Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12
Re: Toronto Phoenix (Live, 2005)
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 20, 2012 10:31

I have the link of the mp3 but I wait for the flac to get a decent listening on high end Hifi. 7 years wait, a few days more I can.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 20, 2012 12:19

The way they played "19th Nervous Breakdown" at Toronto reminds me
the way they played It's All Over Now at Honolulu in 1973.

Anyway I like it, after listening to it twice, you can feel and smell the stage.

HMN

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 20, 2012 12:42

Still not on stonesarchive.

Maybe they'll issue it as a cd, ha ha !

Date: October 20, 2012 19:46

Will they release the Toronto Live 2005 download on stonesarchive.com later for European fans as a hint on or in context of this possible warm up gig in Paris? The show in Toronto was a warm up gig, too, and Keith talks a lot about the necessity to warm up in the video about the google release. I try to make sense of the fact, that it's already available for people in the US, but in Europe people are waiting, which hasn't been the case with the releases before. Do they think people won't fly in to Paris because of this rumour anyway, so they can give it to them earlier?

Or they released it on Google too early accidentally, I mean, it's strange they didn't even report the release on Facebook or Twitter or their website yet, right? They always did with the other albums. So maybe they were a week or so too early on Google, while it was actually planned to release it together with information about the secret gig.

Or, third possible variation of a reason for the delay: In Europe fans were busy with pre-sale of concert tickets and the Hurricane premiere, while the pre-sale in the US started later, so they gave them something to do in the US in between (Toronto 2005 download), Europe will get it a little later. Still I see the album release at this time in the context of a coming warm up gig.

Keith mentions Toronto of course a lot, and Toronto isn't exactly Paris, so it could mean nothing. But there is really much talking about small clubs in the video... and it seems to be the perfect time for this release if you look at the context of a possible warm up gig now.

Rolling Stones: "We're A Club Band"

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-20 20:35 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 20, 2012 19:57

maybe mp3 link?

thanxz

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2012 22:08

Finally listening it... And enjoying a lot... What can I say - this is a club band, the gigs just got bigger.grinning smiley The feeling is so relaxed, like warming up the diesel, and not scared of doing some mistakes, or being so 'serious'. A playful gig.

Absolutely the best version of "Rough Justice", and maybe first time I see some point in the song musically. "Back of My Mind" works nicely as well. Even the fact of including four songs altogether from their latest album sounds fine, as the performances of them as well. The covers, especially "Mr. Pitiful" and "Get Up Stand Up", sound also surprisingly fresh, even inspired sometimes. "19th Nervous Breakdown" is one of their best latter day 60's song versions; finally using some creative imagination is their arrangement/interpretation. Especially Jagger is hilarous. Me likes! A bit same way as with "Get Off My Could" in 1975 or "Under My Thumb"/"Let's Spend The Night Together" in 1981, unlike the boring karaoke replicas typical to Vegas Era.

Of course, the best thing in this release is that the typical Vegas symptoms are almost absent. Which makes me almost sad thinking that they actually were a rather good band - a real rock and roll band - still in 2005, if we they just concentrate on the essential. Damn all that money and fame and 'bigness' which makes everything so damn safe and sure and boring!

Of course, this recording is nothing to really remember afterwards when the legacy is judged, but still a nice reminder that their 'old-time' spirit never totally got lost, even in their Cohlian-branded grandpapa days.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-20 22:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: October 20, 2012 22:51

^ "Back of My Mind" ???

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 20, 2012 22:57

They should have used this as a template for their shows for the rest of the tour. I feel like the ABB tour never found its identity. Open with Rough Justice, keep these core songs along w/ rain fall down and perhaps she saw me comming develop them on the road and once they got in to a groove throw in a few surprises. i think BOMH sounds better during the part when drums are minimal. if they played it all the way through like that perhaps it could have been the you Gotta move of the 2000's.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-20 23:14 by ryanpow.

Date: October 20, 2012 23:46

Handova
^ "Back of My Mind" ???

