Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Check out Gary Clark Jr!
Date: June 27, 2013 20:45

Blak And Blu is nothing but impressive, imo. A very natural mix of retro r&b and newer sounds. Great!

Nice title, btw smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-24 16:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Check out Gary Clark Jr!
Posted by: Jackglfc ()
Date: June 27, 2013 21:05

It's a pretty good album. I'm looking forward to see him at Hyde Park

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 27, 2013 22:48

Yes, that's a fine album.
There's actually quite a few bands/artists I would like to see the 6th and 13th.

Just bought the Valerie June album (she plays Hyde Park on the 13th). Sounds very promising.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 23, 2014 18:51

If you thought "Blak and Blu" was impressive, check out the Live CD he just released, it RRRRRIPS and RS agrees : [www.rollingstone.com]

I was very impressed when I saw him during Mick's White House gig in early 2012 and I posted that he would be the US guest for "50 and Counting" (you can look it up!) but I must say I was a bit disappointed when I saw him in Hyde Park last year, not much stage presence during his set (not played at the best time of course) and he messed up Bitch...so it's nice to have that LIVE album now ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 23, 2014 19:37

Blak And Blu was pretty good. Problem was he was way overhyped and treated him like the second coming of Jimi that when you finally heard it, it was kind of underwhelming.

I'm sure his live album is very good, and maybe I'll get around to listening to it, but I'm certainly not taking RS' word for it. They treat everyone like the messiah, and if there's actually someone that is doing rock music that is widely accepted, RS jerks them off to completion. Wouldn't ever trust their recommendation of that IMO.

Date: September 23, 2014 20:35

Yeah, after all they gave Mick 5 stars for GITD and were all over PC too ;-)

Having said that, anyone who likes blues/rock/guitar/groove is sure to enjoy that live album!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 23, 2014 21:21

Just got the Live album. It's amazing. He's playing with the spirit of Buddy Guy and Jimi Hendrix.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 23, 2014 22:50

just listened to the new album. it is f'n mighty!smoking smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 24, 2014 02:13

Saw him a few years ago. He's great, but unfair to be called the next Jimi Hendrix.

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: September 24, 2014 02:44

Count me as a fan. Blak and Blu tried to do too much, but when it was good, it was really good.

And the new live album burns!

I really like his approach to gigs; he doesn't use a set list--he and his band just go by intuition.

If you're curious, he made an appearance on the 2014 Grammy telecast. Without having actually looked, I'm sure it's on YouTube.

*cough*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-24 02:45 by Stoner72.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 24, 2014 15:49

Stoner72
Count me as a fan. Blak and Blu tried to do too much, but when it was good, it was really good.

And the new live album burns!

I really like his approach to gigs; he doesn't use a set list--he and his band just go by intuition.

If you're curious, he made an appearance on the 2014 Grammy telecast. Without having actually looked, I'm sure it's on YouTube.

*cough*

Saw him last spring, great show, his backup guitarist, Eric Zapata, puts on a show too, almost a 2 for 1!

I kind of agree, Blak and Blu didn't really know if it wanted to be a rock album, blues album, or soul album, but I guess there's nothing wrong with some variety, a little bit of something for everyone.

OTish: Gary Clark Jr - Hyde Park #1
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 10, 2014 21:57

For those of us who were at Hyde Park #1 last year, I don't think many people would disagree with me in saying that Gary Clark Jr was the best support act of the afternoon. (Anyone remember The Temper Trap? I recall the bass player turning himself up to ridiculously painful levels).

Anyway, I stumbled upon these pro-shot videos of a few songs from his set. The entire Hyde Park set is featured in his new live album in much higher quality too.

Enjoy!

Re: OTish: Gary Clark Jr - Hyde Park #1
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 10, 2014 22:14

Nice Bastion. Thanks for sharing. I recently got his Live album and it's great. Best blues album I've heard for ages.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 11, 2014 00:01

Thanks, I love him live. Saw him a while back at Farm Aid, and he was terrific there too. I didn't realize he had a live album--I'd been disappointed by his studio stuff, but will definitely seek out the live album! smiling smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 11, 2014 00:35

I was there but unfortunately arrived just as he was finishing,what's the name of his live album?

