Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Charie is my darling box set live CD - actual content ?
Posted by: clance65 ()
Date: November 8, 2012 07:46

Watching the blu ray at this moment. This box set, this film....AMAZING!!!

I cannot believe what I am seeing/hearing smiling smiley

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: November 8, 2012 19:45

The bonus CD recordings from the 1965 tour are unreleased versions and clearly NOT the same recordings that are available on the existing 1965 EP and circulating on bootleg. These are different, to an extent, and surprisingly in minimal " stereo ", well to be fair, stereophonic.

I'll call them stereophonic since the audience noise is definitely stereophonic. Hard to distinguish much stereo effect from the band given amount of audience noise.

A must have !!!!!!!!!!!

Date: November 8, 2012 21:54

Considering that Glyn Johns is documented as having recorded three full dates of the U.K. Spring '65 tour that resulted in the Got Live If You Want It EP (six shows total if he recorded both gigs at each venue), it shouldn't be surprising to get all new versions here (plenty of takes to choose from if they kept all of it).

Absolutely criminal to keep this stuff locked up in the vaults all this time...

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 8, 2012 22:17

Absolutely stunning stuff.
Get it today.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: November 9, 2012 01:21

I'm supposed to get mine tonight...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 9, 2012 09:47

OK OK - you guys have convinced me to buy the box set. The dog will just have to go hungry for a while!

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: November 9, 2012 09:59

The bonus CD with the 65 live recordings is great. Most, if not all, are different from what we've had!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 9, 2012 10:02

stonesnow
What's so great about the deluxe box? Is it because it comes with a vinyl, a blu-ray, and a CD or 2 [featuring the Andrew Splooge Oldham orchestra]? Well, I would only have use for the CD/DVD content, and not the blu-ray/vinyl stuff, and I have nowhere to hang the replica poster, so I'm just going to go to a Newbury Comics and get the DVD-only package at the new-item discount price--$16.99USD. As for the live from England '65 stuff, I'll settle for a $15 boot at some point. Sure, I'll miss out on that "ingeniously designed luxurious soft touch package", but the $55 I save will go toward beer and cigarettes for repeat viewings of the DVD. For $71, that box set ought to come with enough beer and cigarettes to get you through the DVD and CDs at least three times. Then it would be worth the price they are asking.

It's actually not that high priced, especially when compared to other Stones stuff, but also compared to a lot of other stuff I've seen lately. I can see why somebody wouldn't care for it. I rarely buy boxes unless I can afford it, which isn't often. I'm not buying the Grrr! box for example, I'm just getting the regular 3 disc version. The only boxes I have are Ladies And Gentlemen and Ya-Ya's, which I only paid $30 and $40 for respectively. I thought the CDs looked like good content, the Soundtrack probably has some BS tracks, but some look promising. And seeing as there isn't a lot of official live material with Brian on it, I was excited about the live CD. $71 dollars seems good to me though, another band I like recently tried to get me to pay that same price for a 3 DVD set, that's it 3 DVD's. Same price. I didn't buy it. This seems to be worth the price to me. If you don't value it as highly, that's your choice and your opinion. But it sounds to me like you're trying to talk people out of getting it just because you aren't.

As for the DVD and BluRay, I actually kind of like that it has both. I don't have a BluRay either, but I'm sure I will one day. It's getting to the point where I"m thinking about not investing any more money into DVDs, because they're on the way out.

If you want to buy beer and cigarettes, that's cool. The way I see it though, beer gets pissed out, cigarettes turn to ash. I'm not saying I don't drink or smoke, but they hardly seem like a better value.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 9, 2012 11:23

beautiful box.
have not listened to it all yet, but the dvd is in itself great stuff.
a must have !!!
Jeroen

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 9, 2012 12:22

shit ! reading you I am now convinced to spend the 100 € smiling bouncing smiley

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 9, 2012 17:17

I'm being blown away right now by the live CD - all that the package will tell you is that these were recorded at the same Edmonton/Liverpool/Manchester shows in March 1965 as Get Live, and never having owned or heard that record, I can't tell you if these are different takes - but I'm betting that the quality is better.

