Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728
Current Page: 28 of 28
Re: "From The Vault"- Hampton 1981 on 3 November
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 14, 2014 21:33

GasLightStreet
I didn't buy it. I think I'd rather have Blu-ray than DVD. Although I'm not sure how that would really matter with this.

I think the sound quality is the issue rather than image quality, unless that was your point.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 14, 2014 22:50

'From The Vault - Hampton 1981' on TV:

Broadcast of a 1-hour-version on german/austrian/swiss 3sat (within the 'Pop-around- the-clock' Theme day)

Wednesday, 31-Dec-2014, 10:30am

[www.tvtv.de]

Posted by: allsoldout ()
Date: December 15, 2014 00:27

I'm probably in a minority of one on here who had never seen this gig before apart from the odd clip like Keith bashing that guy over the head with his guitar and the performance of brown sugar which i think were on the old rewind video you know the one with Bill as a museum guard letting Mick out of a glass case and talking humourously about the song clips.I think the reason i avoided it was that the Still Life album had been such a flat disappointing listen and to be honest i wasn't expecting very much but I have to say I was blown away by this it was so good.this isn't my favourite period of the Stones but this concert is great to watch.the energy of Mick striding up the walkway and bouncing around,the song choices were very good Waiting on a Friend,little T&A when the whip comes down and she's so cold were fantastic.I think what I'm trying to say is that the whole show flowed really well building the tempo slowing it down at the right moments and then onto the crescendo of Satisfaction at the end. the lossless sound on the blu-ray was superb great to hear who was playing what on the guitars.really glad i took a chance on this one.now onto L.A. '75

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 15, 2014 00:38

allsoldout
I'm probably in a minority of one on here who had never seen this gig before apart from the odd clip like Keith bashing that guy over the head with his guitar and the performance of brown sugar which i think were on the old rewind video you know the one with Bill as a museum guard letting Mick out of a glass case and talking humourously about the song clips.I think the reason i avoided it was that the Still Life album had been such a flat disappointing listen and to be honest i wasn't expecting very much but I have to say I was blown away by this it was so good.this isn't my favourite period of the Stones but this concert is great to watch.the energy of Mick striding up the walkway and bouncing around,the song choices were very good Waiting on a Friend,little T&A when the whip comes down and she's so cold were fantastic.I think what I'm trying to say is that the whole show flowed really well building the tempo slowing it down at the right moments and then onto the crescendo of Satisfaction at the end. the lossless sound on the blu-ray was superb great to hear who was playing what on the guitars.really glad i took a chance on this one.now onto L.A. '75

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 17, 2014 17:34

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
I didn't buy it. I think I'd rather have Blu-ray than DVD. Although I'm not sure how that would really matter with this.

I think the sound quality is the issue rather than image quality, unless that was your point.

Well that's just it - I'm not sure. Image wise, wouldn't the Blu-ray just be a better awful picture!? I don't know what to make of the sound, which one would sound better. I'm not sure if it matters.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 18, 2014 03:18

odean73
allsoldout

thumbs up

And Mr. Wyman deserved a "Bill's good tonight, idn't he....?"

Date: February 26, 2015 00:59

Thanks to Kowalski for finding this thread for me!

Picked this release up today (2-25-15), DVD with the 2 CDs.

What happened to Take The A Train!!??

Hilarious beginning, Keith's guitar all screwed up, loads of wrong notes. They left the guitar overdub in in the bridge of LSTNT. At least the ending isn't the cleaned up one that's on STILL LIFE.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 26, 2015 01:14

GasLightStreet
Thanks to Kowalski for finding this thread for me!

Picked this release up today (2-25-15), DVD with the 2 CDs.

What happened to Take The A Train!!??

Hilarious beginning, Keith's guitar all screwed up, loads of wrong notes. They left the guitar overdub in in the bridge of LSTNT. At least the ending isn't the cleaned up one that's on STILL LIFE.

Glad I could help. Looking forward to read your review.

Date: February 26, 2015 01:17

Overdubs on TIOMS and Miss You as well.

Date: February 26, 2015 01:45

DandelionPowderman
Overdubs on TIOMS and Miss You as well.

Ah, I was wondering. I remember some rumblings about more overdubs but was counting on another day home from the dentist or rainy day to go through 27 pages... ha ha!

Date: February 26, 2015 01:48

The MY overdubs are horrendous, and completely unnecessary. On top of it all, the lyrics are wrong!

Date: February 26, 2015 02:25

Listened to Miss You. The guitars are all over the place. Can't tell where the O/Ds are!

Date: February 26, 2015 08:31

GasLightStreet
Listened to Miss You. The guitars are all over the place. Can't tell where the O/Ds are!

The key words are "Lord I miss you" after the humming.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 26, 2015 12:08

DandelionPowderman
The MY overdubs are horrendous, and completely unnecessary. On top of it all, the lyrics are wrong!

Still it is the best version of Miss You ever.

Mathijs

Date: February 26, 2015 12:10

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Still it is the best version of Miss You ever.

Mathijs

Yeah, the overdubs aren't over-shadowing anything, really. But they were not necessary. Agreed. At least, it's one of the best ever. And no falsetto whatsoever in 1981, or am I mis-remembering that?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 26, 2015 19:00

Those where the last true Rolling Stones!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 26, 2015 19:37

i just watched this last weekend ,and what really stood out to me was the serious tone of Keef's tele . very serious !!!!!!

Date: February 26, 2015 21:22

"Listening" to the blu ray right now while I'm working...ah the good old days.

