Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
The Thrill is gone?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 12, 2013 11:33

Maybe the last tour, Mick Taylor on, new guest artists, a great stage, only arenas and two new songs: Sounds good, but I can't mobilize the same enthusiasm as I used to do. Maybe it's just me? Or has the band passed their zenit long time ago? I don't know. What is your feeling? Do you still get the same thrill when The Stones are on tour as you used to do? The debate is open!

Re: The Thrill is gone?
Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: May 12, 2013 11:36

Anyone who was at the show tonight would not agree with you.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 12, 2013 11:45

There's a sense of frustration regarding the tix prices, the choice of guests the (under)use of MT, the conservative setlists (this is an arena tour damnit : 3 rarities per show is a requisite).

But I'm glad the band's still alive.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 12, 2013 11:45

Stoneage
Maybe the last tour, Mick Taylor on, new guest artists, a great stage, only arenas and two new songs: Sounds good, but I can't mobilize the same enthusiasm as I used to do. Maybe it's just me? Or has the band passed their zenit long time ago? I don't know. What is your feeling? Do you still get the same thrill when The Stones are on tour as you used to do? The debate is open!

it's a personal choice/mindset, i don't think there is one moment where the thrill leaves for everyone.

i checked out on them back in the 90s and never considered going to 40 licks or any of the subsequent tours
just felt it would be too depressing
but now i'm in it to help celebrate their 50th, and i really enjoyed their concert - the first one i attended in 24 years!

anyone who hasn't seen them, or hasn't seen them in a couple decades, should definitely go. those who have been going regularly for the past 10 years or more, i can see why they might be tired of it.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 12, 2013 12:45

As I get older the more and more rock 'n roll becomes less exciting. It has something to do with age.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 12, 2013 13:07

Nah, pretty excited here, lots of goosebumps so far, even though it's only by proxy at this point, Hyde Park is gonna be GRRRReeeaaattt !

Date: May 12, 2013 13:11

gotdablouse
Hyde Park is gonna be GRRRReeeaaattt !

Méthode Coué, nous voila! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 12, 2013 13:12

What do you expect - a complete new experience, setlist etc. every night?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 12, 2013 13:14

dcba
gotdablouse
Hyde Park is gonna be GRRRReeeaaattt !

Méthode Coué, nous voila! >grinning smiley<

No, no, I really mean it, are you going ?

Date: May 12, 2013 13:25

No though I think it's going to be huge! May the nice weather be with you! thumbs up

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 13:32

Yes, 38 years ago, when Taylor left. Still hoping Taylor doesn't let his goolies cut off like they do now, and he starts noodling on 7 or 8 songs..I like a bit of organized anarchi.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 12, 2013 13:59

Honestly, I haven't been really excited about the Stones since the 2005 tour announcment in NYC.
It's mainly about the high ticket prices and the lack of changes in the setlist. When you know that the
exciting part of the the show is the first hour that might include some rarity and then you pretty much know the
exact order the warhorses are going to be played for the last hour or so. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that is
so much fun anymore. But on the other hand, I think it's great that the band are back on the road and that people on
this web site seem to be satisfied with the shows they've attended during this tour. Having said that, I would have loved
to seen the Rolling Stones at the Echoplex in Los Angeles. That would've been awesome.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 12, 2013 14:08

Stoneage

Not much in the way of thrills-- it's all very sanitized and predictable now, any element of musical adventure is long gone. It's comfort food for boomers. I like the band, obviously, so I check in here and that's enough to get a sense of it.
I have to admit -- four shows in-- and I realize this may be sacrilege--that I can't sit through an entire cellphone vid of Midnight Rambler... again. Not knocking the performance per se but I know exactly what it will look and sound like, and that takes away from the thrill of discovery.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: May 12, 2013 14:11

I hope it´s you, if not then it´s mesmiling smiley
I´ve not had the chance to go to a concert but i watched the pay per view. Before i was afraid that i would not find that thrill which i did not find on 2005-6 tour but much to my gladly surprise i was in heaven. As the show went on the thrill did also and i must say the warhorses were the greatest. I felt so much excitement and the band was flaming and playing in the moment. Haven´t heard Jaggers voice so good since i don´t know when and Ronnies playing absolutely awesome and in a way that i thought he would never play again. So that´s why i complain almost nothing because it´s 2013 and how is it possible to be anything but greatful for the band. One thing is that they are still going but so strong and good thats ,, well The greatest rock n´roll band in the world.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 12, 2013 14:16

I was excited about the London shows last year, but not so much this US tour.

