Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: OT: Neil Young presents Pono Music
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 13, 2014 19:59

I am all in for lossless audio. BUT the mastering is even more important. What's the point of having Hampton 1981 (Rolling Stones.com download)in FLAC when it is brickwalled to death with no life?

The life WAS there only to be mastered with no dynamics.

Date: May 13, 2014 20:39

barbabang
I am all in for lossless audio. BUT the mastering is even more important. What's the point of having Hampton 1981 (Rolling Stones.com download)in FLAC when it is brickwalled to death with no life?

This is VERY true !!!!

Even a standard CD can sound great or a high resolution format can sound bad ..... depending on the master source.

As an example,the Japanese M.F.S.L. "Hot Rocks 1" standard CD sounds miles better than the 1986 issued Abkco " Hot Rocks " standard CD .

The format ( SA-CD ; Blu-ray Audio ; CD ; FLAC file etc. ) is like a blank canvas. It depends what you put on it.

Some formats have a higher ceiling than others. >>>> Some formats have more limitations than other formats.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 13, 2014 21:55

barbabang

Totally true about the importance of a respectful mastering.

This said, it's always better to get get a copy closer to the source, or even better a copy of the source itself. Hence the importance of making available to customers recordings in their native format, which is most of the time at least in 24 bit.

Date: September 2, 2014 23:12

Some news from Pono Music store on Audiostream :

Pono Music Store To Launch With 2.5M Tracks

Re: OT: Neil Young presents Pono Music - Passes $5m In Kickstarter
Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: September 3, 2014 05:54

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-03 05:55 by Chacho.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 4, 2014 02:38

[www.huffingtonpost.ca]

...maybe he should pay more attention to his wife.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: September 4, 2014 16:13

shadooby
[www.huffingtonpost.ca]

Ouch!!!!!!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 26, 2014 22:45

At the moment seemingly no competition for Pono on the part of Apple:

[www.macrumors.com]

Audio Testing confirms iPh*ne 6 not yet capable of direct HD Audio Playback

Friday September 26, 2014 8:26 am PDT by Kelly Hodgkins

"Earlier this year, Apple was rumored to be adding support for high-definition audio playback in iOS 8 and shipping new EarPods with the iPh*ne 6 in order to support this 24bit/96kHz standard. Apple ultimately made no such announcements for iOS 8 or the iPh*ne 6, and Mashable has now confirmed with some testing that Apple's latest iPh*ne 6 does not currently support high definition audio playback.

With the help of audio testing expert David Ranada, Mashable tested several sample .wav files encoded at a 96kHz sampling rate with 24 bits per sample. The tracks were played using third-party apps such as Onkyo's HF music player and recordings were made through the headphone jack to determine the quality of the audio output.

The results show that iPh*ne 6 does not yet support HD audio playback, even though the audio hardware inside the phone may be capable of 24bit/96kHz output. According to teardown analyses, Apple's iPh*ne 6 includes the custom made Cirrus Logic 338S1201 chip, which is likely the successor to the Cirrus Logic CS42L61 chip used in previous iPh*ne models. Though also a custom build, the older CS42L61 chip is part of Cirrus Logic's CS42L51 family, which supports 24bit/96kHz HD audio.

It's hard to conceive of Apple either creating a custom chip that's less capable than the equivalent off-the-shelf component, let alone downgrading the audio capabilities of the iPh*ne's DAC in subsequent generations. So it stands to reason the DAC on board the iPh*ne 6 is capable of sampling 24-bit/96kHz audio.

It's possible, however, that Apple could later update iOS 8 with support for HD audio and enable the playback of hi-res music through the iPh*ne's headphone jack. Apple is accepting 24bit/96kHz uploads from musicians and is allegedly preparing to enable high-definition 24-bit downloads from iTunes.

Customers who want HD audio sooner will have to look at Lightning-equipped audio devices such as the recently announced Fidelio M2L headphones from Philips. The Fidelio M2Ls will connect to an iPh*ne or iPad via the Lightning port and will support 24-bit audio using an internal DAC and amplifier built into the headphone unit."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-26 23:00 by Irix.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 26, 2014 23:54

Stones Blah
shadooby
[www.huffingtonpost.ca]

Ouch!!!!!!

They are hanging around together getting ready for the Bridge concerts, Neil seems to be paying plenty of attention to her.. peace

Date: October 5, 2014 16:35

Any news when the 'Pono Music Store' will exactly open?

Still in October 2014 for the US , Canada & UK in Q1 2015 and the rest of Europe after that?

Here a report from 3-Oct-2014 by the Guardian about the Pono Player: [www.theguardian.com] .

Btw: HDtracks is available now in Germany since some weeks. But unfortunately at the moment not with all Labels. It lacks Universal Music, therefore no Rolling Stones. According to the german HiFi Magazine 'Stereo' (Oct. 2014, page 8) Sony Music, Warner Music, Concord Music as well as hundreds of independent Labels are available at HDtracks Germany.

Date: October 7, 2014 08:38

Glad Neil is promoting better quality digital recordings. People in the audio industry have been listening to 24 bit, 96K and 192K recordings for years. Sometimes they sound a lot better and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between CD quality.

