Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Doesn't Taylor have a guitar tech?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:22

bv
This is from Sway in Boston last night. Men at work. Pierre and Mick Taylor.

Judging by this picture, Taylor has not a tiny todger. grinning smiley

Isnt it a q about monitors? He doesnt hear himself on stage?

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:29

Redhotcarpet
bv

In Taylor's case, I think it's pretty clearly that he needs the distortion from the Blues Driver pedal in order to solo properly.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:50

Mel Belli
Redhotcarpet
bv

In Taylor's case, I think it's pretty clearly that he needs the distortion from the Blues Driver pedal in order to solo properly.

Judging Taylor's sound, this Pierre ain't got a clue what he's doing.

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:51

nankerphlege
bv
Phil Good
Who in the band is using that new Magnatone amp in Bjornulfs pic above (Men at Work)?
Billy F Gibbons is using that amp for some months now and it's sounding great. I'm considering to order one from Cliff Cultreri.

Mick Taylor of course...
It wasn't Gary Clark's ? I thought MT was using a vt40

He started the tour using just the VT40 but later added the Magnatone.

Date: June 13, 2013 22:55

SundanceKid
nankerphlege
bv
Phil Good
Who in the band is using that new Magnatone amp in Bjornulfs pic above (Men at Work)?
Billy F Gibbons is using that amp for some months now and it's sounding great. I'm considering to order one from Cliff Cultreri.

Mick Taylor of course...

I suggest he starts using a VT22.winking smiley

Date: June 13, 2013 23:17

Taylor's playing is fine. Like I said: I don't care who you are—Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Beck, Brian May, Jimmy Page—if you play straight through an amp, you're going to sound underwhelming. Even without the pedal, Taylor made the best of it last night...

Date: June 13, 2013 23:27

Mel Belli
Taylor's playing is fine. Like I said: I don't care who you are—Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Beck, Brian May, Jimmy Page—if you play straight through an amp, you're going to sound underwhelming. Even without the pedal, Taylor made the best of it last night...

In the 7-tees he didn't use a pedal and he sounded overwhelming
Is this Pierre a plumber?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 13, 2013 23:30

svt22
Mel Belli

Then why didn't he use his pedal, is this Pierre a plumber?

His name is Joe actually, svt.

btw I read somewhere that pedals and other stuff aren't allowed on stage cause of Jagger moving there.

Date: June 13, 2013 23:33

kleermaker
svt22
Mel Belli

Then why didn't he use his pedal, is this Pierre a plumber?

His name is Joe actually, svt.

btw I read somewhere that pedals and other stuff aren't allowed on stage cause of Jagger moving there.

Then Jagger shouldn't be allowed moving there. cool smiley
Sound comes first, followed by show. What happened to the greatest R&R band in the world? Pathetic.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 13, 2013 23:36

...it's just a Spinal Tap thing ...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 13, 2013 23:52

svt22

Sound comes first, followed by show. What happened to the greatest R&R band in the world? Pathetic.

Well, nothing new. It's the case since decades.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 13, 2013 23:52

DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli
A few impressions in no particular order:

1) You're supposed to be louder than the rest of the band during a solo.

2) Probably because Mick wants the stage free of anything he might trip on, all guitar effects are run by the techs. You often see Ronnie turn over his right shoulder when he needs more volume for a solo. The only time you'll ever see him engage something with his foot is when he uses a wah pedal.

3) Like 99.9% of guitarists, Mick Taylor uses a stomp box to solo. Keith doesn't use anything; and in my opinion, his bone-dry tone sounds like utter crap when he attempts a lead.

4) Stones guest guitarists (from Angus Young to Keith Urban) are considerlby handicapped by not having their own gear. I don't care *how* good you are; playing straight through an amp is going to cramp your style when it comes time to solo. The only time I ever recall someone being totally in his element and in command was Clapton in Atlantic City, '89.

5) Relying on Pierre to kick on the overdrive is inefficient and suboptimal, at best. If he can't hear himself, or if the "clean" setting is robbing him of the sustain every soloist needs to do their tricks, he's not going to be able to do the things he wants to do. Same as a golfer with a shitty set of clubs or a stockcar driver with Prius. Gear matters.

Good points!

But Keith has always used his volume knob for solos. His rhythm sound is round 7, 5 in volume, and then he cranks it before his solo.

He had a sgomp box on the VL tour, though. I remember that on Satisfaction in particular

1) Not really. These days during a solo the volume is boosted by the PA and monitor mixer. You mostly want a stompbox of any kind to get a bit more drive and sustain, not volume. Also, adjustments on amps are rarely made anymore. For every show the same settings are used, and the only real adjustments are in the monitor and PA mix. But even then, after so many shows, all you really need is a line check, checking all microphones are working, and all othere settings are preprogrammed and slightly adjusted during the first song or so. During festivals, band set up their gear on carts behind the stage, and then only a line check is performed.

