Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Doesn't Taylor have a guitar tech?
Date: June 13, 2013 13:59

Watching the Sway clip, and how Taylor desperately calls for a tech to turn up his amp prior to the solo, was a bit surprising.

We know he has his pedal board, where he can adjust from rhythm sound (amp) to solo sound (his Blues Driver-pedal).

Why isn't his amp- and pedal sound pre-adjusted, so he can just hit the pedal when he's ready to solo?

Re: Doesn't Taylor have a guitar tech?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:01

DandelionPowderman
Watching the Sway clip, and how Taylor desperately calls for a tech to turn up his amp prior to the solo, was a bit surprising.

We know he has his pedal board, where he can adjust from rhythm sound (amp) to solo sound (his Blues Driver-pedal).

Why isn't his amp- and pedal sound pre-adjusted, so he can just hit the pedal when he's ready to solo?

He does this every damn show. I have to say it's rather annoying. How can you always need for things to sound louder? I think it's part of the nervousness on his part.

Date: June 13, 2013 14:03

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

He does this every damn show. I have to say it's rather annoying. How can you always need for things to sound louder? I think it's part of the nervousness on his part.

Judging by his solo sound, it didn't sound like he was using the Blues Driver at all?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:08

He always wants to be louder than the rest of the band.

Date: June 13, 2013 14:14

His Majesty
He always wants to be louder than the rest of the band.

He should have a remote button on his guitar - for his amp smiling smiley

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:29

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Why do people that are the first to reply always quote the message... It's pretty obvious to what you are replying to...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: June 13, 2013 14:30

grinning smiley Old habits die hard

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:35

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

It's actually something he does for the last 20 years or so, always fiddeling with his amp. With many of his solo shows he doesn't do a soundcheck, and starts adjusting his amp when the show starts. I wonder if he gets a soundcheck with the Stones...

Mathijs

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:37

He does as seen in some pictures that surfaced, one taken by Sheryl Crow if memory serves.

Yeah, thin sound last night...nowhere near as "juicy" as in LA/2 on both Sway and CYHMK, best he's sounded so far IMO.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 13, 2013 14:39

Wuudy
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Why do people that are the first to reply always quote the message... It's pretty obvious to what you are replying to...

Well...EXCUSE ME....sad smiley

Date: June 13, 2013 14:57

Wuudy

People sometimes change even the first post.

It's good to capture the post before any editing comes in. grinning smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 13, 2013 15:14

Mathijs
I wonder if he gets a soundcheck with the Stones...

Mathijs

Well he should since his recent spots with the band have been less than stellar (imo).

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 13, 2013 15:33

It's actually something he does for the last 20 years or so, always fiddeling with his amp. With many of his solo shows he doesn't do a soundcheck, and starts adjusting his amp when the show starts. I wonder if he gets a soundcheck with the Stones...

Mathijs

I have noticed that too after going to Mick Taylor's shows and watching videos on the internet. Although it's true that the sound of an empty room vs the sound at showtime varies (What a musician hear on stage isn't the same), it's very wise to do a soundcheck.
I wonder if Taylor practices/warms up backstage before joining the band.
It looks like Keith's tech is taking care of Taylor's equipment.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: June 13, 2013 15:48

rollmops

Mathijs

I have noticed that too after going to Mick Taylor's shows and watching videos on the internet. Although it's true that the sound of an empty room vs the sound at showtime varies (What a musician hear on stage isn't the same), it's very wise to do a soundcheck.
I wonder if Taylor practices/warms up backstage before joining the band.
It looks like Keith's tech is taking care of Taylor's equipment.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Yes, it does, but Pierre looked surprised and came running to the amp to turn it up on Taylor's orders.

Wouldn't it be easier pointing at your guitar, lifting your hand - to get more volume in your monitors?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:39

This is from Sway in Boston last night. Men at work. Pierre and Mick Taylor.

Bjornulf

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:52

It can't be easy for Pierre to handle the request:

"Can I have Everything Louder than Everyone Else" lol.

Posted by: 48yearsaRSfan ()
Date: June 13, 2013 16:55

Wuudy
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

BECAUSE THEY ARE TRYING TO BE A LITTLE LOUDER LIKE MICK TAYLOR; WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE CAPS!!!

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 13, 2013 17:18

Who in the band is using that new Magnatone amp in Bjornulfs pic above (Men at Work)?
Billy F Gibbons is using that amp for some months now and it's sounding great. I'm considering to order one from Cliff Cultreri.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: June 13, 2013 18:11

It wasn't the volume he was having problem with, it was getting the stomp box on top of his amp to kick in. Pierre hit it once to try and get it to go just before the solo started. That's why the sound was thinner than usual...

Posted by: howled ()
Date: June 13, 2013 18:25

It's because Keef is always turning down Taylor's amp when he's not looking spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 13, 2013 18:54

Wuudy

Aw jeez, isn't one thread by you on this specific topic enough???

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: June 13, 2013 19:23

A few impressions in no particular order:

1) You're supposed to be louder than the rest of the band during a solo.

2) Probably because Mick wants the stage free of anything he might trip on, all guitar effects are run by the techs. You often see Ronnie turn over his right shoulder when he needs more volume for a solo. The only time you'll ever see him engage something with his foot is when he uses a wah pedal.

3) Like 99.9% of guitarists, Mick Taylor uses a stomp box to solo. Keith doesn't use anything; and in my opinion, his bone-dry tone sounds like utter crap when he attempts a lead.

4) Stones guest guitarists (from Angus Young to Keith Urban) are considerlby handicapped by not having their own gear. I don't care *how* good you are; playing straight through an amp is going to cramp your style when it comes time to solo. The only time I ever recall someone being totally in his element and in command was Clapton in Atlantic City, '89.

