Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Moonlight Miles - A guide to North American Rolling Stones Landmarks - 1964-1981
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 6, 2012 18:16

All - i'm working on something called "Stoned Across America" - sort of a landmarks guide around the States of notable Stones-related landmarks - I think I've got most of them covered, from major (Altamont) to more obscure (South Salem courthouse where Anita made an appearance after the Scott Cantrell shooting) but if anything seems like it might be worth including, and you're interested, let me know (whether it gets used or not i'll see you get a copy if you'd like - I'll also write BV about maybe getting everyone a copy here if so interested)

After this comes "Stones Across Europe" - that's when I will really lean on you smiling smiley

suggestions: chris@chrisepting.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-23 20:43 by hbwriter.

Re: Stoned Across America
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 6, 2012 18:19

let us know when you're ready to start stones across saudia arabia...that's been on my wish list for some time now....

Date: November 6, 2012 18:21

StonesTod
let us know when you're ready to start stones across saudia arabia...that's been on my wish list for some time now....

right after guam

Date: November 6, 2012 18:22

hbwriter
StonesTod

right after guam

cool. i lived there and didn't even know the stones crossed it. probably happened while i slept or something....it wouldn't take long.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: November 6, 2012 18:25

Sent a few suggestions.

Mark
The Rock and Roll Report
www.rockandrollreport.com
"Where Rock and Roll is still an adventure!"

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 6, 2012 18:44

StonesTod

lots of stones in Afghanistan.....the real kind....&^%$#@!!!!

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: November 6, 2012 18:58

hbwriter, you won't be including landmarks in Canada? Some important stuff happened here in Toronto, after all smiling smiley
I would love to compile a list of locations in Toronto that have a Stones connection. Rehearsal spaces. clubs they played, courthouses they appeared in, hotels they were busted in, etc....

Date: November 6, 2012 19:33

yeah - it's north america actually - good call - so i have a bunch of places like the hotel, mocambo, etc - but the more the merrier, please

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-06 19:53 by hbwriter.

Date: November 6, 2012 19:45

it's MOCAMBO! dammit...here we go again, munich!

Date: November 6, 2012 19:54

StonesTod

fixed, sorry, i knew that, loved that place

Re: Stoned Across North America
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 6, 2012 20:31

The Rolling Stones shot their video for aruguably their worst ever song in Ottawa, Ontario at my regualr hangout, Zaphod's.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 6, 2012 20:35

streets of love? worst song ever?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 6, 2012 21:37

Worst Rolling Stones song. At least in the top five along with Sweet Neocon, Hold Back, Back to Zero, Doom and Gloom and Keys to Your Love.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 6, 2012 21:47

StonesTod

AY CARUMBA!

Date: November 6, 2012 22:11

jamesfdouglas
Worst Rolling Stones song. At least in the top five along with Sweet Neocon, Hold Back, Back to Zero, Doom and Gloom and Keys to Your Love.

i can think of a few more i think are worse, but hey, to each his own

Date: November 6, 2012 22:23

hbwriter
jamesfdouglas

i can think of a few more i think are worse, but hey, to each his own

list please.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 6, 2012 22:26

If you happen to be driving 15 or 20 minutes north of Boston, you might want to stop by Manning Field in Lynn, Massachusetts. Until 2004, this was known as the Manning Bowl and was where The Stones kicked off their 1966 tour on June 24. The setlist for the show records only 10 songs, as it was cut short by rain and police had to resort to tear gas to quell the riot of angry fans that ensued. In the 90s, my former pot dealer used to live right next door to the Manning Bowl, and I had heard the story from his son about how The Stones had played a show there that had ended with a riot and the band fleeing in a rush. Thereafter, when going to my dealer's house to pick up weed, as he weighed my bag of herb on the balance beam he had there on the kitchen table, I would gaze out the window in wonder on the quiet empty Manning Bowl trying to visualize in my head the wild rock n roll scene that had taken place at that very location on a rainy night 3 decades previously.

Here is an account of someone who attended the show. Tickets ranged from $3 to $5.

onlyinlynn.blogspot.com/2006/02/rolling-stones-do-lynnfrom-globe.html

The opening act for the Lynn Manning Bowl show was the Boston area band, The Mods. Here is Mods member Harry Sandler's account of that aborted show as well as the Battle of the Bands contest The Mods won to acquire the slot as opening act for the Stones.

www.mmone.org/mods_stones.php

Boston band The Mods

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mods

Harry Sandler later went on to become the drummer for another Boston band, Orpheus.

