Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Confirmation of what I always suspected - Mick is here
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 12, 2013 08:55

'...Meanwhile, Mick Jagger has bewailed how audiences look ‘glumly’ at him when he is not belting out one of the band's hits.

He admitted to trawling internet message boards seeing demands for the classics and that he does ‘worry a lot’ about not making everyone happy.

After the gig Jagger then goes back on the the web to see the reaction - which tends to be negative unless the fans' favourite song was played.'

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Re: Confirmation of what I always suspected - Mick is here
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 12, 2013 09:32

OK, so who is/are Mick's favorite poster(s) here on IORR? We need the complete list in order of most to least favorite, plus his own user name(s).

I suppose it is possible--Phelge is on here, after all....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 02:40 by stonehearted.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 12, 2013 09:57

You just beat me to the punch and posted this article. :-)

Date: April 12, 2013 10:08

JamesPhelge is not Mick - in fact, he is James Phelge.

SanQ, you should delete your post as bv does not like double posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-12 10:17 by Bliss.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 12, 2013 11:31

I've never seen Mick and StonesTod in the same thread.

Hmmm..

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 12, 2013 11:45

I reckon he was that MightyTrolling50 person or whatever his name was. I'm sure Mick would like a laugh.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 12, 2013 12:37

I wonder if Mick read my blog on Charlie on the Guardian ? Nah, wishful thinking.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 12, 2013 12:55

Play the Ziggodome Amsterdam Mick !!

Please !!!

Jeroen

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 12, 2013 13:00

corriecas

Please !!!

Jeroen

There must be something really special about that place... eye rolling smiley
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 12, 2013 13:29

tomcasagranda
I wonder if Mick read my blog on Charlie on the Guardian ? Nah, wishful thinking.

I want to read it Tom. Can you post the link?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 12, 2013 14:05

I always took that to mean he looks or gets reports from Twitter or Facebook.

Date: April 12, 2013 14:41

erikjjf
corriecas

Please !!!

Jeroen

There must be something really special about that place... eye rolling smiley
[www.iorr.org]

Nice to notice you follow me around.
Jeroen

Date: April 12, 2013 14:43

terraplane
I reckon he was that MightyTrolling50 person or whatever his name was. I'm sure Mick would like a laugh.

I think you're right - plus his alter egos, Stonescrow and TheWatchman. So Mick has been banned three times from a RS board for being an obnoxious troll.

Posted by: Dannyboy ()
Date: April 12, 2013 14:50

Well if he does read this, I just hope he decides they'll play Let it Loose at Hyde Park #1

Date: April 12, 2013 15:04

Bliss
terraplane

I think you're right - plus his alter egos, Stonescrow and TheWatchman. So Mick has been banned three times from a RS board for being an obnoxious troll.

or the Texan StonesTod, or whatever.
Guess the stones are waiting in the rehearsal room till Mick has finished reading the IORR posts.
Jeroen

Date: April 12, 2013 15:18

proudmary
tomcasagranda

I want to read it Tom. Can you post the link?

tomcasagranda
04 April 2013 9:04pm
Recommend
What a wonderful chap "Mr Wang Dang Doodle" (Mick Jagger's words on Shine A Light) is. He also did an amazing homage to jazz drummers such as Elvin Jones, Max Roach, and Tony Williams, on his album with Jim Keltner. He also turns up on the Weird Nightmare album, with Keith Richards on Oh Lord ! Don't Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb On Me, and with the Stones Voodoo Lounge era horn-section, the Uptown Horns, on Tonight At Noon. Charlie really knows his jazz.
For all the primal nature of their music, the Stones, as men, are aesthetic gentlemen. Ronnie with his art-work and knowledge of art, even influencing Jeff Beck to place Le Chambre d'ecoute by Magritte on the cover of Beck Ola , Keith and his library with a Da Vinci edition, and Ancient Rome, and World War II, Bill with his Chagall, and Mick's interest in books, art, current music, and the Enigma film. There's this wonderful contrast between these aesthetes and the music that influenced them, i.e. what came from Chess, Excello, Sun, Arhoolie, record labels. It is probably what gives them that certain feeling of culture versus chaos.I would add that Keith even listens to classical music, and to Segovia's flamenco music, which explains that amazing solo on Almost Hear You Sigh
Keith also enjoys Ray Charles as much as Charlie, but I think Keith said, on the demise of Ray, that while he and Mick loved the Atlantic material, Charlie was enjoying the Genius + Soul = Jazz album on Impulse, which Ray did in 1961. Ultimately, they, the Stones, are a blues and jazz band filtered through a rock sensibility.
I also like the fact that Charlie appreciates Graham Greene, and the comedy of Wodehouse, and the wonder of early 20th Century fiction. I wonder if he's got any first editions of Orwell in his library, but we'll never know that ? I wonder, too, if he ever thinks of any Wodehouse caricatures when he's with his bandmates in The Stones ?
By the way, he's also correct in that the Mick Taylor era was the best era of the Stones, and that extends to Goats Head Soup, and It's Only Rock n Roll albums. I bet Charlie's jazz sensibilities were appreciative of Time Waits For No One, Taylor's swan song. Certainly, he kept up the pace as the best rock/jazz drummer on 1973's Brussels Affair, which should, I hasten to add, be issued on CD, in conjunction with the other Stones archive material, to highlight what an excellent live act they are, and continue to be.
I am disappointed that the two principals, Mick and Keith, are not creating a new album, as there's always something of merit on even the worst Stones album, but you can't always get what you want.
Share this comment on Twitter
Share this comment on Facebook
Guardian contributor
jonwilde
05 April 2013 12:25am
Recommend
@tomcasagranda - Must say, one of the greatest posts I've ever read. Brought a tear to my eye. Full marks.

tomcasagranda
05 April 2013 7:39am
Recommend
@jonwilde -
Thank you.