I remember we once did a blind listening test with some heavyweight audio mixers and producers in the industry and some of them picked the 44.1K sampled music as best over the 96K and 192K sampled music. Depends on the ear, the content, and what your ears are used to hearing and even how you are feeling that day. I'm guessing 44.1 KHz after smoking some good weed might sound better than 192K straight for a lot of folks. grinning smiley

Basically # of bits represents the dynamic range and sample frequency represents the range of frequencies that can be represented.

In general it is a good thing to use as much information as possible to represent the music. Sony was moving in the right direction with direct stream digital which sampled at around 3 MHz!

I can only imagine as memory gets cheaper and smaller that even Neil's 24 bit 192K might seem a bit under-sampled some day. If it sounds so much better why not wait for 48-bit, 384K? I mean theoretically, 24-bit and 96K is supposed to cover all a human ear is capable of hearing....

And what about all the material that was recorded digitally at lower bit rates and sample frequencies? Converting these recordings to higher bit rates and sample frequencies can't really improve them unless you add musical information that didn't exist on the original. Just sayin...... peace

Date: October 30, 2014 18:57

Pono Music Store has (almost) opened...

[ponomusic.force.com]

Nothing about the sound quality though. I guess that like any other online music retailers most of the albums will be available in CD quality first.

Rolling Stones page on Pono Music : [ponomusic.force.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-30 19:02 by kowalski.

Date: October 30, 2014 23:45

kowalski

Rolling Stones page on Pono Music : [ponomusic.force.com]

Thanks for the Info.

Many of the post '71 Albums on Pono are the 2009 Universal Master .... sad smiley

A little bit OT: on [www.jpc.de] are btw 17 re-issues of the japanese SHM-SACDs available again (EUR 33.99, 26-Nov-2014, at the moment wrong sorted under usual Audio-CDs).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-31 13:35 by Irix.

Date: October 31, 2014 02:42

Irix

On [www.jpc.de] are btw 18 re-issues of the japanese SHM-SACDs available again (EUR 33.99, 26-Nov-2014, at the moment wrong sorted under Audio-CDs).

In Japan you can buy them for something like 25€... So not such a bad price for a Japan import.

Also the post '71 albums are the new DSD transfers which are the real deal to me (as long as you go digital).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-31 02:43 by kowalski.

Date: October 31, 2014 03:38

Seems like the problem with Pono might be that everybody else (Apple, Sony, et al) will probably be offering high resolution digital music before Pono really gets off the ground. And they already have the distribution channels in place to really take advantage of it.

At least Neil gave 'em all a kick in the ass.

Maybe someone will come out with a simple miniaturized analog playback system with digital features like track search and track info which will blow all the high res digital stuff away. Until then DSD (Direct Stream Digital) seems to beat everything else, hands down. peace

Date: October 31, 2014 19:29

Naturalust
Seems like the problem with Pono might be that everybody else (Apple, Sony, et al) will probably be offering high resolution digital music before Pono really gets off the ground. And they already have the distribution channels in place to really take advantage of it.

At least Neil gave 'em all a kick in the ass.

Maybe someone will come out with a simple miniaturized analog playback system with digital features like track search and track info which will blow all the high res digital stuff away. Until then DSD (Direct Stream Digital) seems to beat everything else, hands down. peace

Well for the moment there are not so many online music stores offering a wide hi-res music catalog : Qobuz in France, UK, Germany, NL... (~8000 albums), HDTracks in the US, UK and Germany (~5000 albums), e-onkyo music in Japan (~4500 albums), HighResAudio in Germany (~3700 albums)... So one more online music store like Pono Music is rather welcomed.

The complete list of HD Music Download Sites available here : [www.findhdmusic.com]

Re: OT: Neil Young presents Pono Music - Passes $5m In Kickstarter
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 13, 2014 17:47

Looks like the first models have been shipped to customers... thumbs up
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 13, 2014 19:37

Really want one of them.

Date: November 14, 2014 03:10

Pono player first impression :

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: November 14, 2014 03:49

Interesting shape. I'll need to buy a handbag if I bought a Pono.

Date: November 14, 2014 10:14

Well, I've a got a glasses case that houses Lindbergs, which is a similar shape. I've just finished listening to Harvest this morning, and am seriously wondering what it will sound like on Pono. The Lindbergs I can put in both breast and trouser pockets, so I don't think I'd have a problem with Pono, just that it should be released in the UK asap.

