Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: "High Or Low" "Dont Apologize" and other Bridges to Babylon outtakes.
Date: August 22, 2014 19:25

GasLightStreet
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Can't believe no one's mentioned the infamous & rumored mash-up of 'Out Of Control' with the (great) Temptations' 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone'! I'd love to hear it.

This?

Thanks!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 22, 2014 23:52

Gazza
Theyre not available.

Most of the leftovers from BTB are songs with Keith on lead vocals (as was the case with Dirty Work)

reason for that probably being that BTB evolved out of two separate solo projects and for part of the sessions various members of the band were working on different songs in separate wings of the same studio

I'd add that Keef recorded with his posse in one room while Mick played with the Dust Bros (who?) in another one.
Despite the "DW part. II" ominous settings, I think BTB was a very good album.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 26, 2014 20:58

treaclefingers
Doxa
And I thought my passionate country-fellow seitan was back...sad smiley

That's the sadness in bringing back up old threads - and this is not even very old - like hearing voices behind the grave...

- Doxa

whatever happened to our seitanic friend? was he banned, or did he self-deactivate?

I missed teh question, sorry treacle..

I just don't know. There was some heated (political?) discussion, and suddenly he was gone.

- Doxa

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 27, 2014 03:42

B2B was NOT a Stones album. It was dualing Mick & Keef solo albums.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 27, 2014 04:08

<<B2B was NOT a Stones album. It was dualing Mick & Keef solo albums.>>

If Charlie plays drums on it, then it's a Stones album--unlike, say, Dirty Work, where you had Anton Zip from the Dave Letterman Show house band filling in.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 28, 2014 00:23

rbk

This just isn't true. I was at the session where they recorded the basic track to Flip the Switch (ten minutes long). They (the four) were playing together, eating together, there wasn't a load of people distracting. They may have brought in some material meant for solo albums, but it was a band album in the end.

Date: August 28, 2014 00:49

rbk

They did bring lyrics and arrangements to the table, but by that logic there are very few actual Stones albums.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: August 28, 2014 03:04

TeddyB1018
rbk

This just isn't true. I was at the session where they recorded the basic track to Flip the Switch (ten minutes long). They (the four) were playing together, eating together, there wasn't a load of people distracting. They may have brought in some material meant for solo albums, but it was a band album in the end.

Thanks for the info. Teddy. I'd like to hear that 10 minute FTS. I was always under the impression it was more a meshing of two solo projects as well. It's good to have that long-held misconception cleared up.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 28, 2014 13:05

TeddyB1018
rbk

Dear Teddy, whats the status on the new Keef album...

Please shed some light on it, if you please.
Thanks
jeroen

Date: August 28, 2014 13:18

TeddyB1018
rbk

This just isn't true. I was at the session where they recorded the basic track to Flip the Switch (ten minutes long). They (the four) were playing together, eating together,

thumbs up And the "solo" KR song TITNight was in fact a strict 50/50 composition between Keef and Mick.

Date: August 28, 2014 13:20

dcba
TeddyB1018
rbk

This just isn't true. I was at the session where they recorded the basic track to Flip the Switch (ten minutes long). They (the four) were playing together, eating together,

thumbs up And the "solo" KR song TITNight was in fact a strict 50/50 composition between Keef and Mick.

Why is Pierre credited, then? winking smiley

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 28, 2014 15:06

Haven't heard any new details on timing for the solo venture but I haven't been with anyone to ask. Maybe this weekend.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 28, 2014 15:59

TeddyB1018
Haven't heard any new details on timing for the solo venture but I haven't been with anyone to ask. Maybe this weekend.

Thanks a lot Teddy. Thanks for informing us everytime, great !! Hope to hear/read from you soon about Keefs solo adventure.
Jeroen

Date: August 28, 2014 16:04

DandelionPowderman

the "solo" KR song TITNight was in fact a strict 50/50 composition between Keef and Mick.[/b]

Why is Pierre credited, then? winking smiley[/quote]

That's what Mick explained to Pierre : "we split the songwriting rights 50/50 between Keef and me and you Pierre get the rest..." smoking smiley
No wodner why PDB still works as a guitar tech for keef to pay the bills! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 28, 2014 16:16

keefriffhard4life
maybe the stones will release a cd with outtakes from the 90's and include some of these songs on it

I'd be very much interested in such a CD.

Also, thank you for this thread guys. It's a great read.