2) Yes for Wood and Richards, but Taylor's pedals are right by his amp, so he kicks them in himself.

3) Both Wood and Richards use stomboxes to drive their solo's since 1975. Before that they used the volume pot on the guitar. They used, next to te guitar volume pots, MXR EQ's and distortion in '75 and '76, full 19 inch racks for 1978 and 1979, they used the boost of the Boogie MKIIB's Coloseum's in 1981 and 1982. Sometimes effects where handled by the guitar techs, sometimes by themselves, like the phase 100, delay and boost in 1981/82. Since '89 both have quite a rack full of effects, albeit quite old fashioned. But Richards uses drives and boosters as well for his solo. There's a pic in the Ratbag Boogie thread with all the effect gear.

4) Any decent guitarist knows how to get a great rhythm sound with the guitar volume pot on 8, and a great solo sound with the pot on 10, especially with the vast amount of great amps the Stones have lying around. With any good Deluxe or Twin its easy to get a great rhtyhm and lead guitar sound just using your guitar's volume.

And even then -all the guests take their own equipment and their own techs to a Stones gig. Do you really think Clapton would play a TV gig with the Stones on borrowed gear? Sure not. He had his own gear, own tech, and uses a full scale effect rack and his TBX boost on the guitar when he solo's. Look at all the amps on stage during this tour -all expensive, boutique amps never used by the Stones, all brought in by their guests.

5) Keith has been relying on Pierre since 89 for his solo's, and basically any pro guitarist these days relies on his tech for solo's etc. That's all rehearsed for each and every song, also with the PA and monitor mixers, and even with the lighting crew. With the PA and monitor mixers I bet it is even programmed in -when Richards does a solo, the mixers just hit a button and all settings go to something pre-programmed.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 23:58 by Mathijs.

Date: June 13, 2013 23:56

svt22
SundanceKid
nankerphlege
bv
Phil Good

Mick Taylor of course...

A VT22 is way too loud for modern stages. You would need an attenuator to tone it down if you want some good drive, and they just suck sound.

Mathijs

Date: June 14, 2013 00:33

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli

2) Probably because Mick wants the stage free of anything he might trip on, all guitar effects are run by the techs. You often see Ronnie turn over his right shoulder when he needs more volume for a solo. The only time you'll ever see him engage something with his foot is when he uses a wah pedal.

3) Like 99.9% of guitarists, Mick Taylor uses a stomp box to solo. Keith doesn't use anything; and in my opinion, his bone-dry tone sounds like utter crap when he attempts a lead.

4) Stones guest guitarists (from Angus Young to Keith Urban) are considerlby handicapped by not having their own gear. I don't care *how* good you are; playing straight through an amp is going to cramp your style when it comes time to solo. The only time I ever recall someone being totally in his element and in command was Clapton in Atlantic City, '89.

5) Relying on Pierre to kick on the overdrive is inefficient and suboptimal, at best. If he can't hear himself, or if the "clean" setting is robbing him of the sustain every soloist needs to do their tricks, he's not going to be able to do the things he wants to do. Same as a golfer with a shitty set of clubs or a stockcar driver with Prius. Gear matters.

Good points!

But Keith has always used his volume knob for solos. His rhythm sound is round 7, 5 in volume, and then he cranks it before his solo.

He had a sgomp box on the VL tour, though. I remember that on Satisfaction in particular

1) Not really. These days during a solo the volume is boosted by the PA and monitor mixer. You mostly want a stompbox of any kind to get a bit more drive and sustain, not volume. Also, adjustments on amps are rarely made anymore. For every show the same settings are used, and the only real adjustments are in the monitor and PA mix. But even then, after so many shows, all you really need is a line check, checking all microphones are working, and all othere settings are preprogrammed and slightly adjusted during the first song or so. During festivals, band set up their gear on carts behind the stage, and then only a line check is performed.

2) Yes for Wood and Richards, but Taylor's pedals are right by his amp, so he kicks them in himself.

3) Both Wood and Richards use stomboxes to drive their solo's since 1975. Before that they used the volume pot on the guitar. They used, next to te guitar volume pots, MXR EQ's and distortion in '75 and '76, full 19 inch racks for 1978 and 1979, they used the boost of the Boogie MKIIB's Coloseum's in 1981 and 1982. Sometimes effects where handled by the guitar techs, sometimes by themselves, like the phase 100, delay and boost in 1981/82. Since '89 both have quite a rack full of effects, albeit quite old fashioned. But Richards uses drives and boosters as well for his solo. There's a pic in the Ratbag Boogie thread with all the effect gear.

4) Any decent guitarist knows how to get a great rhythm sound with the guitar volume pot on 8, and a great solo sound with the pot on 10, especially with the vast amount of great amps the Stones have lying around. With any good Deluxe or Twin its easy to get a great rhtyhm and lead guitar sound just using your guitar's volume.

