Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Hey @#$%& Jude: the "secret" extra lyrics....
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:15

From the Wikipedia page on the Beatles song Hey Jude:

At 2:58 of the song, someone can allegedly be heard to say, "@#$%& hell!" There is some dispute as to who said this, and whether it was really exclaimed at all. Sound engineers Ken Scott and Geoff Emerick claim the exclamation came from McCartney and that it was Lennon's idea to leave the mistake in the final mix. "'Paul hit a clunker on the piano and said a naughty word,' Lennon gleefully crowed, 'but I insisted we leave it in, buried just low enough so that it can barely be heard. Most people won't ever spot it...but we'll know it's there.'" However, in the Kevin Ryan and Brian Kehew book Recording the Beatles, discussing the recording processes behind the Beatles' sessions, engineer Malcolm Toft recalls, "Barry Sheffield engineered 'Hey Jude', but I mixed it... John Lennon says a very rude word about halfway through the song. At 2:59 you will hear a 'Whoa!' from him in the background. About two seconds later you will hear, '@#$%& hell!' This was because when he was doing a vocal backing, Barry sent him the foldback level [headphone volume] too loud and he threw the cans on the ground and uttered the expletive. But, because it had been bounced down [mixed] with the main vocal, it could not be removed. I just managed to bring the fader down for a split second on the mix to try to lessen the effect." Others argue that the voice is Ringo Starr's.

Hey Jude Wikipedia page: [en.wikipedia.org]

Re: OT: Hey @#$%& Jude: the "secret" extra lyrics....
Date: May 24, 2013 09:16

Douche Yeah--Hey Jude reversed, that is....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:22

This single was the first record to be released on mighty 'Apple'....

Remember when you were small
How people seemed so tall
Always had their way
Remember your ma and pa
Just wishing for movie stardom
Always, always playing a part
If you ever feel so sad
And the whole world is driving you mad
Remember, remember today

Lennon

2 1 2 0

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 24, 2013 10:00

That has always driven me nuts. When i was a kid it sounded like my Dad calling my name. I'd blast the song hear it and turn the volume down thinking he was calling me so I knew right away what this "find" was. Of course The Fabs left many of these little gems on their recordings. The engineers could have hand erased it, if you listen to their master tapes you will hear the engineers hand erased all the empty spots on vocal tracks. Their compressors were so turned up the hiss would have been audible in the spaces. That's also how The Beatles' records had such hard attack at the beginning of each vocal line. Today we use gates but the effect is not as radical.. Anyhow they left it there on purpose I believe, George Martin was not a tough enough boss.smiling smileyThanks Stonehearted!

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: May 24, 2013 10:09

funny, is there a list of more of these things?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 24, 2013 10:42

Thank God we have the Stones, otherwise the hairdressers from Liverpool would be acknowledged as the greatest Brit band of the 60's... Yuck! confused smiley

Date: May 24, 2013 22:04

DoomandGloom
That has always driven me nuts. When i was a kid it sounded like my Dad calling my name. I'd blast the song hear it and turn the volume down thinking he was calling me so I knew right away what this "find" was. Of course The Fabs left many of these little gems on their recordings. The engineers could have hand erased it, if you listen to their master tapes you will hear the engineers hand erased all the empty spots on vocal tracks. Their compressors were so turned up the hiss would have been audible in the spaces. That's also how The Beatles' records had such hard attack at the beginning of each vocal line. Today we use gates but the effect is not as radical.. Anyhow they left it there on purpose I believe, George Martin was not a tough enough boss.smiling smileyThanks Stonehearted!

At this point George Martin was less involved with the band's production. During the "white" album sessions, Martin became fed up with the long late-night hours and the band's endless "unproductive" jamming. Chris Thomas signed on as an engineer, but in Martin's increasing absence became the de facto producer, though Martin is still credited as the album's producer. Martin and The Beatles wouldn't reunite properly until the summer '69 Abbey Road album sessions. The Beatles were more or less their own boss for the white album and Get Back sessions. I'm sure George Martin would never have let Lennon's words slip into the final product and, at the very least, would have had a serious discussion about it with "the boys".

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 24, 2013 22:14

Actually I did notice that years ago, but had no idea what was said. Thanks for posting this interesting piece of Rock and Roll History.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 24, 2013 22:26

Try "I Got a Feeling" at about the 3:16-3:19 mark and you'll hear John say something that's not on the lyrics sheet.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Date: May 24, 2013 22:28

bluesinc.

Do you mean of tracks played backwards?

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 24, 2013 22:28

speaking of beatle lyrics - i was advised just recently of the definition of "finger pie" (penny lane). for shame....

Date: May 24, 2013 22:40

"Queen says no the pot smoking FBI members"

Date: May 24, 2013 22:45

camper88
Try "I Got a Feeling" at about the 3:16-3:19 mark and you'll hear John say something that's not on the lyrics sheet.

Are you sure? I can't detect it. He does an "Oh yeah!" at that point, but it does sound like "Oh" and not the other possibility.

