Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: What exactly is the most embarassing thing...
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 25, 2013 05:44

brownsugar86
Hiring models for the front row for the Beacon show - Shine A Light
I think that's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing. I thought it looked kind of contrived, but then I thought "I'd rather look at those models than at fans like on the cover of NO SECURITY."

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 25, 2013 07:21

duke richardson
airbrushing Bill is up there..

That gets my vote, it was the first thing that came to mind.

But you know, there was one precedent: the heads on the LIB label (on the cover, not the record). They're all from a photo taken w/Brian, but his head is replaced by Taylor.

That kinda made sense though; the RARITIES thing is inexcusable.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 25, 2013 12:37

Shade
I can't remember which CD they released that was supposed to have a multimedia component on it but I know that it wouldn't work on Windows or Mac. Definitely worth a blush.

Wasn't there also a VL game or something like that? I remember seeing them in low discount stores selling for $1.99. That's got to make you feel silly.

I still haven't seen Live at the Max because I don't have an 8,000 square foot television to play the letter box DVD or whatever format it's in presently. Way to reach your fan base.

The original Stripped had a multimedia component that was very difficult to access. The Voodoo Lounge CD-ROM didn't really do anything and was generally pretty lousy. But Live at the Max on DVD/blu-ray works just fine on any widescreen (16:9) TV.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 25, 2013 14:43

Drew

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 25, 2013 15:11

Rice Crispies spring to mind; even as far back as 1963/64 it shows an overt commerciality.

However, even Sandy Denny and Linda Thompson, great folk rock singers, sang jingles.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 25, 2013 15:50

Talk about VENOM!! GEEE! Where do I begin? Well, Ok, I'll start with Altamont. It's great for critics to be Monday morning quarterback, telling the Stones what they SHOULD have done but the truth is it was simply a horrible mistake. The entire event was just bad from hiring the Hell's Angels to the location but they are human, and shit happens. The rehashing of Altamont is nonsense!
The opening show of the '81 Tour in Philly: no one booed the Stones that I heard and I was right in the front. It was a gorgeous warm day, the fans were more mellow than in '78 FOR SURE, the Stones messed up a couple of times but it was far from a nightmare!!
Doxa, I'm surprised that you're dissing the 50th Anniversary shows. I think that they have nothing to be embarrassed about. They've not sounded that great musically in YEARS. The only thing I find off-putting is the price of tickets, and I have said that repeatedly. I also think that fans are way too rough on MT. Give the guy a break and stop trying to rain on the guys' few moments of joy. It was obvious that he had fun at the London shows. Why wouldn't true fans be happy for him, especially after the shit he's been through with the Stones?? Yes, HE quit but we all know he should have been paid more in royalties etc. If anything, he should have been allowed to play MORE songs with them. Why not CYHMK?? There are about ten songs he could have been showcased on. Frankly, I am pissed that he wasn't at my Brooklyn show!
The only other thing I wish they could change was Mick licking Ronnie on SNL in '78. That whole show could be erased and I'd be glad. I was teased about that endlessly....like I had anything to do with it.
For a band that's been around that long, we're lucky there have only been a few blemishes...we should be glad they're STILL a PERFORMING BAND and that we can still see them in concert. End of rant!cool smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 25, 2013 16:24

Big Al
Blue
Dancin' in the Street with David Bowie...Wow was it horrid (one Stone only thankfully)

I always thought of it as being tongue-in-cheek, a bit of a piss-take. It's gloriously camp in the extreme and Jagger and Bowie revel in it.

I agree, good fun..........

but.....What exactly is the most embarassing thing the Stones have ever done?.........2012 ticket prices..........my friends said "huh, Street fighting men? my arse, Keith should have gone the whole hog and taken a Knighthood too"........(not offered of course but I knew what they meant........

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-25 20:08 by EddieByword.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 25, 2013 17:10

owlbynite
NoCode0680
stonehearted
NoCode0680
tatters
NoCode0680
I'd have to say Altamont. It's not embarrassing in the traditional "my fly was open" sense, but they tried to recreate the peace and love of Woodstock and wound up with hate, violence and death. A failure of that proportion must have been very embarrassing, though they were probably a little too bummed over what happened to be embarrassed about it.

Altamont didn't go the way they had intended, and they probably considered it to be a fiasco at the time, but I'm sure that as soon as they saw the movie, they realized it was the best thing that ever happened to them. It cemented their "legendary" status forever.

It's personally never been part of their legendary status with me. The Stones always came out looking like buffoons in my eyes. They seem cool in concert and during all the build up, but Altamont always made them (or mainly Mick as he was the mouthpiece talking about Altamont during press conferences) look pretty foolish. Mick never comes across as a "true believer" in all the peace and love stuff, like he's just trying to hitch the Stones to the Woodstock bandwagon, and it goes horribly wrong, with the band losing total control over the situation they had created. I know for some Altamont adds to the whole "danger" element of The Stones, but to me they just look powerless and like they can't control their own creation.

As epitomized, in hilarious fashion, by the appearance of "the Altamont dog"....

He was just looking for his owner...

wonder if karma caught up with them at Altamont.....

I think karma was working in 'real time' if you actually look at that photo/video footage!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 25, 2013 17:25

More Hot Rocks will answer this question. And all of is will agree, no?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 25, 2013 18:40

Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks will answer this question. And all of is will agree, no?

at least he picked the cherries and not the ยด78 tour...

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 25, 2013 20:41

It's Only Satisfaction, Philadelphia 05

When The Whip Gets Respectable MSG 98

No Security Album cover freeks

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: March 25, 2013 21:05

deardoctortake1
It's Only Satisfaction, Philadelphia 05

When The Whip Gets Respectable MSG 98

No Security Album cover freeks

OMG, THAT 05 PHILLY FUCKUP WAS LEGENDARY.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 25, 2013 22:36

I have the Philly '05 show...can someone please remind me of the fuckup? I dont recall....

