Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How much footage from the 1981 Tattoo You tour exists?
Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 06:24

We all know that there were 4 nights filmed for Let's Spend the Night Together. Tempe and all 3 Meadowlands. And of course we know of Hampton too. Anything I'm missing?

Re: How much footage from the 1981 Tattoo You tour exists?
Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 21, 2013 08:24

Seattle? Think I have an old VHS boot of that one somewhere.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: February 21, 2013 08:39

i think they filmed allmost every show,thats how we got so many mono soundboards.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:38

I recall seeing video footage from the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York, for the evening news report on the concert, and it looked professionally filmed with good sound. Whether it was just filmed by the news crew or was a professional set-up hired by The Stones is anyone's guess.

These days every show is filmed because live footage needs to be fed to the video monitors atop the stage, but in 1981 they didn't have these monitors, so there would not have been a need to have a film crew around for every show. At that point, their stadium presentation had not yet fully evolved for visuals.

You would think that after more than 30 years this footage would have surfaced by now, if it indeed exists.

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:45

both Seattle shows and 10.28. Astro Dome, Texas are in circulation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-21 11:04 by AllAboutYours.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:51

stonehearted

These days every show is filmed because live footage needs to be fed to the video monitors atop the stage, but in 1981 they didn't have these monitors, so there would not have been a need to have a film crew around for every show. At that point, their stadium presentation had not yet fully evolved for visuals.

All the big outdoor shows had a video screen above te stage in '81 and 82.

Mathijs

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 13:24

Mathijs

Mathijs

They did? I was at a stadium gig and there was no video screen. All the footage I've seen from other outdoor shows doesn't show any screen above the stage. As far as I know, Steel Wheels in '89 was the first time the Stones used video screens.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 21, 2013 13:38

can anybody help me out with a dvd copy of hampton 81 ?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 21, 2013 13:55

stonesdan60
Mathijs

Mathijs

They did? I was at a stadium gig and there was no video screen. All the footage I've seen from other outdoor shows doesn't show any screen above the stage. As far as I know, Steel Wheels in '89 was the first time the Stones used video screens.

They did have one in various outdoor stadiums, I believe Seattle, Dallas, Houston, Chicago for sure. It was normally switched on after the first 4 or 5 tracks, and Jagger would sometimes make a comment about it.

Mathijs

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 21, 2013 16:31

Mathijs
stonehearted

Mathijs

Not in Orlando.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 21, 2013 16:36

Mathijs

Mathijs

Not true

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: February 21, 2013 16:45

Not in Philadelphia....

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 21, 2013 16:50

not in Cologne as well...

Posted by: marko ()
Date: February 21, 2013 19:22

In Pontiac it was,and in London i think,same with Leeds,maybe Syracuse as well.I think they were testing it whenever they felt it was nessecary.?

Posted by: django ()
Date: February 21, 2013 19:48

Mathijs
stonehearted

Mathijs

No video screen in Munich (unfortunately!).

Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: February 21, 2013 19:50

Perhaps they just utilized a stadium's existing Jumbotron, as we called them back in the day, when available? It was still a reasonably new technology then. That was certainly the case for other stadium shows of that era in Massachusetts - the old Schaefer/Sullivan stadium.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 21, 2013 19:59

schillid
Mathijs

Mathijs

Not true

i was at this show ,do not remember video screens for jfk stadium and i was also at the syracuse carrier dome show in november in 81 and also do not recall video screens there also.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 21, 2013 20:52

marko
i think they filmed allmost every show,thats how we got so many mono soundboards.

You are quite right. I was virtually "flogged" by some of the "masters" here when I suggested that is where the majority of the 81/82 boards came from(along with many of the 89 videos and boards) a few years back. I especially was dressed down for suggesting the "Dead Man Cumming" rehearsals were from videos until the infamous "bits and pieces" video appeared of one of the tapes a few months ago. I KNEW this to be true because I had a copy of that for nearly the last decade but when I make a promise I make a promise....

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: February 21, 2013 20:58

In 81 the early outdoor shows had no video. The Carrier Dome shows in Syracuse had video and used the big outdoor stage, but the video did not come on until about the 5th song in the set (like the shows in December 2012). That's probably what happend elsewhere like Seattle. The arena shows never had any video.

HBK

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 21:14

about 30 min JFK Philly first show exists

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 21, 2013 21:18

Mathijs
stonehearted

Mathijs

not at Candlestick Park (San Fran)

plexi

Date: February 22, 2013 14:38

Is this the videoscreen, behind the balloons?

Leeds, Roundhay Park, 1982

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-22 14:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: February 22, 2013 15:58

Dallas was filmed. Check out how bizarre opening with Under My Thumb. Timing is WAY off. Mick comes on stage to Duke Ellington.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-22 15:59 by punkfloyd.

Date: February 22, 2013 16:35

The video screen zoomed in:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-22 16:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: February 23, 2013 09:03

The Seattle show in 1981 was indoors at the Kingdome. No video screen of any size that I remember just the huge stage nobody was used to yet at that time, and you'd better have brought binoculars if you wanted to see them larger than ants from where we were sitting.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: February 23, 2013 10:21

rob51
The Seattle show in 1981 was indoors at the Kingdome. No video screen of any size that I remember just the huge stage nobody was used to yet at that time, and you'd better have brought binoculars if you wanted to see them larger than ants from where we were sitting.

Howdy,

A lot of us have been able to view the Seattle Kingdome Footage "Seattle Supersonic" is one version. Both nights were filmed and way above the stage above the second tier was a early 80's late 70's video screen. The Kingdome had an in house video system for the Seahawks/Mariners and Supersonic's games. It's clearly visible in the footage when they turn on the lights.

Along with the Forum, Summit, Capitol Centre and Spectrum in Philly who all had camera systems

Thanks to the taxpayers of those cities, bless 'em

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-23 13:20 by SKILLS.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 4, 2013 23:49

I didn't wanted to start a new thread, so I'm posting here a video with the full concert of Houston, from the 1981 tour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home