Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Waiting on a Friend with Mick Taylor...
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 5, 2013 07:29

DandelionPowderman
I think there are a few misunderstandings here smiling smiley

- Yes, Taylor mainly sticks to the pentatonic scale, be it in major or minor, or he is mixing those in one solo, which is very common for any guitarist.

- The above is NOT a bad thing. My guess is that Mathijs was referring to Dead Flowers on L&G as an example of how this can be done in a rather uninspired way - to illustrate that Taylor's playing on the last Stones tours at times sounded as he was bored (something he has confirmed himself).

- Ronnie Wood has never "tried" to copy Taylor's solos. He pays homeage to Taylor, where the parts of his solos are essential to the songs (All Down The Line, CYHMK, Fingerprint File's bass etc). Other times, when the solos can be improved (there are a few), f.i. on If You Can't Rock Me, Happy, Tumblin' Dice and others - the solos are totally different. The "copying" is misunderstood.

- AND: If you have played guitar a few years, you'll find that it's not hard, not at all, to play what Taylor plays. However, it's very hard to play it as beautiful as he did when he was on top of his game (Ya Ya's: SCB, SFTD).

Hmm...I never said Wood tried to "copy" Taylor's parts, but he did try to emulate them on several songs, and is still doing so. On the contrary when Taylor started playing with the Stones he created new parts for songs like Satisfaction, I'm Free, Stray Cat Blues, etc. He didn't bother trying to emulate what Brian (or Keith) had done on the records. I know this isn't a Taylor/Wood debate exactly but to me it shows that they were different kinds of musicians. Perhaps it can be argued that in 1969 the Stones were more open to reimagining their catalog for the stage than they were later when Wood was in the band, but I do think when Taylor heard a song he looked for an opportunity to put his own stamp on it, and I believe this approach was far more musically compelling than what they have been doing the last 20+ years, which is more and more trying to copy the records, both in arrangement and tempo.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 5, 2013 08:20

DandelionPowderman

- AND: If you have played guitar a few years, you'll find that it's not hard, not at all, to play what Taylor plays. However, it's very hard to play it as beautiful as he did when he was on top of his game (Ya Ya's: SCB, SFTD).

Very true. There was a fluidity and grace the way he moved across the fret board. Playing notes is one thing - any decent guitarist who can play by ear can learn to play the solo in Winter or one of his solos from the live version of YCAGWYW...
even not for note.
But making it soar and giving those notes an emotional current is a singular gift.
Taylor does that so often during a solo, but there are moments that just go into a different atmosphere....like at around 4:20 and 6:07 ....

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 5, 2013 08:37

Another gem:

I can only imagine what he would have played on Waiting on a Friend.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 5, 2013 13:08

lapaz62
Its rock and roll for f**K sake, no need to be a musical genius, you want to talk theory, call up Paganini or Rachmaninoff, people that thrived on it. How many filthy rich musician can't even read music or ever needed to, show them the patterns and away they go. Hendrix talked in musical colours, not much theory there.

Many of the very rich and famous musicians have musical talents you and I don't have. If you don't have the talent of say Jimi Hendrix, knowledge of scales can boost your guitar playing skills tremendously.

Mathijs

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: January 5, 2013 16:43

DoomandGloom
Funniest thing though is -Taylor didn't have a clue about all these scales and modes. Yup that Mick Taylor is a dummy who knows nothing about modes

He also played with Soft Machine. BTW This is an amazing clip.

I didn't know Mick played with Soft Machine. I think you mix it up with Pierre Moerlen's Gong, Expresso II. Mick plays there together with Allan Holdsworth, the latter actually played with Soft Machine.

Mick is a guest player here, coming in at 1:05

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 5, 2013 17:05

Right Gong, haven't heard that in decades..... During these years he was an experimental guitarist using modes, so TWFNO is not just him stumbling onto something. he also guested with Little Feat a few times.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 5, 2013 17:24

71Tele
Hmm...I never said Wood tried to "copy" Taylor's parts

ok, i'll say it then: he tried to copy taylor's parts. nice try but not quite. ronnie wood if he cood...or something.

