Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
"High Or Low" "Dont Apologize" and other Bridges to Babylon outtakes.
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: June 25, 2013 12:48

I was reading an interview with Rob Fraboni and he mentioned few songs Keith recorded for the Bridges To Babylon album, that didnt make it on the album.

"High Or Low" and "Dont Apologize" - with Keef on vocals.
And then there was a song called " Young Love" with Keith on vocals, Waddy Wachetel on acoustic guitars, Don Was on upright bass and Jim Keltner playing a cardboard box

and there's a unreleased acoustic solo number from Keith called " I'm Cured" from the same sessions. Rob Fraboni considered that these songs should be released, cause they were so great.

Well, I havent heard them..so I wonder, Has anyone heard these outtakes and are they available on any bootlegs ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-25 13:31 by seitan.

Re: "High Or Low" "Dont Apologize" and other Bridges to Babylon outtakes.
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 25, 2013 13:35

"Young Love" with Waddy Wachtel on guitar? Good job they left THAT one off the album..

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 25, 2013 14:12

Theyre not available.

Most of the leftovers from BTB are songs with Keith on lead vocals (as was the case with Dirty Work)

reason for that probably being that BTB evolved out of two separate solo projects and for part of the sessions various members of the band were working on different songs in separate wings of the same studio

Considering there were an unprecedented three songs on the album featuring Keith on vocals, it was probably more of a commercial/common sense decision to leave these songs off the album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 25, 2013 14:33

Not saying it's pure gospel but Karnbach lists these .....

The Complete Recording Guide to the Rolling Stones
James Karnbach & Carol Bernson

ROCKMAN

Date: June 25, 2013 14:40

Surprising that they didnt release any non-album b-sides other than 'Anyway you look at it' (which was a B-side of the 2nd single)

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: June 25, 2013 15:12

KR gave High Or Low to Sheryl Crow, which both recorded in NYC in April 2001.
Unfortunately this one remains unreleased too.

N

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: June 25, 2013 15:28

I think Ever-changing world" and another track were rumoured for the Japanse release.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: June 25, 2013 18:37

On the Rob Fraboni article - Fraboni says that he was dissapointed with the album, cause some of the best songs were not included on the final product and that band went into wrong direction production wise.

He mentioned that the orginal version of "You Might As Well Get Juiced" was a really cool traditional blues song at first, but Mick decided to make it more commercial and modern with synths.
i]"You Dont Have Mean It"[/i] started out as straight ahead 50's style rocker, - it sounded like a Buddy Holly or Eddie Cochran song, - until Keith decided to give it a try with a reggae groove. In Rob Fraboni's opinion the orginal rock version was much better than the final reggae version that got released,

I would love to hear the earlier versions of these songs.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 25, 2013 19:19

Who wouldn't !

Stoneswolf
I think Ever-changing world" and another track were rumoured for the Japanse release.

Only "Ever Changing World" as far as I can remember, for a Japanese B-Side.

Everyone ready for a blast from the past : [www.iorr.org] ;-) Note the title of the page, "blessed", since the working title (per Charlie I believe) was "Blessed Poison"!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 25, 2013 19:37

Jan. 10, 2002: Keith collaboration with Sheryl Crow

Keith and Sheryl Crow have been working on a song called "High or Low", she told reporters backstage at the American Music Awards in Los Angeles last night. It is still a work-in-progress and it won't be on her album, which comes out in a few months.

Date: April 21, 2011 21:42
Posted by: Rocky Dijon

(...) Every so often someone is kind enough to pass along information on Keith being back in the studio but in the end it usually turns out to just be Keith doing a quick overdub or backing vocal for someone else's album (Lee "Scratch" Perry, Marianne Faithfull, Sheryl Crow, and most recently Tom Waits). The recent news that Keith and Ronnie were in the studio with Chuck Leavell turned out to be for Chuck's next album. So it was that I greeted the news posted here about Keith moving 100 pieces of gear with X-Pensive Winos lettering with skepticism.
Keith hasn't exactly appeared productive outside of the Stones. There were sessions with the Winos after the VOODOO LOUNGE tour but like Mick's abandoned sessions at the same time, the tracks were cannibalized to make BRIDGES TO BABYLON and most of Keith's downtime was spent working on Wingless Angels or on his sister-in-law's gospel album. There were hopeful signs of Keith's logging studio time with Rob Fraboni, Blondie Chaplin, and George Recile in 2000 and 2001 but at the end of the day all we have to show for it are covers of "You Win Again" and "Still a Fool." Great stuff to be sure, but where's the album with a reworked version of the BRIDGES outtake "High or Low" featuring Sheryl Crow on vocals?
(....)

