Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
20 YEARS AGO: MICK JAGGER’S ‘WANDERING SPIRIT’ RELEASED
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 11, 2013 15:28

20 YEARS AGO: MICK JAGGER’S ‘WANDERING SPIRIT’ RELEASED
by Matthew Wilkening Yesterday
It took him three tries, but on Feb. 8, 1993 Mick Jagger finally released a solo album Rolling Stones fans could fully get behind: ‘Wandering Spirit.’

On his previous two efforts — 1985?s ‘She’s the Boss’ and 1987?s ‘Primitive Cool’ — Jagger was seemingly too concerned with reaching a wider, pop-loving audience. Perhaps this was to prove he didn’t need longtime Stones partner Keith Richards, with whom he was feuding with quite publicly at the time.

But after the pair mended fences to release 1989?s ‘Steel Wheels’ and mount a year-long Stones tour, Jagger was free to express himself without any such pressure. As he put it, “I was very relaxed about this record. No overall atmosphere of hostility. The rest of the Stones had all made solo LP’s. Charlie (Watts) made his Charlie Parker album. Keith made his second solo album and Ronnie (Wood) made a record. Even Bill (Wyman) made a record. In the process of writing my record there were a couple of songs where I said, ‘That’s going to sound great with the Stones,’ so I won’t use it.”

Although ‘Wandering Spirit’ thankfully sees Jagger abandoning the slick keyboard-tinged sounds of his previous records for a raw, guitar-based palette, he doesn’t consider it a straight-up rock album: “If you look at it, there are only maybe three rock songs on it in the traditional form. The rest is R&B, or country, or gospel influenced, or rockabilly, or whatever.”

Indeed, the album showcases Jagger’s abilities in those genres quite nicely, from the covers of R&B classics such as Bill Withers’ ‘Use Me’ and ‘Think’ (made famous by James Brown) to the country-leaning ‘Hang On to Me Tonight’ and the gospel-inspired chorus of the title track. It also finds him stubbornly (and quite successfully) sticking to his love of dance-rock with the album’s lead single, ‘Sweet Thing.’

The only way the album could be considered a failure was if Jagger’s primary goal was to once again avoid clashing with his lead collaborator, in this case producer Rick Rubin. The pair apparently bumped heads more than once during the recording process. As Rubin told the Los Angeles Times, “At one point while we were making the record, Mick pulled me out of the control room and talked to me in the hallway… one of the things he told me in that conversation was I was worse than Keith (Richards). I took that as a compliment. That was the nature of the relationship, and I definitely think good things came out of it.”

Interestingly, there was reportedly another, completely different album created during this time period. Jagger recorded 13 tracks of rough-hewn blues classics with a group known as the Red Devils in a marathon one-day recording session in May 1992. So far only one song from those sessions, ‘Checking Up On My Baby,’ was released, as part of Jagger’s 2007 ‘The Very Best of…” collection.

As recently as 1997, Rubin was still lobbying publicly for the full record, apparently named ‘King King,’ to be released: “It’s incredible, (but) it’s up to Mick. He’s the artist… he gets to do what he wants to do. But it’s great, and I hope it comes out.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-11 15:29 by proudmary.

Re: 20 YEARS AGO: MICK JAGGER’S ‘WANDERING SPIRIT’ RELEASED
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 11, 2013 15:30

Odd Couple Mick and Rick Finish Album
[articles.latimes.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 11, 2013 15:49

Rubin whipped Jagger's ass and was the (only?) one who got a good solo album out of him.
Alas we'll never see a Stones record produced by RR...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:18

I wonder why the Red Devils album hasn't made an appearance after all these years?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:19

Seriously - wow, that just made me sad. It seems like yesterday.

Date: February 11, 2013 16:43

treaclefingers
I wonder why the Red Devils album hasn't made an appearance after all these years?

Maybe Mick's greatest hits, with Checking Up On My Baby, didn't sell that well?...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:44

CindyC

what's so sad about yesterday?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:45

T&A
CindyC

all her troubles seemed so far away but not it looks as though they're here to stay.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:47

This was a fantastic Mick lp...I loved and love it.
Whew...that felt good

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:47

There was an excellent b-side only track released at this time (on Don't Tear Me UP CD single) : Everybody Knows About My Good Thing

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:48

And it's not even on iTunes.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 11, 2013 16:49

Munichhilton
Whew...that felt good

it's probably not as good as i think it is....otherwise i prolly would have played it at least once in the past 10 years. maybe as i age and mature i tend to favor poorer records.

