Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stoned Across America
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:26

Munichhilton
hbwriter
StonesTod
it's MOCAMBO! dammit...here we go again, munich!

fixed, sorry, i knew that, loved that place

Why do you say loved past tense? Mocambo is not dead.
That's like saying, "I loved my kids" while dropping them off at school.

[elmocambo.com]

I love that film.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:27

GravityBoy
Munichhilton
hbwriter
StonesTod

[elmocambo.com]

I love that film.

So thats the gorilla's name....nice pull boy

Re: Stoned Across North America
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:34

when did gorillas learn to throw spears? these guys never had a chance!

Date: November 6, 2012 23:37

StonesTod

It wasn't a problem.

They went to the same school where the Star Wars Stormtroopers learned to shoot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-06 23:38 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:39

StonesTod

Mogambo is clearly just distracting the invaders as the spear chuckers do their thing

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:45

Munichhilton
GravityBoy
Munichhilton
hbwriter
StonesTod

[elmocambo.com]

I love that film.

So thats the gorilla's name....nice pull boy

was there so long ago it only felt right in the past tense - a more complete thought - "I loved seeing Stevie Ray at the El Mocambo" - present tense. for me, is if you are more familiar and current with it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-07 00:00 by hbwriter.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:46

Muscle Shoals was the first place I thought of. I'm pretty sure it's already on your list!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 6, 2012 23:56

i used to love the april wine live album from the el muchacho...they opened for the stones...had a cute little thank you letter from the stones as part of the liner notes....very touching.

Date: November 6, 2012 23:58

spsimmons
Muscle Shoals was the first place I thought of. I'm pretty sure it's already on your list!

it is but that is ok--good thinking - i have the holiday inn, too, that we see in gimme shelter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-06 23:59 by hbwriter.

Date: November 7, 2012 00:02

I thought El Mogambo was in Morocco anyway?

Date: November 7, 2012 05:47

hbwriter
streets of love? worst song ever?

Ha ha. Yeah, worst Stones song ever.

I love that Mocamble side of Love You Live. Too bad they didn't release the entire show.

Date: November 7, 2012 05:51

jamesfdouglas
Worst Rolling Stones song. At least in the top five along with Sweet Neocon, Hold Back, Back to Zero, Doom and Gloom and Keys to Your Love.

Ha ha. Close.

Streets Of Love
Rock And A Hard Place
Winning Ugly
Sweet Neo Con
Back To Zero
Keys To Your Love
Stealing Your Heart - or whatever that shit one is called
New Faces
Gunface

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: November 7, 2012 06:53

They played ad hoc/for fun at Ernestine & Hazel's off of Beale St. a few years ago. A friend of mine saw them - also that's supposedly the same bar where the "gin soaked bar room queen in Memphis" came from but who knows. I'll be happy to do more fact finding, if you'd like to include any of their Memphis visits.
Cheers. smoking smiley

Date: November 7, 2012 08:46

memphiscats
They played ad hoc/for fun at Ernestine & Hazel's off of Beale St. a few years ago. A friend of mine saw them - also that's supposedly the same bar where the "gin soaked bar room queen in Memphis" came from but who knows. I'll be happy to do more fact finding, if you'd like to include any of their Memphis visits.
Cheers. smoking smiley

absolutely - is that true about HTW? i heard that a long time ago wasn't sure how much credence it had - i've always wondered if they ever checked out SUN - and i was gonna include Memphis Memorial - where they played in '75

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-07 09:15 by hbwriter.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: November 7, 2012 18:47

hbwriter
memphiscats
Cheers. smoking smiley

absolutely - is that true about HTW? i heard that a long time ago wasn't sure how much credence it had - i've always wondered if they ever checked out SUN - and i was gonna include Memphis Memorial - where they played in '75
thumbs upCool! No idea if it's true about the song - local legends say YES. But the way Mick & Keith write - who knows where they get their inspirations? But it's a good story so I'm sticking with it. smoking smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 19, 2012 12:17

hbwriter - I'm on here very seldom, so just saw this post. Cool project. I'll put on my thinking hat. Be interesting to see whether that motel in Alabama they stayed in and listened to the acetate of Brown Sugar w/Stan Booth, is still standing. Are you doing only ALL Stones or also some Stones or also individual Stones? so like where Mick used to stay in Montauk, etc? Keith's old apartment with the fussy people downstairs that led him to write Neighbors? Like that...
Can't wait!
swiss

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 19, 2012 16:54

Gravity Boy, you're on fire today!

Date: November 19, 2012 18:12

swiss
hbwriter - I'm on here very seldom, so just saw this post. Cool project. I'll put on my thinking hat. Be interesting to see whether that motel in Alabama they stayed in and listened to the acetate of Brown Sugar w/Stan Booth, is still standing. Are you doing only ALL Stones or also some Stones or also individual Stones? so like where Mick used to stay in Montauk, etc? Keith's old apartment with the fussy people downstairs that led him to write Neighbors? Like that...
Can't wait!
swiss

it's a holiday inn - refurbished but still there - check and check smiling smiley

Re: Moonlight Mile - A guide to North American Rolling Stones Landmarks - 1964-1981
Date: November 23, 2012 20:40

just an update - changed the title and time being encompassed - should publish next month - have had some fun digging up some obscure places - like where they taped that first mike douglas show and where they dined with the doors before the '67 hollywood bowl show

Re: Moonlight Miles - A guide to North American Rolling Stones Landmarks - 1964-1981
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 23, 2012 20:53

How about the Holiday Inn's they used to stay at? The SF Bay area places where the Exile cover was shot are still there but changed. The 101 Freeway sign is probably still there near the SFO airport.

