Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
'Jagger says we've probably seen the last of Wyman'
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2013 05:44

In the new Rolling Stone magazine they talk about the upcoming tour. Wyman complained about playing on only two songs, and speculated that the band was trying to punish him for quitting in 1993. "I'm not trying to punish him!" says Jagger. "I was very happy to see him. I don't know, really, what he wanted, to be perfectly honest."

From the same article, Richards is more open to a Wyman return. "I don't close doors," he says. "But sometimes I lose the key."

Jagger is actively demo'ing new songs and Richards says he's writing too. Any recording would probably take place after the tour.

Re: 'Jagger says we've probably seen the last of Wyman'
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 14, 2013 05:54

24FPS

From the same article, Richards is more open to a Wyman return. "I don't close doors," he says. "But sometimes I lose the key."

What does that even mean??

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2013 06:05

Jagger is actively demo'ing new songs and Richards says he's writing too. Any recording would probably take place after the tour.

.....best news of the week ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 14, 2013 06:06

Keith didnt kick Wyman out of the band (he didnt close that door), Wyman quit, and whether or not Keith wants him back in the band is up in the air, hard to decide, he just cant find that key

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 06:07 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 14, 2013 06:08

Max'sKansasCity
Keith didnt kick Wyman out of the band (he didnt close that door), Wyman quit, and whether or not Keith wants him back in the band is up in the air, hard to decide, he just cant find that key

Aha, that makes sense. Thanks. This is turning into a soap opera.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 14, 2013 06:10

Rockman

Whole heartedly agree!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 14, 2013 06:17

ryanpow
Max'sKansasCity

I wonder which brand of soap they would promote? winking smiley

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 14, 2013 06:38

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2013 07:14

What sort of layers do these people keep between themselves? Are you telling me that Mick & Bill can't just call each other up and straighten it out? What DO you want Bill? Yes, they contacted you first, you did not seek them out. Then, when you did return, things didn't go as planned. But who did you talk to about it? It's not like you don't have an in to the group any longer. You and Charlie are thick as thieves. (Whatever that means). I'm sure Ronnie would take your phone call. And you can always FAX Keith. Come on, man. You're friggin' 76. This could be the last time.....really. If you want to work with the group in some capacity then talk it over with them. Tell them what you want. Nothing ventured....

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 14, 2013 07:21

24FPS
What sort of layers do these people keep between themselves? ..

I don't think they talk amongst themselves about their feelings or desires much at all... sort of comes from being male and British and from that generation. In fact, I bet Mick's quote in this article about Keith "doing ok" because he is "hardworking and friendly" is probably the first time Keith will have heard him say something like that. Just like Keith had to publish an autobiography in order to tell Mick some personal feelings.

Just my guess, having hung around a bunch of Englishmen of that generation.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 14, 2013 07:57

sonomastone
24FPS
What sort of layers do these people keep between themselves? ..

I don't think they talk amongst themselves about their feelings or desires much at all... sort of comes from being male and British and from that generation. In fact, I bet Mick's quote in this article about Keith "doing ok" because he is "hardworking and friendly" is probably the first time Keith will have heard him say something like that. Just like Keith had to publish an autobiography in order to tell Mick some personal feelings.

Just my guess, having hung around a bunch of Englishmen of that generation.

Good observation. I can agree with this. It's either this or they just create this drama just to keep the band's name in the press. But its probably true that they don't talk enough and say what they really think, which I would find amazing for them to have lasted so long with no communication. That's what makes me wonder. But who knows. I am glad Keith is working hard and being friendly.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 14, 2013 08:53

They should've let him play the whole concert IMO....and Hyde Park too

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:41

Must admit I was a bit taken aback when at the first London show Jagger just introduced him as "a former member of the band." I believe he was a bit more expansive the second night.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:46

I think Keith Richards might have the best roll of amazing sayings of anyone.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:52

It's not over yet! Who would ever have imagined that in 2012 we would see a number of great shows, with both Bill and Mick Taylor included? At their age, with nothing done together since the last tour? Sometimes I think this is all a dream.

Mick, since I know you're here, pick up that phone and call Bill! He's waiting for your call!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 14, 2013 10:07

24FPS
"I was very happy to see him. I don't know, really, what he wanted, to be perfectly honest."

Maybe the courtesy of a soundcheck for a start?