Date: January 5, 2013 18:00

StonesTod
71Tele

ok, i'll say it then: he tried to copy taylor's parts. nice try but not quite. ronnie wood if he cood...or something.
There's plenty of times where Wood tries to copy Taylor's parts but that is part of his role..He copies Keith when it's called for as well. Wood is not the guitarist Mick is but Ronnie's era in the band still has been great and obviously built to last

Date: January 5, 2013 18:04

DoomandGloom
StonesTod
71Tele

There's plenty of times where Wood tries to copy Taylor's parts but that is part of his role..He copies Keith when it's called for as well. Wood is not the guitarist Mick is but Ronnie's era in the band still has been great and obviously built to last

yeah, but look copycat, that guy there, if he doesn't stop it, man...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 6, 2013 02:38

DandelionPowderman

- Yes, Taylor mainly sticks to the pentatonic scale, be it in major or minor, or he is mixing those in one solo, which is very common for any guitarist.

- The above is NOT a bad thing. My guess is that Mathijs was referring to Dead Flowers on L&G as an example of how this can be done in a rather uninspired way - to illustrate that Taylor's playing on the last Stones tours at times sounded as he was bored (something he has confirmed himself).

- Ronnie Wood has never "tried" to copy Taylor's solos. He pays homeage to Taylor, where the parts of his solos are essential to the songs (All Down The Line, CYHMK, Fingerprint File's bass etc). Other times, when the solos can be improved (there are a few), f.i. on If You Can't Rock Me, Happy, Tumblin' Dice and others - the solos are totally different. The "copying" is misunderstood.

Tumblin dice was so much better with Taylor. Happy too although the overdubbed LYL version has a great blueprint for Ronnie's solo. Pity he never learned to play it live also. If you cant rock me is much better with Ronnie though. In 1975 of course.

Date: January 6, 2013 03:07

StonesTod
71Tele

I was trying to be diplomatic...He actually said in '75 that he thought his role was to play Taylor's (and Brian's) parts. I am old enough to remember him saying that. The only problem is that every time he tries to play a part identified with - and created by - Taylor, he only exposes his limitations as a guitarist and musician. He never really has gotten better at playing All Down The Line, for example. It's often ok, or even good, but it's never great. Wood had his own "golden age" in the band from 1978 to 1981 (I would say) when his style meshed perfectly with what the Stones were doing. I think his role diminished again when the Vegas era started and the Stones became a band who mostly played their well-known pre-Wood hits (exceptions being "MIss You" and a few others).

Date: January 6, 2013 03:10

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

Tumblin dice was so much better with Taylor. Happy too although the overdubbed LYL version has a great blueprint for Ronnie's solo. Pity he never learned to play it live also. If you cant rock me is much better with Ronnie though. In 1975 of course.

Happy is an interesting case, because he actually has to copy Richards' lead from the record on that. Taylor did his own thing on Happy in '72 and '73, which had little to do with what was on the record. I think Wood's Happy was very, very good these last shows, but he was still basically aping Keith's slide part from the record. Perhaps he improved a little bit on it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 6, 2013 14:25

Redhotcarpet
Happy too although the overdubbed LYL version has a great blueprint for Ronnie's solo. Pity he never learned to play it live also. If you cant rock me is much better with Ronnie though. In 1975 of course.

Both guitars on Happy are original, not overdubbed. The vocals are overdubbed.

Mathijs

Date: January 6, 2013 14:57

Ronnie on steel guitar for Happy doesn't cut it. When did he start doing that?

Date: January 6, 2013 16:58

DoomandGloom

i don't think it's steel guitar...it's just a regular guitar that he's playing on a tabletop with his slide for convenience's sake...kinda robert randolph-style or the way jeff healey used to do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 16:59 by StonesTod.

Date: January 6, 2013 17:49

StonesTod
DoomandGloom

i don't think it's steel guitar...it's just a regular guitar that he's playing on a tabletop with his slide for convenience's sake...kinda robert randolph-style or the way jeff healey used to do it.
A lap guitar then? Or a steel guitar without pedals, whatever you call it Ronnie plays better when using a regular guitar. He didn't nail it once in the 5 shows...

Date: January 6, 2013 17:54

DoomandGloom
A lap guitar then? Or a steel guitar without pedals, whatever you call it Ronnie plays better when using a regular guitar. He didn't nail it once in the 5 shows...

wasn't on his lap, so can't call it that. and it's not a steel guitar, per se. sigh. can we just call it that silly-looking-guitar-thing-that-he-puts-on-a-tabletop-so-he-can-play-happy-whilst-sitting-down-cos-he's-tired? just easier this way.