I've got a feeling, a feeling deep inside
Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's right
I've got a feeling, a feeling I can't hide
Oh no, no, oh no, oh no
Yeah, I've got a feeling

Oh please believe me I'd hate to miss the train
Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah
And if you leave me I won't be late again
Oh no, oh no, oh no
Yeah, yeah, I've got a feeling, yeah
I got a feeling

All these years I've been wandering around
Wondering how come nobody told me
All that I've been looking for was somebody
Who looked like you

I've got a feeling that keeps me on my toes
Oh yeah, oh yeah
I've got a feeling I think that everybody knows
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah
Yeah, yeah I've got a feeling, yeah, yeah

Everybody had a hard year
Everybody had a good time
Everybody had a wet dream
Everybody saw the sunshine
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah

Everybody had a good year
Everybody let their hair down
Everybody pulled their socks up
Everybody put their foot down
Oh yeah

(I've got a feeling)
(A feeling deep inside)
Everybody had a hard time
(Oh yeah)
Everybody had a wet dream
(Oh yeah)
Everybody saw the sunshine

(I've got a feeling)
(A feeling I can't hide)
Everybody let their hair down
(Oh no)
Everybody pulled their socks up
(Oh no no)
Everybody put their foot down, oh yeah

I've got a feeling
I got a feeling
Oh yeah
I got a feeling, yeah

Oh my soul, so odd

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 24, 2013 22:53

bluesinc.

At the end of Strawberry Fields Forever, Lennon is heard mumbling what sounds like "I buried Paul", which helped fuel the 'Paul is Dead' rumours. He's actually saying "cranberry sauce".

But i'm sure you knew that already

Date: May 24, 2013 22:57

GRNRBITW
speaking of beatle lyrics - i was advised just recently of the definition of "finger pie" (penny lane). for shame....

"a four of fish": [British slang] fourpennyworth of fish and chips.

Referenced from: [en.wikipedia.org]

"finger pie": [British slang] Noun. The act of manually stimulating of the female genitals.

Referenced from: [www.peevish.co.uk]

A Penny Lane street sign.

A view down Penny Lane at the opposite end from the roundabout, approaching the junction with Greenbank Road near to Sefton Park.

Location of the original Bioletti's barbershop [Tony Slavin store front] mentioned in the song as "barber showing photographs/of every head he's had the pleasure to have known".

"...the shelter in the middle of the roundabout" as it appeared in 2008.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 22:59 by stonehearted.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: May 24, 2013 22:57

wait, so they said i p h o n e ??

Date: May 24, 2013 23:01

"Expert textpert" John was a time traveler

Date: May 24, 2013 23:05

The line from Day Tripper "she's a big teaser" was originally written as "she's a prick teaser" according to Paul McCartney:

"I remember with the prick teasers we thought, That'd be fun to put in. That was one of the great things about collaborating, you could nudge-nudge, wink-wink a bit, whereas if you're sitting on your own, you might not put it in."

Paul McCartney
Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

Date: May 24, 2013 23:31

There is also a bit of mischievous innuendo on the song Girl from the Rubber Soul album. It sounds like the background vocals throughout are singing "dit, dit, dit, dit, dit", but by Paul McCartney's own admission these are actually "tit, tit, tit, tit, tit".

"It was always amusing to see if we could get a naughty word on the record: 'fish and finger pie', 'prick teaser', 'tit tit tit tit'. The Beach Boys had a song out where they'd done 'la la la la' and we loved the innocence of that and wanted to copy it, but not use the same phrase. So we were looking around for another phrase, so it was 'dit dit dit dit', which we decided to change in our waggishness to 'tit tit tit tit', which is virtually indistinguishable from 'dit dit dit dit'. And it gave us a laugh.

"It was to get some light relief in the middle of this real big career that we were forging. If we could put in something that was a little bit subversive then we would. George Martin might say, 'Was that "dit dit" or "tit tit" you were singing?' 'Oh, "dit dit", George, but it does sound a bit like that, doesn't it?' Then we'd get in the car and break down laughing."

Paul McCartney
Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 03:39

reg thorpe
bluesinc.

At the end of Strawberry Fields Forever, Lennon is heard mumbling what sounds like "I buried Paul", which helped fuel the 'Paul is Dead' rumours. He's actually saying "cranberry sauce".

He does not say "I buried Paul..." He said, "Cranberry Sauce!"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 25, 2013 03:51

whitem8
reg thorpe
bluesinc.

He does not say "I buried Paul..." He said, "Cranberry Sauce!"

No he didn't...he said "CRANBERRY SAUCE".

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 25, 2013 04:12

The more interesting line from Hey Jude comes from when they did the promo film for it.
They were singing live to the backing track and during the fade out, Paul sings "Take a load off, Fanny, and put the load right on me." from The Weight by The Band which had just been released.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: May 25, 2013 04:16

On "Girl" they are singing tit tit tit tit tit tit tit tit

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: May 25, 2013 04:22

I remember a site that broke down every song & background noises with timings that described incidents like the above Hey Jude...man, I wish I could remember the address!

Date: May 25, 2013 06:42

Ahhh. Found it! Complete Anomalies List of every Beatles recording

[wgo.signal11.org.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home