Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Can Stones Do Even Better?
Date: December 23, 2012 04:53

Something can certainly be said for going out on top. But can the Stones do even better? After all, they only did five shows. Didn't Mick once say he needs about 20 shows or more into a tour for the band to really begin to function at peak efficiency?

There is no denying that they performed at an extremely high level for each of the five recent shows. But can they do even better?

Re: Can Stones Do Even Better?
Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 23, 2012 05:00

Do you think they could do better? and if so how?

Date: December 23, 2012 05:02

Tonstone

I don't know. That's why I am asking the question.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 23, 2012 05:10

JumpinJackOLantern
Tonstone

I have listened to the SBD recording of the last show - I don't think any band could have done better. I have just listened to some beautiful fills guitar licks- I am convinced they gave it their best shot - I loved it. Okay lot's of guest spots - but a calculated MJ knew this was required to drag the best out of the 'Weavers'

Date: December 23, 2012 05:36

Tonstone
JumpinJackOLantern
Tonstone

I have listened to the SBD recording of the last show - I don't think any band could have done better. I have just listened to some beautiful fills guitar licks- I am convinced they gave it their best shot - I loved it. Okay lot's of guest spots - but a calculated MJ knew this was required to drag the best out of the 'Weavers'

So this is about as good as they can play? And how long do you think they can maintain this level of excellence? Certainly they seemed more focused for this mini tour than they did at the end of ABB.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 23, 2012 05:50

They don't have to do 'better'. Their playing could be worse, but much more enjoyable if the setlist was varied. If the way they go out is by playing the same tunes yet again, then so be it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 23, 2012 05:51

Must have been the European end of ABB. I saw the end of the American version and they were hot. It could certainly take some more shows to get Keith at a higher level. He still seems out of shape and not on the same page as the others.

Date: December 23, 2012 06:32

I can't find it, looked around the net and the search feature here for about 20 minutes... but there is amazingly bad video of Keith falling asleep/nodding off, something, during the intro to Happy. It was one of the Euro shows on the ABB tour, and happened shortly after the coconut incident.

Honestly, Keith is doing a great job these days. My ONLY complaint is with the setlist and ticket prices. Keith's playing has been very decent from what I've seen/heard from these shows.

The only time I see Keith getting into a rut is when he does bends and sustains instead of playing. See example below at the 5:47 mark...

Date: December 23, 2012 06:50

they should call it quits. once the tour starts, the drinking and drugs start, and things get ragged. i say that's it

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2012 07:47

.......... Geeeeeeeez 21st ...man I thought you were a cat ....
Guess that's what Texas does to ya.... SAD!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: December 23, 2012 08:45

@21stcenturystones - Do you see that trend on this 'tour'? I don't. They all seem very sober and focused. Honestly.

I see the band doing a greatest-hits show for the 1percenters that Mick loves to slag in all of his political tracks including Doom & Gloom. Doesn't matter. I have no problem with them making money, but they better not play Salt of the Earth or Street Fighting Man if they're going to charge the current ticket prices.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 23, 2012 12:22

Better:

1. Reducing the guest spot alibi

2. More and longer solos by Ronnie Wood

3. Reducing the plink plonk attitude of Chuck Leavell

4. More and longer presence of Mick Taylor (MR, YCAGWYW, Sway, Winter etc.)

5. YCAGWYW without choir and bridge, more like in the seventies with extensive solos on guitar (MT + RW)

6. No brass section

7. SFTD without the annoying drum samples, with harsh and rough guitars from the beginning till the end like in the seventies

8. More blues tunes in the set list

9. Reducing the greatest hits factor in the set list

10. And please: No Miss You

11. And Ronnie please: No messy solos on TD and SMU, you can do it better!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-23 12:26 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 23, 2012 14:33

RobertJohnson
Better:

3. Reducing the plink plonk attitude of Chuck Leavell

smileys with beer

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 23, 2012 16:02

yes....can you imagine the roof being raised if they performed I'm Going Down from Metamposrphosis, or any number of their deep cuts? I can.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 23, 2012 16:13

I can't see them playing a lot of deep cuts and the deep cuts are going to send a lot of the audience to the bathroom. Not me and my fellow IORR's but the casual fans that go which is most of them.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 23, 2012 17:51

Isnt the real question, "Can The Stones even do margarine?"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 23, 2012 17:58

Max'sKansasCity

You butter take that back.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 23, 2012 18:02

24FPS
Max'sKansasCity

You butter take that back.

Parkay!