Date: January 6, 2013 18:06

StonesTod
DoomandGloom

wasn't on his lap, so can't call it that. and it's not a steel guitar, per se. sigh. can we just call it that silly-looking-guitar-thing-that-he-puts-on-a-tabletop-so-he-can-play-happy-whilst-sitting-down-cos-he's-tired? just easier this way.
I got it "Hawaiian guitar"

Date: January 6, 2013 19:02

DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom

It's a freakin' lap steel on a stand.

Sheesh...

Date: January 6, 2013 22:33

71Tele
DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom

Sheesh...

then it's not a lap steel. c'mon, man. wake up.

Date: January 6, 2013 23:10

StonesTod
71Tele
DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom

Sheesh...

It can't be a lap steel without a lap?

Date: January 6, 2013 23:26

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom

Sheesh...

can it be a pedal steel without any pedals? well, can it??

Date: January 6, 2013 23:34

video: [alderspace.pbworks.com] something like this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 23:35 by DoomandGloom.

Date: January 7, 2013 01:56

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom

Sheesh...

Well, that would just be a steel guitar, or a table steel, as they were sometimes called. Someone got the brilliant idea to add pedals to a steel guitar and behold: The pedal steel. But the lap steel was around on its own. First electric guitar of any kind, in fact. But I guess without a lap it's a bad name.

Hey, the stand-up bass was just called a "bass" until the arrival of the electric bass (not "bass guitar" - I don't want to have that argument again).

Date: January 7, 2013 02:00

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom

Sheesh...

Well, that would just be a steel guitar, or a table steel, as they were sometimes called. Someone got the brilliant idea to add pedals to a steel guitar and behold: The pedal steel. But the lap steel was around on its own. First electric guitar of any kind, in fact. But I guess without a lap it's a bad name.

Hey, the stand-up bass was just called a "bass" until the arrival of the electric bass (not "bass guitar" - I don't want to have that argument again).

rocknroll isn't supposed to make you think. it's for morons like us who really have to stretch out of our comfort zone to think.

can't we just called them all geetars and be done with it?

Date: January 7, 2013 04:05

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
DoomandGloom
StonesTod
DoomandGloom

Sheesh...

rocknroll isn't supposed to make you think. it's for morons like us who really have to stretch out of our comfort zone to think.

can't we just called them all geetars and be done with it?

Fine by me.

Date: January 7, 2013 09:58

71Tele
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

Happy is an interesting case, because he actually has to copy Richards' lead from the record on that. Taylor did his own thing on Happy in '72 and '73, which had little to do with what was on the record. I think Wood's Happy was very, very good these last shows, but he was still basically aping Keith's slide part from the record. Perhaps he improved a little bit on it.

It's only recently that Woody started to play around with Keith's solo. Since 1975 he played a solo he came up with himself, not based on Richards' or Taylor's solo.

The only Taylor solos I enjoyed on Happy was when he played slide. The country licks (that it also the case with Tumblin' Dice and Dead Flowers, imo) tend to grow a bit boring after a few seconds, imo.

But the 1973-solos with slide were fantastic. So were Wood's solos between 1975 and 1978.

Date: January 7, 2013 16:28

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

It's only recently that Woody started to play around with Keith's solo. Since 1975 he played a solo he came up with himself, not based on Richards' or Taylor's solo.

The only Taylor solos I enjoyed on Happy was when he played slide. The country licks (that it also the case with Tumblin' Dice and Dead Flowers, imo) tend to grow a bit boring after a few seconds, imo.

But the 1973-solos with slide were fantastic. So were Wood's solos between 1975 and 1978.

Boring? I can't see how anyone can be bored by what Taylor did on stage with Tumbling Dice, but there you have it...

Date: January 7, 2013 17:23

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

Boring? I can't see how anyone can be bored by what Taylor did on stage with Tumbling Dice, but there you have it...

Because it was one of the (very) few times he changed the song into something I don't like - simple as that

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: January 8, 2013 05:56

Didn't Mick Taylor play on Waiting on a Friend at the Kansas 1981 show?

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1532
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home