Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: Tattoo You question
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 3, 2005 02:05

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >Zentgraf AND Hoffmann AND Aeppli
>
> Those three guys are IMO the best authorities on
> documenting the Stones' recorded history.

What about Matthijs? grinning smiley

Actually, I can understand the similarity with Don't Stop. It has a I-IV chord structure with a similar-to-reggae beat.

BTW - any idea where I can d/l a copy of the SMU reggae version?

- Koen.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 3, 2005 02:40

Like I said, "Don't Stop" supposedly came out of "Never Stop." That I believe too!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 3, 2005 03:23

Demon wrote>
When I asked about it, it wasn't in yet, at the local book store, I plan on checking it out. But, it sounds like the same type of book, such as Bockris wrote. I like this reference to Keef. "The World's Blackest White Man." :

Here are three reviews, two of which are two customer's contrasting reviews on the Needs book:

(snipped)

The Polish reviewer is spot-on. The factual inaccuracies are unbelieveable at times, but unlike that pile of shite "Old Gods Almost Dead" by Stephen Davis, it's not done to mislead you or out of malice, so it doesnt really spoil your enjoyment of the book that much.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: January 3, 2005 06:00

I like the speakers in the crapper by Clearmountain.

Milo, NYC
When the shit hits the fan, I'll be sittin on the can

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 23, 2014 20:12

I once played Tattoo You in the car and a high school buddy who didn't even like the Stones said, "Is this some early-70s Stones album?" I said, "No, early 80s." "Oh, sounds older than that." I didn't yet know the vagaries of the album and thought they'd recorded it all in maybe 1980. When I later found out the vagaries, I was impressed he had sensed the datedness as a non-Stones fan, whereas I didn't as a Stones fan.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 23, 2014 20:39

Don't be surprised if you get a slap on the wrist for reviving a 9-year-old thread...though I found it interesting because I had never seen it.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 23, 2014 23:08

All the same: it's a good addition.
Meaningful anecdote...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 23, 2014 23:50

This is good, this thread coming back. TATTOO YOU has so many different things on it. Kimsey says Start Me Up, the LP version, is from the same day they cut Miss You for SOME GIRLS.

We all know it started out for the BLACK AND BLUE sessions. What has always gotten me is the sound of the drums and guitars are the sound of the guitars from BAB; it sounds nothing like a SG recorded song.

Which may be what Gazza was alluding to with how they add things over the years. The drum sound is completely different than that of what is on SG. So maybe it truly is from the BAB sessions and they recorded additional takes of it during SG.

'Waiting On A Friend' and 'Tops' were from the Goat's Head Soup sessions; 'Slave' and 'Worried About You' were from Black & Blue; 'Start Me Up' was from Some Girls; and 'Hang Fire', 'Little T&A', 'Black Limousine', 'Neighbors', 'Heaven' and 'No Use In Crying' were from Emotional Rescue.

The definitive latter-day Stones rocker, 'Start Me Up' is distinguished — like many of the band's other classic tracks — by an instantly recognisable opening guitar riff. However, it actually started life as a reggae song, committed to tape in March 1975 during the Black & Blue sessions, before being cast aside and re-recorded with a totally different arrangement at EMI's Pathé Marconi Studios in Paris in January and March 1978.

...immediately after 'Miss You' was recorded, 'Start Me Up' got straightened out. They'd been throwing it around as a reggae song, but they rearranged it and, within 24 hours of 'Miss You', 'Start Me Up' was recorded.

Bizarrely, there is this mentioned: Only 'Waiting On A Friend' was already complete.

We all know that is not true. So perhaps even Kimsey doesn't know the whole truth!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 24, 2014 01:23

Great thread. I hadn't known that anecdote about the working title being TATTOO and Mick unilaterally
changing it to "Tattoo You." In a way, the different titles reflects each of these guy's individual brand
of "cool."

Both are cool titles, but --to me-- TATTOO is a timeless cool, and TATTOO YOU is more aligned with the
cool of the late '70s early '80s -- it's slightly edgier in a punk/new wave kinda way, contains a challenge,
and has an "artfulness" to it -- it's not something you'd have heard before. Whereas TATTOO on its
own is direct and elegant.

- swiss

Date: August 24, 2014 01:28

And yet Tattoo You sounds very coherent, and not like a grab bag of leftovers from many years before.

Date: August 24, 2014 04:08

I'm with Keith on this one, "Tattoo" would have been a better title.