In the wake of the world headlines generated by The Stones' appearance at Manning Bowl, The Beatles were considering a concert there that August, but chose Suffolk Downs, just outside Boston, instead. Manning Bowl has since been torn down and replaced by Manning Field.

www.ci.lynn.ma.us/attractions_manningfield.shtml

Opening day dedication ceremony of the new Manning Field Stadium, September 8, 2008, on the site of the former Manning Bowl, 76 Locust Street, Lynn, Massachusetts.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manning_Bowl

Date: November 6, 2012 22:29

nice story, sn...do you still have your former pot dealer's phone #?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: November 6, 2012 22:36

GumbootCloggeroo
hbwriter, you won't be including landmarks in Canada? Some important stuff happened here in Toronto, after all smiling smiley
I would love to compile a list of locations in Toronto that have a Stones connection. Rehearsal spaces. clubs they played, courthouses they appeared in, hotels they were busted in, etc....
Now that I think about it, the Toronto locations I know are pretty much well known by many people on here. If I come across something obscure, I'll post it.

Date: November 6, 2012 22:41

GC--right- but there's a big audience beyond this board, too- take nothing for granted - i'm open to any/all for review - would like this to be really definitive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-06 22:42 by hbwriter.

Date: November 6, 2012 22:43

stonesnow
If you happen to be driving 15 or 20 minutes north of Boston, you might want to stop by Manning Field in Lynn, Massachusetts. Until 2004, this was known as the Manning Bowl and was where The Stones kicked off their 1966 tour on June 24. The setlist for the show records only 10 songs, as it was cut short by rain and police had to resort to tear gas to quell the riot of angry fans that ensued. In the 90s, my former pot dealer used to live right next door to the Manning Bowl, and I had heard the story from his son about how The Stones had played a show there that had ended with a riot and the band fleeing in a rush. Thereafter, when going to my dealer's house to pick up weed, as he weighed my bag of herb on the balance beam he had there on the kitchen table, I would gaze out the window in wonder on the quiet empty Manning Bowl trying to visualize in my head the wild rock n roll scene that had taken place at that very location on a rainy night 3 decades previously.

Here is an account of someone who attended the show. Tickets ranged from $3 to $5.

onlyinlynn.blogspot.com/2006/02/rolling-stones-do-lynnfrom-globe.html

The opening act for the Lynn Manning Bowl show was the Boston area band, The Mods. Here is Mods member Harry Sandler's account of that aborted show as well as the Battle of the Bands contest The Mods won to acquire the slot as opening act for the Stones.

www.mmone.org/mods_stones.php

Boston band The Mods

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mods

Harry Sandler later went on to become the drummer for another Boston band, Orpheus.

In the wake of the world headlines generated by The Stones' appearance at Manning Bowl, The Beatles were considering a concert there that August, but chose Suffolk Downs, just outside Boston, instead. Manning Bowl has since been torn down and replaced by Manning Field.

www.ci.lynn.ma.us/attractions_manningfield.shtml

Opening day dedication ceremony of the new Manning Field Stadium, September 8, 2008, on the site of the former Manning Bowl, 76 Locust Street, Lynn, Massachusetts.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manning_Bo

great stuff!! i remember visiting here in college just to see where the stones played smiling smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 6, 2012 22:43

StonesTod
hbwriter
StonesTod

right after guam

cool. i lived there and didn't even know the stones crossed it. probably happened while i slept or something....it wouldn't take long.

When I see the word "Guam" I think "Bubble Guam".

I have no idea why and I wish it would go away.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 6, 2012 22:45

The coolest find in more ways than one would be ta track down the yella Chevy that Keith was driving in Fordyce in 75 ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 6, 2012 22:46

GravityBoy
StonesTod
hbwriter
StonesTod

right after guam

i don't all the little guamese are amused by this....

Date: November 6, 2012 22:47

StonesTod
GravityBoy
StonesTod
hbwriter
StonesTod

right after guam

i don't all the little guamese are amused by this....

I agree, but I was born this way.

====
yes I have really edited this pst 4 times

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-06 22:49 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 6, 2012 22:50

StonesTod
nice story, sn...do you still have your former pot dealer's phone #?

He's since gone legit and is now a travel agent in Florida. However, I have a hydroponic grow tank and have just ordered seeds [8 miles high] from Canada, so perhaps you can have my phone number.smiling smiley

Date: November 6, 2012 22:52

Just imagine how much canibis you could grow on a field like this

What a waste.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:17

Rockman
The coolest find in more ways than one would be ta track down the yella Chevy that Keith was driving in Fordyce in 75 ....

I think all that stuff in the door panels would be bunk by now. grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:19

......yeah the grass should be dry by now Edith ............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:23

hbwriter
StonesTod

fixed, sorry, i knew that, loved that place

Why do you say loved past tense? Mocambo is not dead.
That's like saying, "I loved my kids" while dropping them off at school.

[elmocambo.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home