Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Moonlight Miles - A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 4, 2013 17:25

Kurt
Chris,
Interesting developments here in Detroit regarding the local venues featured in your book.

Cobo Arena was demolished last spring to make way for a renovated convention space.

The Pontiac Silverdome, was which sold in 2009 for only $ 583,000 , had its roof deflated yesterday in anticipation of some sort of remodel despite relative inactivity since The Detroit Lions moved out of Pontiac in 2001.

Email me if you want some picture that I just took...

Kurt - I will - thank you so much - so the arena is totally gone? Wasn't sure how much "renovation" it was and how much "destroy it and build something new"

Re: Moonlight Miles - A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 4, 2013 17:40

hbwriter
Kurt
Chris,
Interesting developments here in Detroit regarding the local venues featured in your book.

Cobo Arena was demolished last spring to make way for a renovated convention space.

The Pontiac Silverdome, was which sold in 2009 for only $ 583,000 , had its roof deflated yesterday in anticipation of some sort of remodel despite relative inactivity since The Detroit Lions moved out of Pontiac in 2001.

Email me if you want some picture that I just took...

Kurt - I will - thank you so much - so the arena is totally gone? Wasn't sure how much "renovation" it was and how much "destroy it and build something new"

As far as Cobo goes the arena itself, including all the seating, is gone.
The building was gutted and is being completely renovated to include a two-story convention center.

Imagine slicing a new floor straight across the arena itself horizontally, creating a new basement where the floor seating used to be!

Check your email for the "roof-less" Silverdome.

Date: January 4, 2013 17:57

Kurt - awesome - thank you!

speaking of Cobo - before the renovation - two kids return to the scene - that is the same sign - they kept it! (and refreshed it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-04 17:57 by hbwriter.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 4, 2013 18:10

fyi Barton Hall is part of Cornell University not Ithaca College... Cornell is located in Ithaca NY.

Date: January 4, 2013 18:20

Natlanta
fyi Barton Hall is part of Cornell University not Ithaca College... Cornell is located in Ithaca NY.

thanks, N--we caught that one - it's right in the book i just mistyped it here - was just listening to a dead tape from a show i was at there - wonderful place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-04 18:21 by hbwriter.

Date: January 4, 2013 20:44

Huntington Hotel
1075 California Street
San Francisco
This historic, landmark luxury hotel is located on prestigious Nob Hill in San Francisco, and it's where the Rolling Stones stayed when they arrived in town for the infamous Altamont concert in December, 1969. The band got ready for the show here, and also returned here after the concert. Interestingly, the interior can also be seen in the film “Gimme Shelter” when the band is seen in one the hotel rooms, listening to a rough version of "Brown Sugar" recorded just a couple of days earlier at Muscle Shoals studios in Alabama. (Working with the hotel now to try and determine precisely which suite they are in)

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 4, 2013 21:31

Great job, Chris.
I got a Kindle for Christmas, and your book will be my first purchase.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 5, 2013 01:19

Max'sKansasCity
hbwriter

I will snap some pictures... Is Kemper and Municipal all you need?

that would be fantastic, man

As promised.... Pictures of Kemper...
Feel free to use as many, or few, as you like for your purposes. If there is something I need to do to "unlock" the full size picture (they are all large sized) maybe email you the pic, let me know.
[s1048.beta.photobucket.com]

I took these today, they are for you hbwriter, for free, to do what you wish.

I think morning sun lighting will be best for pictures of Municipal taken from her East side (probably her best these days) due the monster Bartle Hall built on her West side, so I will go back on some morning and do that.

ps
If you look through the Kemper shots, and think one might be a little better with something done a slightly different to be perfect, feel free to ask, and I will run by there again and take a couple more.

STONES!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-05 01:25 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: January 5, 2013 02:01

thank you TK - and MKC - forget about it - you freaking rock, brother

Date: January 5, 2013 02:03

hbwriter

smiling smiley My Pleasure hb

Date: January 5, 2013 02:07

Max'sKansasCity
hbwriter

hey you got what i sent via email? was that the right address?