Hey, "Abbey Road" was going to be called "Everest" after a brand of cigarettes, so...

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 24, 2014 05:26

TATOO YOU
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

START ME UP
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
First recorded on March 15, 1975 as a reggae song. Re-recorded January and March of 1978. Released as a single on August 17, 1981, and then released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Lead & Backing Vocals: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars & Backing Vocals: Keith Richards & Ron Wood, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman.

HANG FIRE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded June thru August of 1979. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981. Released as a US single in April of 1982.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Wood, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Piano: Ian Stewart, Backing Vocals: Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Mick Jagger.

SLAVE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in January & February 1975, & June 1981. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Organ: Billy Preston, Saxophone: Sonny Rollins, Backing Vocals: Mick Jagger & Pete Townshend.

LITTLE T & A
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in January & February 1979. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Lead Vocal: Keith Richards, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Wood, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman (?) or Keith Richards (?), Piano: Ian Stewart, Backing Vocals: Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Mick Jagger.

BLACK LIMOUSINE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards/R. Wood)
Recorded on many dates: November 13 - 24, 1973, January thru March, 1978, and June thru October, 1979. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Vocals: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Wood, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Harmonica: Mick Jagger, Piano: Ian Stewart.

NEIGHBORS
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in October and November , 1980. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Vocals: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Woods, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Saxophone: Sonny Rollins, Piano: Ian Stewart.

WORRIED ABOUT YOU
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded December 1974, January & February 1975. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Vocals: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Wayne Perkins (Solo) & Keith Richards, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Piano: Billy Preston, Backing Vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards.

TOPS
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in November & December of 1972. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Vocals (including falsetto): Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Mick Taylor (Lead) & Keith Richards, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Piano: Nicky Hopkins.

HEAVEN
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in October & November of 1980. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Vocals: Mick Jagger, Synthesizer: Bill Wyman, Electric Guitars: Bill Wyman & Mick Jagger, Bass: Bill Wyman, Drums: Charlie Watts.

NO USE IN CRYING
Recorded June thru October 1979. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Wood, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Piano & Organ: Nicky Hopkins, Backing Vocals: Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Mick Jagger.

WAITING ON A FRIEND
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in March thru May of 1970, and finished later on in April 1981. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Mick Taylor & Keith Richards, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Sax: Sonny Rollins, Piano: Nicky Hopkins, Backing Vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards.

=========================================================

Additional Personnel:

Ollie Brown – percussion on "Slave" and "Worried About You" (1975)
Nanette Workman – backing vocals on "No Use in Crying"
Jimmy Miller – percussion on "Tops" and "Waiting on a Friend" (1972)
Kasper Winding – tambourine on "Waiting on a Friend"
Chris Kimsey – piano on "Heaven"
Barry Sage – handclaps on "Start Me Up"

Date: August 24, 2014 06:29

More Kasper Winding, please.

Date: August 24, 2014 13:58

Bass on T+A is definitely Keith.

I think the backing tracks on Hang Fire were down as early as on the SG sessions.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 24, 2014 17:11

71Tele
I'm with Keith on this one, "Tattoo" would have been a better title.

Hey, "Abbey Road" was going to be called "Everest" after a brand of cigarettes, so...

I'm going to have to argue this one for the defendant.

Whereas going with simply "Tattoo" would have been ok, it's a noun. By selecting "Tattoo You" Mick went with tattoo as a verb, an action upon the listener.

I think that if they'd wanted to go with "Tattoo" they could have made it more interesting by substituting Herve Villechaize on the front cover, and Mr. Roarke on the back cover, done in tattoo.

Actually, even then I think "Tattoo You" would have been the better title.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 24, 2014 17:32

A harsh desert world orbiting twin suns along the Outer Rim of the galaxy, Tatooine is a lawless world ruled by the immoral Hutts.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 24, 2014 18:02

Chacho
TATOO YOU
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

START ME UP
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
First recorded on March 15, 1975 as a reggae song. Re-recorded January and March of 1978. Released as a single on August 17, 1981, and then released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Lead & Backing Vocals: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars & Backing Vocals: Keith Richards & Ron Wood, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman.

HANG FIRE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded June thru August of 1979. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981. Released as a US single in April of 1982.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Wood, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Piano: Ian Stewart, Backing Vocals: Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Mick Jagger.

SLAVE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in January & February 1975, & June 1981. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Organ: Billy Preston, Saxophone: Sonny Rollins, Backing Vocals: Mick Jagger & Pete Townshend.

