park gig marks the end of their tour.

The Stones were topping the bill on the second day of new festival, Barclaycard Presents British Summer Time, which also features Elton John and JLS, and just a week after their storming headline performance at Glastonbury last weekend.

Tonight the Stones' set finished, as it began, with fireworks.

The veteran band had played for two hours, closing their initial set with Brown Sugar, then encoring with You Can't Always Get What You Want and a crowd-pleasing Satisfaction.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Date: July 7, 2013 17:26

The Rolling Stones, Barclaycard British Summer Time, Hyde Park, review

The frisson of four young, scrappy lads from the suburbs playing old man delta blues has gone but in the end, it is the music that has lasted best.

PA

By Bernadette McNulty
11:13PM BST 06 Jul 2013

Ten minutes into the Rolling Stones Hyde Park anniversary concert, a middle-aged woman on crutches battled her way out of the crowd and collapsed in a chair in the disabled section. Sweat dripping down her face, she looked as if she was in pain but there was also a flash of triumph in her eyes - even though it had nearly killed her, it was worth it to stand up for a moment in the presence of her idols while they tore through Start Me Up.

Fifty years after they began, what is amazing about the Rolling Stones is not only that this fractious band are still together, but that they can still generate such enormous amounts of emotion, be it love or hatred.

Going on the sharply divided opinions on their first appearance at Glastonbury last weekend, the Stones, well into their golden years, could still start a riot in a Buddhist monastery. Festival-goers claimed it was the show of a lifetime. For those at home, myself included, it was an oddly distant, over-slick piece of rock n’roll theatre.

But in the flesh, oh what magnificent, ridiculous, celebratory theatre it is. Forty-four years on from their landmark free concert, where thousands of fans, many high as a kite, were practically crawling onto the stage, Hyde Park seemed as if it had gone back in time to the Medieval era.

The Barclaycard British Summertime festival ruthlessly divided the plebs from the celebs, with tiers within tiers for the rich and famous, offering them luxury restaurants, afternoon tea and carpeted toilets. While the plebs still had to part with a serious amount of cash to get in, the sun took it upon itself to democratically shine down on all.

Mick Jagger looked delighted. “There’s nowhere better in the summertime,” he declared - and the entire show was a carnival of nostalgia and idealism, of what we dream of summer and what good time rock and roll sounds like.

Jagger was also delighted by his stage set, a tangle of plastic oak trees curving around the giant screens. Whereas on TV Jagger had looked like a lonely, skinny marionette charging up and down the stage until his batteries gave up, blown up and projected five times in the round made the whole band look like Greek gods leering down at their audience.

Armchair critics were most scathing about the decrepitude of the band’s looks. But in the flesh Jagger’s demented jerking or Keith Richards' snarling, arthritic lurch appeared strangely heroic. Looking unashamedly old in a culture obsessed with youth is possibly the most rock'n'roll thing that the band are still doing.

The frisson of four young, scrappy lads from the suburbs playing old man delta blues has gone but in the end, it is the music that has lasted best. From Paint it Black to Sympathy for the Devil that simple formula of sleazy licks and hollering choruses instantly turned the linen-shirted men in the audience into rock gods and their wives into wanton groupies.

It couldn’t quite make the lame walk but it made them try, if only to feel a bit of the Stones old-fashioned magic for a moment.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Date: July 7, 2013 17:28

Rolling Stones Triumph in Hyde Park Homecoming

By Paul Sexton, London | July 07, 2013

Getty Images

Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie are all smiles as they roll through greatest hits during first Hyde Park show in 44 years

The great hope among longtime U.K. Stones-watchers, when the band announced three huge summer concerts, was that their Glastonbury and Hyde Park performances would put them truly front and center of the British public's imagination again. As in, not just with diehard fans, but admirers of all ages. Looking around a park of smiling faces, young and old, at their return to central London, there was an overwhelming sense of mission accomplished.

Forty-four years after the fabled free concert they gave just days after Brian Jones' death, direct comparisons with the original show were pointless, except to say that the energy and professionalism they exude at pensionable age outstrips anything they could ever muster in those days. They may have taken the stage with a, frankly, discordant opening to "Start Me Up," but within moments, the charismatic excitement they generate was irresistible.

n a quarter-century of watching the Stones, I don't think I've ever seen them all smile so much on stage, nor maintain quite such momentum throughout two hours of classic hits. On a glorious summer's evening, all of Hyde Park gazed in awe at Mick Jagger's boundless showmanship on the vast video screens, behind the giant model trees that framed the stage, and had a collective I'll-have-what-he's-having moment.