Date: November 14, 2014 11:25

Sony seems to compete with the Pono Player and has brought a new Hi·Res-Walkman series:

Sony NWZ-A17 High-Resolution Walkman

- 192 GB Memory (64 GB built-in + 128 GB microSD card)
- plays FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF and more
- Battery life up to 30 hours for Hi-Res playback (up to 50 hours MP3)
- wirelessly Music Streaming with Bluetooth and NFC

First impression of the 16 GB NWZ-A15 Model:

Date: November 14, 2014 11:52

First impressions on Steve Hoffman forums :

Got my NY LE Pono yesterday. Here are some preliminary impressions:

1. The Player: I've loaded and listed to a number of different file resolutions: 44.1/16, 96/24 and 192/24. (headphones used: OPPO HA-1; Harmon/Kardon CL; Bowers & Wilkins P5.) On sound, it easily outdoes my iPods and my iPhone (both using Apple Lossless versions of the same 44.1/16 files on the Pono for direct comparisons), with tight, well-supported bass and a nicely balanced and nuanced soundstage. Without wading into the usual HD controversy in this thread and elsewhere, I suspect the difference here can be in part attributed to the built-in headphone amp and the DAC used. It also sounds at least as good as my FiiO X5, though I haven't spend a lot of time yet doing direct comparisons. Where it beats the FiiO handily is in the interface and navigation: it has a very user-friendly touch screen that is appropriately sized, with good one-hand ergonomics. I don't see the Toblerone shape as a problem; in fact, for me it's an asset: it fits in the palm of my hand just right for holding and thumb navigation, much better than, for example, my iPhone 6. And it fits fine in my coat or shirt pockets -- it's lighter than any smartphone I've ever had, so that it's not a flat brick is offset by its lower weight.

(On gapless playback, btw, according to posts from moderators in the Pono Community forums, it continues to be worked on, but is a big challenge with the operating software being used. Have to think it will be fixed in a firmware update at some point, given the hue and cry on the site over the issue.)

2. The Software: The Pono software (in my case, for MAC) is an adaptation of JRiver Media Center; in fact, it's called Pono 20, which is the edition JRiver is currently up to. Since I've long used JRiver to manage and play my HD Tracks files, I found it very intuitive to use; Pono has made some adaptations that should make it easier for new users of the program to use than JRiver was at first for me, without sacrificing any of the program's robustness. I was able to populate the library with about 2800 HD tracks in about 45 minutes, and it's very easy to drag and drop albums or songs onto the Pono hard drive for syncing. (It wasn't easy at first to figure out how to access the removable Micro SD card through the software, but navigating some dropdown menus solved that fairly readily.)

3. The Pono Store: This still needs a lot of work, though searches are easy to execute if a little quirky. There aren't very many 192/24 and 96/24 choices yet, though more continue to be added daily; HD Tracks and Acoustic Sounds still have a lot more extensive hirez catalogs. (And may have some exclusives for a time, which would explain part of the delay.) There doesn't seem to be any way to search and sort by resolution level; that will need to be fixed. Pricing on hirez files seems roughly comparable to HD Tracks and Acoustic Sounds. The library of 44.1/16 files is quite extensive, including some out of print or hard to find albums, and pricing here is pretty good: I've seen EPs for $2.99 to $4.29; catalog items for $9.49 (e.g., Richard & Linda Thompson's I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight) and new issues around $14.99.

Tentative Conclusion: given the ease of use of the player and software, it appears to be a success as an ecosystem for CD quality and higher resolution digital file portable playing. Yes, that's a niche market, but a real one -- I'm still committed to a dedicated lossless/hirez non-streaming portable player, and the $400 price point is roughly competitive with the FiiO X5 (which I will now probably only use for DSD files). And I don't know of an online store for CD quality downloads in the US with anywhere near as vast a catalog; even those who have no interest in the player itself may want to take a look when it graduates from beta next year.

Original message link : [forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Date: November 14, 2014 11:53

The thing is that I can tell that Harvest sounds brilliant on my CD player, yet tinny and trashy on my IPOD. Ditto Ragged Glory, and even a contemporaneous effort like La Noise.

But then I can remember buying the 1986 London cd of Ya Yas, and finding that it was better sounding on a Ghetto Blaster than on my Panasonic system at the time.

I have a B&O system now, but seriously desire the Pono just to have my music sounding good at all times.

Date: November 14, 2014 12:35

AussieMark

Interesting shape. I'll need to buy a handbag if I bought a Pono.

And if you put the Pono Player in the trouser pockets it looks like this .... winking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 14, 2014 12:46

kowalski
First impressions on Steve Hoffman forums

Yep and lots of nay-sayers and bad-mouthers there, which is bloody puzzling... confused smiley
Are SH regulars closet mp3 fans who in fact hate HD? >grinning smiley<

Date: November 16, 2014 22:40

Slightly OT - Qobuz.com lists 4 new HD-Downloads (88.2kHz/24bit):

Let It Bleed

The Rolling Stones

The Rolling Stones No. 2

Hot Rocks 1964-1971

Also available now at HiResAudio.com:

Let It Bleed

The Rolling Stones

The Rolling Stones No. 2

Hot Rocks 1964-1971

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-18 20:05 by Irix.

Date: November 16, 2014 23:23

I've just tried to pre-order a Pono Player from the USA. It's really unfair that Neil Young is denying UK music fans the pleasure of this player. I'm so disappointed, and feel like selling off all my Neil Young CDs.

Date: November 17, 2014 05:00

Irix
Slightly OT - the german/austrian/swiss site of Qobuz.com lists 3 new HD-Downloads (88.2kHz/24bit):

Let It Bleed

The Rolling Stones

Hot Rocks 1964-1971

These HD downloads are available on Qobuz France too. I'm wondering if they are the same as the HDTracks HD downloads available since 2010.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home