LITTLE T & A
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in January & February 1979. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Lead Vocal: Keith Richards, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Wood, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman (?) or Keith Richards (?), Piano: Ian Stewart, Backing Vocals: Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Mick Jagger.

BLACK LIMOUSINE
Recorded on many dates: November 13 - 24, 1973, January thru March, 1978, and June thru October, 1979. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Vocals: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Wood, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Harmonica: Mick Jagger, Piano: Ian Stewart.

NEIGHBORS
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in October and November , 1980. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Vocals: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Woods, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Saxophone: Sonny Rollins, Piano: Ian Stewart.

WORRIED ABOUT YOU
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded December 1974, January & February 1975. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Vocals: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Wayne Perkins (Solo) & Keith Richards, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Piano: Billy Preston, Backing Vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards.

TOPS
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in November & December of 1972. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Vocals (including falsetto): Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Mick Taylor (Lead) & Keith Richards, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Piano: Nicky Hopkins.

HEAVEN
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in October & November of 1980. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Vocals: Mick Jagger, Synthesizer: Bill Wyman, Electric Guitars: Bill Wyman & Mick Jagger, Bass: Bill Wyman, Drums: Charlie Watts.

NO USE IN CRYING
Recorded June thru October 1979. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Wood, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Piano & Organ: Nicky Hopkins, Backing Vocals: Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Mick Jagger.

WAITING ON A FRIEND
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)
Recorded in March thru May of 1970, and finished later on in April 1981. Released on the album Tattoo You on August 24, 1981.
Lead Vocal: Mick Jagger, Electric Guitars: Mick Taylor & Keith Richards, Drums: Charlie Watts, Bass: Bill Wyman, Sax: Sonny Rollins, Piano: Nicky Hopkins, Backing Vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards.

=========================================================

Additional Personnel:

Ollie Brown – percussion on "Slave" and "Worried About You" (1975)
Nanette Workman – backing vocals on "No Use in Crying"
Jimmy Miller – percussion on "Tops" and "Waiting on a Friend" (1972)
Kasper Winding – tambourine on "Waiting on a Friend"
Chris Kimsey – piano on "Heaven"
Barry Sage – handclaps on "Start Me Up"

Some wrong info. The reggea versions from SMU are all from 1977, not from 1975. There's one ciculating on bootlegs, and at least two much longer and better sounding versions circulating amongst tape traders. Ian Stewart plays piano on Slave, Wiating on a Friend was recorded in late 1972, and the released version does not feature Mick Taylor, Jimmy Miller nor Kaspar Winding.

Mathijs

Date: August 24, 2014 18:49

Chacho
TATOO YOU

Looks like that info was directly copied and pasted from the Keno website, without credits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-24 18:50 by Koen.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 24, 2014 20:38

< Waiting on a Friend was recorded in late 1972, and the released version does not feature Mick Taylor >

Mathijs

Is there an original outtake with Taylor available, any link ? I have never heard it.

Date: August 25, 2014 11:03

LuxuryStones
< Waiting on a Friend was recorded in late 1972, and the released version does not feature Mick Taylor >

Mathijs

Is there an original outtake with Taylor available, any link ? I have never heard it.

I can't hear him on the rehearsal version either. You actually hear the guitar more clearly on this version.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: August 25, 2014 11:41

"Neighbors" was written by Keith when he lived in a tiny apartment on lower Fifth Avenue and 9th Street. I was there after the "Emotional Rescue" release parties at Danceteria and Trax nightclubs June 1980. Keith was blasting the new album at top volume. I don't blame the neighbors for complaining! He eventually had to move out. In fact I think he began writing the song that very night, because it includes a line about "saxophone players" and Bobby was there that night, as was Ron and Jo. Keith played the song "Emotional Rescue" over and over all night, which is one reason I don't believe the stories that he isn't fond of that song.

Date: August 25, 2014 11:48

Wasn't it Mick that wrote the lyrics to Neighbours because of that incident, and didn't Keith buy that neighbour's appartment - and eventually he could stay there?

There are many stories about this grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 25, 2014 19:00

From [www.nzentgraf.de] Notice it says (unsure) about Mick T for WOAFriend.

