Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Best Version Of Oh No Not You Again?
Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 2, 2013 11:51

I'd also go for the Juilliard version probably because I remember all the joy and excitement on this site when the Stones were about to tour again in 2005.
Btw, I recall that the three song setlist was actually published on RollingStones.com prior to the performance at Lincoln Center. People went like wtf when they saw the songlitle Oh No, Not You Again.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 2, 2013 12:32

I remember that the Juilliard version was very exciting. I agree it's the best rendition of that song so far.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 2, 2013 14:27

MadMax
i know who were are. and who are who are you to slag us old farts???"

I ain't slagging you off, I'm just tired of hearing the same old moaning.

and now we're moaning about not coming up with some new moaning?

when the stones come up with some new material, then we moaners will follow suit...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 2, 2013 16:16

I prefer moaning about ticket prices!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 2, 2013 16:28

Yes they are quite expensive aren't they.

Can't think why nobody's mentioned it before !

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 2, 2013 16:30

onnya is awesome in the morning with an egg mcmuffin.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: January 2, 2013 17:25

its good in morning traffic as well....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 2, 2013 19:03

No one else remembers that footage of them recording the song? It's not on Youtube. I can't remember where I saw it. Perhaps on their website.

Posted by: Still A Fool ()
Date: January 2, 2013 19:28

Out of the 42 Brown Sugar's I've seen Julliard is the best. Stripped down, raw and powerful.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 2, 2013 21:10

GasLightStreet
No one else remembers that footage of them recording the song? It's not on Youtube. I can't remember where I saw it. Perhaps on their website.

I remember footage of the rehearsals for Juliard but not of them recording the song?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 2, 2013 21:35

flacnvinyl
Honestly I love ONNYA. The reason it was dismissed is the fact that Ronnie is so low in the mix.

You may be correct. For me however, I recall dissing it at the time, not because of any mixing issues necessarily, but moreso that it's simply a turd of a song. No melody, the music goes nowhere, the lyrics are lazy and disjointed like they were written by a 14-year-old, absolutley forgettable by-the-numbers stale, cold, flat, weak and limp-dicked. But that's just me.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: January 2, 2013 21:40

jamesfdouglas
flacnvinyl
Honestly I love ONNYA. The reason it was dismissed is the fact that Ronnie is so low in the mix.

You may be correct. For me however, I recall dissing it at the time, not because of any mixing issues necessarily, but moreso that it's simply a turd of a song. No melody, the music goes nowhere, the lyrics are lazy and disjointed like they were written by a 14-year-old, absolutley forgettable by-the-numbers stale, cold, flat, weak and limp-dicked. But that's just me.

it's not just you, jimmygoat...don't be so hard on yourself.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 2, 2013 21:42

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
flacnvinyl

Awww, see whatcha did there Tod??

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: January 2, 2013 21:50

jamesfdouglas
StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
flacnvinyl

Awww, see whatcha did there Tod??

occupational hazard

Date: January 2, 2013 22:05

James I can completely see your point there. However think of Sparks Will Fly... The music is great, lyrics are a bit silly... "sharks will cry", doesn't matter though, the song is fun. I agree completely on the lyrics.

ONNYA has hidden guitars on the chorus that a DESTROYED by the mastering process. You can hear these sweet notes that rings out and descend, but its so destroyed that you can only hear them if paying attention. Keith's guitar is way too loud in the mix. Charlie's kick sounds boomy and nasty. This song should kick ass, but instead sounds very very messy. Bad mixing, bad production.

One More Shot = verse sounds fine, chorus is horrible
Oh No Not You Again = verses are unfinished, chorus is great

BTW, my favorite part of ONNYA, and I have only heard them do this ONCE, is extending the very very very end of the song, which they did at Churchill Downs in 05. Mick calls for it to end, and it doesn't happen. Keith and Ronnie keep going back n forth and to me it sounded like Ronnie wanted to comply and go to the home-stretch part, but Keith wanted to keep playing fills. Nice little spontaneous moment forced on us by Keith refusing to follow Mick's by-the-numbers deal..

ONNYA @ Churchill Downs excerpt - link

Sorry for the bad sound quality. Typical ABB mix with muffled guitars too low in the mix, and it was raining.

Date: January 2, 2013 22:33

gotdablouse
GasLightStreet

I remember footage of the rehearsals for Juliard but not of them recording the song?

What I recall is Charlie up on some kind of riser, in a room with French doors, and Mick going into the room and jumping on the riser at the end of the song. It was in Mick's house. It was part of the footage they put out that showed the engineers with their laptops recording the songs; another shot saw Mick and Keith sitting in chairs playing guitars.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: January 2, 2013 22:48

GasLightStreet

Are you thinking about this clip?? it was a rehearsal video of ONNYA I think (??)

Date: January 2, 2013 22:53

tumbled
GasLightStreet

Are you thinking about this clip?? it was a rehearsal video of ONNYA I think (??)

No, I remember that one. The one I'm remembering is certainly the recording sessions for the album. The reason it sticks out is because it gave me hope that the album would be really good. It was on their website. I know it's not on the deluxe release. That has the interviews, where Keith talks about adding fairy dust to Streets Of Love and his very unconvincing 'I enjoyed playing on it' quips.

Date: January 2, 2013 23:15

OK, I change my vote. Forgot all about that rehearsal version. THAT version absolutely SLAYS!

Date: January 2, 2013 23:23

according to my eighth-grade math teacher, a good version of a horrible song still = a horrible song.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 2, 2013 23:34

Tod, I respectfully ask you if you are a man who spends 24 hours in front of the screen trying to make fun out of anybody's post. Anyway, a good year 2013 to you!

Date: January 2, 2013 23:57

windmelody
Tod, I respectfully ask you if you are a man who spends 24 hours in front of the screen trying to make fun out of anybody's post. Anyway, a good year 2013 to you!

i object to the characterization that i am a man of any kind

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 3, 2013 00:09

StonesTod
windmelody

i object to the characterization that i am a man of any kind

Fine!

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: January 3, 2013 00:10

You can't polish a turd.

Date: January 3, 2013 00:14

BlackHat
You can't polish a turd.

are you sure? have you tried?

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: January 3, 2013 00:15

StonesTod
BlackHat
You can't polish a turd.

No, but I will try it on one of your threads and report back spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: January 3, 2013 00:28

BlackHat
You can't polish a turd.
No but you can roll it in glitter!

Date: January 3, 2013 00:33

BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
You can't polish a turd.

No, but I will try it on one of your threads and report back spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

which one? you don't need to report back. i'll watch as you try.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2013 00:36

StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
You can't polish a turd.

I've tried...all you get is turd on your polishing rag...the stench remains though.

Date: January 3, 2013 00:44

treaclefingers
StonesTod
BlackHat
StonesTod
BlackHat
You can't polish a turd.

I've tried...all you get is turd on your polishing rag...the stench remains though.

the stench isn't as bad as you think. it's sorta on the order of manure...there's a ma and there's a newer.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home