St Francis Hotel in SF where Keith and Ronnie had a fight about Ronnie's tour habits comes to mind.

Moonlight Milestones...... peace

Re: Moonlight Miles - A guide to North American Rolling Stones Landmarks - 1964-1981
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 23, 2012 21:08

How about the seedy neighborhoods where Keith claims he scored smack and barely made it out with his life ?

Date: November 23, 2012 21:49

Edith Grove
How about the seedy neighborhoods where Keith claims he scored smack and barely made it out with his life ?

With the bullet holes still in the ceiling.......Central and South Central Los Angeles, possibly easy drive for hb but a difficult drive back. Just don't wear the wrong color shirt.

I have identified the place in Joshua Tree part where Keith watched the sunrise. Probably the very cactii that was killed by the combined urine streams of Keith and Graham. lol

Are GPS coordinates going to be included? peace

Date: November 23, 2012 21:55

Naturalust
Edith Grove

With the bullet holes still in the ceiling.......Central and South Central Los Angeles, possibly easy drive for hb but a difficult drive back. Just don't wear the wrong color shirt.

I have identified the place in Joshua Tree part where Keith watched the sunrise. Probably the very cactii that was killed by the combined urine streams of Keith and Graham. lol

not sure on GPS - but i've searched the desert for the same thing- the boulders - no luck!

Date: November 23, 2012 22:56

hbwriter
Naturalust
Edith Grove

not sure on GPS - but i've searched the desert for the same thing- the boulders - no luck!

Still there I'll bet. As you surely know things don't change too quickly in the desert (except for the amount of beers left in the cooler.) I owe you and will try to get the GPS to you next time I am in that area if you haven't found it in time.

Hilarious that you have also been on that quest, I can just imagine meeting someone out there armed with similar photographs "hb I presume?" peace

Date: November 23, 2012 23:02

Naturalust
hbwriter
Naturalust
Edith Grove

Still there I'll bet. As you surely know things don't change too quickly in the desert (except for the amount of beers left in the cooler.) I owe you and will try to get the GPS to you next time I am in that area if you haven't found it in time.

Hilarious that you have also been on that quest, I can just imagine meeting someone out there armed with similar photographs "hb I presume?" peace

now that would be a hoot - "Naturalust I presume...?"

Date: December 9, 2012 21:39

swiss
Can't wait!
swiss

Swiss - meant to mention - something clarified for me in researching this stuff is that that hotel room where they hear brown sugar in the "gimme shelter" film is actually san francisco - the edit is weird (what else is new) and seems like it's alabama - but the nicely detailed (and always highly readable) booth book include enough wardrobe/verbiage evidence that places it in SF when they arrive for altamont - that shot of them getting into the long caddy at the hotel in alabama is actually them heading to the airport

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-09 21:41 by hbwriter.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 9, 2012 21:51

Great idea for a Stones related book. I'll look forward to reading this. Can't help with any ideas as I'm UK based and between you all you seem to be covering all the ones I can think of.

Date: December 9, 2012 21:54

there's lots of Canadian connections, especially Toronto

in 2005 they picked a private school near Mount Pleasant and Davisville (Toronto) to rehearse. in previous years they rented Toronto schools and the former Masonic Temple at Yonge & Davenport to rehearse world tours

they sometimes showed up at small clubs to give new material a test; in March 1977 it was the El Mocambo on Spadina; in 1994 it was the RPM Club on Queen's Quay (now the Guvernment), and 1997 it was the Horseshoe on Queen St. West

in 2002 it was the Palais Royale Ballroom on the lake, and in 2005 it was The Phoenix. why Toronto? they've said they like the city because people leave them alone. They've even been seen riding around on rental bikes; keith's been spotted shopping at Roots

and when Toronto had its SARS issue in 2003 the Stones showed their support by headlining a huge benefit concert at Downsview Park

"It's like a mutual respect, I've always felt that about Toronto," Richards says. "It's been our favorite haunt to rehearse in for some reason, a lot of it is to do with logistics and money, I have no doubt. You go into the Masonic Hall [editor's note: actually Keef, it's the Masonic Temple] and you knew where you were going and you didn't have to break in a new room. So it was an easy place to rehearse in and it's always been a good town to us, especially to me, they got me out of jail."

Date: December 9, 2012 22:04

Yeah, Canada is spiked with cool places - in this initial version I cover from 1964-1981 -after that I'm going to go from '81 > present. Reason I split it was, after 81 the venues all took on a certain sameness - mostly new stadiums as opposed to interesting theaters, indoor arenas, etc. That said, it all kind of matters - then I'd love to build a European edition and beyond - nothing too heavy - just a basic guide the places they touched - and maybe we can all have some fun with that one - but you're all acknowledged in this first one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-09 22:06 by hbwriter.

Date: December 9, 2012 22:05

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-09 22:10 by hbwriter.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home