Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The making of Live at the Max
Posted by: Miranda ()
Date: May 8, 2013 20:47

Now on You Tube:

[youtu.be]

Re: The making of Live at the Max
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 8, 2013 22:10

Thank you very much for letting us know.
A nice piece of Stones history. smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 8, 2013 22:20

Live at the Max was a huge disappointment even though I saw it at a IMAX-theathre. It gave me a fake feeling. Which it probably was...

Date: May 8, 2013 22:26

Here is part 1 embedded, parts 2 and 3 are on youtube

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 9, 2013 00:39

That's strange. I never expected that they would also overdub studio closeup images to the films.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 9, 2013 00:59

The one thing I love about Live At The Max is the WAY it was shot.. Unlike the short attention span filming and 1995 sideway camera angles of the later concert films, Max finds a great shot, and holds it. A wide angle shot that stays for 5 seconds is UNHEARD OF in this day and age. I find many of the post 89 Stones shows difficult to watch due to the crappy editing. It is as if every DP has attention deficit disorder and is afraid to hold a shot for more than a half second.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: May 9, 2013 01:15

I always considered it a lesser experience until I acquired the Blu-ray which finally reveals the film in it's entire glory, not only is this the only way to get the true 16:9 picture instead of the cropped 4:3 on the DVD, but the sound is redeemed from compression into a full HD experience, and IMO it's worth it for the visual experience on your HDTV.

Date: May 9, 2013 01:28

SKILLS
I always considered it a lesser experience until I acquired the Blu-ray which finally reveals the film in it's entire glory, not only is this the only way to get the true 16:9 picture instead of the cropped 4:3 on the DVD, but the sound is redeemed from compression into a full HD experience, and IMO it's worth it for the visual experience on your HDTV.
thumbs up

They show this on Palladia channel (in Highdef) and I think it looks and sounds great.

Date: May 9, 2013 01:49

I saw the film at Cosmonova at The Museum of natural History in Stockholm. You can't get better facilities than that. It means a projection dome with a total surface area of 760 square meters, seats tilted at different angles depending on which row they are located, " six channel sound system, with a separate sub-bass system, than can cover a frequency range from 20 to 20,000 Hz. Total amplification for the system is 15,200 Watts, delivering up to 110 dB sound pressure levels. The main sound source for the six channel system is a DDP-2 digital hard disk-based system. A 35 mm mag track and a DA-88 player are used for back-up. And so on: [www.nrm.se]

Still, I wasn't impressed...

Date: May 9, 2013 01:54

part 2

part3

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 9, 2013 02:01

Saw it twice at the IMAX theatre in Rotterdam ... way back then ... I was amazed, it was wonderful.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 9, 2013 03:53

Stoneage
I saw the film at Cosmonova at The Museum of natural History in Stockholm. You can't get better facilities than that. It means a projection dome with a total surface area of 760 square meters, seats tilted at different angles depending on which row they are located, " six channel sound system, with a separate sub-bass system, than can cover a frequency range from 20 to 20,000 Hz. Total amplification for the system is 15,200 Watts, delivering up to 110 dB sound pressure levels. The main sound source for the six channel system is a DDP-2 digital hard disk-based system. A 35 mm mag track and a DA-88 player are used for back-up. And so on: [www.nrm.se]

My feelings exactly after seeing it at the La Geode IMAX dome in La Villette when it came out in 1981...too bland, or something.

Having said that thanks for sharing the "making of"

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 9, 2013 04:06

I watched the documentary with lots of shots of the Steel Wheel/Urban Jungle. The Stones played very fast and charged up versions of their classic songs. They were younger and they were kicking ass big time. Now the size and the production is insane but still the rolling stones were very very strong and prepared to kill in 1989/90.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 9, 2013 04:10

Keith's magic hand at the 26 second mark is very impressive tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 9, 2013 04:23

Stoneage
Live at the Max was a huge disappointment even though I saw it at a IMAX-theathre. It gave me a fake feeling. Which it probably was...

Live at the MAX was great - except for the inclusion of Sad Sad Sad.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: May 9, 2013 04:41

Stoneage

That is absolutely incredible...At first I thought you saw this in the new tiny screen theaters that try to pass it off as IMAX but I saw this post and i'd love to see any IMAX movie in the place you go to. If I may ask what you found fake about it? Is it technical, production, the pre-canned shots they had to do over when there was no concert taking place?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 9, 2013 04:46

an imax film about beavers? now that sounds interesting.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 9, 2013 04:52

The first exposure to a Stones concert was Live at the Max. I forget the year, it must have been when it first came out. I remember the location. It was inside this giant ball:

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 9, 2013 07:19

Funny that the INXS song they play in the middle of part 2, during the part advertising for next week's episode of In Concert, sounds very similar to Look What The Cat Dragged In lol.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 9, 2013 08:54

The Imax.

Too much rehearsed choreography from Mick.

Striding everywhere.. stop, pull an angular shape.. stride somewhere else.

Do that stretched palm thing.

Keith was trying to match him, is this where the leg kicking nose flicking nonsense started?

Just play the music guys.

Date: May 9, 2013 08:56

I will upload more!!! Finally I know how to upload video's!

Date: May 9, 2013 08:57

Couldn't resist sharing with you all!

Date: May 9, 2013 09:14

Miranda
I am glad you couldn't resist, that is really cool! thumbs up

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 9, 2013 11:31

I saw it whilst on acid. What a trip that was!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 9, 2013 11:37

Miranda

And thanks for doing so

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 9, 2013 22:42

nick
Stoneage

That is absolutely incredible...At first I thought you saw this in the new tiny screen theaters that try to pass it off as IMAX but I saw this post and i'd love to see any IMAX movie in the place you go to. If I may ask what you found fake about it? Is it technical, production, the pre-canned shots they had to do over when there was no concert taking place?

Basically it's a planetarium with a built-in IMAX cinema. I guess there are a handfull of these around the world. I saw a couple of nature films there and the overall impact of the format is mesmerizing. It's as if you are in the movie. I don't think that the format was well made use of on the Stones film though. It didn't impress me or my friend. To me it looked as a cut and paste job. They should have filmed it straight of. It would have been more honest. The real live feeling isn't there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1213
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home