Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 21, 2014 16:57

treaclefingers
kleermaker
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
IMO, solos WAS Ronnie's thing in 75/76. He changed style in 77/78 when he and Keith started with the weaving-thing.

Funnily, Keith was the one who broke out of that, but Ronnie remained a teamplayer guitar-wise.

When Ronnie plays blues with Mick Taylor, his extended solos are back, and he plays beautifully, imo.

He never was more than a blues/funk player, though, while Mick Taylor had much more styles in him, including the classic rock guitar god approach.

Well, I think the stuff Woody did in 75/76 was a part of his job description; he was basically just filling Taylor's shoes - he continued there from where Taylor had left them - and as a great all-around guitar player he was capable to do that easily. I think that is Ronnie's forte: he can do any task needed, and he is the best man they ever got in that sense. I guess that talent of his made the 'ancient art of weaving' possible, since he was able also take care of Keith's duties. But I still wouldn't call playing extended solos as "his thing" in the same sense as Taylor having extraordinary talent in that. If some think that Wood is as great or even better than Taylor in that department, one needs to be a helluva Woodist with a particular idiosyncratic taste, and nothing wrong with that.

The way I see those Taylor years, and the classical rhythm/solo guitar split coming more and more visible as the years and tours go by, is that of natural evolution. Both guitarists stuck into what they did best. It was natural that having a player like Taylor in the band to use his best qualities. And at the same time Richards mastered the rhythm/riff art. If Woody later would offer Keith a template to 'free' more of his playing, Taylor in his years 'forced' Keith to really master his trademark 'riffmaster' stuff. In a way I also see the 'ancient art of weaving' being a result of a natural evolution, being pretty much based on Woody's personal qualities as a player.

- Doxa

As I said before I heard Ronnie play in 1976, but it wasn't a shadow of Taylor's playing in 1973. It was mediocre at best and I know a well known poster here who attended the same show and left after a short time and I can understand that. The Stones had lost their magic.

I'm really amazed by the strange theory that an average player made the Stones better. Of course it's a false theory.

Let's face it: Ronnie's solos with the Stones don't tell any story, don't have a soul or any feel in them. They're bad Taylor copies or, if they are 'new', are pointless. Yes Ronnie was there to let Richards take over, but that wasn't an improvement, because Keith is a riffmaster and a great rhythm guitarist but just a mediocre soloist. One sometimes feels embarrassed when hearing him play a solo. People often underestimate the special talent one must have to craft a creative solo. Taylor was more than able to do so, Ronnie wasn't and isn't. A bad and wrong choice after all. The theory that he kept the Stones together is just ridiculous. Without the Stones Jagger and Richards are nobodies as solo musicians and not interesting for that matter to the masses at all and they know it. Even now during those 2013/2014 tours it's obvious that both Jagger and Richards realize what the band lost when Taylor left: quality music on stage.

...and they can't bring themselves to have him onstage for a few more songs?

Obviously.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: April 21, 2014 17:15

MadMax
Worried About You Buenos Aires 2006. Brilliant!

Streets Of Love 2nd, "outro decoration", Paris 2006. Plays EXACTLY the notes I want to hear. Did it ONLY this show. Compare with later shows or earlier he does not use the 9th to enhance the solo, the Austin show later in the autumn is a good example.

Blinded By Rainbows.

Beast Of Burden Miami '94. Best version ever.

Hand Of Fate, Cirkus Stockholm 2003. Like heaven. Just Beautiful.

Taylor is great but to slag Ronnie?? Enjoy them both. I thank God Ronnie is in the band. Hadn't it been for him the boys would NEVER have been together as long as they have been. God bless Ronnie.
Yes, agreed. :-)

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 21, 2014 17:23

YCAGWYW Leeds, 82 - great solo with a different touch.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: April 21, 2014 18:43

Taylor was a really motivation for Keith's playing. Ronnie has never been...

In response to flamboyant Taylor's playing (solo and rhythm) Keith replied with his riffs.

This fantastic dynamic has been missing for years.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 21, 2014 20:39

definition of weaving... Ron finishes the end of Keith's solo while Keith sets himself up to return to chords. To accomplish the weave Wood usually jumps Keith's octave and bends the G string sometimes adding a pinky note. aka; brown nosing the bosses.

