Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28
Re: "From The Vault"- Hampton 1981 on 3 November
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 19, 2014 15:43

DandelionPowderman

Keith is a little low in the mix on my copy (Swinging Pig).

That's correct and overall the TSP cd was a distaster : bad balance and an overloaded sound. The VGP version was a big improvement!

Date: November 19, 2014 15:45

dcba
DandelionPowderman

Keith is a little low in the mix on my copy (Swinging Pig).

That's correct and overall the TSP cd was a distaster : bad balance and an overloaded sound. The VGP version was a big improvement!

I agree, but wasn't the problem with all the bootlegs of this show, as well as the original broadcast, that Keith was a little low in the mix?

Finally getting a balanced-sounding Hampton-show was the most important thing for me thumbs up

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 21, 2014 20:31

jpasc95
it's already been mentionned here, on the blu-rau version, there is a picture flaw on some parts of Beat Of Burden.
Is it also the case on the DVD version ?

I prepared myself for the worst, but I didn't see a lot bad happening with the picture. Maybe some colours went a little wrong, but not realy much too even mentioned it. If it wasn't mentioned here I would not have noticed. It's after all a more than 30 years old video recording!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-21 20:31 by GJV.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 21:39

GJV
jpasc95
it's already been mentionned here, on the blu-rau version, there is a picture flaw on some parts of Beat Of Burden.

I prepared myself for the worst, but I didn't see a lot bad happening with the picture. Maybe some colours went a little wrong, but not realy much too even mentioned it. If it wasn't mentioned here I would not have noticed. It's after all a more than 30 years old video recording!
it's just that on previous DVD versions of the same show, you don't have that flaw on Beast of Burden.
That's why it's a bit unexpected to have it on blu-ray.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 21, 2014 21:42

Wow, such a powerful show!! I saw them in Syracuse a month earlier and didn't feel nearly that amount for energy.

Posted by: fullbandwith ()
Date: November 21, 2014 21:56

"it's just that on previous DVD versions of the same show, you don't have that flaw on Beast of Burden.
That's why it's a bit unexpected to have it on blu-ray."

From looking at it here it seems by the timing that it may have been a crossover to another tape of lower format in between changing reels back to the higher quality masters.(WHo was the source of the previous dvds, was it off air?) Beyond that,its anyones guess. It is 33 yrs old so am still delighted to have it even with the blip in video. Sound is stunning anyway .)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-21 22:02 by fullbandwith.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 22, 2014 00:30

The DVD moved 2-1 on Billboard's Top Music Video chart, the 4th #1 peak for the Stones on the U.S. video's chart in the last 4 years.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 22, 2014 04:53

georgelicks
The DVD moved 2-1 on Billboard's Top Music Video chart, the 4th #1 peak for the Stones on the U.S. video's chart in the last 4 years.

[www.billboard.com]

That's a nice stats, thanks GL.

What were the other three? Ladies and Gentlemen, Some Girls Live In Texas, and Charlie is My Darling?

Wonder how LA will fare in comparison?

Date: November 22, 2014 10:50

jpasc95
GJV
jpasc95

it's just that on previous DVD versions of the same show, you don't have that flaw on Beast of Burden.

Is the flaw those red stripes that disappear after a few seconds?

Date: November 22, 2014 13:23

DandelionPowderman
jpasc95
GJV
jpasc95

no DP,
sorry but I don't remember when exactly the picture quality decreases but you will easily see it by yourself if you watch the blu ray version.
It's impossible not to notice.

Date: November 22, 2014 14:07

jpasc95
DandelionPowderman
jpasc95
GJV
jpasc95

no DP,
sorry but I don't remember when exactly the picture quality decreases but you will easily see it by yourself if you watch the blu ray version.

I only have the DVD and there are some red stripes for a few seconds there.

Date: November 22, 2014 14:33

DandelionPowderman
jpasc95
DandelionPowderman
jpasc95
GJV
jpasc95

no DP,

I only have the DVD and there are some red stripes for a few seconds there.
so it's obvious that you don't have this trouble on the dvd version.

Date: November 22, 2014 15:23

Iorr-ers might be interested in reading my Huffington Post review/feature on LA75 and Hampton 81. Favourites? 1981 Tumbling Dice and both sets' You Can't Always Get...
[www.huffingtonpost.co.uk]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 22, 2014 15:35

MadMetaphoricalMax
Iorr-ers might be interested in reading my Huffington Post review/feature on LA75 and Hampton 81. Favourites? 1981 Tumbling Dice and both sets' You Can't Always Get...

Nice reading, thanks for sharing! thumbs up

Date: November 22, 2014 15:52

Cristiano Radtke
MadMetaphoricalMax

Nice reading, thanks for sharing! thumbs up

Yes, thanks Tim!