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: March 26, 2013 13:15

Everything post seventies really except some of Tattoo You.

Posted by: Nats ()
Date: March 26, 2013 13:29

The album cover for Dirty Work.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 26, 2013 13:31

That they tried to turn into a pop group in 66 and 67, Their Satanic Majesties Request and partly the big band sound with plink plonk Chuck in the post 89 era.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: March 26, 2013 13:52

vertigojoe
89-13

Well, you have certainly missed out on a lot of good Stones songs. I'm happy I haven't. I really enjoy lots of the tunes they've made in this period, including Doom And Gloom and One More Shot. I just hope there will be more to come.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: March 26, 2013 14:13

Exactly the most embarassing thing ? ..... I mean it's not a thing....

It's the whiners and nosayers and all those people calling it dead since what ever time they mention.

We can always laugh or even cry about the past as the experience may have told us different. But on that day and on that hour it was mostlikely fantastic what ever the Stones or you did, because it felt right for that time.

A band celebrating 50 years in different styles and setups is not embarassing even if ticketprices are nuts. It's the only Rock and Roll band that never kept a secret that Streetfighing Man was a capitalist. But you didn't want to hear it even not today and that makes you embarassing. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 26, 2013 15:10

uhbuhgullayew
Inviting Dave Matthews to guest on Memory Motel & then putting it on the live album.

Not so embarrassing as just plain stupid and awful.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 26, 2013 15:14

Shade
I can't remember which CD they released that was supposed to have a multimedia component on it but I know that it wouldn't work on Windows or Mac. Definitely worth a blush.

Wasn't there also a VL game or something like that? I remember seeing them in low discount stores selling for $1.99. That's got to make you feel silly.

I still haven't seen Live at the Max because I don't have an 8,000 square foot television to play the letter box DVD or whatever format it's in presently. Way to reach your fan base.

Yeah, I think it was Stripped. Could never get the computer stuff to work.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 26, 2013 15:15

Grison

It's the whiners and nosayers and all those people calling it dead since what ever time they mention.

We can always laugh or even cry about the past as the experience may have told us different. But on that day and on that hour it was mostlikely fantastic what ever the Stones or you did, because it felt right for that time.

A band celebrating 50 years in different styles and setups is not embarassing even if ticketprices are nuts. It's the only Rock and Roll band that never kept a secret that Streetfighing Man was a capitalist. But you didn't want to hear it even not today and that makes you embarassing. tongue sticking out smiley

I guess most intelligent people know that the capitalists and bankers that are currently gauging this planet beyond repair and rendering the other defenceless inhabitants either homeless or at worst extinct have the biggests street gangs in the world to protect their avaricious endeavours but those are not the "street fighting" men Mick was talking about in the song, on the contary he was talking about the people who were opposing those mindless grunts...........smoking smiley

Date: March 26, 2013 15:17

Jagger tonguing Ronnie on SNL 78
Cover of Metamorphosis
"Back To Zero"
"Cherry Oh Baby"

Date: March 26, 2013 15:19

EddieByword
Grison

I guess most intelligent people know that the capitalists and bankers that are currently gauging this planet beyond repair and rendering the other defenceless inhabitants either homeless or at worst extinct have the biggests street gangs in the world to protect their avaricious endeavours but those are not the "street fighting" men Mick was talking about in the song, on the contary he was talking about the people who were opposing those mindless grunts...........smoking smiley

True thumbs up, but unfortunately not the end of the story eye rolling smiley

Date: March 26, 2013 15:22

lol........rolling eyes are lost on me......I guess unless there's an extinction event tonight you might be right........but where's the story going? wise up or melt down?

Date: March 26, 2013 15:46

EddieByword
lol........rolling eyes are lost on me......I guess unless there's an extinction event tonight you might be right........but where's the story going? wise up or melt down?
Well the Story began with Streetfighing Man, but ended harshly by It's Only Rock And Roll. That's the melt down of peace and love and muchroom dreams.
Still good enough to Start Me UP and take the swamp in Doom And Gloom smoking smiley

See you 50 years and counting. By the way: I'm counting smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 26, 2013 15:50

Grison
EddieByword
Well the Story began with Streetfighing Man, but ended harshly by It's Only Rock And Roll. That's the melt down of peace and love and muchroom dreams.
Still good enough to Start Me UP and take the swamp in Doom And Gloom smoking smiley

You can save yourself some counting by just paying by Visa or MasterCard for your tickets.

Date: March 26, 2013 16:01

treaclefingers

You can save yourself some counting by just paying by Visa or MasterCard for your tickets.
Don't you get VIP tickets with American Express??? smiling bouncing smiley

Date: March 26, 2013 16:04

Grison
EddieByword

Don't talk to me about them........last time I did them, many, many. many moons ago, got chased across a field by a bull at dawn...........grinning smiley........I'm not kidding, luckily I was 'supercharged' and only 21 and had a big headstart.....eye popping smiley.....smileys with beer

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 26, 2013 16:58

lettingitbleed
I have the Philly '05 show...can someone please remind me of the fuckup? I dont recall....

The band was playing IORR for the encore, Mick was singing Satisfaction. I was shocked. They finally all grooved into Satisfaction. Don't recall what was on the set list. Mick I'm sure couldn't hear the music exactly, that was the loudest Stones concert I ever attended, good mix but way too loud.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 26, 2013 17:09

deardoctortake1
lettingitbleed

The band was playing IORR for the encore, Mick was singing Satisfaction. I was shocked. They finally all grooved into Satisfaction. .

that's not embarrassing! that takes talent and years of practice to pull off.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2069
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home