Date: February 27, 2015 04:38

treaclefingers

That's why the present is so hard to take. But at least they're releasing material so the more discerning old farts like me can have something to enjoy. Yeah, I guess '81, and the '82 Europe tour were the end of them as the Stones that we knew. Steel Wheels had moments but it was subsumed by all the people on stage and the stage itself.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: February 27, 2015 17:26

24FPS
treaclefingers

That's why the present is so hard to take. But at least they're releasing material so the more discerning old farts like me can have something to enjoy. Yeah, I guess '81, and the '82 Europe tour were the end of them as the Stones that we knew. Steel Wheels had moments but it was subsumed by all the people on stage and the stage itself.

Totally agree.

Date: February 28, 2015 03:51

I've yet to watch the DVD. Still spending some time listening. I really enjoy hearing the TATTOO YOU tracks live plus Let It Bleed. Strangely enough Honky Tonk Women and Tumbling Dice are pretty good.

What's the best is between the tracks, Mick's expressions. It's the last of the Jagger everyone knew from the 1970s with his silly shit hoots and screams and oofs and whatever. When STEEL WHEELS came along it was totally slick regional sayings and nothing silly or fun.

It's been that way ever since.

Date: February 28, 2015 04:42

GasLightStreet
I've yet to watch the DVD. Still spending some time listening. I really enjoy hearing the TATTOO YOU tracks live plus Let It Bleed. Strangely enough Honky Tonk Women and Tumbling Dice are pretty good.

What's the best is between the tracks, Mick's expressions. It's the last of the Jagger everyone knew from the 1970s with his silly shit hoots and screams and oofs and whatever. When STEEL WHEELS came along it was totally slick regional sayings and nothing silly or fun.

It's been that way ever since.

I'm kind of mixed about that. I remember seeing them in '78 and I felt like I was getting that last wisp of 'Oh My God, It's the Rolling Stones! Live! Right in front of me!' 1981 feels more like a working band, actually trying to get the music down right. Keith's dead serious for the first time in years, and, as always, Bill & Charlie are magnificent.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: February 28, 2015 12:08

GasLightStreet

Agree. In 1989 it felt like he was the host for the Rolling Stones "history jukebox". The craziness, rawness and spontanity were gone. Even if I like some of the stadiumrockversions like Start Me Up, Bitch (with the synthhorns),Ruby Tuesday, Salt Of The Earth and Terrifying.

Date: March 2, 2015 22:01

Tops
GasLightStreet

Agree. In 1989 it felt like he was the host for the Rolling Stones "history jukebox". The craziness, rawness and spontanity were gone. Even if I like some of the stadiumrockversions like Start Me Up, Bitch (with the synthhorns),Ruby Tuesday, Salt Of The Earth and Terrifying.

It is interesting how some of the tunes got ramped up, like Start Me Up (the best it's ever sounded) and Bitch on the STEEL WHEELS tour and some that should've been whack to hear live, like UOTNight, fell completely flat (same with One Hit). Miss You was way too fast. Ruby Tuesday sounded plastic. Oddly enough I thought Paint It Black was fantastic. The SW songs turned out pretty damn good live. The back catalog, I thought Midnight Rambler was pretty damn good. 2000 Light Years was really nice, even with the horrible synths. Harlem Shuffle worked well. Street Fighting Man was awful, as was JJFlash.

But yeah, jukebox is right. It's been that way ever since, although probably the BRIDGES and LICKS tours were clearly their best tours post-Wyman. VOODOO was a bit of a snore and ever since the LICKS tour it's one giant nostalgia trip. The ABB tour was simply a paycheck. They sure didn't play like it.

Date: March 2, 2015 23:10

I'd never paid that much attention, but I was watching Hampton last night, digging Wyman on Miss You, when they cut to Jagger at the mike. He says nothing but you hear him singing. Seemed an amateurish move.

Date: March 3, 2015 00:13

There are no synth horns on Bitch. On Miss You and IJWMLTY, however, there are some horrendous harps...

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: March 3, 2015 23:11

Is the set George Thorogood did on the blu-ray?

Haven't bought it yet.

Date: March 4, 2015 07:31

JumpinJeppeFlash
Is the set George Thorogood did on the blu-ray?

Haven't bought it yet.

No. They also pare down a lot of the stuff from the beginning you saw on the boot. It doesn't matter much, unless you want more footage of Bill Wyman kicking Bill Graham's ass in ping pong.

Date: March 4, 2015 20:49

GasLightStreet
Tops
GasLightStreet

It is interesting how some of the tunes got ramped up, like Start Me Up (the best it's ever sounded) and Bitch on the STEEL WHEELS tour and some that should've been whack to hear live, like UOTNight, fell completely flat (same with One Hit). Miss You was way too fast. Ruby Tuesday sounded plastic. Oddly enough I thought Paint It Black was fantastic. The SW songs turned out pretty damn good live. The back catalog, I thought Midnight Rambler was pretty damn good. 2000 Light Years was really nice, even with the horrible synths. Harlem Shuffle worked well. Street Fighting Man was awful, as was JJFlash.

But yeah, jukebox is right. It's been that way ever since, although probably the BRIDGES and LICKS tours were clearly their best tours post-Wyman. VOODOO was a bit of a snore and ever since the LICKS tour it's one giant nostalgia trip. The ABB tour was simply a paycheck. They sure didn't play like it.

You neglect the "No Security Tour"...don't lump that in with the Bridges tour.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: December 12, 2018 13:05

the edition of USA is in red vinyl is the first edition or all I have seen in amazon this is

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728
Current Page: 28 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home