GordontheMoron
05 April 2013 8:53am
Recommend
@tomcasagranda - The Brussels Affair is excellent, by far the best Stones live album, pity it's not the full concert

Gogoh
05 April 2013 2:11pm
Recommend
@jonwilde - Hear hear - great post.

Date: April 12, 2013 15:21

Proudmary - my email is tomcasagranda@yahoo.co.uk

You can send me an email, and I'll send you a better version.

Tom

PS: I don't believe for a minute that you're Mick, but then you could be ??

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 12, 2013 16:12

Back before No Security, right after BTB, I remember posting my own fan setlist here, on Jagger's site and Shidoobee. I received an email claiming to be from Ronnie Wood saying 'nice song choices, we'll see what we can do', something along those lines. I tried replying to it but it was a one was street. Ofcourse I can't tell you with 100% confidence that it was really Ronnie Wood, but they DID play Route 66, Get Off My Cloud, Respectable, Midnight Rambler and Whip FREQUENTLY on No Security... Star Star did not make it in!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 12, 2013 16:18

Mick, no need to worry, the majority of us appreciate what you are doing. We all have our favorite songs including you. Perhaps instead of being concerned about knocking the audience dead on every number you guys should think about setting a mood from time to time. If the audience is not jumping around does that really mean you're not reaching them? I think not but you know better. Still there are many great ballads we haven't heard in a while, the one per show is a silly rule. Songs like Angie could be played in the last half hour and would bring the house down. Thanks for listening to your fan base and bringing back Mick Taylor, of course we have a million suggestions here but beyond all that enjoy every moment with your mates. Soak in the great love and admiration you have earned, it's clear this is a time of great enlightenment for you and the band. The Rolling Stones are on the cusp of writing and recording some great music if you can capture this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-12 16:19 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 12, 2013 17:06

Top notch reporting by the Daily Mail. Like their recent (non) story about Keith's paunch, they're several years late about his dental work - and laughably suggest he's had it done ahead of the Hyde Park shows.

Look for them to break the news that he's gone grey next.

And those Mick comments were lifted from USA Today.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 12, 2013 17:14

Don't fret Michael...use the 1981 tour as a template and you can't lose...you were never better before or after...

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 12, 2013 17:19

Hey Mick - can you guys come to Atlanta? ?? Ill settle for anywhere in driving distance of ATL!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: April 12, 2013 17:20

Here is an idea MicK; Have a show with an acoustic type feel to it with a little different sound. "Let's Spend the Night together on "Stripped Companion" bootleg is an example of a classic redone in a great/ fresh way. make the setlists less predictable. Do, at least an acoustic set of 3-4 songs in the middle of the show- songs like Angie, Wild Horses, Memory Motel,Waiting on A Friend, etc. would be great to hear in that context. Eliminate the tired "woo-hoo of SFTD, Start Me up needs to go, Miss You as well. we know that certain warhorses will always be played but change which warhorses are played at shows... Do a 2 part show- first set 45 minutes- 1 hour. Second set another 1 fifteen minutes. Take a chance.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 12, 2013 17:23

Here's a suggestion Mick, imagine yourself as fan (a huge fan of course).....and you're on your way to a show........What would you like to hear the Stones play?..........go from there

Date: April 12, 2013 17:28

Play the tattoo album Mick, add sister Morphine,Fingerprint File, Fancyman blues.

and to f.. some people here up Play at the ziggodome amsterdam !!!

jeroen

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 12, 2013 17:28

Mick!!!

Play Fortune Teller.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 12, 2013 17:30

DoomandGloom
Mick, no need to worry, the majority of us appreciate what you are doing. We all have our favorite songs including you. Perhaps instead of being concerned about knocking the audience dead on every number you guys should think about setting a mood from time to time. If the audience is not jumping around does that really mean you're not reaching them? I think not but you know better. Still there are many great ballads we haven't heard in a while, the one per show is a silly rule. Songs like Angie could be played in the last half hour and would bring the house down. Thanks for listening to your fan base and bringing back Mick Taylor, of course we have a million suggestions here but beyond all that enjoy every moment with your mates. Soak in the great love and admiration you have earned, it's clear this is a time of great enlightenment for you and the band. The Rolling Stones are on the cusp of writing and recording some great music if you can capture this.

thumbs up Great post,D&G

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 12, 2013 17:42

Beware! Mick is watching!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 12, 2013 17:49

We all know why they do stuff like Sway and Shine A Light...

The Rolling Stones 2005 Tour wish list
Songs the fans want to hear live

[www.iorr.org]

and then the news entry from that tour:

Sep. 25: Sway in Columbus last night
The Stones finally made the IORR wish list come through last night as they made the debut of "Sway". The show opener was "Brown Sugar", and they also did "Mr. Pitiful" for the first time on this tour, not counting the Toronto club show. See the IORR Columbus reviews for details.

[www.iorr.org]

Right?

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-12 17:54 by bv.

Date: April 12, 2013 18:03

Hey Mick, what about a Brixton Academy or Sheppherds Bush for the old farts pre Hyde Park. Give the tickets to BV to distribute at face value. I am sure he will work out a fair way of distribution. What say ya cock?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1308
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home