Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Waiting on a Friend with Mick Taylor...
Date: January 8, 2013 09:50

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
I think there are a few misunderstandings here smiling smiley

- Yes, Taylor mainly sticks to the pentatonic scale, be it in major or minor, or he is mixing those in one solo, which is very common for any guitarist.

- The above is NOT a bad thing. My guess is that Mathijs was referring to Dead Flowers on L&G as an example of how this can be done in a rather uninspired way - to illustrate that Taylor's playing on the last Stones tours at times sounded as he was bored (something he has confirmed himself).

- Ronnie Wood has never "tried" to copy Taylor's solos. He pays homeage to Taylor, where the parts of his solos are essential to the songs (All Down The Line, CYHMK, Fingerprint File's bass etc). Other times, when the solos can be improved (there are a few), f.i. on If You Can't Rock Me, Happy, Tumblin' Dice and others - the solos are totally different. The "copying" is misunderstood.

- AND: If you have played guitar a few years, you'll find that it's not hard, not at all, to play what Taylor plays. However, it's very hard to play it as beautiful as he did when he was on top of his game (Ya Ya's: SCB, SFTD).

Hmm...I never said Wood tried to "copy" Taylor's parts, but he did try to emulate them on several songs, and is still doing so. On the contrary when Taylor started playing with the Stones he created new parts for songs like Satisfaction, I'm Free, Stray Cat Blues, etc. He didn't bother trying to emulate what Brian (or Keith) had done on the records. I know this isn't a Taylor/Wood debate exactly but to me it shows that they were different kinds of musicians. Perhaps it can be argued that in 1969 the Stones were more open to reimagining their catalog for the stage than they were later when Wood was in the band, but I do think when Taylor heard a song he looked for an opportunity to put his own stamp on it, and I believe this approach was far more musically compelling than what they have been doing the last 20+ years, which is more and more trying to copy the records, both in arrangement and tempo.

Someone else did...

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: October 13, 2014 18:25

---

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 19, 2014 18:49

talkcheap
Very good rythm guitar by Mick Taylor. The best guitar work on Tattoo you is the two tracks Taylor plays on.

He only plays on one...

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 19, 2014 19:18

GasLightStreet
talkcheap
Very good rythm guitar by Mick Taylor. The best guitar work on Tattoo you is the two tracks Taylor plays on.

He only plays on one...

He played on TOPS as well, didn't he? Or was that the one you were referring to? Or Woody played it in the end? idk...

Date: October 19, 2014 19:24

SweetThing
GasLightStreet
talkcheap

He only plays on one...

He played on TOPS as well, didn't he? Or was that the one you were referring to? Or Woody played it in the end? idk...

Yes, Tops.

Date: October 19, 2014 22:07

The rhythm guitar on Tops is Keith.

The best rhythm guitar work on TY is not on WOAF? What about SMU, Little T+A, Slave or Tops?

Date: October 20, 2014 04:31

Taylor played - and it is on the album - on Tops. That's all.

The best rhythm work? What about it? Whaddayamean what about it? What about it? It's there! Keith and Ronnie!

Date: October 20, 2014 08:27

GasLightStreet
Taylor played - and it is on the album - on Tops. That's all.

The best rhythm work? What about it? Whaddayamean what about it? What about it? It's there! Keith and Ronnie!

Regarding Talkcheap's post above..

Date: November 18, 2014 01:21

------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-18 02:09 by ExileonTaylorStreet.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 18, 2014 05:02

ExileonTaylorStreet

That's Mick Taylor playing on Waiting on a Friend, not Keith Richards. He wasn't at the WAOF recording sessions.

You sound sure, but is this just an educated guess or do you have some sort other source for this?

- Doxa

Date: November 18, 2014 08:53

First quote ever stating Keith wasn't there. Calls for elaboration...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 18, 2014 09:10

smiling smiley It's amazing what emotionally it will be when it is a question of who played what on a song recorded by The Rolling Stones. Personally I think Mick, Keith, Charlie,Mick T, Bill and Ronnie should write a book together about this, who'S PLAYING what on ALL OUR SONGS SO that IT WILL BE CLEARED OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL!

2 1 2 0

Date: November 18, 2014 09:51

Come On
smiling smiley It's amazing what emotionally it will be when it is a question of who played what on a song recorded by The Rolling Stones. Personally I think Mick, Keith, Charlie,Mick T, Bill and Ronnie should write a book together about this, who'S PLAYING what on ALL OUR SONGS SO that IT WILL BE CLEARED OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL!

Or better, their sound engineers and co-producers should write it. The band members seem a bit lost on who did what back then smiling smiley

A couple of nuggets:

"I wrote all the ballads"
- Mick Taylor

"I played Little T+A in open G"
- Keith Richards

"We've never played this one before (Torn And Frayed)
- Mick Jagger in 2002

"I was at the Hyde Park Concert in 1969"
- Ron Wood

"We played it live at the Ed Sullivan Show" (Mother's Little Helper)
- Charlie Watts

"I wrote Jumping Jack Flash"
- Bill Wyman

Date: November 18, 2014 10:39

Kevinrm15
Didn't Mick Taylor play on Waiting on a Friend at the Kansas 1981 show?