Date: August 28, 2014 16:21

dcba
DandelionPowderman

the "solo" KR song TITNight was in fact a strict 50/50 composition between Keef and Mick.[/b]

Why is Pierre credited, then? winking smiley

That's what Mick explained to Pierre : "we split the songwriting rights 50/50 between Keef and me and you Pierre get the rest..." smoking smiley
No wodner why PDB still works as a guitar tech for keef to pay the bills! >grinning smiley<[/quote]

grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 28, 2014 16:39

Lowdown sounds like something Keith laid down with just Charlie.

I'd love to hear the other Keith songs. The three he has on BTB are incredible.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 28, 2014 21:53

stonehearted

If Charlie plays drums on it, then it's a Stones album--unlike, say, Dirty Work, where you had Anton Zip from the Dave Letterman Show house band filling in.

Anton Fig only did some percussion (and bassdrum) on 2-3 songs on DW.

Ron Wood plays the drums on Sleep Tonight

Possibly Steve Jordan on Too Rude and Back to Zero, or CW plays BtZ with Fig rerecording the bassdrumpart.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: August 28, 2014 22:09

GasLightStreet
Lowdown sounds like something Keith laid down with just Charlie.

(When we wrote it), I started playing drums in the studio and Keith playing guitar... It was only Keith and me. So I am playing the drums and he is playing guitar. It was quite fun. - Mick Jagger, 1997

Low Down is the first song that Mick and I wrote specifically for Bridges To Babylon. - Keith Richards, 1998

Date: August 28, 2014 23:25

audun-eg
stonehearted

Anton Fig only did some percussion (and bassdrum) on 2-3 songs on DW.

Ron Wood plays the drums on Sleep Tonight

Possibly Steve Jordan on Too Rude and Back to Zero, or CW plays BtZ with Fig rerecording the bassdrumpart.

Steve is on Too Rude (with the echo machine smiling smiley )

Date: August 29, 2014 16:01

I knew Ronnie drums on Sleep Tonight. I wondered about the rest. I never thought Too Rude was Charlie. Steve Jordan makes sense. Charlie played on all but two tracks? They talk like he's barely on the LP. So it should read...

Line-up ‘One Hit’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr, bvoc)/BW (bass)/
CW (dr)/Jimmy Page (gtr)/Bobby Womack (bvoc)/Don Covay (bvoc)/
Patti Scialfa (bvoc)/Bevery D’Angelo (bvoc)/Chuck Leavell (keyb)

Line-up ‘Fight’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr, bass, bvoc)/CW (dr)/Chuck
Leavell (org)/Ivan Neville, Steve Jordan & Charley Drayton (bvoc)

Line-up ‘Harlem Shuffle’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr, bvoc)/BW (bass)/
CW (dr)/Bobby Womack (bvoc)/Tom Waits (bvoc)/Chuck Leavell
(org, synth)

Line-up ‘Hold Back’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr)/RW (gtr)/CW (dr)/Ivan Neville (bass)/
Bobby Womack (gtr)/Chuck Leavell (org)

Line-up ‘Too Rude’: KR (voc, gtr)/RW (gtr, bass)/Steve Jordan (dr)/Jimmy Cliff
(bvoc)/Chuck Leavell (p)

Line-up ‘Winning Ugly’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr)/RW (gtr)/John Regan? (bass)/
CW (dr)/Chuck Leavell (synth)/Janice Pendarvis and Dollette
McDonald (bvoc)

Line-up ‘Back To Zero’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr)/RW (bass)/CW (dr)/Bobby
Womack (gtr)/Chuck Leavell (org)/Marku Ribas (perc)/Philippe
Saisse (keyb)/Dan Collette (tp)

Line-up ‘Dirty Work’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr, bvoc)/BW (bass)/
CW (dr)/Chuck Leavell (org)

Line-up ‘Had It With You’: MJ (voc, harm)/KR (gtr)/RW (gtr, sax)/CW (dr)

Line-up ‘Sleep Tonight’: KR (voc, gtr, p, bass)/RW (dr, bvoc)/Chuck
Leavell (synth)/Bobby Womack and/or Don Covay (bvoc)
Note: Also Anton Fig (dr and/or perc) and Alan Rogan (gtr) on some of the tracks.

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Date: August 29, 2014 16:10

I'm not sure if Ronnie plays guitar at all on Fight.

I don't think Bobby played guitar on other tracks than Back To Zero.

Anton Fig probably patched together Ronnie's drumming.

Ronnie Wood's solo on Hold Back has the exact same sound as Jimmy Page's solo on One Hit (To The Body)...