Date: January 5, 2013 02:13

hbwriter
Max'sKansasCity
hbwriter

smiling smiley smileys with beer I just did, I dont usually check that account until someone says to...
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! smileys with beer

I am not sure what the pix look like to you, I think some of the free photo services force a reduction, Im not sure how it works ( like if you can get a full sized shots) so if you need a full size, let me know I will send them to you.

btw- I love that old building... even the steps leading up to the doors.... so so so so many many many good times... 100s of concerts.... even the pictures of the stairs brings back the anticipation of the impending ROCK SHOW!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-05 02:20 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: January 5, 2013 02:17

Max'sKansasCity
hbwriter
Max'sKansasCity
hbwriter

smiling smiley smileys with beer I just did, I dony usually check that account until someone say to...
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! smileys with beer
smiling smiley

Date: January 5, 2013 02:21

I am not sure what the pix look like to you, I think some of the free photo services force a reduction, Im not sure how it works ( like if you can get a full sized shots) so if you need a full size, let me know I will send them to you.

btw- I love that old building... even the steps leading up to the doors.... so so so so many many many good times... 100s of concerts.... even the pictures of the stairs brings back the anticipation of the impending ROCK SHOW!

Date: January 5, 2013 02:26

i think i managed to grab it ok - if you sign in it seems to allow - and yeah, i was staring at a shot thinking about that - whenever i go to nyc and see the garden - my brain just becomes a slide show of the past - i hear old friends, i hear the barkers, i get the excitement - i just remember the special madness of every show - arenas do that to us, huh? these big important places that hold all that ghost noise - and all of our youth - what are the three or four best shows you saw in that very building?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-05 02:27 by hbwriter.

Date: January 5, 2013 02:45

what are the three or four best shows you saw in that very building?

Years ago it became a top 20-30 thing... because there became so many BEST show... Pink Floyd with the flying pig in 77, The WHO with the Pretenders, Rod The Bod many times, Fleetwood Mac (Tusk tour), Van Halen back in the heyday, Deep Purple with Richie Blackmore blazing the LAZY licks 4 feet from my face, AC/DC's cannons blasting that they salute us!!! from front row, Slash stepping down to bend his stings in front of my face and then zinging a pick right into my chest Ted Nugent/Scorpions/DefLeppard on Def's first tour, Metallica, Stevie Nicks 4-5 times, The Stones 2 times at Kemper, AC/DC's money dropping from the ceiling on Money Talks, MotleyfkgCrue blowing the roof off... smiling smiley I could on and on.... and not even counting fun throw away shows like The Go Gos/flock of Seagulls... ro other gone awayt acts..... man so many concerts, and priced at 7-10 or 15-20.... and we usually always sat in the first 5 row, and front row a lot.... or if not, we were just left or right stage balconey (sections 101 or 121 blazed in my head) and I have pictures of a lot of them.

Then there was The KC blades IHL hockey team (farm team of the Sharks) that I owned season tickets for 5 years (the only season tickets I ever owned)WE were on the glass, on the aisle, on the side by the goal... it was spectacualr for only about $20.00 (parking and 2 tickets) per game.... and one year they won the whole thing when we had Arturs Irbe as our goalee... and I would scream OKAAAAAAAAAY IRRRRRRBBBEEEEE!!!!

And I would go back and relive it all... in a split second I would.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-05 02:50 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: January 5, 2013 03:08

Max'sKansasCity
what are the three or four best shows you saw in that very building?

Years ago it became a top 20-30 thing... because there became so many BEST show... Pink Floyd with the flying pig in 77, The WHO with the Pretenders, Rod The Bod many times, Fleetwood Mac (Tusk tour), Van Halen back in the heyday, Deep Purple with Richie Blackmore blazing the LAZY licks 4 feet from my face, AC/DC's cannons blasting that they salute us!!! from front row, Slash stepping down to bend his stings in front of my face and then zinging a pick right into my chest Ted Nugent/Scorpions/DefLeppard on Def's first tour, Metallica, Stevie Nicks 4-5 times, The Stones 2 times at Kemper, AC/DC's money dropping from the ceiling on Money Talks, MotleyfkgCrue blowing the roof off... smiling smiley I could on and on.... and not even counting fun throw away shows like The Go Gos/flock of Seagulls... ro other gone awayt acts..... man so many concerts, and priced at 7-10 or 15-20.... and we usually always sat in the first 5 row, and front row a lot.... or if not, we were just left or right stage balconey (sections 101 or 121 blazed in my head) and I have pictures of a lot of them.

