Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 28
Re: Los Angeles May 20 Stones show live updates
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:29

ablett
Frig me. Spine tingling?

Really, who would have thought three years ago that the Stones would be this great?

Indeed. What a comeback.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:36

24FPS
Being overlooked, unless I'm wrong, is that we NEVER got Sway and Can't You Hear Me Knocking live in the Taylor era. I'm quite happy and satisfied to have these added to the setlist for a while. It sounds like they could use a little more work to get them red hot. But there's some other Taylor-centric songs like Time Waits For No One if they want to mix it up even more down the road.

As long as we're shooting for the moon, I hope Bill is over his hurt, and might be open to an extended slot on stage with the boys in Europe. I just can't get into Darryl. I keep waiting for the Rolling Stones 'there' to be there and it just never is.

Yep I guess TWFNO as the final encore at HP/13th would probably be hard to recover from!

Good point about "making music" vs "performing"...this might give the Glimmer Twins the sense that they can be ambitious again in their studio productions (no one wants/needs another ABcool smiley...it's hard not to see them at least giving it a shot, earlier rather than later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 19:37 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:40

kleermaker
Erik_Snow
24FPS
Being overlooked, unless I'm wrong, is that we NEVER got Sway and Can't You Hear Me Knocking live in the Taylor era.

Due to paper reports, describing CYHMK even before Sticky Fingers even was released, we know for sure that it was performed at the first Newcastle show of 1971. I started a thread about it, 2 years ago.

Still I have my doubts about that.

Don't like to quote myself.....but who gives a toss
Erik_Snow
Everytime somebody mentions these 2 songs being performed live at the early 1971 UK Tour dates, some wise guy will say - "oh but there's plenty of mistakes in Bill Wymans book".....like if that was the only source for the claim

Thanks to Jean Marie's 1971/1973 books, I've finally found it black on white (once again) that both Wild Horses and Can't You Hear Me Knockin was performed.....at least in Newcastle 1971
(it's also mentioned in David Dalton's book which was published in 1971.....allthough not with the same words as these press reports compiled by Jean Marie)

The 2 great books by Jean Marie is available here, btw: [www.iorr.org]

Here a news-article from the performance in Newcastle:

" [....] The rest of the set is built on the emotional platform created by that number ["Midnight Rambler"] A new song follows, "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", fast and jumpy in the same vein as "Jumpin Jack Flash" marred only by some flat picking by Keith on his plexiglass model. His gutty tone makes way for Taylor's more refined approach. Jagger retires for a moment to the sidelines, puts on his cap, and then turns to Jim Price, as if to say "going all right ennit". Another very melodic, new cut called "Wild Horses"- "they couldn't drag me away" sweeps melodically in. [....]"
(from Melody Maker 03/71)

" [....] Somthing old something new. Something borrowed something blue. That was the music menu the Stones served up at the City Hall, Newcastle, last week. [....] Something "new" were things like "White Horses" and "Prodigal Son" [...] "
(from Disc and Music Echo 1971)

Also funny to read the Leeds 1971 article/review, which says this about the Leeds show, concerning the song following "Live With Me" :
" [....] An obscure track from the "Flowers" collection was next, prior to a change of pace and their ode to young groupies "Stray Cat Blues" [....]"

So Dead Flowers is an obscure track from the Flowers collection? Funny!

So, there's no doubt that Wild Horses as well as CYHMK was indeed performed in March 1971.
Just wanted to say that. No need to discuss this at IORR anymore, IOW ! He he
So.....please get them tapes out, you Newcastle folks !

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 21:22 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:41

This concert is definitely the hour of birth of a three guitar band named The Rolling Stones. Let Mick Taylor play the entire set. His contributions are not confined to the brilliant solo sections but he enriches the band with a more full guitar sound, to say a three guitar weaving on a higher level than before. And, please: We want Mick Taylor as regular member of the band playing on the next album recorded later this year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 19:42 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:51

capsula
Awesome to hear MT in CYHMN & Sway, awesome to hear him again as a stone in more songs. If they continue adding him I will try to get money from any place in order to see them. Thanks Jagger for making this possible

It would probably be more accurate to thank Mick for not vetoing the idea...