Date: April 21, 2014 21:58

They don't weave much anymore. Try 1978. By 1989, Keith was the lead guitar player.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 21, 2014 22:21

TooTough

I agree. this is an interesting version of the song.

Date: April 21, 2014 22:29

ryanpow
TooTough

I agree. this is an interesting version of the song.

The only version with a slide solo? Can't remember that from other 1982-shows...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 21, 2014 22:55

ahhh... that's what it is. Not familiar with the rest of the 82 tour. The slide explains why its different from the 81 versions I'm familiar with.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 22, 2014 07:05

DandelionPowderman
They don't weave much anymore. Try 1978. By 1989, Keith was the lead guitar player.

Yep.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 22, 2014 12:33

Powerage
Taylor was a really motivation for Keith's playing. Ronnie has never been...

In response to flamboyant Taylor's playing (solo and rhythm) Keith replied with his riffs.

This fantastic dynamic has been missing for years.

Which is all total bullshit. Throughout the 1972 and 1973 tours Keith's role got diminished greatly. He ended up playing rhythm solely, hardly playing riffs and leadlines. Ronnie really kicked him up the ass on the 1975 tour, pushing Keith back to his famous lead and riff guitar playing, with Wood being equal to Richards. If there ever was weaving it was from from 1975 to 1978, and during these years Keith was at his ever best.

Mathijs

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 22, 2014 12:48

<"Which is all total bullshit. Throughout the 1972 and 1973 tours Keith's role got diminished greatly. He ended up playing rhythm solely, hardly playing riffs and leadlines. Ronnie really kicked him up the ass on the 1975 tour, pushing Keith back to his famous lead and riff guitar playing, with Wood being equal to Richards. If there ever was weaving it was from from 1975 to 1978, and during these years Keith was at his ever best."

Mathijs>

Perfectly stated!! thumbs up smileys with beer

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 22, 2014 13:11

kleermaker

I'm really amazed by the strange theory that an average player made the Stones better. Of course it's a false theory.

I don't claim that that actually happened when Woody joined in, but theoretically that is possible. Having a great team player instead of a shining star might affect on the others positively; they work harder and probably take more responsibilities into their shoulders. That sometimes happens, for example, in football when a team loses its biggest star, and against all the expectations, the team might play even better before, That kind of group dynamics are interesting phenomenon.

Be it better or worse, Wood changed the dynamics of the Stones, and one visible cosnsequence was that of Richards turning more profilic and many-sided as a player than in later Taylor years. (I have also seen that claimed to be the reason why Wood was selected - to get more of Keith). Funnily that development saw its peak during 1989/90 tour when Richards took almost a "guitar hero" role in the band, Woody playing clearly a second fiddle.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 13:12 by Doxa.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 22, 2014 13:15

Mathijs
If there ever was weaving it was from from 1975 to 1978, and during these years Keith was at his ever best.

..and I would include 1981/82...

In 1975 Ronnie was just a replacement for the TOA. He had to learn tons of songs in a short time. I ever had the feeling that Ronnie kept Mick Taylor`s style of playing long /harmonic solos. You can`t change everything when there is someone new in the band and you wanna go on tour. Perhaps that`s the reason why some people here liked Ronnie`s playing in 75/76 so much.

I think that they found their own style as a band with Ron Wood when they had time in the studio for Some Girls. That created a new fresh sound and style in a way they never could have with Mick Taylor.

I deeply love Mick Taylor for his playing till today. Never missed a solo gig in my town. But I truly love Ronnie`s skills, very risky , sometimes crap, sometimes fantastic, never boring and bringing in Lapsteel or pedal steel guitar.

And seeing them onstage together is just wonderful.

Tom

Date: April 22, 2014 13:19

electricmud
Mathijs
If there ever was weaving it was from from 1975 to 1978, and during these years Keith was at his ever best.

In 1975 Ronnie was just a replacement for the TOA. He had to learn tons of songs in a short time. I ever had the feeling that Ronnie kept Mick Taylor`s style of playing long /harmonic solos. You can`t change everything when there is someone new in the band and you wanna go on tour. Perhaps that`s the reason why some people here liked Ronnie`s playing in 75/76 so much.