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: April 14, 2013 13:36

GravityBoy
24FPS
"I was very happy to see him. I don't know, really, what he wanted, to be perfectly honest."

Absolutely agree, although, Bill could have told Mick what he wanted instead of going to the press. Then again what does Mick think he wanted...THIS IS BILL WYMAN, 30 YRS IN THE BAND, THE BLOKE WHO SHARED STU'S VAN WITH THEM, THE BLOKE WHO WAS THERE FROM 1962, THE BLOKE WHO'S ARCHIVES HAVE BEEN INVALUABLE IN PROVIDING US GREAT RELEASES/INFO OVER THE PAST DECADE..THE BLOKE WHO WAS A KEY PART OF THE STONES SOUND..THE BLOKE WHO WANTED TO CELEBRATE THE 50TH SHOWS BY PLAYING FOR MORE THAN 8 MINUTES...It's not really hard to figure what he wanted Mick.

I know I'll get slapped down by Bill bashers but hey like or not YOU LOVE the music which he contributed to....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 13:37 by Rollin92.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 14, 2013 14:49

Rockman

smileys with beer

Date: April 14, 2013 15:12

Max'sKansasCity
ryanpow
Max'sKansasCity

I wonder which brand of soap they would promote? winking smiley

Jergens?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 15:15 by ryanpow.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:26

24FPS
What sort of layers do these people keep between themselves? Are you telling me that Mick & Bill can't just call each other up and straighten it out? What DO you want Bill? Yes, they contacted you first, you did not seek them out. Then, when you did return, things didn't go as planned. But who did you talk to about it? It's not like you don't have an in to the group any longer. You and Charlie are thick as thieves. (Whatever that means). I'm sure Ronnie would take your phone call. And you can always FAX Keith. Come on, man. You're friggin' 76. This could be the last time.....really. If you want to work with the group in some capacity then talk it over with them. Tell them what you want. Nothing ventured....

Mick already lied to Greg Kot of Chicago Tribune about this, claiming "Bill wasn't up for touring". Bill was up for touring if it meant playing the whole show, not just a two-song guest appearance.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:28

Everyone who saw the shows last year when Bill was on stage should have seen the background of these statements. While Bill was himself simply being there, not really doing any strong connections with the crowd, Mick Taylor was over-excited. At the first show Mick Taylor was like a kid in a toy store, simply too excited. After that he was simply a big smile and
a warm welcome. That is why Mick Taylor will play a more central role this next time around. Like Keith said, they did not throw away the key, but a relationship is three-sided here : band member - band - crowd.

Bjornulf

Date: April 14, 2013 15:34

bv
Everyone who saw the shows last year when Bill was on stage should have seen the background of these statements. While Bill was himself simply being there, not really doing any strong connections with the crowd, Mick Taylor was over-excited. At the first show Mick Taylor was like a kid in a toy store, simply too excited. After that he was simply a big smile and
a warm welcome. That is why Mick Taylor will play a more central role this next time around. Like Keith said, they did not throw away the key, but a relationship is three-sided here : band member - band - crowd.

Thats true but Bill has always just stood there but the crowd and the band knew he would stand there, thats why we love him. It would be very weird seeing Bill moving about, we were all excited for his involvement and I doubt anyone thought that he'd be moving about etc. I don't accept that Bill has no connection with a crowd, at Ronnie's Bluefest gig last June he received the loudest cheer of the lot (just listen to the bootleg) and he received a hearty cheer at the 02.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:44

Bill Wyman is becoming tiresome with all his bleating of late. He got into the band purely on the strength of having a decent amp. They kept him in the band throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's...There were many better bass players they could have used, but they stuck with Bill - he was by then a Stone and the loyalty was there. It was his choice to walk away and if I remember correctly at the time he said in more than one interviews he had had enough of the band, the touring, the lack of recognisation for his song writing abilities. He moved on, set up his own relatively succesful band and, cough...became a metal detector of some noteriety!

Come 2012 and they are celebrating their 50 years and along with Taylor - who also walked away from them, they invite him to be a part of the party and he accepts. He plays on a couple of songs at some of the gigs as does Taylor. Now, if he wanted a bigger role in all this surely he should have had it clarified before he turned up for the first gig exactly what the deal was. I mean, if any one should know how the Glimmer Twins operate, it's Bill. It's no good turning up, getting a real buzz out of it and then saying well, I want more but they won't let me!