Then there was The KC blades IHL hockey team (farm team of the Sharks) that I owned season tickets for 5 years (the only season tickets I ever owned)WE were on the glass, on the aisle, on the side by the goal... it was spectacualr for only about $20.00 (parking and 2 tickets) per game.... and one year they won the whole thing when we had Arturs Irbe as our goalee... and I would scream OKAAAAAAAAAY IRRRRRRBBBEEEEE!!!!

And I would go back and relive it all... in a split second I would.

THAT is why I asked you - beautiful stuff, man

Date: January 5, 2013 10:53

beautiful stuff, man

drinking smiley RnR!!!smileys with beer

Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981 - now available
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 5, 2013 14:14

hbwriter
Next site of the day -

Sumet-Bernet Studios
7027 Twin Hills Avenue
Dallas

This has long puzzled me - they call a last minute rehearsal to tighten up for the filming in Texas - they're incorporating Dead Flowers into the set for just two shows, yet they don't seem to rehearse it - or if so - it's never been included on any of the boots. Then they play it, film it, and it becomes standard-like for many of us, tight as a drum, soaring, even, and long before we ever saw the Marquee version. Then it's gone again, until Knebworth. Could they have gotten away with not rehearsing it? Was it just that easy a song for them to call up? Or are there more to the session tapes? And at 3:23, is that perhaps Jagger cueing Richards to the lyric tweak in the last chorus (US Mail, Say it with...) because they have not been playing the song and want to get it right for posterity? (at 3:30, I think you actually see Jagger say clearly "Say it with Dead Flowers")

The rehearsals are described in Stanly Booths book if I recall correctly. They ran throughout the night for about 12 hrs, with members dropping in and out the rehearsals. The main purpose was to rehearse tracks to be played at the shows that where filmed, and both Sweet Black Angel and Dead Flowers where rehearsed and played the next day. There's a 20 seconds snippet of the guitar riff to SBA on the boot, but nothing of Dead Flowers.

Mathijs

Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981 - now available
Date: January 5, 2013 16:47

Mathijs
hbwriter
Next site of the day -

Sumet-Bernet Studios
7027 Twin Hills Avenue
Dallas

This has long puzzled me - they call a last minute rehearsal to tighten up for the filming in Texas - they're incorporating Dead Flowers into the set for just two shows, yet they don't seem to rehearse it - or if so - it's never been included on any of the boots. Then they play it, film it, and it becomes standard-like for many of us, tight as a drum, soaring, even, and long before we ever saw the Marquee version. Then it's gone again, until Knebworth. Could they have gotten away with not rehearsing it? Was it just that easy a song for them to call up? Or are there more to the session tapes? And at 3:23, is that perhaps Jagger cueing Richards to the lyric tweak in the last chorus (US Mail, Say it with...) because they have not been playing the song and want to get it right for posterity? (at 3:30, I think you actually see Jagger say clearly "Say it with Dead Flowers")

The rehearsals are described in Stanly Booths book if I recall correctly. They ran throughout the night for about 12 hrs, with members dropping in and out the rehearsals. The main purpose was to rehearse tracks to be played at the shows that where filmed, and both Sweet Black Angel and Dead Flowers where rehearsed and played the next day. There's a 20 seconds snippet of the guitar riff to SBA on the boot, but nothing of Dead Flowers.

Mathijs

M-which Booth book? In Adventures he only details '69, not '72 - you mean Greenfield?

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: January 5, 2013 18:41

Dear HB
I've just read thru this thread and brought smiles as I read about Murry the K(aka the 5th Beatle), listenned all the time in early 60s and during the Beatles entry in US.and early British invasion..He used to talk about a new band in England called The Rolling Stones, sometime in spring/summer of 64 I heard "Tell Me & Not Fade Away" on WINS, that was it from that day till this morning...I was backstage in a tv studio in Brooklyn when the band played on Hullabaloo ( or Shindig, I forget which is which), Barry McGuire one hit wonder with "Eve of Destruction" was the MC..
In 1966 I saw the band chopper into the old Forrest Hills Tennis stadium which no longer stands.The crowd rushed onto the field and they had to chopper out.
dont have a kindle or reader but enjoy everything posted here.
best
RB

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 5, 2013 19:27

hbwriter
thanks, man! working on the second part now - through 2012 - which I was not gonna do, but the publisher has really encouraged me on because the response to this one has been strong -

Congrats on your new book. Are you going to include the 1989 rehearsals in Washington, Conn (Wykeham Rise, a former boarding school for girls) in part 2?