A typo, sorry. Check the right title on the set list,

- Doxa

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: October 20, 2012 23:50

sorry, nevermind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-20 23:54 by AllAboutYours.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 20, 2012 23:52

AllAboutYours
how about FLAC link? thanks

Again, it's not available in FLAC. Not available for europeans at all.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: October 21, 2012 00:16

Thanks Mathijs!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 21, 2012 00:32

19nb was one of the few redeeming aspects of the entire tour...they were actually challenging themselves and their audience....almost a dylanesque quality to it...ultimately the stones' "better" instincts took over and it was roundly dropped shortly into the tour....alas!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 21, 2012 01:23

Boy am I glad That this is the ONE bootleg that I didn't pay for.
That has got to be the weakest Jumping Jack Flash I've ever heard from The Stones (up until now it was from Shine A Light). They sound bored as hell. And Brown Sugar - Mick sounds like a duck.

She's So Cold - I'd forgotten that the band had hugely dumbed-down the arrangement (especially the intro) for the tour. I guess it's too much for Keef - he can't compete with his 1980 self, too hard for him to remember now.
Rough Justice - Mick sounds constipated, or singing like he's holding in a belch the whole time. The guitars are a mess. This really sucks.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 21, 2012 01:27

jamesfdouglas
That has got to be the weakest Jumping Jack Flash I've ever heard from The Stones (up until now it was from Shine A Light). They sound bored as hell. And Brown Sugar - Mick sounds like a duck.

She's So Cold - I'd forgotten that the band had hugely dumbed-down the arrangement (especially the intro) for the tour. I guess it's too much for Keef - he can't compete with his 1980 self, too hard for him to remember now.
Rough Justice - Mick sounds constipated, or singing like he's holding in a belch the whole time. The guitars are a mess. This really sucks.

it's better than that, imo...and who listens to the warhorses on any show since the 70's anyway?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 21, 2012 01:39

I think She's so cold holds up surprisingly well. I agree with earlier comments about Kieth's sound being muted during Tumblin Dice and Brown Sugar. WTF is up with that? They run out of gas half way through and its only a 15 song set. Its kind of an odd show but not bad.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 21, 2012 02:11

edit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-21 21:11 by detroitken.

Date: October 21, 2012 02:36

StonesTod
19nb was one of the few redeeming aspects of the entire tour...they were actually challenging themselves and their audience....almost a dylanesque quality to it...ultimately the stones' "better" instincts took over and it was roundly dropped shortly into the tour....alas!

Yeah, actually I heard more Dylan than just 'cracy reinterpretation'. Jagger's vocals, emphasizing the last word of the line, reminds me funnily of some old Dylan's manouvres in 1965/66. Which, makes me think, is that actually some kind of - conscious or not - nod to the original inspiration of this song...

- Doxa

Date: October 21, 2012 02:53

jamesfdouglas

Yeah, probably their least inspired officially released readings of "Tumbling Dice", "Brown Sugar" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" ever. Especially Keith's riffs are simply a struggle, and sounds like the man is rusty as hell. And Mick sinsg them through autopilot-like. They tend to sound like 'well, let''s play some war horses since a Rolling Stones show without some of them is out of question. Let them have them, and let's get the hell out of here'.

Over-all there is certain lazyness all-over in the show, like not trying with a full force. But think it generally is freshing to hear, and make them sound more human. Like lacking that professional attitude that is so boring and lame and teflon-like in their 'standard' shows directed to more typical and bigger audiences. I think Jagger's half-serious vocals generally have much more edge than his typical forced sounding, vocal-coached deliveries. Reminds me sometimes of 1981/82 era.

This goes pretty much in a line what I tend to like most in their late-day documentaries covering their tours; they namely sound somehow more relaxed and earthy and 'groovy' in some non-formal circumstances (rehearsals etc.) than in actual concerts. So TORONTO PHOENIX captures the band nicely still in that 'rehearsal mood'. Which I think is much more interesting than the 'final product'. They don't bother to keep up the appearances - whatever they do sounds rather natural, instictive - coming from their actual mood, be it inspired or not.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-21 02:59 by Doxa.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: October 21, 2012 03:22

Correct, Doxa.

That brings to mind worried about you on the licks documetary,when they shuffle out that night for a little practice run that gives you the little glimpse of how cool and effortless things once were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-21 03:23 by mgguy.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 21, 2012 05:18

jamesfdouglas

Weird that your download only came with 4 songs. Mine came with 15. You should steal yourself the full concert.

StonesTod
and who listens to the warhorses on any show since the 70's anyway?