This set differed quite considerably from their Glastonbury headliner a week earlier: "Beast of Burden" was in for "Wild Horses," and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" was replaced by "Bitch," with a guest spot by Gary Clark Jr, who'd performed earlier on this "British Summer Time" bill. "All Down The Line" was drafted in as the fans' request selection of the evening.

But the secret to this sort of longevity is to perform every song as if you've never done it before, and may never again. Even with a second Hyde Park show due a week later, it was never going to be difficult to invest such an evocative location with a real sense of occasion, and Jagger was clearly loving that aspect of the evening too.

In one of many costume changes, he emerged for "Honky Tonk Women," a new song at the 1969 event, in an approximation of the white smock he famously wore that day, with a reference to "something I found at the back of the cupboard." Introducing Mick Taylor for his now de rigeur reunion appearance on an invigorating, 11-minute "Midnight Rambler," Jagger reminded us that the first Hyde Park was Taylor's first appearance with the band. "We just found him in the pub and put him on stage in front of 200,000 people," he said. "He's done it a few times since then."

Charlie Watts was at his most redoubtable in the engine room, beaming with uncommon regularity behind the smallest, yet most powerful drumkit in rock 'n' roll, and Ronnie Wood more match-fit and focused than ever. There's no doubt that he's inherited more lead guitar lines, with Keith Richards now often in the rhythm role. But the Human Riff looked far more relaxed than at Glasto, and his lead vocals on You Got The Silver and Before They Make Me Run were remarkably supple. "Bless you all," he said on their completion. "Gold rings on ya."

Thus they roared to the set's closing "Brown Sugar," and back for the double-barreled encore of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Satisfaction." Glitter shimmered in the twilight and fireworks whooshed and banged in approval. At this level of focused elation, further adventures in this impossible rock legend surely beckon.

[www.billboard.com]

Date: July 8, 2013 00:28

Keith & Ronnie #StonesHydePark @officialKeef @ronniewood

The view from the stage #StonesHydePark

@RollingStones

Date: July 8, 2013 00:35

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 8, 2013 00:35

They sure did smile a lot.

Date: July 8, 2013 00:38

Date: July 8, 2013 00:55

Rolling Stones at Hyde Park review: Five-star performance dripping with memorable moments

A near-immaculate set that not just recreated the Glastonbury crowd-pleasing histrionics, but arguably surpassed them

Rolling Stones at Hyde Park *****

7 Jul 2013 By Dan Silver

Getty Images

“Who was here in 1969?” asked Mick Jagger, referencing the Rolling Stones' historic Hyde Park show, held just two days after original guitarist Brian Jones’ death, at which a crowd estimated at a quarter of a million people turned up to pay their respects.

“Welcome back,” he said in response to those who stood with hands raised. “It’s nice to see you again.”

Back then, nobody had paid a penny to see the Stones; 44 years on, some tickets were changing prices for upwards of a thousand pounds.

Inevitably, the times, they have a changed.

And while a sizeable section of today’s audience weren’t even born the last time Mick and co ambled through Midnight Rambler here, the fact that they’d turned out in their thousands to tread in their parents’ sandal-steps speaks volumes about the band’s enduring appeal.

Things got off to a less than auspicious start.

Keith Richards fluffed not one, but two of opener Start Me Up’s opening three chords - a riff one suspects, given the number of times he’s played it, would be harder for him to play wrong than right.

Fortunately they proved to be the only bum notes of a near-immaculate set that not just recreated the previous weekend’s Glastonbury crowd-pleasing histrionics, but arguably surpassed them.

Richards looked more relaxed and far better dressed, trading licks and cigarette smoke with long-term sparring partner Ronnie Wood.

Drummer Charlie Watts was the epitome of insouciant cool, providing the rock-solid foundations from which the likes of It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (But I Like It), Honky Tonk Women and an epic Paint It Black were majestically constructed.

But for all his supporting cast’s charm, this Rolling Stones are now indisputably Mick Jagger’s band.