Date: February 11, 2013 16:50

T&A
Munichhilton
Whew...that felt good

it's probably not as good as i think it is....otherwise i prolly would have played it at least once in the past 10 years. maybe as i age and mature i tend to favor poorer records.

Well you do enjoy "slowhand"...

Go and play Put Me In The Trash...it's a good tune that reminds me of Whole Foods

Date: February 11, 2013 17:01

Munichhilton
T&A
Munichhilton
Whew...that felt good

Go and play Put Me In The Trash...it's a good tune that reminds me of Whole Foods

put me in the trash serves not only as my choice for my own funeral music, but as a request for my final resting place itself.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 11, 2013 17:06

T&A
Munichhilton
T&A
Munichhilton
Whew...that felt good

put me in the trash serves not only as my choice for my own funeral music, but as a request for my final resting place itself.

trash is underrated. its where some of the best stuff is. so, good choice!

Date: February 11, 2013 17:07

T&A
Munichhilton
T&A
Munichhilton
Whew...that felt good

Damn, I had you pegged as a Runnin' Out Of Luck guy...I'll change your order

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 11, 2013 17:29

duke richardson
trash is underrated. its where some of the best stuff is.

Duke ?

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 11, 2013 17:50

T&A
Munichhilton
T&A
Munichhilton
Whew...that felt good

Date: February 11, 2013 17:55

treaclefingers
T&A
CindyC

all her troubles seemed so far away but not it looks as though they're here to stay.

you guys are funny!

I just remember it was a really fun time in my life, living in NYC, going to a lot of shows. A friend and I did a long trip in the South of France and Wandering Spirit was one of three cassettes we had with us. Great memories.

Twenty years just sounds so long ago, and it's weird that my memories of those times were as an adult. I feel like 20 years ago I should have been a teenager.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 11, 2013 17:55

Edith Grove
duke richardson
trash is underrated. its where some of the best stuff is.

Duke ?

OK can't view this with sound at the moment..but will asap..gotta be hilaritous..

grinning smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 11, 2013 18:05

One of the best records ever.

I remember losing faith in anything when we heard Sweet Thing for the first time:
"Modern dance bullshit! That´s the end of both Jagger and the Stones...!"

Then I bought the CD and didn´t open it until all my freaks were there.

And what to say: It blew us away. Wired All Night set the pace. Wow! I remember
I had to open the window (-5°C outside) to cool us down after Mother Of A Man,
Think an WANDERING SPIRIT.

What a fantastic record.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: February 11, 2013 18:19

yeah like it too very much even if I didn't listen to it for a long time.
I like Keith but his solo albums are far behind

Date: February 11, 2013 18:24

CindyC
treaclefingers
T&A
CindyC

you guys are funny!

I just remember it was a really fun time in my life, living in NYC, going to a lot of shows. A friend and I did a long trip in the South of France and Wandering Spirit was one of three cassettes we had with us. Great memories.

don't just leave us hangin' here - the other two cassettes were.....?

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: February 11, 2013 18:31

Terrific album. "Out Of Focus" and "Evening Gown" are classics in my book.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 11, 2013 18:32

CindyC

That was a very interesting time. U2 was still riding high from Achtung Baby, ZOO TV and Zooropa; there was the Nirvana/Soundgarden/Pearl Jam explosion still going; the Red Hot Chili Peppers had erupted; Stone Temple Pilots were the red headed step child getting beaten up while having big hits - a very vibrant time in rock music. GNR had basically disappeared - things were looking up. It wasn't too much longer though that that wave crashed - by 1996 it had mellowed out big time.

Atlantic Records must've felt it was good to take out a billboard ad hyping the LP!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 11, 2013 18:42

WOW 20 YEARS AGO. Really ?
How time can fly when you're having fun smiling smiley
I still like this album very much. Actually played it today without realising it is already 20 years old. Unbelievable.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 11, 2013 20:46

It's a fantastic album, irrespective of whoever it is.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 11, 2013 21:04

It most certainly is. It's better than anything else Mick has released as a solo artist, and better than anything the Stones have released from 1982-2012.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 11, 2013 21:13

Stripped?

Date: February 11, 2013 21:18

T&A
CindyC
treaclefingers
T&A
CindyC

you guys are funny!

don't just leave us hangin' here - the other two cassettes were.....?

Sorry - i'm such a cad!!! Emotional Rescue and Neneh Cherry's Homebrew.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home