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: December 23, 2012 19:34

Well over the many years I have seen the Stones they are always worth seeing of course and usually they are great but sometimes they can be worse to bad. I remember seeing them at the New Bingley Hall in Staffordshire, Uk in 76 and Keef was terrible then.. the odd "out of it" performance is nothing new, it is part of the Stones legendary story. Also, I thought they were terrible (worst one I ever saw) at Knebworth the same year. Both of these shows were certainly worth watching and listening to as I said. Regarding them not being good on ABB Tour, (USA or Europe?) - I saw them at the beginning of ABB in the LA Forum show, then I saw the penultimate gig on ABB at London 02 and both shows were absolutely fantastic - amongst the best I've ever seen 'em. When they are great there is no band on Earth to approach them but when they are not so good (by their high standard) they are still fantastic to watch in my opinion. Uneven performances during tours is not by any means a new or recent phenomenon in my experience. You see the Stones are the masters of real live rock 'n roll/ blues - it is a reflection of real life with all it's imperfections and uncertainties - that's part of the excitement of a Rolling Stones show and there's nothing else quite like it.

"till the next time..."

Date: December 23, 2012 20:09

24FPS
Must have been the European end of ABB. I saw the end of the American version and they were hot. It could certainly take some more shows to get Keith at a higher level. He still seems out of shape and not on the same page as the others.

Yes, ABB ended in Europe in 2007. I am only going on what has been reported here that Keith had issues in 2007.

Date: December 23, 2012 20:14

flacnvinyl
They don't have to do 'better'. Their playing could be worse, but much more enjoyable if the setlist was varied. If the way they go out is by playing the same tunes yet again, then so be it.

I referenced what Mick had said about how it takes them 20 or more shows to get up to peak efficiency on a tour and was just wondering if because they only did five shows on this mini tour if they will even get better with additional shows? I thought they were fantastic for the PPV show - the only one I have seen. I don't judge any performances by what I see on U-tube.

Date: December 23, 2012 20:27

21stcenturystones
they should call it quits. once the tour starts, the drinking and drugs start, and things get ragged. i say that's it

If the PPV show was the end then they certainly went out in style. Just watched it again - this time on HD. Amazing, simply amazing. Jagger is sexier than ever!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 23, 2012 20:55

Under what circumstance and would fans accept a show featuring all 3 Stones guitarists throughout? The recordings have plenty of great guitar parts and Taylor offered some tasty acoustic parts in his era. Of course this would be an entirely different chemistry but the Stones seem to like to rehearse. Would this put less pressure on each one of them or just be a mess and not the Rolling Stones???

Date: December 23, 2012 23:55

DoomandGloom
Under what circumstance and would fans accept a show featuring all 3 Stones guitarists throughout? The recordings have plenty of great guitar parts and Taylor offered some tasty acoustic parts in his era. Of course this would be an entirely different chemistry but the Stones seem to like to rehearse. Would this put less pressure on each one of them or just be a mess and not the Rolling Stones???

I don't think it can or should be done. I would love to see Taylor come out here n there, but not at the expense of a good show. Ronnie is brilliant. If they'd turn him up in the mix everyone would realize how well he has been playing all these years.

I would speculate (conspiracy theory time) that there is something in Ronnie's contract that tells all sound engineers that Keith's volume and presence should be 2x as loud and hearty as Ronnie's. Every single time from 81 on, Ronnie has been lower in volume and thinner in tone. 78 was the last 'even' tour..

Date: December 24, 2012 07:16

Just saying...i think a long tour and things will get ugly. keith's playing will suffer, ronnie may fall off the wagon, micks vocals, can they last?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 24, 2012 07:29

............Geeeeez 21st ...you been spendin' time in Canada ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 24, 2012 07:45

If the Stones gave it up in 72 then they would have gone out on top like the Beatles did.

Gotta give the Stones credit for hitting 50, but they are just really a greatest hits band now and have been for decades and a lot of fans seem to be happy about that, so ok if that keeps them happy.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: December 24, 2012 08:12

Of course they can't do better! Look damn you they aren't young anymore and the show's that they've put on at their ages and the level of energy it takes to put on a proper Rollling Stones show already show's them to have given more than what us the ordinary fan has to expect from them and I think we should just be thankfull they could even pull off the stuff they did! Give them a break already.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 24, 2012 08:13

howled
If the Stones gave it up in 72 then they would have gone out on top like the Beatles did.

Gotta give the Stones credit for hitting 50, but they are just really a greatest hits band now and have been for decades and a lot of fans seem to be happy about that, so ok if that keeps them happy.
The Stones are still on top without leaving in 72. I don't think they've hurt their legacy by carrying on any more than Mac's and Ringo's touring hurts the Beatles. As far as their limited set lists, until Brooklyn I hadn't seen them since Steel Wheels so it's not fair to me access what's played out. I will say I've watched the Allman Brothers morph and reject their standards and today they're are a band who's lost their true sound, sliding through covers and obscure Allman related stuff leaving fans begging for Ramblin' Man. The Stones will have to adjust somewhat to the effect UTUBE has on their program, thanks to it the audience needs some radical stuff to be surprised at each show, like rock hanukkah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-24 08:59 by DoomandGloom.

Date: December 24, 2012 08:50

you lookin for a fight "Rockman".....just sayin....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2170
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home