Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Keith at Crossroads Guitar Festival, NYC April 13 (photos)
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 14, 2013 07:45

Keith joined Eric Clapton for "Key To The Highway" and "Sweet Little Rock & Roller"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 14:56 by bye bye johnny.

Re: Keith at Crossroads Guitar Festival, NYC April 13 (photos)
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 14, 2013 08:08

I showed this to my girlfriend, who has pretty modern music tastes and doesn't pay any attention to the Rolling Stones unless I make her.

Her take was Eric Clapton looks like "a retired math teacher" and Keith looks like he's "a vibrant rock and roller."

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 14, 2013 08:40

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:15

video:

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:43

Damn, I nearly went to this, but thanks to spending all my money on certain people's tours . . . It must have been amazing.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 14, 2013 10:30

Has Keith always played the the guitar strapped so low?

He's plucking/strumming over the fretboard.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 10:31 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: April 14, 2013 11:28

Nice! Is is just me or does Keith cut Eric off in Claptons first solo? Looks like he was starting to go around again when Keith suddenly comes back in on the vocal

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: April 14, 2013 12:25

Key to the Highway & Sweet Little Rock and Roller

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 14, 2013 12:29

It's only blues, but I like it. Keith looks fine, and sings nicely, and nothing wrong with his playing either.

- Doxa

Date: April 14, 2013 12:43

Damn that first solo by Keith in "Sweet Rock and Roller" is a tasty little son of bitch...

Also him and Eric sharing the vocals in chorus sounds delicious.

Keith sounds like continuing from where he was in London/Newark/NY. What is nice is how focused he is, and how well he keeps his shit together.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 14, 2013 13:13

Great, thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: April 14, 2013 13:26

Doxa
Damn that first solo by Keith in "Sweet Rock and Roller" is a tasty little son of bitch...

Also him and Eric sharing the vocals in chorus sounds delicious.

Keith sounds like continuing from where he was in London/Newark/NY. What is nice is how focused he is, and how well he keeps his shit together.

- Doxa

He still nails those Chuck Berry riffs. It's something that's in his blood and that he will never forget.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 14, 2013 13:34

Yep, good to see and Keith is sharpening his chops up ready to roll...give him a few weeks rehearsals and he will be on top form (relatively speaking). It's amazing seeing/hearing this after those clips of him with Elvis Costello and Johnny Depp last year where he was struggling to even play the most basic licks. He had obviously not touched a guitar for a long time prior to those gigs.

It's all looking good for the tour and he even seems to be singing better, here's hoping he might do a bit of backing vocals with Mick. I'd love to see them share a mic during some songs, when those two sang in harmony it was the best sound in Rock N Roll !

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: April 14, 2013 13:58

Date: April 14, 2013 14:04

crumbling_mice
Yep, good to see and Keith is sharpening his chops up ready to roll...give him a few weeks rehearsals and he will be on top form (relatively speaking). It's amazing seeing/hearing this after those clips of him with Elvis Costello and Johnny Depp last year where he was struggling to even play the most basic licks. He had obviously not touched a guitar for a long time prior to those gigs.

Yeah, it has been a long road since those terrible Costello/Depp performances, which really made one figure if the man is totally gone.

The thing I like in this "recovered" Keith is the focus in his playing. Yeah, he is technically very limited and lost so much of his old condition, but he concentrates on what he (still) can and does it rather well. Gone are those mindless freeriding out of tune solos and two-three note berry-licks he just throw away without any sense of point or timing or anything. The biggest change has happened in his mind I think. Sobriety?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 14:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 14, 2013 14:17

Nice to hear him play well outside of the Stones. A year ago I thought he was finished as a guitarist. I've never been happier to be proved wrong .

Go Keef Go thumbs up

sc uk

Posted by: howled ()
Date: April 14, 2013 14:19

Rollin92

Keith's swinging just fine.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: April 14, 2013 14:34

Doxa
crumbling_mice

Yeah, it has been a long road since those terrible Costello/Depp performances, which really made one figure if the man is totally gone.