Bill should be glad they invited him, welcomed him, let him back into the greatest rock n roll band on the planet. If his attitude was a bit better maybe Jagger would have opened the door a little wider. TO me it all smacks of Wyman being a little ungrateful.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:46

ryanpow
24FPS

What does that even mean??

It means Mick closes the door, then Keith locks it and throws the key away.

How could that not be more clear?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:49

I don't think bill wanted to tour the United States or the rest of the world but I do think he wanted a larger roll at the 02 shows.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:49

crumbling_mice
Bill Wyman is becoming tiresome with all his bleating of late. He got into the band purely on the strength of having a decent amp. They kept him in the band throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's...There were many better bass players they could have used, but they stuck with Bill - he was by then a Stone and the loyalty was there. It was his choice to walk away and if I remember correctly at the time he said in more than one interviews he had had enough of the band, the touring, the lack of recognisation for his song writing abilities. He moved on, set up his own relatively succesful band and, cough...became a metal detector of some noteriety!

Come 2012 and they are celebrating their 50 years and along with Taylor - who also walked away from them, they invite him to be a part of the party and he accepts. He plays on a couple of songs at some of the gigs as does Taylor. Now, if he wanted a bigger role in all this surely he should have had it clarified before he turned up for the first gig exactly what the deal was. I mean, if any one should know how the Glimmer Twins operate, it's Bill. It's no good turning up, getting a real buzz out of it and then saying well, I want more but they won't let me!

Bill should be glad they invited him, welcomed him, let him back into the greatest rock n roll band on the planet. If his attitude was a bit better maybe Jagger would have opened the door a little wider. TO me it all smacks of Wyman being a little ungrateful.

Wyman wasn't a little anything Newman!

Date: April 14, 2013 15:51

crumbling_mice

Better bass players out there, yes but as Keith stated in Life something took off when he happened with Charlie. Bill's bass sound was part of the glory years of the Stones, whether people like him or not its irrelevant, fact is we love the music he plays on. I think its a divisive issue on this board. I've said before though that if he died tomorrow or one of us met him in the street we wouldn't dish out some of the bad press he gets on this board.

I for one like the guy, met him in 2011 and he was a very nice man, I don't think he was ungrateful, then again to othere he may be, 30 yrs then 8 minutes..bit crap if you ask me. As with Keith when Bill goes I'll miss the 'stubborn old bugger'!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:56

Thank you 24FPS and Lorenz.

It reallly makes you wonder what the heck went on with all of them when they got together last year. Despite the various quotes from Bill in the press, he doesn't really say what happened, Mick sounds bewildered here, although that could be an act, and Keith's remarks are obtuse. It really is a shame Bill won't be with them, that would have been a dream come true to see Wyman and Taylor on stage with the rest of the band for the upcoming tour.

It is very nice to see that Mick and Keith are on friendly terms, I think we will see a new album. smiling smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 14, 2013 15:58

What a bunch of babies...my ten year old could solve their 'problems'...

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 14, 2013 16:55

Rollin92
GravityBoy
24FPS

Absolutely agree, although, Bill could have told Mick what he wanted instead of going to the press. Then again what does Mick think he wanted...THIS IS BILL WYMAN, 30 YRS IN THE BAND, THE BLOKE WHO SHARED STU'S VAN WITH THEM, THE BLOKE WHO WAS THERE FROM 1962, THE BLOKE WHO'S ARCHIVES HAVE BEEN INVALUABLE IN PROVIDING US GREAT RELEASES/INFO OVER THE PAST DECADE..THE BLOKE WHO WAS A KEY PART OF THE STONES SOUND..THE BLOKE WHO WANTED TO CELEBRATE THE 50TH SHOWS BY PLAYING FOR MORE THAN 8 MINUTES...It's not really hard to figure what he wanted Mick.

I know I'll get slapped down by Bill bashers but hey like or not YOU LOVE the music which he contributed to....

Right on Rollin92! I'm real surprised that this was not all worked out a few weeks in advance on what songs he would play on. Would Bill really remember the whole catalog of songs if he was to do a whole concert without proper rehearsals? Anyway, if anything was to happen to Darryl Jones before or during this next tour, you-know-who would probably be getting a call from you-know-who...

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1660
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home