The incessant sashays and hip-swivels might surely now owe more to muscle memory than instinct but the singer, who will be a septuagenarian by the month’s end, commanded the stage with a timeless presence that will likely never be seen again.

Jagger strapped on a Telecaster for Doom and Gloom, the new song from the recent Grrr! greatest hits compilation that grooves enough to remind you that this isn’t solely about nostalgia.

Even if the weight of history was inescapable throughout, from the grainy footage projected on the big screens down to the fleeting presence of guitarist Mick Taylor, invited to rejoin the party and therefore complete a serendipitous circle that began with his debut here all those years ago.

And then there were the songs themselves. From the unimpeachable country swagger of Tumbling Dice to the disco strut of Miss You, this was a set dripping with memorable moments.

That said, nothing could compete with the set closing run of Gimme Shelter, Jumpin’ Jack Flash, Sympathy For the Devil and Brown Sugar - as peerless (and perfectly played) a quartet of songs as you’ll hear from any band on any stage at any point of time in history.

It was so good, in fact, that even the encore of You can’t Always Get What You Want and (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction - complete with grandiose glitter cannon and firework accompaniments - couldn’t compete.

Although by far the biggest disappointment was that the two-hour set had come to an end with a treasure chest of the band’s gems still unearthed.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 8, 2013 09:25

Still dazed from a fairly grueling trip back but ...

From where I stood, the guitars sounded totally full-on marvellous, and the rhythm section was cooking all down the line.
The Mick, bless his face, appeared to be having ongoing problems hearing whatever he needs to hear
to keep him in easy synch with the band, and he wasn't happy. But it sure was wonderful to see the Glimmer Love
and those radiant grins of "wtf, can't hear a thing - heads down, men, and meet you at the end!"
Only a truly tight band can experience fvckups like that and still carry the day. I love the Rolling Stones.

But did the stressed-out mess leading up to it all cast a stain on the white radiance of the show? Yes.
A badly abused crowd has a harder time truly losing themselves in a show. Shame on the organizers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 12:44 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 8, 2013 09:28

Fantastic pics.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 8, 2013 10:34

It was great! I had a good time, the show was great, and the weather was fantastic!!

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: July 10, 2013 04:12

Any English HA at the show this time?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 10, 2013 08:22

ARMY HAT GIRL !!!!.......long time no see ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KalleBlom ()
Date: July 10, 2013 16:11

Great pics!!!looking forward to a very awesome weekend in London!!!
smileys with beer

Love hurts - when you know what I mean

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: July 10, 2013 23:13

In the summer of '69 the event had a poignant tone. Their former bandmate and member Brian Jones had just died and there were those who said the Stones should not play in public so soon. Back then Jagger read out some words from Percy Bysshe Shelley's Adonais – the poem written to commemorate the death of his fellow poet John Keats. The lines suggested that Jones lived on, like a star, "from the abode where the Eternal are". In a discreet reference to the white butterflies that were released over the crowds all those years ago Jagger sported a blue butterfly on his jacket shoulders during I Miss You, in tribute to his lost friend.

I did not notice the butterfly, that was a nice touch. I was hoping to hear something about Brian on Saturday, but didn´t. So, this was good to read.

Thank you so much for the lovely photos and reviews!!! We loved it all! The sound was perfectly mixed (although could have been turned up a notch, but OK). Mick looked happy throughout, IMO...but then again we were further in the back and only saw them on the screens.

Date: July 10, 2013 23:22

Mick in that butterfly jacket last Saturday.

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: July 10, 2013 23:25

Nice! cool smiley

Date: July 11, 2013 16:59

Longtime Stones photographer Brian Rasic has posted some Hyde Park pictures on Facebook. Nice shot of the Mick and Keith.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: armyhatgirl ()
Date: July 11, 2013 18:58

Here I am Rock man!!! How are you?

Date: July 14, 2013 04:05

Second Saturday in London. Same place. Same clothes. ;-)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Date: July 14, 2013 04:07

Getty Images

Getty Images

Date: July 14, 2013 04:08

Getty Images

Getty Images

Date: July 14, 2013 04:16

Getty Images

Getty Images

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 14, 2013 17:29

Great pictures my friends thanks for posting....................

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2212
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home