You'd think that, wouldn't ya?

Doxa
Finally listening it... And enjoying a lot... What can I say - this is a club band, the gigs just got bigger.grinning smiley The feeling is so relaxed, like warming up the diesel, and not scared of doing some mistakes, or being so 'serious'. A playful gig.

Absolutely the best version of "Rough Justice", and maybe first time I see some point in the song musically. "Back of My Mind" works nicely as well. Even the fact of including four songs altogether from their latest album sounds fine, as the performances of them as well. The covers, especially "Mr. Pitiful" and "Get Up Stand Up", sound also surprisingly fresh, even inspired sometimes. "19th Nervous Breakdown" is one of their best latter day 60's song versions; finally using some creative imagination is their arrangement/interpretation. Especially Jagger is hilarous. Me likes! A bit same way as with "Get Off My Could" in 1975 or "Under My Thumb"/"Let's Spend The Night Together" in 1981, unlike the boring karaoke replicas typical to Vegas Era.

Of course, the best thing in this release is that the typical Vegas symptoms are almost absent. Which makes me almost sad thinking that they actually were a rather good band - a real rock and roll band - still in 2005, if we they just concentrate on the essential. Damn all that money and fame and 'bigness' which makes everything so damn safe and sure and boring!

Of course, this recording is nothing to really remember afterwards when the legacy is judged, but still a nice reminder that their 'old-time' spirit never totally got lost, even in their Cohlian-branded grandpapa days.

- Doxa

Glad you got to finally hear it. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the warhorses are completely dismissible---which is fine by me. The warhorses don't have anything left to give: the Stones aren't looking for anything new in those songs--and neither am I. Luckily the rest of the concert offers us glimpses of the band we used to know. One listens to this type of show...a club show, intimate setting, maybe a couple hundred people... and we see just how well the environment works for them. It makes you wonder how they could ever choose to play in a room bigger than a theater. It boggles the mind. And it's a depressing thought.

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: October 21, 2012 08:23

Thank you Mathijs

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 21, 2012 10:03

Thanks Mathijs
jeroen

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 21, 2012 10:43

Erik_Snow
AllAboutYours

Is this a temporary thing or are we not getting it ever?

Date: October 21, 2012 11:15

vudicus
Erik_Snow
AllAboutYours

No idea. The previous vault releases were available in Europe 1-2 days after being available on googlemusic, but not this one

Date: October 21, 2012 11:22

Erik_Snow
vudicus
Erik_Snow
AllAboutYours

No idea. The previous vault releases were available in Europe 1-2 days after being available on googlemusic, but not this one

Well, I guess there's still hope.
What a FLACing joke!!! yawning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-21 11:22 by vudicus.

Date: October 21, 2012 11:25

vudicus
Erik_Snow
vudicus
Erik_Snow
AllAboutYours

I think it would be a lot better if they released a different show for the Europe; 'cos then we'd have two instead of one, as installment 5 of the series. For instance the warm up gig from Amsterdam 1995 or 100 Club 1982....that would make sense

Date: October 21, 2012 11:28

Erik_Snow
vudicus
Erik_Snow
vudicus
Erik_Snow
AllAboutYours

I think it would be a lot better if they released a different show for the Europe; 'cos then we'd have two instead of one, as installment 5 of the series. For instance the warm up gig from Amsterdam 1995 or 100 Club 1982....that would make sense

That would be a great idea.
As there are all in sequence so far I have a funny feeling the last one will be one of the 2012 shows. They've clearly thrown out the "already famous bootleg" theme which just adds to my suspicions.

Date: October 21, 2012 11:34

vudicus
As there are all in sequence so far I have a funny feeling the last one will be one of the 2012 shows. They've clearly thrown out the "already famous bootleg" theme which just adds to my suspicions.

I doubt it, since all vault releases was prepared in Sept 2011. At that time they probably didn't even know if they were going to play live again.

Date: October 21, 2012 11:35

Erik_Snow
vudicus
Erik_Snow
vudicus
Erik_Snow
AllAboutYours

That would be a nice surprise. But the thing is, even though these releases do not make much money, they are losing it every day now. Everyone wanting to have this show will have it in a form or other easily... Makes me think someone is screwing up things big time now.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-21 11:37 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home