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:51

kleermaker

Who had ever thought to see Taylor play Sway and Knocking with the Stones, two great songs he even didn't play with them on stage during his tenure in the band! Who would have thought he would ever play with them again anyway (and be audible too!). He did, on Plundered, then on Rambler and now also on Sway and Knocking. Now it's emotion time for me. I even love it to hear the crowd respond. Fantastic. The Stones have always been about emotion to me. And the emotion is there again. And how.

There's something strange going on in my brain, Kleermaker.
When I was 15, I liked any Taylor solo in an instance.
Nowadays I have to listen 5 times. winking smiley

Posted by: kharrison ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:53

Just about gave up on the boys, now they got Taylor and some great songs deep in the setlist...bravo!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:55

svt22
kleermaker

Who had ever thought to see Taylor play Sway and Knocking with the Stones, two great songs he even didn't play with them on stage during his tenure in the band! Who would have thought he would ever play with them again anyway (and be audible too!). He did, on Plundered, then on Rambler and now also on Sway and Knocking. Now it's emotion time for me. I even love it to hear the crowd respond. Fantastic. The Stones have always been about emotion to me. And the emotion is there again. And how.

You're getting old, dear boywinking smiley

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:55

Mick Jagger is more than happy during CYHMK, it's fantastic. Big smile from Charlie too. smiling smiley Amazing version.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:59

kleermaker
svt22
kleermaker

Getting? grinning smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:59

Hats off to the often maligned sidemen.. Given the real chance to jam Darrell and Chuck are doing what they do best. At one point in CYHMK they take charge while Wood, Keith and MJ are standing together with their band seemingly out of control. It's not something they are comfortable with but they are never fools and will be quick to realize they can once again make music together. This does not negate their past decades but if they are to carry on there must be faith in DJ, Chuck, Bobby and MT as they have the tools to be great again.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:02

CousinC
kleermaker
Erik_Snow
24FPS
Being overlooked, unless I'm wrong, is that we NEVER got Sway and Can't You Hear Me Knocking live in the Taylor era.

Due to paper reports, describing CYHMK even before Sticky Fingers even was released, we know for sure that it was performed at the first Newcastle show of 1971. I started a thread about it, 2 years ago.

Still I have my doubts about that.

But didn't B. Keys talk about it in his book too?

Yes, and he was quite specific with the details. Playing the trill that starts the second half of the song, waiting for Taylor to jump in, being out of breath, saying how Jagger would react to suggestions that they give it another try sometime ("Oh, no, we're not doing that one again"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 20:20 by Reagan.

Posted by: Neighbours ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:03

Can't You Hear Me Knocking:

Midnight Rambler:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction:

and

Get Off My Cloud:

Gimme Shelter

Faraway Eyes:

You Got The Silver

Before They Make Me Run

Posted by: buffalo81 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:08

speechlees

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:08

The Rolling Stones have realy told us what they are made of after this Staples show.
They certainly have not let us down this time.No one on this board should be disappointed with the set list and the guest tonight.
A dream come true for all the Taylorites(like me),who were hoping 3 songs will be on the agenda soon.Fingers crossed,they keep up this pattern for MT, and forget about other guests on stage.

Keep it coming Mick and the Rolling Stones team.
Well done for listening to what the fans are saying.

Haven't seen the youtube clips yet,but I'm sure I will not be disappointed.

More of the same for the rest of the tour,with a varied setlist as good as we got at the historic Staples show of May 20th 2013. winking smileysmileys with beerwinking smiley

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:09

JumpinJackOLantern
mnewman505

Heart warming. Now if we can just get Mick and Keith to snuggle up to one another like this. All would be right in the world, wouldn't it? At least all would be right in Stones world.

Or at least cuddle up to re-shoot the Dirty Work cover, ha.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:10

DoomandGloom
Chuck was terrific on both as was Darrell.