Date: August 29, 2014 16:17

DandelionPowderman

Ronnie Wood's solo on Hold Back has the exact same sound as Jimmy Page's solo on One Hit (To The Body)...

Ha ha! You've listened to that LP a lot huh!? That's funny.

That LP's lifespan was very short for me. I loved Harlem Shuffle, the 12 inch release, as well as One Hit. The LP was sort of... since it was new I played it a lot. By the end of 1986 I stopped listening to it. When it came out on Virgin (on CD that is) I got it, just out of being an idiot 'gotta get 'em all' kind of record buyer, and listened to it a few times.

It's like having a really bad TV picture in HD. It's really difficult to listen to.

BRIDGES, on the other hand - what a breath of fresh air. Their most vibrant LP since UNDERCOVER I thought.

Date: August 29, 2014 16:26

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Ha ha! You've listened to that LP a lot huh!? That's funny.

That LP's lifespan was very short for me. I loved Harlem Shuffle, the 12 inch release, as well as One Hit. The LP was sort of... since it was new I played it a lot. By the end of 1986 I stopped listening to it. When it came out on Virgin (on CD that is) I got it, just out of being an idiot 'gotta get 'em all' kind of record buyer, and listened to it a few times.

It's like having a really bad TV picture in HD. It's really difficult to listen to.

BRIDGES, on the other hand - what a breath of fresh air. Their most vibrant LP since UNDERCOVER I thought.

I have listened A LOT to all Stones-albums, including DW grinning smiley

It sounds like Ronnie and Page used the same amp and the same guitar for those two tunes (OH and Hcool smiley.

Date: August 29, 2014 16:34

I used to listen to them all a lot. Then I got interested in where the edits were and how the guitars would go in and out of the mix and on DW it's just pointless to listen at all. Not because of the editing and certainly not because of the mix...

SOME GIRLS probably has the most edited songs on it. EMOTIONAL RESCUE probably has the most interesting mixes for their 'modern' ie 24 or more track recordings. She's So Cold has a guitar arrive in the middle of the song that you can't even notice.

Date: August 29, 2014 16:37

GasLightStreet
I used to listen to them all a lot. Then I got interested in where the edits were and how the guitars would go in and out of the mix and on DW it's just pointless to listen at all. Not because of the editing and certainly not because of the mix...

SOME GIRLS probably has the most edited songs on it. EMOTIONAL RESCUE probably has the most interesting mixes for their 'modern' ie 24 or more track recordings. She's So Cold has a guitar arrive in the middle of the song that you can't even notice.

During the entire Chris Kimsey era, you'll find mystery guitars and incredible edits. That guy was a master of tape editing. It's incredible.

Date: August 29, 2014 22:31

"Line-up ‘One Hit’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr, bvoc)/BW (bass)/
CW (dr)"

I never believed for one minute that Charlie is on this track. The drumming is muscular and deprived of any subtility = it can't be Mr. Watts!
So it's either Jordan or Fig...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 6, 2017 02:25

Couldn't resist bumping that thread since Keith and Sheryl Crow are apparently working together again, not on "High or Low" unfortunately...[www.rollingstone.com]

In the meantime, she's also working on an all-star record with Don Henley, Stevie Nicks, Willie Nelson, Vince Gill, Kris Kristofferson and many others. Several of the songs are new, though she's duetting with Keith Richards on the 1994 Rolling Stones tune "The Worst"

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: January 6, 2017 03:08

Doxa
treaclefingers
Doxa
And I thought my passionate country-fellow seitan was back...sad smiley

That's the sadness in bringing back up old threads - and this is not even very old - like hearing voices behind the grave...

- Doxa

whatever happened to our seitanic friend? was he banned, or did he self-deactivate?

I missed teh question, sorry treacle..

I just don't know. There was some heated (political?) discussion, and suddenly he was gone.

- Doxa

Thankfully we'll have none of that here, Doxa. smileys with beer That kind of chatter can really bring out the worst in us all. My brain's been battered. Won't you join the IORRans again for a discussion? Just don't complain about Keith too much. You must have some other stuff to say?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 6, 2017 09:17

Jan. 10, 2002: Keith collaboration with Sheryl Crow

"Keith and Sheryl Crow have been working on a song called "High or Low", she told reporters backstage at the American Music Awards in Los Angeles last night. It is still a work-in-progress and it won't be on her album, which comes out in a few months.

...and then 'High or Low' disappeared!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home