I did see the temper trap and I liked them a lot and then later that night I saw the stones for the first time ever and it blew me away and hooked me in.

I have now seen the stones 5 times and planning to go to South America if it happens.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nate

Date: October 11, 2014 00:42

Nate
I was there but unfortunately arrived just as he was finishing,what's the name of his live album?

Nate

Gary Clark Jr. Live. grinning smiley I just downloaded the mp3 while waiting for the vinyl to arrive.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 11, 2014 00:46

Aquamarine
Nate

Nate

Gary Clark Jr. Live. grinning smiley I just downloaded the mp3 while waiting for the vinyl to arrive.

As Silver Dagger has already said, you're both in for a treat!

Re: OT: Check out Gary Clark Jr!
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 11, 2014 13:24

Thanks for the info.

Nate

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 11, 2014 17:36

GCJr is one badass musician. Seen him with the Stones and I caught one of his shows. It was this past March(??) at Mr Smalls in Pittsburgh. Mr Smalls is an old church converted to a small music venue and recording studio.

Him and his band pretty much kicked ass. His other guitar player was rippin' it up too.

GCJr's board and amps. The other guitarist was using an old BF Bassman head and a white tolexed Dual Showman. Both players sounded great!

Date: September 4, 2015 10:46

New album "The Story Of Sonny Boy Slim" about to drop : [www.npr.org]

Can't wait to see him live in November !

--------------

Date: September 12, 2015 12:16

Great opening track, the rest is a bit "uneven" and like on B&B he throws in some pretty syrupy soul, odd...

--------------

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 12, 2015 12:21

gotdablouse
Great opening track, the rest is a bit "uneven" and like on B&B he throws in some pretty syrupy soul, odd...
Sounds like the first album lol.

Date: September 13, 2015 10:20

I think he's always going to be better live.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 13, 2015 10:40

His live album is ok, nothing special. Just a good album. In some moments so boring. I prefer John Mayer.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 14, 2015 00:05

I'm with MingSubu...he and his band blew the roof off the place when I saw him in July. Right up front, by his amp, at the 9:30 Club in DC. But, my son is with you, pepganzo, he prefers John Mayer.

I'm looking forward to his new album, I like this song. It sounds a bit like Prince.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-14 00:08 by latebloomer.

Date: June 23, 2019 12:58

Finally caught him live again last night (was due to see him at the Bataclan on November 16th, 2015...) and he was smokin' ! His third album "This Land" is a lot more solid than the first two IMHO and it came out really well live. Dude's an amazing guitar player obviously but sings well too with that wicked falsetto and has nice stories to tell. Those who will get him as an opening act this summer are in for a treat.

My recording came out pretty good and I put it on Dime here [www.dimeadozen.org] and it's also available on WT, good for 7 days : [we.tl] )

--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-23 16:23 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 23, 2019 18:46

gotdablouse
Finally caught him live again last night (was due to see him at the Bataclan on November 16th, 2015...) and he was smokin' ! His third album "This Land" is a lot more solid than the first two IMHO and it came out really well live. Dude's an amazing guitar player obviously but sings well too with that wicked falsetto and has nice stories to tell. Those who will get him as an opening act this summer are in for a treat.

My recording came out pretty good and I put it on Dime here [www.dimeadozen.org] and it's also available on WT, good for 7 days : [we.tl] )

merci!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 23, 2019 19:06

Pearl Cadillac blows me away every time I hear it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-23 19:26 by MingSubu.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 23, 2019 19:18

Clark is a phenomena on guitar. Saw Valerie June mentioned above. She is really great. Check her out on utoob if you wanna get a listen.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 23, 2019 19:32

I have seen (and recorded) him many times. He is excellent. Last time I saw him was at Bottlerock last month.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home