Can someone explain to me what 'terrific' thing Darryl does? He never seems to get his shoulder into the music. I would say he spends his time trying to not intrude or impose. For the life of me I can't figure out what he's doing up there with this great cast of musicians. He kind of lays down some bass, but it's not particularly memorable. There's a space among the guitars where Bill would fill it with just the right note, or he would envelop the shambles, or propel the music.

I can't honestly say that Darryl's playing adds anything. Maybe other musicians dig what he's playing, but it doesn't translate to what matters, the fan's ears. And yeah, I know all about how he played with Miles Davis. If he's so well regarded, how come nobody clamors for him to play on their records, or on stage? Where's his great jazz solo album? If he was replaced overnight, would it make any difference at all?

Posted by: Shug ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:16

RobertJohnson
Let Mick Taylor play the entire set. His contributions are not confined to the brilliant solo sections but he enriches the band with a more full guitar sound, to say a three guitar weaving on a higher level than before.

Right on! The three Gisbon Les Paul guitars blending on Rambler was maybe even better than MT's solo, for me.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:19

His Majesty
kleermaker
svt22
kleermaker

Getting? grinning smiley

Yep, getting, HM. One has to say that kind of facts in the most gentle waycool smiley

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:19

Fuman2
Taylor needed another minute and a half to get the Sway going. It was nice but he surely would have brought more golden notes in a three minute solo.

I even thought CYHMK needed another minute, but that was mainly because it took Taylor so long to get into the good part of the groove. That will surely improve over time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 21:02 by Reagan.

Date: May 21, 2013 20:23

24FPS
DoomandGloom

Can someone explain to me what 'terrific' thing Darryl does? He never seems to get his shoulder into the music. I would say he spends his time trying to not intrude or impose. For the life of me I can't figure out what he's doing up there with this great cast of musicians. He kind of lays down some bass, but it's not particularly memorable. There's a space among the guitars where Bill would fill it with just the right note, or he would envelop the shambles, or propel the music.

I can't honestly say that Darryl's playing adds anything. Maybe other musicians dig what he's playing, but it doesn't translate to what matters, the fan's ears. And yeah, I know all about how he played with Miles Davis. If he's so well regarded, how come nobody clamors for him to play on their records, or on stage? Where's his great jazz solo album? If he was replaced overnight, would it make any difference at all?

Darryl appreciates your input and values your continued business... Now he must go back to work...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:30

Neighbours
Can't You Hear Me Knocking:

Midnight Rambler:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction:

and

Get Off My Cloud:

Gimme Shelter

Faraway Eyes:

You Got The Silver

Before They Make Me Run

please watch Mick and Keith during Taylor's solo in 'Knockin' at 7.09 - it'll warm your heart..pure Stones

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:33

I hate the way Sway just ends so prematurely. I know they can't fix the studio recording, but they could extend for live renditions, surely? Taylor's brief soloing at the end is beyond awesome.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:34

A View From The Cheap Seats

Outstanding show last night. I’ve seen the Stones (only) three times now: Knebworth 1976, Hollywood Bowl 2005, and last night. So I don’t have the perspective of many others. But this one has to be the one for me. Got a couple of $85 tickets and was hoping for the best, but got the worst. No line and easy to get in. Good news for us was that there were at least a hundred people who actually had worse seats than us, but that was about it. I complained to guest services about the restricted view hoping for an upgrade, but was told it was totally sold out. It looked jammed from our panoramic viewpoint, and I couldn’t seen more than a handful of empty seat when the lights went down. So we had to just eat it. The sound was crap, but the vibe was great.

What a show! Pretty solid start, but then Jagger announces they’re going to do Sway with Mick Taylor! Wow! There was a bit of a wonky start, but then it got going. Outstanding. And then he comes back for CYHMK with Bobby Keys! Again a bit rough in places, but there you go; I’m not complaining. Midnight Rambler was just amazing; it really rocked! But the show and band (Chuck, Darryl, choir etc) as a whole was really strong, with a setlist I thoroughly enjoyed.