Hampton 81 -compare 2012 release with 2014 release
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: December 1, 2014 14:36

Forgive if this has been addressed, but I cannot seem to locate discussion on what is the difference b/t the Hampton 81 released in January 2012 and the one released 2 weeks ago. I have read a lot of the threads on this, but the comparison is more with the bootleg releases of old.

Are they different shows, merely different formats, or is there something I am missing?

Also, if anyone wants to explain the same regarding the LA 75 release, I am all ears, too.

Many thanx and please forgive all duplicity.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Re: Hampton 81 -compare 2012 release with 2014 release
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 1, 2014 15:25

From nzentgraf.de :

- Download-album 'Hampton Coliseum (Live 1981)' (Promotone B.V. BGDDRS71). Recorded live in Hampton, Virginia, December 18, 1981. Mixed by Bob Clearmountain.

- DVD + 2CD's 'Hampton Coliseum (Live In 1981)' (Eagle Vision EAGDV037). Filmed and recorded live in Hampton, Virginia, December 18, 1981. Directed by Hal Ashby and Tom Trbovich. Mixed by Bob Clearmountain.

Also I made a comparison between the 2012 lossless download and the 2014 CD's and there's no notable differences. Just the same mastering.

The only difference is on the blu-ray soundtrack : it's the same show but with a different - uncompressed - mastering which sounds much better than the CD or the download.

Date: December 1, 2014 15:26

Sounds like it's remixed for the different formats (LP, CD, DVD, BluRay).

Date: December 1, 2014 15:44

DandelionPowderman

I don't think it's different remixes, just not the same mastering or sources.
2012 download and CD's uses the same highly compressed and loud mastering. BLu-ray uses a 24 bit source with an uncompressed mastering but it's the same Bob Clearmountain mix.
For vinyl it's claimed to use a hi-res digital source (88.2kHz/24bit) - probaly the same as the 24 bit blu-ray sound track.

Date: December 1, 2014 15:48

kowalski
DandelionPowderman

I don't think it's different remixes, just not the same mastering or sources.
2012 download and CD's uses the same highly compressed and loud mastering. BLu-ray uses a 24 bit source with an uncompressed mastering but it's the same Bob Clearmountain mix.
For vinyl it's claimed to use a hi-res digital source (88.2kHz/24bit) - probaly the same as the 24 bit blu-ray sound track.

I meant re-mastered smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-01 15:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 1, 2014 16:44

I suppose it could make sense to make flacs or a personal cd from the bluray mix.

Darn, I wish they'd release the Ladies & Gents soundtrack (or other '72 live material) in a remixed Clearmountain version.

Date: December 1, 2014 16:59

LieB
I suppose it could make sense to make flacs or a personal cd from the bluray mix.

Darn, I wish they'd release the Ladies & Gents soundtrack (or other '72 live material) in a remixed Clearmountain version.

It absolutely makes sense if you want to listen to the original Bob Clearmountain remix (before being squashed for download/CD release) IMO.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: December 2, 2014 01:34

I found the dvd yesterday here in China (shenzhen) 10rmb I bought 3 copies

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 2, 2014 14:38

Just such a wonderful DVD, as is LA '75; in the weeks since they've been out I watched quite a few times.

I had both on bootleg, but the picture and sound quality far superior to the older versions I had; Hampton in particular was a revelation. I'd never been a huge fan of the '81 jaunt, the pro shots I had (Seattle, Houston, Wembley '82) were good but not great. LTSNT I did like, but with it's sped up tracks and cramming so much into the running time it did leave a bit to be desired.

Hampton '81 on first viewing few weeks ago was a knockout; the sound, the groove, the smiles and looks between the band - just such a wonderful show!

Date: December 12, 2014 04:35

The LP/DVD combo's on a good deal on amazon.co.uk again, 21 GBP:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: December 12, 2014 05:06

both LPs sounds great

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 12, 2014 23:31

Has anyone actually done an audio rip of the uncompressed BluRay track and heard the difference to the CD's? Is it significant?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 14, 2014 19:47

Saw it at Best Buy yesterday, something like $28 or so. CD/DVD.

Date: December 14, 2014 19:56

GasLightStreet
Saw it at Best Buy yesterday, something like $28 or so. CD/DVD.

I did the download so I avoided the CD combo as I presumed you weren't getting anything new with that.

I bought the Blu Ray version in addition to the LP's, so I'll see if I can rip those versions.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 14, 2014 20:00

I didn't buy it. I think I'd rather have Blu-ray than DVD. Although I'm not sure how that would really matter with this.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home