I think that they found their own style as a band with Ron Wood when they had time in the studio for Some Girls. That created a new fresh sound and style in a way they never could have with Mick Taylor.

I deeply love Mick Taylor for his playing till today. Never missed a solo gig in my town. But I truly love Ronnie`s skills, very risky , sometimes crap, sometimes fantastic, never boring and bringing in Lapsteel or pedal steel guitar.

Tom

thumbs up

Date: April 22, 2014 13:58

electricmud
Mathijs

Tom

A pretty similar picture as I have. There surely were traits of what will come later already in 1975/76, a big ship like that doesn't turn so easily, but to me the 'real' weaving years were 1978-82, when they really mastered the art (I don't know why Mathijs exludes 1981/82, but I guess he has his own well-argued reasons for that).

What you say of SOME GIRLS sessions being essential for that new sound to born - which I agree with - bring the question how much Jagger had a role in creating the new animal. He played a lot of guitar in those sessions, resulting with a thing sometimes called a 'three-guitar attack'. Also the punk-inspired down-to-earth-rockers he came up with offered a new template for Keith and Ronnie to do their thing, and many times him - Jagger - providing the basic rhythm guitar foundations. A witty Taylorite could say that was Jagger's tactical move to get some decent lead guitar from the guitar department - "I take care of the rhythm - try you guys together come up with something more interesting, there is two of you, one of you need to come up with something..." grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 22, 2014 14:21

Doxa
electricmud
Mathijs

Tom

A pretty similar picture as I have. There surely were traits of what will come later already in 1975/76, a big ship like that doesn't turn so easily, but to me the 'real' weaving years were 1978-82, when they really mastered the art (I don't know why Mathijs exludes 1981/82, but I guess he has his own well-argued reasons for that).

What you say of SOME GIRLS sessions being essential for that new sound to born - which I agree with - bring the question how much Jagger had a role in creating the new animal. He played a lot of guitar in those sessions, resulting with a thing sometimes called a 'three-guitar attack'. Also the punk-inspired down-to-earth-rockers he came up with offered a new template for Keith and Ronnie to do their thing, and many times him - Jagger - providing the basic rhythm guitar foundations. A witty Taylorite could say that was Jagger's tactical move to get some decent lead guitar from the guitar department - "I take care of the rhythm - try you guys together come up with something more interesting, there is two of you, one of you need to come up with something..." grinning smiley

- Doxa

One more element, about the weaving, is that standard tuning became the tuning of choice for Keith in this period - when writing and developing songs.

From the late 70s till the early 80s, there were very few open G-songs.

Before They Make Me Run
Too Tough
It Must Be Hell
Wanna Hold You

I think that's all, although a few TY-tracks were played in open G in the mid 70s.

ER must be the only album in this era completely without Keith's open G-guitar? Only one track on SG (Mick played open G on the title track, though).

Date: April 22, 2014 14:24

edited - sorry, a wrong thread! grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 14:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 22, 2014 14:33

There are some great solos by Ronnie in the later years such as the solos on Gimme Shelter in 89/90 or on Beast of Burden 94/95 (on some versions at least). But the boys were on top in respect of their guitar playing in 75/76. Never they sounded as good as in those years. Keith and Ronnie were in perfect balance. And out of the perfect weaving arose some great solos like in SFTD - on both sides. One absolutely great example of a another perfect Ronnie solo is the one in Heartbreaker on LA Friday ...

Date: April 22, 2014 14:40

RobertJohnson
There are some great solos by Ronnie in the later years such as the solos on Gimme Shelter in 89/90 or on Beast of Burden 94/95 (on some versions at least). But the boys were on top in respect of their guitar playing in 75/76. Never they sounded as good as in those years. Keith and Ronnie were in perfect balance. And out of the perfect weaving arose some great solos like in SFTD - on both sides. One absolutely great example of a another perfect Ronnie solo is the one in Heartbreaker on LA Friday ...

GS from the same show deserves a mention here, too.

Date: April 22, 2014 14:56

DandelionPowderman

One more element, about the weaving, is that standard tuning became the tuning of choice for Keith in this period - when writing and developing songs.