[www.nytimes.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

I believe this is the location:

[binged.it]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 5, 2013 22:17

hbwriter
His Majesty
mitchmitchell
What was the name of this famous London park and how long did they have to sleep in the park?

It's a bench on the Chelsea Embankment . grinning smiley

They look a bit fancier these days.

[www.tubewalker.com]

is that the actual site of that very bench?

I don't think it is, there's quite a few along the embankment.

Date: January 6, 2013 01:15

2000 LYFH
hbwriter
thanks, man! working on the second part now - through 2012 - which I was not gonna do, but the publisher has really encouraged me on because the response to this one has been strong -

Congrats on your new book. Are you going to include the 1989 rehearsals in Washington, Conn (Wykeham Rise, a former boarding school for girls) in part 2?

[www.nytimes.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

yes, it is in there - thanks for this

I believe this is the location:

[binged.it]

Date: January 6, 2013 01:20

in franklin canyon today - my son and i were hiking = -shooting some photos around LA - this semi-blurry b/w shot is a Bob Bonis outtake the day they shot the BIG HITS cover - we found the actual rock they posed up against - as well today - after some serious sleuthing - I have located the Beggar's Banquet bathroom site (sadly, it is gone)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 01:21 by hbwriter.

Date: January 6, 2013 01:27

Also - odd as this may look - we think we figured this out - after consulting with a park ranger/historian and learning about how the water levels have changed and the water power structures have been removed, we're fairly certain this is the spot - the water line in 1965 would have crept up to about where the concrete starts

In this alt. image - you can see the red wood grove to the right - the only part of the park where they grow like this - and you can see them in today's shot, at right. The terrain has been radically altered since the Stones were here with Guy Webster.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 01:30 by hbwriter.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 6, 2013 01:32

Gotta admit HB, I wasn't so into this thread when it first popped up, but it's really sucked me in...great stuff. Do you know if the book will be available on NOOK?

Nice that you're traveling with your son, he's a good looking boy...must get it from his Mom, huh? grinning smiley

Date: January 6, 2013 01:35

latebloomer
Gotta admit HB, I wasn't so into this thread when it first popped up, but it's really sucked me in...great stuff. Do you know if the book will be available on NOOK?

Nice that you're traveling with your son, he's a good looking boy...must get it from his Mom, huh? grinning smiley

gets EVERYTHING from his mom smiling smiley I just got lucky. Yeah, will be on Nook after the 90-day amazon exclusive- so late Feb or so

Date: January 6, 2013 01:36

RockinBud
Dear HB
I've just read thru this thread and brought smiles as I read about Murry the K(aka the 5th Beatle), listenned all the time in early 60s and during the Beatles entry in US.and early British invasion..He used to talk about a new band in England called The Rolling Stones, sometime in spring/summer of 64 I heard "Tell Me & Not Fade Away" on WINS, that was it from that day till this morning...I was backstage in a tv studio in Brooklyn when the band played on Hullabaloo ( or Shindig, I forget which is which), Barry McGuire one hit wonder with "Eve of Destruction" was the MC..
In 1966 I saw the band chopper into the old Forrest Hills Tennis stadium which no longer stands.The crowd rushed onto the field and they had to chopper out.
dont have a kindle or reader but enjoy everything posted here.
best
RB

wow - you were at that hullabloo? I've got the Midwood (Brooklyn) studio in the book

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 01:36 by hbwriter.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 6, 2013 01:39

hbwriter
latebloomer

gets EVERYTHING from his mom smiling smiley I just got lucky. Yeah, will be on Nook after the 90-day amazon exclusive- so late Feb or so

LOL, I suspect your wife feels the same way.

I'll look for it in the spring, hope it does well for you.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home