Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 14
Track Talk: Moonlight Mile
Posted by: René ()
Date: February 11, 2013 10:47

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Moonlight Mile
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Rolling Stones Mobile Recording Unit, Stargroves, Newbury, Berkshire, UK &
Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, March - May 1970

Mick Jagger - vocals, acoustic guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Mick Taylor - electric guitar, electric slide guitar
Jim Price - piano
Paul Buckmaster - strings

When the wind blows and the rain feels cold
With a head full of snow, with a head full of snow
In the window there's a face you know
Don't the night pass slow, don't the night pass slow
Sound of strangers sending nothing to my mind
Just another mad, mad day on the road
I am just living to be lying by your side
But I'm just about a moonlight mile, on down the road

Made a rag pile of my shiny clothes
Gonna warm my bones, gonna warm my bones
I got silence on my radio
Let the air waves flow, let the air waves flow
For I am sleeping under strange, strange skies
Just another mad, mad day on the road
My dreams is fading down the railway line
I'm just about a moonlight mile, on down the road
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

I'm hiding, sister, and I'm dreamin'
I'm riding down your moonlight mile
I'm hiding, baby, and I'm dreamin', yeah
Let it go now, come on up, baby
Yeah, let it go now, yeah, come on now, baby, yeah, come on now, yeah
Say, yeah, I'm coming home
Cause I'm just about a moonlight mile, on down the road
On down the road, down the road, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby

Produced by Jimmy Miller

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Sticky Fingers” LP
(Rolling Stones Records COC 59100) UK, April 23, 1971

Re: Track Talk: Moonlight Mile
Date: February 11, 2013 10:52

One word: Beautiful thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 11, 2013 11:03

Incredible song that seemingly came out of nowhere. Perhaps even the most beautiful melody the Stones have ever composed - and Keith isn't even on it.

The image the song conjures up is of a reflectful Jagger musing over his fading love for Marianne and cursing the madness of the road and the rock'n'roll lifestyle. It's like a 20th rock'n'roll century version of a poem by one of the great English metaphysical poets - Andrew Marvel's To His Coy Mistress perhaps - lamenting a love that could have been.

Moonlight Mile probably started off as a simple folk melody, Jagger strumming the skeleton chords of the song and Mick Taylor helping him along at the all night session during which it was written.

The involvement of Paul Buckmaster to orchestrate it was a masterstroke and one that perhaps the band should have followed up, although he did also feature on Sway. He got the gig largely through his work with David Bowie on Space Oddity although he'd also worked with Miles Davis and on The Bee Gees' great Odessa album.

It's a very satisfying and special song and has a real completeness about it. For me personally it's one of those magic tunes that you put on in the wee small hours, you're up late and all alone and you don't want anything too noisy or rocky to break the early morning reverie. This song takes you out into a sonic dreamland. The Stones have managed it on a few other songs - Goat Head Soup's Coming Down Again and Can You Hear The Music and Heaven off Tattoo You but none as grand as this. Superb!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-11 11:57 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 11, 2013 11:12

“A dream song”, Mick said in 1978, and what a wrenching and heartbreaking dream. Moonlight Mile is perhaps the most ravishingly beautiful piece of music the Stones have ever recorded. Starting with those first quavering acoustic guitar notes, joined by the chimes of Jim Price’s piano and Mick’s soft falsetto, Moonlight Mile begins with the delicacy of a breath of wind, and slowly builds to an utterly devastating climax.

Mick himself has never sounded more direct, more open and sincere, than he does here, pouring his heart out with eerily zonked-out lyrics that are actually poetry of the highest order, brilliantly capturing the loneliness and desperation that anyone, even the most lauded rock star, may feel on the road. And Charlie’s drumming, with those echoing cymbal flourishes, deepens the sense of wonder and awe.

The way the song gradually builds is nothing short of miraculous. It so organic, man, like watching a small leaf catch fire and spread until the entire forest is engulfed in flames. A lot of the credit for this belongs to the great Paul Buckmaster, who knows precisely how to use orchestral stringed instruments that in lesser hands would sound bombastic, to create majestically soaring music. The cresting of these strings, together with Mick’s exhortations (… let it go now, yeah, come on up … flow now baby…) has brought this usually-stoic listener to tears of ecstatic release.

The climax, of course, is that searing last verse, with Mick defiantly howling that he’s coming home, cause he’s just about a moonlight mile on down the road. Absolutely electrifying. And after that, we are bathed in the warm afterglow of Mick Taylor’s shimmering electric guitar, Jim Price’s tinkling piano, and some wonderful additional orchestral flourishes from Paul Buckmaster.