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: June 25, 2013 21:45

"Ever-changing World" was one of the first tracks I remember reading about. Rolling Stone mentioned it in one of their earliest previews of the album.

Date: June 25, 2013 22:39

...and what about "Smooth 180"?!
In Chuck Leavell's book "Between a Rock and a Home Place" he mentions a song Keith recorded during the Licks sessions called "Smooth 180." Chuck said it was a fun track and that he hopes it will be released one day.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 25, 2013 23:28

The day will eventually come when Keith solo stuff is commercially released in some format or other. We will probably hear a number of these tracks then. Admittedly, not the BTB versions.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 26, 2013 02:07

Rockman

Any idea why Kenny Aranoff is listed? He's Mellencamp's former drummer and a favorite of mine. He always struck me as Charlie on crack (in a good way!) Was he credited on Bridges for anything?

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 26, 2013 02:13

carlorossi
Rockman

Any idea why Kenny Aranoff is listed? He's Mellencamp's former drummer and a favorite of mine. He always struck me as Charlie on crack (in a good way!) Was he credited on Bridges for anything?

Wow....I always thought he was the "anti-Charlie", always up front, loud, ahead of the beat, pushing the music, very, "white" if you will.

Date: June 26, 2013 03:03

Thrylan
Wow....I always thought he was the "anti-Charlie", always up front, loud, ahead of the beat, pushing the music, very, "white" if you will.

Well, that's where the crack comes insmiling smiley I know what you mean, he doesn't swing or have any subtlety and they always have him way up in the mix, but his snare snap evokes Charlie, imo. The stuff from Scarecrow is what I'm talking about. [www.youtube.com]

Date: June 26, 2013 03:21

carlorossi
Rockman

he plays 'bucket' on 'Already over Me'.

Date: June 26, 2013 04:11

......for a good laugh check da Dust Bros' Babylon stories
in bonus section Disc-5 of the Just For The Record DVD set .....

Great insight onto the recording of Bridges ..... The Keith bit is a screemer

ROCKMAN

Date: June 26, 2013 08:31

Gazza
he plays 'bucket' on 'Already over Me'.[/i]

I can picture the conversation that led to that session. But thanks Gazza for the info, news to me.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 26, 2013 10:32

carlorossi
Gazza
he plays 'bucket' on 'Already over Me'.[/i]

I can picture the conversation that led to that session. But thanks Gazza for the info, news to me.

I just remember some live footage from the late 90's, early 2000's where he was pushing things big time......but he is a professional.

Date: June 27, 2013 00:12

maybe the stones will release a cd with outtakes from the 90's and include some of these songs on it

Date: June 27, 2013 00:16

Rockman
......for a good laugh check da Dust Bros' Babylon stories
in bonus section Disc-5 of the Just For The Record DVD set .....

Great insight onto the recording of Bridges ..... The Keith bit is a screemer

I've heard about that set a few times now, is it "official" stuff or has it been posted before ?

Date: June 27, 2013 00:25

....it's an unofficial set that goes for a cheap price...
The bonus footage on all the discs is well worth watching ...

a quick check and there's plenty of sets available ---- [www.amazon.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: June 27, 2013 00:45

Thanks, looks like I'll be ordering it!

Date: June 29, 2013 10:28

'Smooth stuff' (BTB sessions) and 'Smooth 180' (40 Licks sessions)...the same song?! Time will tell...

Date: August 22, 2014 05:59

Can't believe no one's mentioned the infamous & rumored mash-up of 'Out Of Control' with the (great) Temptations' 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone'! I'd love to hear it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 22, 2014 10:58

And I thought my passionate country-fellow seitan was back...sad smiley

That's the sadness in bringing back up old threads - and this is not even very old - like hearing voices behind the grave...

- Doxa

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: August 22, 2014 15:30

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Can't believe no one's mentioned the infamous & rumored mash-up of 'Out Of Control' with the (great) Temptations' 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone'! I'd love to hear it.

it's on BTB Remixes vol 1

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 22, 2014 15:41

Doxa
And I thought my passionate country-fellow seitan was back...sad smiley

That's the sadness in bringing back up old threads - and this is not even very old - like hearing voices behind the grave...

- Doxa

whatever happened to our seitanic friend? was he banned, or did he self-deactivate?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 22, 2014 17:06

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

This?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-06 19:18 by GasLightStreet.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home