Before They Make Me Run
Too Tough
It Must Be Hell
Wanna Hold You

I think that's all, although a few TY-tracks were played in open G in the mid 70s.

ER must be the only album in this era completely without Keith's open G-guitar? Only one track on SG (Mick played open G on the title track, though).

A good and interesting point (even though I can't now verify your details, but I take them to be in a right track/showing a tendency). One way to see it is to think of the big four era as Keith's over-all open tuning experiment and especially EXILE like his master thesis or PhD work in OpenG. Despite creating during this era his 'signature sound', there are still certain limits how much one can do within that template to not start repeating oneself. The danger of that can be heard in their mid-seventies albums, when the creative juices started to dry out a bit (or at least the results weren't any longer so fresh sounding). Probably part of leaving the box he had 'stuck' in song-writing and playing with Taylor was also that of giving a bit rest to OpenG, and widen up horizons, now with more traditional standard tuning. I recall Keith saying in LIFE that Taylor affected to him as a song-maker, and he started to write songs Taylor in mind. Probably that meant sticking more to riffs and his OpenG routines, which gave a distinguished room for Taylor to add his thing - reflecting the traditional rhythm/lead guitar split. I take a song like "All Down The Line" being a paradigm example of that.

The point is - and a reason why I see your remark as an important one - is that Keith's open tuning develeopment is documented so well, and its significance is emphasized enough well, including the man himself, but the story of Keith as a creative, innovative artist is not that simple, and it did not end in EXILE.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 15:08 by Doxa.

Date: April 22, 2014 15:33

Doxa
electricmud
Mathijs

Tom

- Doxa

I have the feeling Jagger always has missed Taylor's playing a lot on stage.

Date: April 22, 2014 15:43

kleermaker
Doxa
electricmud
Mathijs

Tom

- Doxa

He seems to be having fun in the new Hamburg 1965-show grinning smiley Go get it!

Date: April 22, 2014 16:32

kleermaker

He has said something to the effect that Taylor "helped him" as a singer, which I guess is something to do with Taylor's melodic leads with which Jagger could duet with or take cues from. Even today, when Taylor occasionally joins them, one can see how much Taylor is playing for singer, or with singer as his clue, including times when the singer is playing harp. It is a bit different inter-action between Taylor and Jagger as it with the two other guitar players having with Jagger. Taylor is 'positioned' differently as the other two in regards to Jagger.

But frankly I don't think he really misses Taylor, if he ever did, in that sense. The modern Stones is arranged in a way, which doesn't ask that kind of support from the guitar department. There are back up singers help him there, there is a 'musical director' Leavell with his piano providing him enough clues, etc. The result is that Jagger sings more in a key, and according to melodies than the wild frontman from the seventies ever did (of course, having his vocals coached has a role as well). My impression is that if Jagger missed Taylor it was during those golden weaving days. But I wouldn't too sure about that either. The rhythm, groove-oriented raw Keith/Ronnie axis was I suppose a good vehicle for punk-kicked and disco-inspired Jagger in 1978. It was a bit later - 1981/82 - when he seemingly started to have seconds-thoughts about how well the band worked by consitution, and according to some reports, he was was fed up actually. He didn't want to do the European leg initially (not enough money to motivate) and like I mentioned above, he wanted re-record the performances of STILL LIFE in studio. Transforming the band into a modern stadium act seemed to have certain problems taking their - especially their guitarists' - habits and routines...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 16:39 by Doxa.

Date: April 22, 2014 16:43

< It was a bit later - 1981/82 - when he seemingly started to have seconds-thoughts about how well the band worked by consitution>

My theory is that the contemporary music scene, as well as the new sounds of the 80s, had a lot to do with this.

Mick probably thought that the Stones had to follow both the Duran Duran-trends, as well as what was going on at the Sunset Strip, to avoid becoming obsolete...

Date: April 22, 2014 16:51

Doxa
kleermaker

He has said something to the effect that Taylor "helped him" as a singer, which I guess is something to do with Taylor's melodic leads with which Jagger could duet with or take cues from. Even today, when Taylor occasionally joins them, one can see how much Taylor is playing for singer, or with singer as his clue, including times when the singer is playing harp. It is a bit different inter-action between Taylor and Jagger as it with the two other guitar players having with Jagger. Taylor is 'positioned' differently as the other two in regards to Jagger.