A staggering work of genius that makes me glad to be alive and proud to be a Stones fan.

Drew

Date: February 11, 2013 11:35

One of their very best. Just lovely.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: February 11, 2013 11:37

One fantastic song on a fantastic album !

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 11, 2013 11:44

Absolutely sublime. Completely mesmerizing.
One of the highlights on "Crossfire Hurricane" for me was the instrumental or alternative version of this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-11 11:55 by RobberBride.

Date: February 11, 2013 11:46

drewmaster
“A dream song”, Mick said in 1978, and what a wrenching and heartbreaking dream. Moonlight Mile is perhaps the most ravishingly beautiful piece of music the Stones have ever recorded. Starting with those first quavering acoustic guitar notes, joined by the chimes of Jim Price’s piano and Mick’s soft falsetto, Moonlight Mile begins with the delicacy of a breath of wind, and slowly builds to an utterly devastating climax.

Mick himself has never sounded more direct, more open and sincere, than he does here, pouring his heart out with eerily zonked-out lyrics that are actually poetry of the highest order, brilliantly capturing the loneliness and desperation that anyone, even the most lauded rock star, may feel on the road. And Charlie’s drumming, with those echoing cymbal flourishes, deepens the sense of wonder and awe.

The way the song gradually builds is nothing short of miraculous. It so organic, man, like watching a small leaf catch fire and spread until the entire forest is engulfed in flames. A lot of the credit for this belongs to the great Paul Buckmaster, who knows precisely how to use orchestral stringed instruments that in lesser hands would sound bombastic, to create majestically soaring music. The cresting of these strings, together with Mick’s exhortations (… let it go now, yeah, come on up … flow now baby…) has brought this usually-stoic listener to tears of ecstatic release.

The climax, of course, is that searing last verse, with Mick defiantly howling that he’s coming home, cause he’s just about a moonlight mile on down the road. Absolutely electrifying. And after that, we are bathed in the warm afterglow of Mick Taylor’s shimmering electric guitar, Jim Price’s tinkling piano, and some wonderful additional orchestral flourishes from Paul Buckmaster.

A staggering work of genius that makes me glad to be alive and proud to be a Stones fan.

Drew

Wonderful description Drew. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-11 11:47 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 11, 2013 11:48

One of their greatest ballads ever.............

Date: February 11, 2013 11:55

Silver Dagger

Wonderful description Drew. thumbs up

Aww, thanks Mike! A song like Moonlight Mile deserves some thought, but I'm not sure I did it justice. Anyway, I always look forward to reading your Track Talk essays because they are so insightful and well-written!

Cheers!

Drew

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 11, 2013 12:01

A stunning rock orchestra of road weary junkie regret. Mick mines deep for this one, to his heart, with rare honesty. The gentle opening surprises, with the eastern sound of a traveling soul, that is restless and yearning for connection. Mick has been in the grind since the early sixties. Traveling from hotel to hotel, surrounded by sycophants with vacuous souls lapping at their heels. Mick is on a journey, searching, and yearning for a connection. The strings are beautiful, and propel the song on a zen journey of discovery. Mick Taylor adds gentle then searing layers that punctuate Jagger's emotional delivery. A perfect way to end a concept album about decay and debauchery. One of their crowning achievements. And yet, Keith is no where to be found.

Date: February 11, 2013 12:08

whitem8
A stunning rock orchestra of road weary junkie regret. Mick mines deep for this one, to his heart, with rare honesty. The gentle opening surprises, with the eastern sound of a traveling soul, that is restless and yearning for connection. Mick has been in the grind since the early sixties. Traveling from hotel to hotel, surrounded by sycophants with vacuous souls lapping at their heels. Mick is on a journey, searching, and yearning for a connection. The strings are beautiful, and propel the song on a zen journey of discovery. Mick Taylor adds gentle then searing layers that punctuate Jagger's emotional delivery. A perfect way to end a concept album about decay and debauchery. One of their crowning achievements. And yet, Keith is no where to be found.

Yes!! As usual, whitem8, you and Silver Dagger nailed it! And reading your post, it made me realize that, in some ways, Laugh I Nearly Died is a modern update of Moonlight Mile. Similar themes, and both (in my opinion) are absolutely brilliant.

Drew

Date: February 11, 2013 12:40

THanks, and back to you! Very nice post. Drew and Silverdagger, you guys are on my wave.

Date: February 11, 2013 12:49

whitem8

Hey whitem8, - Where you been, eh? You been up at that temple again, ain't ya? You're as bad as your sister, coming home from work all hours and all colors. (Only kidding, thought you'd like the quote though!)

Date: February 11, 2013 13:05

Sliver Dagger Get me the Home Office. He's wrecking my home!