What I will say is that the sound and atmosphere are fantastic. This is the Brian-era live "show" that we've been hoping for as part of the bootleg releases, but are actually getting as part of this box.

At last we've got the proof of what some of us have been trying to tell you for years - just how great a live band the Stones were before the Golden Era and the Big Four and Mick Taylor were ever dreamed of.

Worth every penny - and I haven't even watched the DVD or listened to the soundtrack CD yet. The "random cel" from the film is pretty cool too.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: November 9, 2012 17:29

The original EP is actually not bad sounding for a 1965 record, but these are different performances from the same set of shows. The package is definatelt worth what I paid from Amazon.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 9, 2012 17:35

PS: 210 is indeed the number of different film cels.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2012 17:38

Mine doesn't arrive until next week...I'm going to have to stop reading this thread.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 9, 2012 20:06

Looks like I'm going to have to return mine to Amazon. All discs are scuffed up. Probably not bad enough to affect play, but if I buy a box set it better come in mint condition. Though I'm a little worried this might just be a result of the packaging, just laying in that slot the way they are. I'm worried if I return it I might get some in worse condition.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 10, 2012 16:05

My copy arrived yesterday. Very cool box set. Extremely well thought out. Watched the Bluray last night. Restoration was a great success. Soundtrack stunningly good. On a good system this will blow you away. Instruments come through loud and clear. Fantastic to her the interplay with Brian and Keith. Those guys were special together for the sound they could make. Bill and Charlie nail down the rhythm. Bill sounds so good in this mix. Vocals now synced up better than with original film. The expanded video makes the film much better. I didn't want this film to end since there was so much new stuff in there. I haven't played the rest of the material in the box set yet, but look forward to that today. ABKCO appears to have done a fantastic job with this set. Hopefully, there is more to come in this direction. If you haven't ordered this, GET IT NOW!

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: November 10, 2012 20:21

Charlie

You can listen so some fragments of the concert, although this site connected the songs to the wrong disc (you can listen to fragments of disc 3 and 4)...

Oh, this site is in dutch, so LEES MEER means READ MORE and then you'll see the others discs as well

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-10 20:25 by Sacke.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: November 11, 2012 01:22

Around and around from Charlie is my Darling (audio is from TAMI Show 1964)

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 11, 2012 01:32

NoCode0680
stonesnow
What's so great about the deluxe box? Is it because it comes with a vinyl, a blu-ray, and a CD or 2 [featuring the Andrew Splooge Oldham orchestra]? Well, I would only have use for the CD/DVD content, and not the blu-ray/vinyl stuff, and I have nowhere to hang the replica poster, so I'm just going to go to a Newbury Comics and get the DVD-only package at the new-item discount price--$16.99USD. As for the live from England '65 stuff, I'll settle for a $15 boot at some point. Sure, I'll miss out on that "ingeniously designed luxurious soft touch package", but the $55 I save will go toward beer and cigarettes for repeat viewings of the DVD. For $71, that box set ought to come with enough beer and cigarettes to get you through the DVD and CDs at least three times. Then it would be worth the price they are asking.

It's actually not that high priced, especially when compared to other Stones stuff, but also compared to a lot of other stuff I've seen lately. I can see why somebody wouldn't care for it. I rarely buy boxes unless I can afford it, which isn't often. I'm not buying the Grrr! box for example, I'm just getting the regular 3 disc version. The only boxes I have are Ladies And Gentlemen and Ya-Ya's, which I only paid $30 and $40 for respectively. I thought the CDs looked like good content, the Soundtrack probably has some BS tracks, but some look promising. And seeing as there isn't a lot of official live material with Brian on it, I was excited about the live CD. $71 dollars seems good to me though, another band I like recently tried to get me to pay that same price for a 3 DVD set, that's it 3 DVD's. Same price. I didn't buy it. This seems to be worth the price to me. If you don't value it as highly, that's your choice and your opinion. But it sounds to me like you're trying to talk people out of getting it just because you aren't.

As for the DVD and BluRay, I actually kind of like that it has both. I don't have a BluRay either, but I'm sure I will one day. It's getting to the point where I"m thinking about not investing any more money into DVDs, because they're on the way out.