The highlights for me: obviously the extended Taylor involvement. He added a whole different dimension to the band, and he was just plain happy to be there. There was really good vibe between him and the rest of the band when he was on stage, and it was nice to see Jagger giving him a big pat on the back after Rambler (or was it CYHMK?) I also really enjoyed how well Ronnie played and sounded throughout the whole show (even from our high altitude seats). I’ve never really been a big fan of his, but he pushes things along really well. Jagger, well what can you say? Charlie, just amazing, how does he do this--the driving force. No guests: after a show like this, they should just drop the idea, or least be very choosy about who they bring in.

Not so great moments: You Got The Silver, another really fine song, but it just sounded a little bit of a wreck to me, but maybe that was the sound where we were. Sympathy just didn’t cut it. One of my all time favorites, but now there’s no menace (maybe hasn’t been for a long tome), and Keith is well … let’s just say that Taylor would have add a whole new dimension to the song if he had played. In fact the comparison between Rambler and SFTD is telling. With Taylor, it’s not just a bit of nostalgia for the old folks, there’s real power there. But I actually don’t think I would have like to have Taylor on the whole show-—many of the songs were great as they were. But a couple more with him would be perfect. Just my opinion.

Overall, a really, really great show that I’m glad we had chance to see. It probably won’t come around like this again.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:42

Munichhilton
Bobby Keys is better then sliced bread

Yes indeed.

And they all played great, my goodness, what an awesome version.

Gooooosebumpsssss.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:47

24FPS
DoomandGloom

This fan's ears love Darryl's playing. As I said before in another thread, there is nothing objective in music. How can I explain why his bass playing grooves me and not you? Impossible. I play bass, does this add anything to my comment? Nada. You will not change idea. Bass is about guts.

But I tell you one thing that IS objective: if you have a bad bass player on stage, no matter how the rest of the band plays, the music will be flat.

For what I can see, the house always jumps with excitement: this does not happen if the bass is not there.

Then again, Bill was a superb bass player too, only different style.

I remember the days when Bill quit the band, there was hardly anyone seeing his departure as a loss for the band. So this shows how the ordinary fan works ... nobody has even noticed how many Bill's original lines Darryl is replicating this time around.

C

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:50

Brilliant Ronnie slide on Sway. It'd be nice if they work on the intro and feel for that one; the studio version is driven simply by the main rhythm guitar ringing out (sus2's?), one sustained strum per chord change on the verses which would also give it a more relaxed feel so Jagger wouldn't feel compelled to over-force the singing during the verses. The band has really improved this from the other times they've played it. Kick this baby into shape some more boys, woohoo! Fantastic stuff.

I'm guessing they didn't do the Sway Taylor coda and a longer end to CYHMK because they would have to have cut another song from the set.

And when was the last time that an audible crowd roar swept thru the arena because of the musical high from a guitar solo at a Stones' show (vs the 'performance' of, as noted by 24fps) like that version of CYHMK? It's too late to shut the barn door now, the horses are running wild!

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:51

24FPS
DoomandGloom

I can't honestly say that Darryl's playing adds anything. Maybe other musicians dig what he's playing, but it doesn't translate to what matters, the fan's ears. And yeah, I know all about how he played with Miles Davis. If he's so well regarded, how come nobody clamors for him to play on their records, or on stage?
Where's his great jazz solo album? If he was replaced overnight, would it make any difference at all?

Darryl is not a member of the Stones neither are Chuck, Lisa, Bernard or Bobby. He was hired to play bass. The Stones apparently love his playing and he has been with the band since Bill left and records with them sometimes as well. They want him. That's his job to lay down the foundation along with Charley. I have read that Charley loves playing with him. He is not a "personality" as the Stones are.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:52

24FPS
DoomandGloom

When I joined on to IORR people were discussing Darrell's playing and I began to play attention to the guy. I think he doe some terrific stuff, his head is always up, he counts and communicates changes for the band along with Chuck. DJ is a heads up generous player, he makes Charlie sound great but that's the easy part.

Date: May 21, 2013 20:53

duke richardson

please watch Mick and Keith during Taylor's solo in 'Knockin' at 7.09 - it'll warm your heart..pure Stones

That looks to me like Jagger wants Taylor to wrap it up and having failed that he's looking at Keith as if to say "Do something"...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home