Line-up ‘Start Me Up’: MJ (voc, handclaps)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr, bvoc)/BW
(bass)/CW (dr)/Chris Kimsey & Barry Sage (handclaps)/Mike Carabello
(conga, cowbell)

Line-up ‘Hang Fire’: MJ (voc, gtr)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (bass, bvoc)/CW (dr)/
STU (p)

Line-up ‘Slave’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/BW (bass)/CW (dr)/Billy Preston
(el p, org)/Ollie Brown (perc)/Sonny Rollins (sax)/Mike Carabello
(conga, cowbell)/Pete Townshend (bvoc; unconfirmed)

Line-up ‘Little T&A’: MJ (bvoc)/KR (gtr, bass, voc)/RW (gtr, bvoc)/CW
(dr)/STU (p)

Line-up ‘Black Limousine’: MJ (voc, harm)/KR (gtr)/RW (gtr)/BW (bass)/
CW (dr)/STU (p)

Line-up ‘Neighbours’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr)/BW (bass)/
CW (dr)/STU (p)/Sonny Rollins (sax)/Jennifer & Susan McLean (bvoc)

Line-up ‘Worried About You’: MJ (voc, el p)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/BW (bass)/
CW (dr)/Wayne Perkins (gtr)

Line-up ‘Tops’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/MT (gtr)/BW (bass)/CW (dr)/
Nicky Hopkins (p)

Line-up ‘Heaven’: MJ (voc, gtr)/BW (bass, synth, gtr)/CW (dr)/Chris Kimsey (p)

Line-up ‘No Use In Crying’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/RW (gtr, bvoc)/BW (bass)/
CW (dr)/STU and/or Nicky Hopkins (p, org)

Line-up ‘Waiting On A Friend’: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr, bvoc)/MT (gtr; unsure)/BW
(bass)/CW (dr)/Sonny Rollins (sax)/Nicky Hopkins (p)/Mike Carabello
(perc)/Kasper Winding (tamb)

Date: August 25, 2014 20:46

He claimed he had played on it, Skippy. I'm not sure if he also said he played on the released version.

Date: August 25, 2014 22:22

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

Mathijs

I can't hear him on the rehearsal version either. You actually hear the guitar more clearly on this version.

I'm still intrigued by the subject.
Can it be that the '72 track is Taylor strumming, recognizable imo, and on the official release there's a copied version coming from the first 'score'. There's only one guitar on both outtakes as far as I can hear, both contain very basic and loose strumming. Any prove that it is actually Keith on the first outtake, or is there another outtake with clearly two guitars?

Date: August 26, 2014 00:03

The "halting" licks leading into the choruses is something Taylor never would have done, imo. Those kind of licks are often played by Keith as well. Someone said he heard an acoustic on this rehearsal version, but I think it's only the same guitar bleeding through an other mic, creating an echo-effect.

Date: August 26, 2014 00:36

I have heard him playing 'halting' licks, pulling and bending between chord changes, so that might not be it. I don't know for sure what Keith and Taylor actually played on WOAF in Jamaica, but it seems that Taylor's track on WOAF vanished forever,and he never spoke about it in public.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 26, 2014 00:41

The circulating outtakes of "Waiting on a Friend" are likely from the 1979 sessions or the 1981 mixing and overdubbing sessions. Just a guess here, but listening to Sonny Rollins' saxophone (or Ernie Watts' saxophone on the 1981 tour), the melody lines being played would have been Taylor's guitar solo originally as it builds on the opening riff (something Taylor did with Keith's riffs all the time whether in the studio or in concert).

Since Taylor's complaint was never made public (since it was settled out of court), we don't know he ever claimed his actual guitar work is featured on the released track so much as he could have recognized that Sonny Rollins was playing on saxophone the solo he originally contributed to the Dynamic Sound sessions in 1972 and felt he had a right to complain. "Tops" there is no question features Mr. Taylor on guitar.

Date: August 26, 2014 00:43

LuxuryStones
I have heard him playing 'halting' licks, pulling and bending between chord changes, so that might not be it. I don't know for sure what Keith and Taylor actually played on WOAF in Jamaica, but it seems that Taylor's track on WOAF vanished forever, he never spoke about it in public.

It's how they are played technically.

Date: August 26, 2014 00:49

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
I have heard him playing 'halting' licks, pulling and bending between chord changes, so that might not be it. I don't know for sure what Keith and Taylor actually played on WOAF in Jamaica, but it seems that Taylor's track on WOAF vanished forever, he never spoke about it in public.

It's how they are played technically.

Technic cannot be the issue in this case, not even for Jagger imo smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1717
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home