If you want to buy beer and cigarettes, that's cool. The way I see it though, beer gets pissed out, cigarettes turn to ash. I'm not saying I don't drink or smoke, but they hardly seem like a better value.

Nope, I would never try to talk anyone here into or out of anything, because even I don't place that much weight in my opinion. It's just an opinion, and this is just a forum of opinions, and it's only rock n roll.

I would like the CDs as well in the package not only for the live Brian stuff, but for the remastered live Brian stuff. Trouble is, for me, I'd never buy a box package if I can't find any use for half the stuff it contains.

Since my post above, I have purchased the DVD ($16.99, discounted from $22.99) and will give it a viewing tonight. Beer's in the fridge and ciggies are on the coffee table....

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: November 11, 2012 13:25

SFTD
The bonus CD recordings from the 1965 tour are unreleased versions and clearly NOT the same recordings that are available on the existing 1965 EP and circulating on bootleg. These are different, to an extent, and surprisingly in minimal " stereo ", well to be fair, stereophonic.

I'll call them stereophonic since the audience noise is definitely stereophonic. Hard to distinguish much stereo effect from the band given amount of audience noise.

A must have !!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, i don't agree.
Intro / ENSTL / Pain in my heart / Down the road apiece are from the EP
I didn't check the other songs

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: November 11, 2012 14:04

Yeah right. You do know that down the road apiece
isn't even on the original EP, don't you?

marclaff

Sorry, i don't agree.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 11, 2012 14:25

marclaff

Sorry, i don't agree.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 15:04 by Deltics.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: November 11, 2012 15:00

Comparing the versions on "Live in England ´65" to the original EP, I think it´s like this:

Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (short intro) –
Same version

Pain In My Heart
Very similar music (same?), different vocals/lyrics at about 0.30 onwards

Route 66
Alternate take (similar music, different vocals)

I´m Moving On
Alternate take (similar music, more audible slide, different vocals, no Keith vocals)

I´m Alright
Alternate take (completely different)

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 11, 2012 15:24

There was GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! (DFE 8620) VGP, but no VGP catalog number with
4th ENGLAND TOUR MARCH 5-18, 1965
1. We Want The Stones/Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/Pain In My Heart
2. Down The Road Apiece
3. Time Is On My Side
4. I'm Alright
5. Route 66
6. I'm Moving On
7. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
Once UrbanSteel posted it here, but I can not find it on my HD for comparison.

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: November 11, 2012 15:35

rootsman
Comparing the versions on "Live in England ´65" to the original EP, I think it´s like this:

Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (short intro) –
Same version

Pain In My Heart
Very similar music (same?), different vocals/lyrics at about 0.30 onwards

Route 66
Alternate take (similar music, different vocals)

I´m Moving On
Alternate take (similar music, more audible slide, different vocals, no Keith vocals)

I´m Alright
Alternate take (completely different)

I agree with you.
Does it mean they added (vocals) overdubs back in 65?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 11, 2012 16:49

ironbelly
There was GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! (DFE 8620) VGP, but no VGP catalog number with
4th ENGLAND TOUR MARCH 5-18, 1965
1. We Want The Stones/Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/Pain In My Heart
2. Down The Road Apiece
3. Time Is On My Side
4. I'm Alright
5. Route 66
6. I'm Moving On
7. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
Once UrbanSteel posted it here, but I can not find it on my HD for comparison.

I've posted it over on Hot Stuff.
[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 11, 2012 16:55

I'm watching now, it's unbeleivable!!!! It's really cool to see Satisfaction played live when it was the hit song of 1965. The bonus material is really, really great stuff. There is a scene in there while they are sitting writing sittin' On A A Fence then they bove on to just playing and sining Tell Me and Eight Days A Week! There is nothing to complain about in this release. This is essential Stones!!!

