Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

When Nick Kent told the world the Stones were (almost) over...
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:14

I finally found the original version (SPIN - August 1986) of the article that Philippe Manoeuvre had translated for Liberation in 1986 and that had been a bit of a shock...in essence Nick Kent was telling us the Stones were finished. Actually the translation made that point a bit more obvious but still what a depressing read, especially the parts about Ronnie being virtually out of the band (that part hadn't been translated for some reason).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-12 00:14 by gotdablouse.

Re: When Nick Kent told us the Stones were finished...
Date: December 11, 2012 20:16

Nice read thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-11 20:19 by steel driving hammer.

Re: When Nick Kent told us the Stones were (almost) over...
Date: December 11, 2012 20:19

Well they (Keith I think) later referred to the 1986/1988 period as WWIII...

By the end of 1988 they were talking again as evidenced by that Keith RS interview in which he recalled how Mick had come to his place in NY to listen to the album and even danced to it when Keith went to the bathroom...he then went back and slammed the door and found Mick sitting on the sofa...at least that's his story ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-11 20:20 by gotdablouse.

Re: When Nick Kent told the world the Stones were (almost) over...
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:33

Good article...spoilt by the usual bollocks from John lennon. That man may have contributed an immense amount of talent to the musical world which will last forever, but he talked such a load of shite. There always was something deeply unpleasant about Lennon, and I'm not talking about that vile midget he hung out with. He really thought he was some sort of seer who could spout words of wisdom which we all would gasp in awe of. In reality he was just a guy from Liverpool who had a talent for song writing and certainly wasn't the idol many have held him up to be. In fact on the whole he was just plain and simply ...silly, a teenage sense of humour, and not all peace and love as he would have you believe. For me it was George who was the true visionary who lived life in accordance with the values he espoused. Rant over.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:49

Thanks for sharing this gotdablouse,great read.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:51

gotdablouse

Would like to check out the Pia Zadora interview. smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:54

God Lennon comes off as so jealous. For a supposedly smart guy, he sure could say some dumb things. You read the article and it doesn't even hint at the problems Charlie himself was going through. Plus nobody mentions what a piece of crap album Dirty Work turned out to be. It's also interesting to see all the things that didn't come true. Where's that Robert Johnson movie? Or Mick's film with Bowie? A great time capsule of an article.

Maybe Mick & Keith never did make up, really. Mick realized, probably sadly, that he just couldn't be bigger than the Stones, and that he wasn't all that compelling as an actor, already being typecast as friggin' Mick Jagger. It's all been a marriage of convenience for 30 years. Not so much for the kids, as for the money.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:57

24FPS
God Lennon comes off as so jealous. For a supposedly smart guy, he sure could say some dumb things. You read the article and it doesn't even hint at the problems Charlie himself was going through. Plus nobody mentions what a piece of crap album Dirty Work turned out to be. It's also interesting to see all the things that didn't come true. Where's that Robert Johnson movie? Or Mick's film with Bowie? A great time capsule of an article.

Maybe Mick & Keith never did make up, really. Mick realized, probably sadly, that he just couldn't be bigger than the Stones, and that he wasn't all that compelling as an actor, already being typecast as friggin' Mick Jagger. It's all been a marriage of convenience for 30 years. Not so much for the kids, as for the money.

Well put, and hits the nail bang on its head.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 11, 2012 20:59

Isn't this the article that claims Keith played a 20-minute guitar solo while Mick was stuck on the cherry picker? Yeah right, that I'd like to hear.

Date: December 11, 2012 21:15

Correct, sounds like a bit of a legend to me...he says it was at "another show in Scandinavia" during YCAWGWYW.

I think something definitely snapped during WWIII between Mick and Keith, at least in the open (when did Mick start saying "Oh shut up Keith" during meetings according to "Life" ?) but they go way back and I think they're thankful to have each other.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: December 11, 2012 22:37

LOVED THIS ARTICLE AT THE TIME,THANKS FOR POSTING.

Date: December 11, 2012 22:46

SURE ! ;-) Did you really "love it" though or did you keep rereading it in shock? I know I didn't like the sound of it...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 12, 2012 00:03

Thx GTB! smileys with beer

Keith holds a strange Custom Tele, right? Looks like the bridge pickup area has been heavily modified?

Date: December 12, 2012 00:15

Odd indeed, wasn't that from the "Worried About You" video ? By the way I added the link for the French version published in Liberation - it's a pretty "liberal" translation by the Philman (as he now calls himself)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-12 00:15 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: December 12, 2012 01:00

Great read. Great find. A true time-capsule back to the mid-80's. Hard to believe, after reading the article, that the Stones are back in New York this week...26 years later...still together and singing for their supper! Thank you!!