I'm very glad to see and hear Keith playing guitar well again, this has validated the concerts for me.

IMO, with more supporting musicians and guests than there are actual members, it's not really The Rolling Stones, more a reunion/celebration of what that band has done and once were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 14:18 by His Majesty.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 12, 2013 14:19

Less things thrill me like they did 30 yrs ago. (100 yrs ago).

I hate crowds, waiting in line and concerts have all of that.
But when the Stones get to Philly I'll be 16 again!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 12, 2013 14:19

As much as I enjoy the current clips I have to admit that I am not so thrilled about the Stones anymore. I am glad that they finish on such a powerful level though.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: May 12, 2013 14:55

Last time I got excited about the Stones was MSG 1981. Fantastic show. Sound was amazing. 89 Syracuse was absolutely awful and I have not been back since.
I agree with what someone else said here, namely that it is an age factor. Septuagenarians playing Rock n Roll just does not seem right.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 12, 2013 15:52

Stoneage
Do you still get the same thrill when The Stones are on tour as you used to do?

No, of course not. This is not 1978 and I am not 19.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 16:06 by tatters.

Date: May 12, 2013 15:55

I posted this in another thread concerning the Vegas show in YouTube clips but it fits in here, too:

Is it just me or do these clips bore you to death also? I hardly make it through more than 3 mins. then I have to turn it off. It's the same old, same old over and over and over and over again. It's as predictable as a KISS show these days. It's all clean, sterile, planned, organized, etc. BORING. I miss the rock and roll, the sweat and dirt and craziness.

Date: May 12, 2013 17:02

Thanks for your input. Seems like I'm not the only one with mixed emotions...

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:09

You've just gone and gotten old.

Date: May 12, 2013 17:11

Not as old as The Stones though, I might add, Jazzbass...

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:12

Glammy
I posted this in another thread concerning the Vegas show in YouTube clips but it fits in here, too:

Is it just me or do these clips bore you to death also? I hardly make it through more than 3 mins. then I have to turn it off. It's the same old, same old over and over and over and over again. It's as predictable as a KISS show these days. It's all clean, sterile, planned, organized, etc. BORING. I miss the rock and roll, the sweat and dirt and craziness.

this all started 24 years ago and you're just picking up on it now? you're not one of them quick-studies are you?

Date: May 12, 2013 17:23

GRNRBITW
Glammy

this all started 24 years ago and you're just picking up on it now? you're not one of them quick-studies are you?

It didn't bother me that much when I was younger.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:24

hot stuff

Right...it's all a state of mind. I'm in my 50's and I know I'll be able to get pumped up for the concert...It's tougher but you just have to clear the day-to-day sludge out of your brain. In fact, in one of mt final acts of post-teen rebelliousnes...I ain't going to work that day...

Date: May 12, 2013 17:33

Glammy
GRNRBITW
Glammy

It didn't bother me that much when I was younger.

ok. well, don't let it bother you now. it's only rockn'roll and it sucks. or something.

Date: May 12, 2013 17:35

Ok then. Thanks. That helped.

Date: May 12, 2013 17:37

Glammy
Ok then. Thanks. That helped.

i put on the sydney '73 show last night and pretended in my mind it was still 1973. mind over matter. don't mind and it doesn't matter.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:39

palerider22
hot stuff

Right...it's all a state of mind. I'm in my 50's and I know I'll be able to get pumped up for the concert...It's tougher but you just have to clear the day-to-day sludge out of your brain. In fact, in one of mt final acts of post-teen rebelliousnes...I ain't going to work that day...

Oh come on... Do some whip-it's in the parking lot and shotgun a six pack for old time's sake.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home