Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Track Talk: Luxury
Posted by: René ()
Date: October 22, 2012 10:58

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Luxury
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Musicland Studios, Munich, West-Germany, January 14 - 28, 1974,
Rolling Stones Mobile Recording Unit, Stargroves, Newbury, Berkshire, UK,
April 10 - 15, 1974 and Island Recording Studios, London, UK, May 20 - 25, 1974.

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, harmony vocals, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Nicky Hopkins - piano
Ray Cooper - percussion

I want a real fine car, fly Miami too
All the rum, I want to drink it, all the whiskey too
My woman need a new dress, my daughter got to go to school
I'm working so hard, I'm working for the company
I'm working so hard to keep you in the luxury

And you can't call me lazy on a seven day a week
Make a million for the Texans, twenty dollar me
Yes, I want a gold ring, riding in a limousine
I'm working so hard, I'm working for the company
I'm working so hard to keep you in the luxury

Now listen, I'm a proud man, not a beggar walking on the street
I'm working so hard, to keep you from the poverty
I'm working so hard to keep you in the luxury, oh yeah
I'm working so hard, I'm working so hard
Harder, harder, working, working, working, working

I think it's such a strange thing, giving me concern
Half the world it got nothing, the other they got money to burn
My woman need a new dress, my daughter got to go to school
I'm working so hard, I'm working for the company, oh yeah
I'm working so hard, oh yeah

Now, working on a Sunday in refinery
Make a million for the Texans, twenty dollar me
All the rum, I want to drink it, I got responsibility
I'm working so hard to keep you from the poverty, oh yeah
I'm working so hard, I'm working for the company, oh yeah
I'm working so hard, oh yeah
Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah, harder harder, harder harder, harder harder, harder harder

Produced by The Glimmer Twins

First released on: The Rolling Stones - “It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll” LP
(Rolling Stones Records COC 79101) US, October 15, 1974

Re: Track Talk: Luxury
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 22, 2012 11:07

I don't know how this song came about: however, it's a rock song, but Mick sings it with a Jamaican accent, which leads me to suspect it started out as a reggae song like START ME UP.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 22, 2012 11:23

Title5Take1
I don't know how this song came about: however, it's a rock song, but Mick sings it with a Jamaican accent, which leads me to suspect it started out as a reggae song like START ME UP.

Er, it IS reggae. Albeit with a overdriven guitar sound.

Mathijs

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 22, 2012 11:33

a normal rock-beat would make this track even better.
love the live versions from the 75´s tour!

Date: October 22, 2012 11:42

Good song, but it's way too long, imo.

I like the live renditions from the 75-tour.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 22, 2012 11:51

One of the highlights of rather lame IT's ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL for me (with the title track and "Time Waits For No One"). And actually the only track in the album that sounds fresh, and not (more or less) forced and tired as teh others do (with two mentioned songs that suits to the feeling of the songs)

Yeah, it is their first try to use reggae templete (the rhythm), but like Mathijs noted, the "overdriven guitarsound" and seemingly too-heavy handed guitar work (and Charlie's back beat) over-all, hides rather well its original attempt. Rastamen surely would not be pleased... No problem, the result sounds original and actually rather unique piece of music. I can't imagine any other song by anyone being close to it.

Jagger's fresh and positive sounding vocals always make a smile to my face - even though don't know if the lyrical content is sarcastic or not - and the simple reggae-influenced melody is catchy as hell.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-22 11:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 22, 2012 11:58

Great song! much better than its reputation...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: October 22, 2012 11:59

Doxa
One of the highlights of rather lame IT's ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL for me (with the title track and "Time Waits For No One"). And actually the only track in the album that sounds fresh, and not (more or less) forced and tired as teh others do (with two mentioned songs that suits to the feeling of the songs)

Yeah, it is their first try to use reggae templete (the rhythm), but like Mathijs noted, the "overdriven guitarsound" and seemingly too-heavy handed guitar work (and Charlie's back beat) over-all, hides rather well its original attempt. Rastamen surely would not be pleased... No problem, the result sounds original and actually rather unique piece of music. I can't imagine any other song by anyone being close to it.

Jagger's fresh and positive sounding vocals always make a smile to my face - even though don't know if the lyrical content is sarcastic or not - and the simple reggae-influenced melody is catchy as hell.

- Doxa

On album, you mean? I Got A Letter was written during the GHS-sessions. Can't find that version with Keith on vocals now, though:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-22 12:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: October 22, 2012 12:51

Great album and great track! I think that more than just reggae, the inspiration behind the accent and Caribbean feel may also originate in some of Chuck Berry's character songs - "Havana Moon" or "Anthony Boy", where he "inhabits" the same (slightly dodgy I guess, but fun) ethnic persona....

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 22, 2012 12:53

An enjoyable track, nothing more. Definitely shows the ebb in their creative juices compared to where they were just a few years earlier. Ok, it’s got a fairly catchy melody, good harmonies, a clever faux-Jamaican vocal from Mick, and a decent guitar riff.

But Christ, was this the best the Rolling fukking Stones could do now that their songwriters had turned 30?

Drew

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 22, 2012 12:56

I agree with Denny.

Date: October 22, 2012 13:52

drewmaster
An enjoyable track, nothing more. Definitely shows the ebb in their creative juices compared to where they were just a few years earlier. Ok, it’s got a fairly catchy melody, good harmonies, a clever faux-Jamaican vocal from Mick, and a decent guitar riff.