But frankly I don't think he really misses Taylor, if he ever did, in that sense. The modern Stones is arranged in a way, which doesn't ask that kind of support from the guitar department. There are back up singers help him there, there is a 'musical director' Leavell with his piano providing him enough clues, etc. The result is that Jagger sings more in a key, and according to melodies than the wild frontman from the seventies ever did (of course, having his vocals coached has a role as well). My impression is that if Jagger missed Taylor it was during those golden weaving days. But I wouldn't too sure about that either. The rhythm, groove-oriented raw Keith/Ronnie axis was I suppose a good vehicle for punk-kicked and disco-inspired Jagger in 1978. It was a bit later - 1981/82 - when he seemingly started to have seconds-thoughts about how well the band worked by consitution, and according to some reports, he was was fed up actually. He didn't want to do the European leg initially (not enough money to motivate) and like I mentioned above, he wanted re-record the performances of STILL LIFE in studio. Transforming the band into a modern stadium act seemed to have certain problems taking their - especially their guitarists' - habits and routines...

- Doxa

Well I thought we were talking about the band when it still was a limited band instead of some sort of group with back up singers, guitar helps, a musical director and so on. In fact the live band since 1983, in fact 1989, isn't a living and breathing beast but some sort of dead act. Welcome to the Madame Tussaud show!

Date: April 22, 2014 16:57

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Before They Make Me Run
Too Tough
It Must Be Hell
Wanna Hold You

I recall Keith saying in LIFE that Taylor affected to him as a song-maker, and he started to write songs Taylor in mind. Probably that meant sticking more to riffs and his OpenG routines, which gave a distinguished room for Taylor to add his thing - reflecting the traditional rhythm/lead guitar split. I take a song like "All Down The Line" being a paradigm example of that.

- Doxa

Keith wrote songs with Taylor in mind and you name All Down The Line. Sorry, but I don't buy that Keith nonsense. He didn't write ADTL with Taylor in mind, if you know the history of that song. What other songs did he write 'for Taylor'? None. Or do you mean songs like Moonlight Mile, the second part of Knocking, Winter, 100 Years Ago, Sway and TWFNO, really signature Richards songs? grinning smiley

Date: April 22, 2014 17:03

Doxa
kleermaker

I don't claim that that actually happened when Woody joined in, but theoretically that is possible. Having a great team player instead of a shining star might affect on the others positively; they work harder and probably take more responsibilities into their shoulders. That sometimes happens, for example, in football when a team loses its biggest star, and against all the expectations, the team might play even better before, That kind of group dynamics are interesting phenomenon.

- Doxa

Who says Taylor was a shining star and not a team player (as well)? As if the Glimmers would allow him to have that role at all. Anyway, Real Madrid, Benfica, Brazil, Ajax, Argentina and France would have been so much better without Puskas, Eusebio, Pele, Cruyff, Maradona and Zidane. So let's advice Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern to get rid of Ronaldo, Messi and Robben as soon as possible. Their teams will work so much harder then and become so much better!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 22, 2014 17:36

Ron Wood is one of my fav soloist in rock music.

Timing, rhythm, tone - sublime! In particular with a strat.

His "two finger" technique always creates unique voicings.

He is able to add intensity and depth to the music (more than often with European/Slavic touches, rather than the overused "blue note" based cliches) only to kick the band in the but a sec later.

What an incredible artist!

C

Date: April 22, 2014 17:36

kleermaker

Who says Taylor was a shining star and not a team player (as well)?

I say so. Not enough? grinning smiley With that I only mean that wheras Taylor's forte was that of being a flashy lead guitarist (and having certain room-needing features belonging to that concept, which especially flowered in 1973), Wood's forte is to be a great team player. To use football analogies more, Taylor was a striker who is there to score, and having not much defense duties, and makes easily headlines, whereas Woody is more a middle-field player, more defense-oriented, less profilic, even though still able to score when needed. Some damn beautiful goals he have made, as this thread shows...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 17:37 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home