Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Meredith Hunter one more time
Date: January 3, 2005 14:49

Can anyone tell me why someone still believe the killing at Altamont happended during SFTD ? I've seen the film so many times. Still "serious film-critics" are claiming that they have "watched closely" and they persist that the killing happended during SFTD.
I'm currently discussing with one of these "experts". The easiest thing would be to invite the guy home to watch the film again, but I doubt he'll accept the invitation.
Does anyone here know the most "authoritative" links on the net regarding this old myth ? I've checked the "movie database". They've got it right. But there must be a lot of other serious "eyewitnesses" out there.
Sorry to bother with this old question one more time. I'm at work now, and I would like to mail this guy asap. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Meredith Hunter one more time
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 3, 2005 14:58

Well the critics liked the idea of: The bad boys of rock and roll ending a decade with a show full of symbolism. The devil came down to play with them during SFTD together with The Hells Angels, killing a man, and they just kept on playing, ect,ect, bla,bla,bla. Just tell him he needs glasses.....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 3, 2005 22:49

no nervous breakdowns wrote: "Can anyone tell me why someone still believe the killing at Altamont happended during SFTD" ?

I don't believe this and never have.

Everytime I've view the Gimme Shelter movie, or listen to the CD boot, I come off with the impression that the murder happened:

1. During the constant repeats of "UNDER MY THUMB," (That song was the one that was started and stopped several times, wasn't it?) Mick even alluded to the fact that "everytime we start this song you guys go wild, or, something happens, what's going on out there, if you don't stop it we'll leave.... (meaning all the uproar and unruliness of the crowd, something along these lines). It appears, that some big incident was happening at that precise moment.

2. SFTD was early in the show, I think the Stones wouldn't have gotten through their set if the murder had in fact happened that early. "Under My Thumb" was a few songs later.

3. I think the murder was thought out and that the Hell's Angels at that time knew what they were doing.

4. Also, the Hell's Angels leader is lying through his teeth, (in the movie) he's good, but not that good at deception. He hates Mick and the STONES, that is quite apparent.

5. I think that to align the murder with SFTD was merely a publicity move.

6. The song about The Day the Music Died has many references to that concert and Altamont and the devil, fire, sacrifice, etc. which fuels the SFTD/Murder happening at the same time.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 4, 2005 16:49

Demon, a couple of points: if ANYBODY pulled out a gun at a concert & waved it around near a stage, be it 1969, 1980, or 2004 what would one expect to happen to the person? "Please put that gun down, I'm trying to enjoy the music!" I'm not condoning the Angels' behaviour, or the utterly screwed up/apocalyptic vibes at the Altamont speedway December 69 - it (the show, the film) like the Manson story makes a potent metaphor about youthful ideals & utopian visions crashing with chaotic reality. Great film, great story in Stoneslore, & things in 68 - 70 got real dark real fast. But, a guy waving a gun in a bright lime green suit, in a crowd - forget the Angels, & the metephorical baggage - why did he do such a thing (aiming at the stage? the Angels?). Did I miss a thread that answered any of these questions?

Date: January 4, 2005 19:50

I wonder who started this SFTD-link ? While looking yesterday I found this old Rolling Stone-link from 1970 :
www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5934386

Among others the journalist write :
"A white girl in a white knit overblouse grabs Hunter's right arm, and appears to be shouting at him. There is a soundtrack, but none of this can be heard, for the Stones are into "Sympathy for the Devil" at high volume. (The girl is evidently Hunter's girl friend, Patty Bredahoff, who affirms that she was wearing a white knit overblouse. She has been instructed to give no interviews by the sheriff's men, and is following orders. Except to tell Rolling Stone that she has no recollection of tugging at Hunter's arm.)"

The story of the actual killing then follows. Read for yourselves. But here you have the beginning of that SFTD-myth ? Perhaps. I don't know. "Rolling Stone" was considered a rather serious mag in those days. As far as I remember. I did buy it myself in those days - so it must be true smiling smiley

My own discussion with a film-critic/journalist ended yesterday with me telling him and his newspaper goodbye forever. It's ok if people don't like the music, but why continue for the fourth decade the nonsense of various made-up stories ?
Well, I guess we all know the answer. But I just ain't gonna pay anything to support those guys.....

Btw - the story continues. I know this link has been posted here before. But why not one more time :
film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Guardian/0,4029,1364373,00.html ( with a http:// in front ).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home