Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Oasis--Whatever Happened to Them?
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 12, 2005 00:33

Right now, I'm listening to "(What's the Story) Morning Glory". What a great record, now ten years old. It's loud, infectious pop rock, but these guys squandered a legit chance to be one of the biggest bands in the world due to internal squabbling and rampant egos. Too bad. Nevertheless, this stands out as one of the best records of the 90s, IMHO.

Brother combos tend to self-destruct (see "The Black Crowes" and most notably, "The Beach Boys"), so sibling rivalry finds a way to spoil even the best of careers. There is one notable exception: "The Bee Gees", whose run was only stopped by the death of one of the Gibbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-12 00:40 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT: Oasis--Whatever Happened to Them?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 12, 2005 00:50

New album is out soon.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 12, 2005 01:18

"(What's the Story) Morning Glory" is one of my favourite records of all-time. I remember hearing "Wonderwall" on MTV and after that I went straight away out and bought the CD. I think that their debut "Definitely Maybe" is even stronger with songs like Supersonic, Cigarettes and Alcohol and of course Live Forever. Unfortunately I think the Gallaghers will not produce anything that will come even close to their previous material. Nevertheless I will always associate the mid-90´s with Oasis and the impact they had on the music scene back then.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 12, 2005 01:18

What's the Story is an awesome CD. When I purchased it back in 95, I only knew Wonderwall, but when I listened to the disc, I literally liked every song on it.
I mentioned previously that I bought the SACD 5.1 surround version which sounds alot cleaner than the regular CD version. Also, I mentioned that the drummer looks a bit like Tim from The Office!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 12, 2005 01:50

I can't stand Oasis, they were horrible when I saw them open for the Black Crows and were booed off the stage and people were throwing things. They flipped off the crowd and walked off.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 12, 2005 01:52

the Kinks certainly had a fine, long run w/ plenty of classics before they sort of lost their way (cant imagine being in a band w/ my sister tho. 5 minutes on the phone is too long - she doesnt like music either)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-12 01:53 by john r.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 12, 2005 02:05

They will have a new record out this year. And to use Liam's famous words: 'It will be a bunch of shite....'(with the extra -e-)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 12, 2005 02:45

their first album is FAR better than "Morning Glory"

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 12, 2005 02:55

I saw them at the Fillmore in San Francisco when the were touring behind their first album back in 1994. It was a great show and my ears were ringing for a day and half after! I had thought I had pulled a Ludwig Van! I didn't like them as much when the got famous and perhaps a bit full of themselves. Still, some great songs.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 12, 2005 03:44

Hated them at first, mainly because of daft comparisons with the Beatles, but also because they were Mancs (not popular in Liverpool).

Couldn't help but grow to love them however, especially as their first two albums are among the best ever made by anyone. Though the clincher for me personally, had to be Liam Gallagher offering Keith Richards out during an interview on BBC Radio 1! Now that's attitude!

Last album was excellent. Check out "Little by Little".

Posted by: SatanicFlowers ()
Date: January 12, 2005 06:51

The first Cd was the BEST!
Listen to Rock'N'Star (1st cut?)
and Supersonic and you'll
see what all the fuss was about.

The later CD's became progressively
bloated and lame...much like the
brother's relationship!

I'm not expecting much from the new CD
:<

- Thru our past darkly...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 12, 2005 10:13

Oasis.

What's the big deal with them?

Rock n roll is something more than expensive vintage guitars through orange amps ...

C

Date: January 12, 2005 10:18

Liam looks like Keith in 1968, but that's not enough. The band stinks - bad songs, Beatles reinditions and a hyped-up guitar player!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 12, 2005 11:02

Definitely Maybe is way overrated. There are some great songs (Live Forever, Supersonic, R&R Star, Columbia, Cigs and Alcohol) but also a lot of really boring ones or pure filler (Shakermaker, Up In The Sky, Bring It On Down, Digsy's Dinner). And the production sucks.
And those great tracks are a lot better live than the studio version. I never play it anymore.

Morning Glory is a Britpop classic. 10 great cuts.

But since then they constantly made the same album. Actually they made the same album over and over again. There are certainly some great songs on the three albums that followed... but it proved they are not very creative. Noel is a good songwriter, but he writes every song 10 times.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 12, 2005 13:26

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> their first album is FAR better than "Morning
> Glory"

Agree. It's basically a two records story, because all the other releases are so far worse than the first two.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home