Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: Moonlight Miles - A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 31, 2012 21:14

Another site from the book -

McDowell Mountains
20 miles Northeast of Phoenix
In December 1965, just after finishing the band’s American tour, Keith Richards (along with several friends) visited McDowell Mountain Ranch Park just outside of Phoenix to ride horses and camp out along the lower Verde River basin for a taste of the great American west and outdoors (just several days before the rural High Tides pics were shot back in LA at Franklin Canyon)

(pic is I believe by Gered Mankowitz)

Where it gets really interesting: from a public real estate listing:
10767 N. Caribbean Lane in Mcdowell Mountain Ranch
Buyer Name: Angela Richards, Keith Richards
Seller Name: Sarah J Boyd
Sale Price: $370,000
Date: March 2, 2011

SO... evidently this place must have made some impression on Richards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-31 21:14 by hbwriter.

Re: Moonlight Miles - A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 31, 2012 21:25

hbwriter
Another site from the book -

McDowell Mountains
20 miles Northeast of Phoenix
In December 1965, just after finishing the band’s American tour, Keith Richards (along with several friends) visited McDowell Mountain Ranch Park just outside of Phoenix to ride horses and camp out along the lower Verde River basin for a taste of the great American west and outdoors (just several days before the rural High Tides pics were shot back in LA at Franklin Canyon)

(pic is I believe by Gered Mankowitz)

Where it gets really interesting: from a public real estate listing:
10767 N. Caribbean Lane in Mcdowell Mountain Ranch
Buyer Name: Angela Richards, Keith Richards
Seller Name: Sarah J Boyd
Sale Price: $370,000
Date: March 2, 2011

SO... evidently this place must have made some impression on Richards.

That's very cool hbwriter, thanks. I've been to the McDowell Mountain park, it's beautiful. Keith...once a cowboy, always a cowboy.

Date: December 31, 2012 23:58

LB- I've hiked there, too - beautiful spot. I like these sites; the less-obvious Stones landmarks - makes you realize just how many miles they've covered and things they've done -

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: January 1, 2013 01:19

What was the name of this famous London park and how long did they have to sleep in the park?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-01 01:21 by mitchmitchell.

Date: January 1, 2013 07:22

now available on amazon.uk

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Date: January 1, 2013 07:54

Rare images of the Stones at WINS with Murray the K - see previous post for details/photo of location today

Date: January 1, 2013 19:57

site for the day - the band's view from where the stage sat at Altamont - the white bucket looking thing at left background to left of my son is approx. site of where meredith hunter was stabbed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-01 19:59 by hbwriter.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: January 1, 2013 20:19

Great book - I put it on my Kindle. Excellent work. Thank you for your research! smoking smiley

Date: January 1, 2013 20:24

thanks, man! working on the second part now - through 2012 - which I was not gonna do, but the publisher has really encouraged me on because the response to this one has been strong -

Date: January 2, 2013 20:49

Site of the day

Municipal Auditorium
301 West 13th Street
Kansas City, Missouri
Municipal Auditorium was constructed in 1934 as part of a "Ten Year Plan" championed by various local politicians including Harry S. Truman. The Stones paid a visit here on June 22, 1972. This is where famed writer Truman Capote joined the tour and it was also at this show that Annie Leibovitz shot the now famous shot of Keith Richards backstage, exhausted and completely spent.

The place:

The famed Annie Leibovitz photo

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: January 3, 2013 00:46

hbwriter
thanks, man! working on the second part now - through 2012 - which I was not gonna do, but the publisher has really encouraged me on because the response to this one has been strong -
Great news Chris,looking forward to part deuce..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: January 3, 2013 02:44

ROPENI
hbwriter
Great news Chris,looking forward to part deuce..

Thanks, man - what an interesting well to have started digging - every day I learn a little more about these guys that just blows me away.

FYI will be on WBX radio in boston this saturday night talking about it - 10 PM PST - can listen here -
[betaplayer.radio.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 3, 2013 03:54

mitchmitchell
What was the name of this famous London park and how long did they have to sleep in the park?

It's a bench on the Chelsea Embankment . grinning smiley

They look a bit fancier these days.

[www.tubewalker.com]

Posted by: mitchmitchell ()
Date: January 3, 2013 04:37

Wow, that is amazing that you could locate that bench! I shall be sending you a $10 gift certificate to Burger King by parcel post.

Date: January 3, 2013 04:51

His Majesty
mitchmitchell

It's a bench on the Chelsea Embankment . grinning smiley

They look a bit fancier these days.

[www.tubewalker.com]

is that the actual site of that very bench?

Date: January 3, 2013 05:06

I am this time waiting to have a new computer sent to me. I will then get a kindle and this book. With each new post I am amazed at the work you are doing.
The white bucket alone is...it's almost spooky.

