Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Ian Hunter at the Sale Waterside Arts Centre, Tuesday 19th March 2013
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 20, 2013 13:34

Hello,

Not my first time seeing IH, I am happy to say and yet again he showed about 300 punters why he remains a class act.
He has such a natural way about him and is happy to address folk who wander in and out to either get more or get rid of beers, as well as introducing a few songs but often he runs almost straight into the next number- not in a 'let's get this over with' fashion though.

There were two moving moments, one of which was to be expected with his tribute to Mick Ronson ('Michael Picasso') but the other was the 'anti-gun' number, 'Now Is The Time'. IH introduced this by saying that he moved away from the UK in 1975 to Connecticut, in fact just around the corner from where 20 kids were killed...

IH shared the stage with guitarist Andy York (Ian’s producer and guitarist for John Mellencamp) and "...the finest bass player in Nashville...", David Roe. All the while Hunter chugs and strums on his acoustic while Andy embellishes the song and also singing. Some talented folk around!

If this bunch were playing near me tonight then I'd be there: simple as.

Over to you Iain!

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T Ian Hunter at the Sale Waterside Arts Centre, Tuesday 19th March 2013
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 20, 2013 14:54

Thanks for great pictures and video.thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 20, 2013 15:23

Great photos. Think you've moved up a notch in the photographer stakes Simon. I love his latest album When I'm President - probably my fave album of last year.

Date: March 20, 2013 16:50

Hi Mike & Toru,
Makes life easy when you are allowed to bring artillery in, haha!
Great LP indeed.
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 20, 2013 19:33

Silver Dagger
Great photos...I love his latest album When I'm President - probably my fave album of last year.

agreed and mine too.

Looking forward to seeing him next week.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 20, 2013 19:55

Great stuff, Simon! Ian rules and yes, the new album is great.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 21, 2013 03:03

He puts on an amazing show and I had the priviledge to see him with Mick Ronson shortly before Mick passed in a small club that held about 500 people. Mick Jones's Fire and Gasoline band opened.

One of my top 5 shows of alltime.

Sadly I missed his show here Boston recently due to a prior committment.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 21, 2013 08:02

Ian rocks. Love the guy.

Met him in 1980 in LA at the Roxy where he had just performed one of two shows that night.The "Welcome to the Club"CD was recorded on this tour. Took a leak standing right next to him and then he left.I said nothing.Passed on shaking his hand for obvious resons.

When he re-enterd the venue at the side door for his second show,I shook his hand and then my super cute GF shook his hand and asked him if she could see him without his sunglasses. He took them off for her smiled and said "there ya go love" with a great big smile. A great rock and roll moment and having a sexy GF paid dividends this night!

30 seconds later, we met Cher and and Les Dudek as they were walking in. They were both very cool. Cherlooked super hot dressed completely in black.

Oh yeah, the concert was phenominal sitting in the front row in a small club. Mick Ronson on guitar. Need I say more?

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 08:16

great wrirer,performer,class act.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 21, 2013 11:44

Thanks for this, Simon. Great shots - different camera? Glad it was such a good gig.

Looking forward to seeing him in Kinross on Saturday - venue seats about 130 and we're booked in for an overnight, so we'll be able to enjoy a small refreshment or two.

Ian is always a class act. First saw him in 75 with Mick Ronson, but the gig I saw in Glasgow a few months back was every bit as good in its own way. Great show and he's got a massive back catalogue to delve into. The new album is a stonker and I listen to it a lot.

Great pictures and thanks for the setlist - my heart's all a-flutter. Wonder if he'll do The Flying Scotsman in Scotland?

Will let you know how it goes.

Iain

Date: March 21, 2013 11:55

Hi Iain,

You know that you're nailed-on to have a great show: it sometimes amazes me that artists like IH still get a kick out of getting up there, even after a ton of gigs but he still manages to keep it fresh for himself (and us too) somehow.

On a side note, I get a kick out of reading about other IORRians concert going history (see Midnight Toker's tale above...btw, any photos of your ex? Just asking in the name of research, ahem...) and it never fails to fascinate me when I hear about both the good and occasionally the not so good.

Not much more to add really...quality songs and many of them to choose from, an adoring audience, great players either side of him. Like I said, nailed-on, hah-hah! Have a good one!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 21, 2013 12:09

SimonN
Hi Iain,

You know that you're nailed-on to have a great show: it sometimes amazes me that artists like IH still get a kick out of getting up there, even after a ton of gigs but he still manages to keep it fresh for himself (and us too) somehow.

On a side note, I get a kick out of reading about other IORRians concert going history (see Midnight Toker's tale above...btw, any photos of your ex? Just asking in the name of research, ahem...) and it never fails to fascinate me when I hear about both the good and occasionally the not so good.

Not much more to add really...quality songs and many of them to choose from, an adoring audience, great players either side of him. Like I said, nailed-on, hah-hah! Have a good one!

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks Simon. Looking forward to a real treat! Will post comments here afterwards.

Cheers

Iain

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home