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: November 11, 2012 18:51

The Bonus CD (live in England 1965) is just fantastic especially the final 'Everybody Needs Somebody'. This is what made the Stones, their early live performances. Don't forget that the Stones were allready a club sensation before they recorded anything, that's why back in 63 the "Pop-Music Media" complained that with 'Come On' the Stones were unable to capture their exciting performance sound on vinyl.
As far as the movie is concerned non of the audio is from the actual performances filmed. Satisfaction for example is from the 1966 'Got Live If You Want It!' LP. I don't mind a different REAL live audio on another live footage, however we all know that the 1966 'Got Live..' LP can hardly be called a real live recording. So it is a pity that they used that audio for the movie instead of the 'Satisfaction' audio from their wellknown live performance on Ready Steady Go, for example. However it looks great though.
The movie is not entirely shot in 1965, asnoted by the usage of 'Going Home'. And look carefully at the Mick Jagger that is interviewed, this Mick Jagger interview snap shots are clearly from late 1966 or even early 1967, as that was the time that Mick was growing his whiskers (he has it in the interview but not on stage or any other of the Irish 1965 tour footage) and also the subject of the changing youth culture, and specifically reffering to the West-Coast hippy movement, was simply not a topic in Jagger interviews prior to late 66 early 67.
The movie gives a very suprising inside view. It is clear from the stage performance footage that Mick Jagger and Brian Jones are the central personages as far as the image of the band on stage are concerned. But off stage it is Keith that is allready the musical motor of the band, he is either playing the guitar, rehearsing, composing new songs or behind the piano, but all the time he is into music, his performance of 'Needle of Death'on guitar is just breathtakingly hair raisingly beautifull and better than the original by Bert Jansch. And my God what a fine person he seems to once have been before he allowed that German woman to take him somewhere else. Brain however we see hardly playing the guitar or any other instrument off stage. Also we see how closely befriended Oldham and the Glimmer's were back then. Another outstanding feature is the humour of Mick, the scene in the restaurant where he is flirting with some housewives is absolutely hilarious.
I really wonder if the Stones themselves have watched this new release and what they think of it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-12 01:38 by thabo.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 11, 2012 20:45

I agree. I need one DVD and one CD. That combo should be less than $30.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: November 11, 2012 21:16

thabo
The Bonus CD (live in England 1965) is just fantastic especially the final 'Everybody Needs Somebody'. This is what made the Stones, their early live performances. Don't forget that the Stones were allready a club sensation before they recorded anything, that's why back in 63 the "Pop-Music Media" complained that with 'Come On' the Stones were unable to capture their exciting performance sound on vinyl.
As far as the movie is concerned non of the audio is from the actual performances filmed. Satisfaction for example is from the 1966 'Got Live If You Want It!' LP. I don't mind a different REAL live audio on another live footage, however we all know that the 1966 'Got Live..' LP can hardly be called a real live recording. So it is a pity that they used that audio for the movie instead of the 'Satisfaction' audio from their wellknown live performance on Ready Steady Go, for example. However it looks great though.
The movie is not entirely shot in 1965, in the Director's Cut 'Lady Jane' is used and in all cuts 'Going Home'. And look carefully at the Mick Jagger that is interviewed, this Mick Jagger interview snap shots are clearly from late 1966 or even early 1967, as that was the time that Mick was growing his whiskers (he has it in the interview but not on stage or any other of the Irish 1965 tour footage) and also the subject of the changing youth culture, and specifically reffering to the West-Coast hippy movement, was simply not a topic in Jagger interviews prior to late 66 early 67.
The movie gives a very suprising inside view. It is clear from the stage performance footage that Mick Jagger and Brian Jones are the central personages as far as the image of the band on stage are concerned. But off stage it is Keith that is allready the musical motor of the band, he is either playing the guitar, rehearsing, composing new songs or behind the piano, but all the time he is into music, his performance of 'Needle of Death'on guitar is just breathtakingly hair raisingly beautifull and better than the original by Bert Jansch. And my God what a fine person he seems to once have been before he allowed that German woman to take him somewhere else. Brain however we see hardly playing the guitar or any other instrument off stage. Also we see how closely befriended Oldham and the Glimmer's were back then. Another outstanding feature is the humour of Mick, the scene in the restaurant where he is flirting with some housewives is absolutely hilarious.
I really wonder if the Stones themselves have watched this new release and what they think of it.

Good review, I fully agree, but isn´t Anita half-german? She´s got italien spirit too ...drinking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home