The thing I like in this "recovered" Keith is the focus in his playing. Yeah, he is technically very limited and lost so much of his old condition, but he concentrates on what he (still) can and does it rather well. Gone are those mindless freeriding out of tune solos and two-three note berry-licks he just throw away without any sense of point or timing or anything. The biggest change has happened in his mind I think. Sobriety?

- Doxa

The Costello performance was out of the blue with no rehearsal or anything as far as I know and Keith was playing a borrowed guitar or something, so it's not something that can even be considered to judge Keith's guitar playing.

The Johnny Depp thing is another casual jam thing I think.

Don't take one offs and jams too seriously even if someone in the audience videos them.

Keith's thing is his swing.

When Keith is swinging he starts floating the rhythm and that's Keith's zone and Keith and Charlie can do it together, not all the time though.

Charlie's thing is swing as well.

I read Keith saying that he probably got influenced by Big Band Swing a bit and Charlie is right into Jazz swing.

Notes per second and all that stuff mean nothing to Keith.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:15

GravityBoy
Has Keith always played the the guitar strapped so low?
He's plucking/strumming over the fretboard.

Not always quite so low, but see the New Barbarians, the Licks tour, etc. Low is the way Keith likes it.
And yes, he plays up by/on the neck a lot.

Thanks for posting all this, people - and thanks & praises, Keith!

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:21

Eric Clapton & Keith Richards playin' dem blues in 2013 -- @#$%& yeah, baby!

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:21

Eric Clapton & Keith Richards playing the blues in 2013 -- @#$%& yeah, baby!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:22

howled
Doxa
crumbling_mice

- Doxa

The Costello performance was out of the blue with no rehearsal or anything as far as I know and Keith was playing a borrowed guitar or something, so it's not something that can even be considered to judge Keith's guitar playing.

The Johnny Depp thing is another casual jam thing I think.

Don't take one offs and jams too seriously even if someone in the audience videos them.

Keith's thing is his swing.

When Keith is swinging he starts floating the rhythm and that's Keith's zone and Keith and Charlie can do it together, not all the time though.

Charlie's thing is swing as well.

I read Keith saying that he probably got influenced by Big Band Swing a bit and Charlie is right into Jazz swing.

Notes per second and all that stuff mean nothing to Keith.

Yes. Check out Respectable from last year: John Mayer million notes a second, followed by Ronnie, then Keith hits it from a completely different direction ............classic.

sc uk

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:39

Thanks so much to everyone who put up the videos and photos, really makes me smile. smiling smiley

Keith!! I could just kiss his wrinkly old face...fantastic playing and he looks like he's having a great time up there. But whoever said Eric Clapton looks like he's a retired teacher is spot on. You'd think he could have spruced himself up a bit for his own festival. Oh well, he can wear what he wants, I'm just glad to see both of them, but especially Keith, playing so well.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:46

Nice to see keith focused. Can anyone other than Berry do Berry like Keith??

Date: April 14, 2013 15:47

Brilliant! Simply brilliant thumbs up

And now... bring on the Keith-bashers. He can´t sing, he can´t play anymore - bla bla bla...

Keith Richards IS rock´n´roll, if there was any doubt about that.

PS: I know he forgot the lyrics a couple of places there smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:51

Steve Jordan on drums I know, but [peering hard] is that Willie Weeks on bass?! Way cool! :E

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:53

Eric may be going in the same direction as Dick Taylor.
Someone you could just pass in the street without a second glance.
Both such talented guys but without the certain charisma of the guys in The Rolling Stones.
eye rolling smiley

Posted by: nerd1 ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:56

Thanks so much for all the photos and videos.

The smile on Keith face is priceless.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 14, 2013 16:03

Fantastic stufff!!!!

all those Keef Bashers.............

eat some shit, roll over.

KEEF IS GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jEROEN

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 14, 2013 16:11

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home