And even then -all the guests take their own equipment and their own techs to a Stones gig. Do you really think Clapton would play a TV gig with the Stones on borrowed gear? Sure not. He had his own gear, own tech, and uses a full scale effect rack and his TBX boost on the guitar when he solo's. Look at all the amps on stage during this tour -all expensive, boutique amps never used by the Stones, all brought in by their guests.

5) Keith has been relying on Pierre since 89 for his solo's, and basically any pro guitarist these days relies on his tech for solo's etc. That's all rehearsed for each and every song, also with the PA and monitor mixers, and even with the lighting crew. With the PA and monitor mixers I bet it is even programmed in -when Richards does a solo, the mixers just hit a button and all settings go to something pre-programmed.

Mathijs

Thanks for the info. However:

1) You didn't contradict my point here; just made it in a different way.

4) I'm hard-pressed to believe Angus Young had the full setup he's accustomed to from what I hear in this video:

[www.youtube.com]

5) This may be so, but it never ceases to amaze how often Ronnie isn't turned up until he's halfway through his solos....

What's your theory, then, for why both Keith and Ronnie sound less "processed," if you will, today then they did in '89? (See my post above, and, to add to it, recall the effect you hear on Flashpoint's "Start Me Up," plus whatever phaser Ronnie used on Beast of Burden from the late-'70s through the Voodoo Lounge tour) If they're not employing less in the way of effects, I'm at a loss to explain the narrowing of tone.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 14, 2013 00:37

Mel Belli
but it never ceases to amaze how often Ronnie isn't turned up until he's halfway through his solos....

It struck to me on the Boston and Chicago Sway as well: Ronnie's first notes were hardly audible if at all. Not only problems for Taylor's guitar last night.

Date: June 14, 2013 00:41

Mathijs
svt22
SundanceKid
nankerphlege
bv
Phil Good

Mick Taylor of course...

A VT22 is way too loud for modern stages. You would need an attenuator to tone it down if you want some good drive, and they just suck sound.

Mathijs

I know. People should get foam plugs for free then.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:48

Mathijs
Agreed! I'm not a pro, but when I play guitar with bands I tend to perform better when I just have my volume knob and nothing else except the actual playing to bother with. Back in the late '60s, you could see Hendrix use a Fuzzface, Uni-Vibe and Wah simultaneously, but this was rare and more or less outrageous for that time. Most guitarists played straight into their amps and they tended to sound fantastic. Just listen to Santana or The Who.

Mathijs
I guess you're right, and it makes me kinda sad. Having the tech control the lighting rig -- fine -- but let the guitarists operate their instruments ... jeez, where have the last inkling of spontaneity gone?

Date: June 14, 2013 00:49

Mel Belli
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli

Good points!

Mathijs

4) I'm hard-pressed to believe Angus Young had the full setup he's accustomed to from what I hear in this video:

[www.youtube.com]

5) This may be so, but it never ceases to amaze how often Ronnie isn't turned up until he's halfway through his solos....

What's your theory, then, for why both Keith and Ronnie sound less "processed," if you will, today then they did in '89? (See my post above, and, to add to it, recall the effect you hear on Flashpoint's "Start Me Up," plus whatever phaser Ronnie used on Beast of Burden from the late-'70s through the Voodoo Lounge tour) If they're not employing less in the way of effects, I'm at a loss to explain the narrowing of tone.

[www.youtube.com]

1) my contradiction was that you don't need to be louder, but that you like some more drive and sustain from a pedal.

4) I agree with you that the Young brothers seem very much where dragged on stage and given a guitar and amp. I believe Jagger stated that Malcolm didn't even want to.

5) I agree, I have noticed that too.

I don't know if there's much of a theory -in 89 they simply did sound more compressed and effect-ed than today, but that was the fashion of the time. In the late 80's you couldn't play a guitar without a compressor, EQ, line booster, chorus and at least something digital.

Mathijs

Date: June 14, 2013 01:20

Mathijs
Mel Belli
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli

Good points!

Mathijs

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

1) my contradiction was that you don't need to be louder, but that you like some more drive and sustain from a pedal.

4) I agree with you that the Young brothers seem very much where dragged on stage and given a guitar and amp. I believe Jagger stated that Malcolm didn't even want to.

I don't know if there's much of a theory -in 89 they simply did sound more compressed and effect-ed than today, but that was the fashion of the time. In the late 80's you couldn't play a guitar without a compressor, EQ, line booster, chorus and at least something digital.

Mathijs

1) I agree with that; you can certainly have high saturation at low volume. Although I'm sure you'd agree, too, that, generally speaking, a guitar solo is going to feature more drive as well as higher volume. Pushing an amp until it "breaks up" speaks to this complementarity...