Yes, he did.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 18, 2014 11:44

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Or better, their sound engineers and co-producers should write it. The band members seem a bit lost on who did what back then smiling smiley

A couple of nuggets:

"I wrote all the ballads"
- Mick Taylor

"I played Little T+A in open G"
- Keith Richards

"We've never played this one before (Torn And Frayed)
- Mick Jagger in 2002

"I was at the Hyde Park Concert in 1969"
- Ron Wood

"We played it live at the Ed Sullivan Show" (Mother's Little Helper)
- Charlie Watts

"I wrote Jumping Jack Flash"
- Bill Wyman

thumbs up Brilliant idea!

Date: November 26, 2014 15:50

--------

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 26, 2014 21:02

ExileonTaylorStreet
GasLightStreet
talkcheap

He only plays on one...

Two actually: Tops and Waiting on a Friend, which you don't seem to hear.
It's the visual image broadcasted by the TV channels that stays in your memories. That's Mick Taylor playing on Waiting on a Friend, not Keith Richards. He wasn't at the WAOF recording sessions.

He wasn't at the sessions? So how did he then end up on the basic track recordings recorded at these very same sessions like Winter, Tops, You Should Have Seen Her Ass, Through The Lonely Nights, Heartbreaker, Criss Cross, Angie, and his own Coming Down Again?

Mathijs

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 26, 2014 22:08

Mathijs
ExileonTaylorStreet
GasLightStreet
talkcheap

He only plays on one...

Two actually: Tops and Waiting on a Friend, which you don't seem to hear.
It's the visual image broadcasted by the TV channels that stays in your memories. That's Mick Taylor playing on Waiting on a Friend, not Keith Richards. He wasn't at the WAOF recording sessions.

He wasn't at the sessions? So how did he then end up on the basic track recordings recorded at these very same sessions like Winter, Tops, You Should Have Seen Her Ass, Through The Lonely Nights, Heartbreaker, Criss Cross, Angie, and his own Coming Down Again?

Mathijs

It's easy to imagine Keith not being present for a portion of those sessions. He was by his own admission pretty strung out on smack at the time. It is not beyond speculation that Keith was nodded out in the bathroom or just not there while MT was playing the WOAF parts.

But like others, I'd love to see/hear the source for that information. peace

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 26, 2014 23:13

Richards plays on Winter? News to me

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 27, 2014 00:44

I thought Mick Taylor played the whole show at KC in 1981? I must be wrong as this would seem impossible and risky for many reasons - would have loved to
Witness it though no matter what the outcome!

Date: November 27, 2014 02:17

swimtothemoon
I thought Mick Taylor played the whole show at KC in 1981? I must be wrong as this would seem impossible and risky for many reasons - would have loved to
Witness it though no matter what the outcome!

He came on after a few songs.

Date: November 27, 2014 02:18

I thought Mick played the rhythm guitar on Winter?

Date: November 27, 2014 04:51

DandelionPowderman

OK now you've done it. You're confusing us all with your broad statement of a question. Maybe the question should be 'how many Mick's does it take to record a song without Keith?' or... 'With only Keith recording guitar on WOAF how can a Mick be playing guitar on a track that he doesn't play guitar on?'

You know, like that, and everything.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: November 27, 2014 08:34

DandelionPowderman

He does. It doesn't sound remotely like Keith and no-one has ever suggested Keith played on it, as far as I know.

Date: November 27, 2014 11:20

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

OK now you've done it. You're confusing us all with your broad statement of a question. Maybe the question should be 'how many Mick's does it take to record a song without Keith?' or... 'With only Keith recording guitar on WOAF how can a Mick be playing guitar on a track that he doesn't play guitar on?'

Mick in the Stones will ALWAYS be Mick Jagger. Confusing? Nope smiling smiley

Date: November 27, 2014 11:21

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

He does. It doesn't sound remotely like Keith and no-one has ever suggested Keith played on it, as far as I know.

Yes, they have - albeit vaguely. Here's from timeisonourside.com

Probable line-up:

Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Bill Wyman
Rhythm electric guitars: Mick Jagger (& Keith Richards?)
Lead electric guitars: Mick Taylor
Vocals: Mick Jagger
Piano: Nicky Hopkins
Violins, cellos, violas: (unknown musicians)

Date: November 27, 2014 17:24

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Wrong answer! You got Micks on several songs without Keiths or Ronnies...

Date: November 27, 2014 17:26

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Wrong answer! You got Micks on several songs without Keiths or Ronnies...

No, you got Mick and Taylor on several songs without Keiths or Ronnies...

Date: November 27, 2014 18:10

No one has suggest Keith has played on Winter? Ha ha. There's always confusion somewhere. Why, Keith plays on Saint Of Me... live.

Date: November 27, 2014 18:20

GasLightStreet
No one has suggest Keith has played on Winter? Ha ha. There's always confusion somewhere. Why, Keith plays on Saint Of Me... live.

Mathijs did.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home