But Christ, was this the best the Rolling fukking Stones could do now that their songwriters had turned 30?

Drew

I agree with that - even though I rate it as a highlight of the album, if this is 'best' they can do, compared to the stuff they just had done some years before, the artistic downhill is obvious.

- Doxa

Date: October 22, 2012 13:56

DandelionPowderman
On album, you mean? I Got A Letter was written during the GHS-sessions. Can't find that version with Keith on vocals now, though:

Yeah, on the album I mean. I don't rate so high any unreleased demos, since they are not yet 'artistic statements' - that is: something they would stand behind by being officially released. (But thanks for pointing out "I Got A Letter".)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-22 13:57 by Doxa.

Date: October 22, 2012 14:00

Doxa
drewmaster

Drew

I agree with that - even though I rate it as a highlight of the album, if this is 'best' they can do, compared to the stuff they just had done some years before, the artistic downhill is obvious.

- Doxa

Just a few months after their hailed european tour. What happened? winking smiley

I don't disagree, though, even though I think GHS was a VERY clear sign of artistic decline as well...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 22, 2012 14:22

I absolutely love this song and can't understand why it gets such a bad press from many Stones fans. For one, it is so upful, happy sounding - the kind of song you want to put on before heading out on a Saturday night to your favourite bar.

I don't think Keith ever got a sound like this before or since. It's way cranked up high, overdriven to 11 and buzzing with the joy of a bee out flying across gardens on the first day of summer. It's Caribbean rock not cod reggae which is what some detractors call it.

And Nicky Hopkins plays a real important part too in colouring the sound with that lovely high end piano tickling of his.

Date: October 22, 2012 14:25

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Dandy - where does I Got A Letter come from - which album of outtakes. How many Goat's Head Soup outtakes are there?

Date: October 22, 2012 15:25

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Dandy - where does I Got A Letter come from - which album of outtakes. How many Goat's Head Soup outtakes are there?

The only version of I Got A Letter I had heard, prior to discovering this one, was from the GHS-sessions - with Keith on vocals. I don't have detailed knowledge about how many GHS-outtakes there are, unfortunately.

This version is supposed to be from the SG-sessions, but some sites claim it's from the Black And Blue-sessions. The use of phaser leads me to believe it's from Paris 77, though.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: October 22, 2012 16:20

Silver Dagger
I absolutely love this song and can't understand why it gets such a bad press from many Stones fans. For one, it is so upful, happy sounding - the kind of song you want to put on before heading out on a Saturday night to your favourite bar.

I don't think Keith ever got a sound like this before or since. It's way cranked up high, overdriven to 11 and buzzing with the joy of a bee out flying across gardens on the first day of summer. It's Caribbean rock not cod reggae which is what some detractors call it.

And Nicky Hopkins plays a real important part too in colouring the sound with that lovely high end piano tickling of his.

And in the rest of the song too!!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: October 22, 2012 16:50

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

The only version of I Got A Letter I had heard, prior to discovering this one, was from the GHS-sessions - with Keith on vocals. I don't have detailed knowledge about how many GHS-outtakes there are, unfortunately.

This version is supposed to be from the SG-sessions, but some sites claim it's from the Black And Blue-sessions. The use of phaser leads me to believe it's from Paris 77, though.

So Dandy, we meeting up for that beer next month? Did you get a ticket? I'm struggling with my consicence on whether to blow the budget for the month and get a ticket for £500-£600, however bad it is. It would simply be a sin to miss the gig.

Date: October 22, 2012 16:54

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

So Dandy, we meeting up for that beer next month? Did you get a ticket? I'm struggling with my consicence on whether to blow the budget for the month and get a ticket for £500-£600, however bad it is. It would simply be a sin to miss the gig.

Absolutely! I'll be there for the gig on the 25th, and I've heard the Pilot Inn in the Greenwich area is the place where a lot of IORRians are meeting up.

My budget is blown for months now, but I wouldn't miss this for the world smiling smiley

Date: October 22, 2012 16:57

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Absolutely! I'll be there for the gig on the 25th, and I've heard the Pilot Inn in the Greenwich area is the place where a lot of IORRians are meeting up.

My budget is blown for months now, but I wouldn't miss this for the world smiling smiley

How and when did you get your ticket? I was in Portugal when they went on sale and no access to a bloody computer.

Date: October 22, 2012 17:00

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

How and when did you get your ticket? I was in Portugal when they went on sale and no access to a bloody computer.

A guardian angel here at IORR, fixed it and offered me one.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 22, 2012 17:23

Is this Mick "dancing" with Bianca?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 22, 2012 17:26

Mathijs
Title5Take1

Mathijs

no.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 22, 2012 17:47

Mathijs
Title5Take1

Mathijs

But I imagine it started out more like this:

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 22, 2012 17:49

best faux reggae rock song of 1974

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 22, 2012 17:52

treaclefingers

why you say that faux?

it ain't reggae. if that's reggae, then moon river is heavy metal...or something.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 22, 2012 18:25

I love this song. Makes me feel happy and dance. Perfect when i am in my down moments. Very nice tune to start a happy saturday night. I love Keith's guitar work.
I thought that leads was MT, is'nt he???

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: October 22, 2012 18:50

Great song, great album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 22, 2012 18:52

StonesTod
treaclefingers

why you say that faux?

it ain't reggae. if that's reggae, then moon river is heavy metal...or something.

eau faux fox saik.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1347
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home