Date: January 3, 2013 05:15

Palace Revolution 2000
I am this time waiting to have a new computer sent to me. I will then get a kindle and this book. With each new post I am amazed at the work you are doing.
The white bucket alone is...it's almost spooky.

many of these spots feel sort of haunting to me, too - it's weird the emotional attachment we might have with an image - then you step into that scene, literally, and it sort of demystifies it - makes it real. also, check your email, sent ya a note

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-03 05:16 by hbwriter.

Date: January 3, 2013 05:23

You're a class act Chris.

Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981 - now available
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 3, 2013 05:47

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-03 05:49 by tatters.

Re: A Guide To Rolling Stones Landmarks Across America, 1964-1981 - now available
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 3, 2013 05:50

hbwriter
Another fun Stones geographic fact for the day -

This is the oldest existing venue they've played in the US - Barton Hall, Ithaca College, upstate NY - built in 1914

Fenway Park opened in 1912. Carnegie Hall was built in 1891.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-03 06:04 by tatters.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 3, 2013 06:18

hbwriter
Site of the day

Municipal Auditorium
301 West 13th Street
Kansas City, Missouri
Municipal Auditorium was constructed in 1934 as part of a "Ten Year Plan" championed by various local politicians including Harry S. Truman. The Stones paid a visit here on June 22, 1972.

For Stones/NCAA Basketball fans this building holds quite a NCAA Basketball tournament history also. I suppose it was the central/crossroads of The U.S.A. location (and the close by Union Staion(trains))... but back in the day.... "As of 2007, Municipal Auditorium had hosted more NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament games (83), regional finals (13) and Final Fours (9) than any other facility. The arena also hosted three of the first four Final Fours, but has not hosted a tournament game since 1964"....

Good ole Municipal still stands today, but does not host many concerts anymore.... but back in the day (actually many many many days) as a hippy kid, my friends and I would sit for hours right out side the doors until they opened General Admission doors... and when they did, we RAN!!! RUN!!! and laid across 4-5 seats (until our buddies quickly arrived to secure the area) somewhere in the first 5 rows for tons of shows... Allman Brothers, Black Sabbath, Boston, Sammy Hagar, Kansas, Foghat, Van Halen, Jethro Tull etc etc etc ... before Kemper arena was built Municipal it was THE PLACE... but it had the worst accoustics ever, if you were stuck in the balconey(which we rarely were)... (you could easily hear an echo coming from the other side if you sat in the balconey)... but the sound issues were easily solved by being in the first 5 rows. Ahhh... good old Municipal.... and the haze of smoke which was so thick after the opening act that.... well.... it was thick.

Date: January 3, 2013 09:25

Max'sKansasCity
hbwriter
Site of the day

Municipal Auditorium
301 West 13th Street
Kansas City, Missouri
Municipal Auditorium was constructed in 1934 as part of a "Ten Year Plan" championed by various local politicians including Harry S. Truman. The Stones paid a visit here on June 22, 1972.

For Stones/NCAA Basketball fans this building holds quite a NCAA Basketball tournament history also. I suppose it was the central/crossroads of The U.S.A. location (and the close by Union Staion(trains))... but back in the day.... "As of 2007, Municipal Auditorium had hosted more NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament games (83), regional finals (13) and Final Fours (9) than any other facility. The arena also hosted three of the first four Final Fours, but has not hosted a tournament game since 1964"....

Good ole Municipal still stands today, but does not host many concerts anymore.... but back in the day (actually many many many days) as a hippy kid, my friends and I would sit for hours right out side the doors until they opened General Admission doors... and when they did, we RAN!!! RUN!!! and laid across 4-5 seats (until our buddies quickly arrived to secure the area) somewhere in the first 5 rows for tons of shows... Allman Brothers, Black Sabbath, Boston, Sammy Hagar, Kansas, Foghat, Van Halen, Jethro Tull etc etc etc ... before Kemper arena was built Municipal it was THE PLACE... but it had the worst accoustics ever, if you were stuck in the balconey(which we rarely were)... (you could easily hear an echo coming from the other side if you sat in the balconey)... but the sound issues were easily solved by being in the first 5 rows. Ahhh... good old Municipal.... and the haze of smoke which was so thick after the opening act that.... well.... it was thick.

fantastic memories, MKC - thank you for filling in those blanks - great stuff - similar to that other post of yours a few months ago - you have a real knack for capturing the concert experiences of your youth - you put us right there

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-03 09:29 by hbwriter.