Maybe it's blasphemous to say, but I think Keith and Ronnie both sounded great in '89-'90. Loved the Music Man Silouhettes they played on that tour.

Date: June 14, 2013 10:11

Mel Belli
Mathijs
Mel Belli
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli

Good points!

Mathijs

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

1) I agree with that; you can certainly have high saturation at low volume. Although I'm sure you'd agree, too, that, generally speaking, a guitar solo is going to feature more drive as well as higher volume. Pushing an amp until it "breaks up" speaks to this complementarity...

Maybe it's blasphemous to say, but I think Keith and Ronnie both sounded great in '89-'90. Loved the Music Man Silouhettes they played on that tour.

Actually, when an amp starts breaking up pushing the volume doesn't increase the volume anymore but only adds overdrive. So a volume/boost/drive pedal going into the pre-gain of an amp (so simply into the input) will not add volume when the pre-gain of the amp is overdriven already. If you want more volume you can put the volume pedal into the effects loop of the amp, so then the power amp gets increased in volume, not the pre-amp. That's how most hard rock / metal players do it.

I actually love the sound of those Silhouttes, they have fantastic necks too, but I think they look horrible. Keith's black Silhoutte was for sale sometime ago, I think he still has the white one.

Mathijs

Date: June 14, 2013 10:20

Yeah, I've played the Silhoette, too, and it was indeed awesome.

I don't think Ronnie got the best out of his guitar on that tour, though. Keith sounded fantastic.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: June 14, 2013 10:42

Keith's sound through the PA this tour is pretty close to the (mostly direct from his amp) sound at the Trabendo or the (fully direct) sound we heard when they let us in at Bondy - only lacking a bit on dynamics and brightness.

Those who where at Bondy will probably remember forever the power and brightness of Keith's first chords when they started playing.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 14, 2013 10:52

His Majesty
nankerphlege
bv
Phil Good

Mick Taylor of course...

Tis possible to use two amps at once, but it might not be Taylor who is using it.

Maybe Jaggers for Doom and Gloom?

smiling smiley

In this pic here (thanks to Nellcote from Rocksoff) you can see three
amps on Taylor's side. Still not sure that it's him who uses the magnatone.

Date: June 14, 2013 15:10

Mathijs

Actually, when an amp starts breaking up pushing the volume doesn't increase the volume anymore but only adds overdrive. So a volume/boost/drive pedal going into the pre-gain of an amp (so simply into the input) will not add volume when the pre-gain of the amp is overdriven already. If you want more volume you can put the volume pedal into the effects loop of the amp, so then the power amp gets increased in volume, not the pre-amp. That's how most hard rock / metal players do it.

Mathijs

We're talking past each other a bit. I'm saying, you have to turn up the amp in order for it to break up in the first place winking smiley

Date: June 14, 2013 16:13

Mel Belli
Mathijs

Mathijs

We're talking past each other a bit. I'm saying, you have to turn up the amp in order for it to break up in the first place winking smiley

Absolutely, for power amp overdrive that is winking smiley

Mathijs

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 14, 2013 16:13

Phil Good
His Majesty
nankerphlege
bv
Phil Good

Mick Taylor of course...

Tis possible to use two amps at once, but it might not be Taylor who is using it.

Maybe Jaggers for Doom and Gloom?

smiling smiley

In this pic here (thanks to Nellcote from Rocksoff) you can see three
amps on Taylor's side. Still not sure that it's him who uses the magnatone.

It's either Ronnie's side or Keith's side if you want to discern the left or right side of the stage! get with the program, dude! LOL

kiddin' aside the first amp on the left is Mick Jagger's Vibro King,
2nd is the Ampeg vt40 and the Magnatone used by Mick Taylor. the Ampeg is from the Stones vault. perhaps the Magnatone belongs to the stones camp too? I don't know.
Jagger's second (probably backup) Vibro King amp is used by Gary Clark and got moved to Keith's side.

Ampeg VT-40 [www.iorr.org]
Magnatone Amp LA [www.iorr.org]
MickTs pedalboard [www.iorr.org]
Mick Jagger's Guitar rig [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 14, 2013 17:39

Keith used a Marshall head for his solos for the 89/90 tours. I suppose that's the last time he did that.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 14, 2013 18:57

open-g, thanks for clearing it up.
Yep, as you said in the other thread, Magnatone has been revived.
My guess is that it belongs to the Stones' camp. Billy Gibbons is endorsing
these amps now and Billy is in close contact to Ronnie.

Date: June 14, 2013 19:06

GasLightStreet
Keith used a Marshall head for his solos for the 89/90 tours. I suppose that's the last time he did that.

Oh, yeah? Didn't know that. He should bring it back.

Date: June 17, 2013 01:36

Seemingly, MT is using both the VT40 and the Magnatone. Just in case someone is interested.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home