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: December 12, 2012 01:50

Glam Descendant
Isn't this the article that claims Keith played a 20-minute guitar solo while Mick was stuck on the cherry picker? Yeah right, that I'd like to hear.

The whole article smacks of sensationalism like that. I bought this issue when it first came out, and I kept it for some reason. Keith "drove his fist into Wood's face" onstage? For playing out of sync?! Well I'll be darned.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: December 12, 2012 02:00

gotdablouse
I finally found the original version (SPIN - August 1986) of the article that Philippe Manoeuvre had translated for Liberation in 1986 and that had been a bit of a shock...in essence Nick Kent was telling us the Stones were finished. Actually the translation made that point a bit more obvious but still what a depressing read, especially the parts about Ronnie being virtually out of the band (that part hadn't been translated for some reason).

Thanks for posting this.

Date: December 12, 2012 05:21

I don;'t think Lennon comes off THAT malicious. From this and other interviews, I get the feeling he was genuinely excited about the advent of the 80's. Who knew what was going to happen? Could have been great.
He does say "Beatles and Stones" , and he was always very nervous (and right) about trends and time passing quick; leaving bands in the dust. I think he felt that Beatles and Stones SHOULD become extinct.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 12, 2012 05:47

Well he was wrong, it was probably Nick Kent that was almost over

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 12, 2012 19:05

crumbling_mice
Good article...spoilt by the usual bollocks from John lennon. That man may have contributed an immense amount of talent to the musical world which will last forever, but he talked such a load of shite. There always was something deeply unpleasant about Lennon, and I'm not talking about that vile midget he hung out with. He really thought he was some sort of seer who could spout words of wisdom which we all would gasp in awe of. In reality he was just a guy from Liverpool who had a talent for song writing and certainly wasn't the idol many have held him up to be. In fact on the whole he was just plain and simply ...silly, a teenage sense of humour, and not all peace and love as he would have you believe. For me it was George who was the true visionary who lived life in accordance with the values he espoused. Rant over.

John was a great talent, but even George was annoyed that John acted like "he was the only one who had a clue about everything - and the wife [Yoko]." (From a Rolling Stone Magazine George interview.) Anyone obsessively consulting astrologers—as John and Yoko did during the Dakota years—doesn't have a clue...

"The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves."
Shakespeare's Julius Caesar

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: December 12, 2012 19:43

Turd On The Run
still together and singing for their supper! Thank you!!
still singing for their great, great grandchildren's supper!

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: December 12, 2012 20:02

I still have this one and several other Spin issues around somewhere. It was a disheartening read at the time because Dirty Work was only a few months old and I was really into it that summer. My cynical teen self thought it was more a publicity grab by the band to hype up the bad blood angle between Mick and Keith to sell records and pre-hype an inevitable tour to follow. Unfortunately, despite the sensationalistic tone of the article, it was accurate in how deep a rift had truly developed within the band.

Date: December 12, 2012 20:15

Same here, I was really quite shocked and didn't really believe it when a guy who'd been around the block said they'd be back with a new album in three years...unfortunately for him I don't think he lived to see it.

talkcheap
Well he was wrong, it was probably Nick Kent that was almost over

Yep it seems he never really got over that article...he was doing a book signing three weeks ago in Paris and I found out by accident when I took a friend to that library that very day. Unfortunately I couldn't stay...I didn't know the original article had been published in SPIN at the time, got that info from a fan at the O2 show.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 24, 2013 22:01

Ok so who's got the bootleg of the Scandinavia show? I want to hear this '20 minute' Keith solo on YCAGWYW.

Date: February 24, 2013 22:34

Doesn't exist...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 24, 2013 22:48

Kent is a BS.

His version of what happened at Wembley during "She's So Cold" is total BS.

Failed journalist.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 24, 2013 22:53

flacnvinyl
Ok so who's got the bootleg of the Scandinavia show? I want to hear this '20 minute' Keith solo on YCAGWYW.

It never happened, just like no one punched Ronnie over that She's So Cold screw-up.

Evidently Nick Kent was such a mess at the time that he relied on other people's reports of what had happened at shows,
and evidently plenty of people loved making up complete crap to see if he'd put it in his "reviews" (and he did)

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: February 25, 2013 02:13

gotdablouse
SURE ! ;-) Did you really "love it" though or did you keep rereading it in shock? I know I didn't like the sound of it...
I GOTTA ADMIT,BACK IN THOSE DAYS, I WAS SO STARVED FOR NEWS I PROBABLY READ IT 50 TIMES.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 25, 2013 02:20

Exactly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1482
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home