Date: February 11, 2013 13:40

whitem8
Sliver Dagger Get me the Home Office. He's wrecking my home!

Ha ha. Knew I could count on you to spot the reference. Nice one.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 11, 2013 15:24

Moonlight Mile is no small way a masterpiece because of Mick Taylor.Did he get any additional recompense? Any credit, really? Within three years he would be tired of being used and abused.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 11, 2013 15:37

R
Moonlight Mile is no small way a masterpiece because of Mick Taylor.Did he get any additional recompense? Any credit, really? Within three years he would be tired of being used and abused.

Hear, Hear, I second that. OTOH, here comes DandelionPowderman to set us straight!smoking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 11, 2013 15:40

Amazing track!

Date: February 11, 2013 15:47

2000 LYFH
R

Hear, Hear, I second that. OTOH, here comes DandelionPowderman to set us straight!smoking smiley

Whaaaaaaaaat? grinning smiley MM is by far my favorite Stones track. It is indeed a masterpiece, much because of the two Micks' performances. Remember, it is Jagger who plays the main riff so beautifully, and it is indeed Mick Taylor who is filling in with the missing pieces in the soundscape, the icing on the cake - with beautiful, yet subtle textures. Simply wonderful. So is Paul Buckmaster's strings.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:00

DandelionPowderman
2000 LYFH
R
W
Moonlight Mile is no small way a masterpiece because of Mick Taylor.Did he get any additional recompense? Any credit, really?ithin three years he would be tired of being used and abused.

Whaaaaaaaaat? grinning smiley MM is by far my favorite Stones track. It is indeed a masterpiece, much because of the two Micks' performances. Remember, it is Jagger who plays the main riff so beautifully, and it is indeed Mick Taylor who is filling in with the missing pieces in the soundscape, the icing on the cake - with beautiful, yet subtle textures. Simply wonderful. So is Paul Buckmaster's strings.

LOL, sorry forgot to highlight R's quote. Talkin about the MT credit....

But you are right, never get tried of this masterpiece after 41+ years of listening to it.

Date: February 11, 2013 16:05

His Majesty
Amazing track!

Come on Phil. You can do better than that.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:16

Nothing I could add to what others have said better than I ever could. So yeah, I will
join the chorus: great song!

Keith has once made a remark that, although at first he said he had nothing to do with
this song (and later he would write this again in his autobiography, but) somewhere
he had recorded the main riff of the song before Mick and Mick took it in their hands.
If I remember well, he called it his "eastern thing" or something like that (the Department
of Historical Accuracy will know). So there might be something right about the Jagger/Richards
credits?

(Edited for a writing mistake I even noticed myself)

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-11 16:18 by marcovandereijk.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:24

One of my favourite all time tracks.

Some really nice descriptions on here.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:27

Keith likes to take credit for everything,this a mick's song while keith was high on drugs,credit must go to mick taylor too,one of the best song,jagger is the star here and his singing is the best.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:30

yes, been said already, sublime.

In an already very competitive list, this has to be considered a top ten song for the stones.

Date: February 11, 2013 16:33

marcovandereijk
Nothing I could add to what others have said better than I ever could. So yeah, I will
join the chorus: great song!

Keith has once made a remark that, although at first he said he had nothing to do with
this song (and later he would write this again in his autobiography, but) somewhere
he had recorded the main riff of the song before Mick and Mick took it in their hands.
If I remember well, he called it his "eastern thing" or something like that (the Department
of Historical Accuracy will know). So there might be something right about the Jagger/Richards
credits?

(Edited for a writing mistake I even noticed myself)

Recording began in March 1970 at Stargroves. The song was the product of an all-night session between Jagger and guitarist Mick Taylor. Taylor had taken a short guitar piece recorded by Richards (entitled "Japanese Thing" ) and reworked it for the session.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-11 16:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:35

Has to be in their top ten songs. Sad thing is that so many people don't know it - ie those who only hear the singles.

Date: February 11, 2013 16:40

2000 LYFH
DandelionPowderman
2000 LYFH
R
W
Moonlight Mile is no small way a masterpiece because of Mick Taylor.Did he get any additional recompense? Any credit, really?ithin three years he would be tired of being used and abused.

LOL, sorry forgot to highlight R's quote. Talkin about the MT credit....

But you are right, never get tried of this masterpiece after 41+ years of listening to it.

Ha ha, I did see that winking smiley

Should Brian have gotten song writing credits for his brilliant slide theme on I Wanna Be Your Man, in which makes the song? Nope, the Beatles wrote it...

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: February 11, 2013 16:47

The Alternate take on Crossfire is fantastic.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1717
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home