Date: January 3, 2013 09:27

tatters
hbwriter
Another fun Stones geographic fact for the day -

This is the oldest existing venue they've played in the US - Barton Hall, Ithaca College, upstate NY - built in 1914

Fenway Park opened in 1912. Carnegie Hall was built in 1891.

tatters - great catches thanks - I had those flagged for revision - I think I found one more too - an old vaudeville house in (I think) rhode island

Date: January 3, 2013 09:50

One very tough place to locate - but looks like i have it - the spot where Brian bought what he thought was genuine Nazi regalia - from a storefront on Hollywood Boulevard. The dealer, as it turned out, was manufacturing all of the stuff himself, a total fraud, and was eventually found dead with 28 bullet holes in him - but Brian shopped there in the mid-1960s and you may remember the infamous shots of him donning the gear with Anita.A pal of mine who runs a military collectibles place right here in HB thinks he has the location pegged - his TV show, Combat Cash, is pretty entertaining - here's a piece i wrote about him a while back - interesting guy -

[articles.hbindependent.com]

Date: January 3, 2013 10:10

hbwriter
fantastic memories, MKC - thank you for filling in those blanks - great stuff - similar to that other post of yours a few months ago - you have a real knack for capturing the concert experiences of your youth - you put us right there

My pleasure to post hb, those are some great memories... I could go on and on... I loved those days... it was so much fun... we conquered it! We owned the front row (well at least something in front 5 rows/center.... over and over, one way or another, for a long time... back then it was THE THING to do. We loved them and they loved us, all of those rockers did. I never met them, or went back stage, I didnt want to... but WE ROCKED THEM out front! KC ROCKED THEM AND THEY ROCKED US!! (you can ask em, we had a blast together) winking smiley

I dont think I have ever seen you say anything, but if you could use some picture of any local KC venues (like Kemper or Municipal) for your book, I could save you a trip... feel free to ask and give me some time and when I am close to those places, I will snap a couple of pictures and give them to you to use for whatever you need, for free. Im Happy to help out a fellow IORRer.

Date: January 3, 2013 10:19

Max'sKansasCity
hbwriter

My pleasure to post hb, those are some great memories... I could go on and on... I loved those days... it was so much fun... we conquered it! We owned the front row (well at least something in front 5 rows/center.... over and over, one way or another, for a long time... back then it was THE THING to do. We loved them and they loved us, all of those rockers did. I never met them, or went back stage, I didnt want to... but WE ROCKED THEM out front! KC ROCKED THEM AND THEY ROCKED US!! (you can ask em, we had a blast together) winking smiley

I dont think I have ever seen you say anything, but if you could use some picture of any local KC venues (like Kemper or Municipal) for your book, I could save you a trip... feel free to ask and give me some time and when I am close to those places, I will snap a couple of pictures and give them to you to use for whatever you need, for free. Im Happy to help out a fellow IORRer.

thanks, bro - by all means if you roll through town grab the shots - I appreciate that. And yeah, that pre-corporate era you describe so well is really the golden age of concerts I think - still some spontaneity, unpredictability, no looking up set lists before - that pre mtv era when there was some mystique and danger - and wild fun.many musicians i talk to from that era usually cite the fact that the midwest crowds were usually far crazier and plugged in than on the coasts - that it was looser, less about how you looked and all about how you felt -

Date: January 3, 2013 10:53

hbwriter
Max'sKansasCity
hbwriter

thanks, bro - by all means if you roll through town grab the shots - I appreciate that. And yeah, that pre-corporate era you describe so well is really the golden age of concerts I think - still some spontaneity, unpredictability, no looking up set lists before - that pre mtv era when there was some mystique and danger - and wild fun.many musicians i talk to from that era usually cite the fact that the midwest crowds were usually far crazier and plugged in than on the coasts - that it was looser, less about how you looked and all about how you felt -

Right on man smiling smiley They sure told us that at the shows...

I will snap some pictures... Is Kemper and Municipal all you need?

Date: January 3, 2013 16:41

Max'sKansasCity
hbwriter
Max'sKansasCity
hbwriter

Right on man smiling smiley They sure told us that at the shows...

I will snap some pictures... Is Kemper and Municipal all you need?

that would be fantastic, man

Date: January 3, 2013 17:00

ABC-TV Center Studios
4151 Prospect Avenue
Hollywood
The 23-acre studio lot on Prospect Avenue, which is now the ABC Television Center, opened in 1912 as Vitagraph Studios. In May of 1965, the Rolling Stones appeared on an episode of the popular teen music show Shindig! This was the famous episode when the band insisted that one of their musical heroes, blues legend Howlin' Wolf, be allowed to appear on the program as well. And appear he did, performing brilliantly as the Stones sat worshipfully at his feet while also waxing on about him during an interview segment. Other guests that night included Bobby Sherman, Sonny and Cher, and Jimmie Rodgers. The actual studio where the program was shot still exists today.Bit of trivia - Billy Preston was the piano player in the Shindig! house band.

the studio today:

the clip:

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 4, 2013 17:19

Chris,
Interesting developments here in Detroit regarding the local venues featured in your book.

Cobo Arena was demolished last spring to make way for a renovated convention space.

The Pontiac Silverdome, was which sold in 2009 for only $ 583,000 , had its roof deflated yesterday in anticipation of some sort of remodel despite relative inactivity since The Detroit Lions moved out of Pontiac in 2001.

Email me if you want some picture that I just took...

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1307
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home