5) Relying on Pierre to kick on the overdrive is inefficient and suboptimal, at best. If he can't hear himself, or if the "clean" setting is robbing him of the sustain every soloist needs to do their tricks, he's not going to be able to do the things he wants to do. Same as a golfer with a shitty set of clubs or a stockcar driver with Prius. Gear matters.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:04

Phil Good
Who in the band is using that new Magnatone amp in Bjornulfs pic above (Men at Work)?
Billy F Gibbons is using that amp for some months now and it's sounding great. I'm considering to order one from Cliff Cultreri.

Mick Taylor of course...

Bjornulf

Date: June 13, 2013 20:09

Mel Belli
A few impressions in no particular order:

1) You're supposed to be louder than the rest of the band during a solo.

2) Probably because Mick wants the stage free of anything he might trip on, all guitar effects are run by the techs. You often see Ronnie turn over his right shoulder when he needs more volume for a solo. The only time you'll ever see him engage something with his foot is when he uses a wah pedal.

3) Like 99.9% of guitarists, Mick Taylor uses a stomp box to solo. Keith doesn't use anything; and in my opinion, his bone-dry tone sounds like utter crap when he attempts a lead.

4) Stones guest guitarists (from Angus Young to Keith Urban) are considerlby handicapped by not having their own gear. I don't care *how* good you are; playing straight through an amp is going to cramp your style when it comes time to solo. The only time I ever recall someone being totally in his element and in command was Clapton in Atlantic City, '89.

5) Relying on Pierre to kick on the overdrive is inefficient and suboptimal, at best. If he can't hear himself, or if the "clean" setting is robbing him of the sustain every soloist needs to do their tricks, he's not going to be able to do the things he wants to do. Same as a golfer with a shitty set of clubs or a stockcar driver with Prius. Gear matters.

Good points!

But Keith has always used his volume knob for solos. His rhythm sound is round 7, 5 in volume, and then he cranks it before his solo.

He had a sgomp box on the VL tour, though. I remember that on Satisfaction in particular

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 13, 2013 21:14

bv
Phil Good

Mick Taylor of course...
It wasn't Gary Clark's ? I thought MT was using a vt40

Date: June 13, 2013 21:17

nankerphlege
bv
Phil Good

Mick Taylor of course...
It wasn't Gary Clark's ? I thought MT was using a vt40

Tis possible to use two amps at once, but it might not be Taylor who is using it.

Maybe Jaggers for Doom and Gloom?

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 21:19 by His Majesty.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: June 13, 2013 21:36

bv
This is from Sway in Boston last night. Men at work. Pierre and Mick Taylor.

Is that Prince on guitar in the background?

Date: June 13, 2013 21:46

DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli

Good points!

But Keith has always used his volume knob for solos. His rhythm sound is round 7, 5 in volume, and then he cranks it before his solo.

I know. But lately his leads sound like crap, and it's not just the decline in dexterity. I mean they sound like crap. It could be that he doesn't "move enough air" anymore. I don't know when he stopped using the Boogie cabs—at some point they became just for show, and on this tour it's just the two Twins—but listen to Midnight Rambler from '89 here, right about the 6:00 mark:

There's tremendous power and resonance in that tone that's totally lacking these days, quite apart from the playing. If you've ever played live—in a bar, a cafeteria, or a bona fide theater— you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. When the amp is set right, the sound system is professional, and the acoustics of the room are favorable, your guitar can feel so hot and responsive that you hardly need to exert yourself to get your ideas across. When I see Keith, in '89, just casually raking the guitar, and it sounds strong enough to send a shudder through your cavity fillings, I know everything's perfect up there.

Now all three of the guys—Keith, Ronnie, Taylor—have to labor when it comes time to solo. I'm reasonably certain it has something to do with how stripped down their rigs are now.

That's my $0.02. Maybe someone's got a better theory.

Date: June 13, 2013 22:04

Mel Belli
DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli

Good points!

I know. But lately his leads sound like crap, and it's not just the decline in dexterity. I mean they sound like crap. It could be that he doesn't "move enough air" anymore. I don't know when he stopped using the Boogie cabs—at some point they became just for show, and on this tour it's just the two Twins—but listen to Midnight Rambler from '89 here, right about the 6:00 mark:

There's tremendous power and resonance in that tone that's totally lacking these days, quite apart from the playing. If you've ever played live—in a bar, a cafeteria, or a bona fide theater— you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. When the amp is set right, the sound system is professional, and the acoustics of the room are favorable, your guitar can feel so hot and responsive that you hardly need to exert yourself to get your ideas across. When I see Keith, in '89, just casually raking the guitar, and it sounds strong enough to send a shudder through your cavity fillings, I know everything's perfect up there.

Now all three of the guys—Keith, Ronnie, Taylor—have to labor when it comes time to solo. I'm reasonably certain it has something to do with how stripped down their rigs are now.

That's my $0.02. Maybe someone's got a better theory.

I know. However, there is something overall trebly with Keith's guitars on this tour. More spikey and less meatey, if you know what I mean...

The power and attack is not completely gone, though. Keith's solo after Jeff Beck's on the first gig of the tour showed some of the old magic, imo.

Date: June 13, 2013 22:09

DandelionPowderman

I know. However, there is something overall trebly with Keith's guitars on this tour. More spikey and less meatey, if you know what I mean...

The power and attack is not completely gone, though. Keith's solo after Jeff Beck's on the first gig of the tour showed some of the old magic, imo.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't think it's the guitar(s). It's the rig.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home