Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Love Love Me Do, You Know I Love You....
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 5, 2012 08:14

Congratulation to 50 years today!

2 1 2 0

Re: OT Love Love Me Do, You Know I Love You....
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2012 08:17

....Wow has it only been 50 years ... it feels like half a friggin' century ago

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 5, 2012 08:30

A little respect for the other side, please:

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: October 5, 2012 08:40

the Beatles were some kind of latin lovers...lots of love stories in their songs from the early 60's.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 5, 2012 10:27

There are more than only sweet love songs to the Beatles, especially John Lennon, of the comparatively early period. A more sinister side of oldfashioned male attitudes is to be found in the lyrics below the sweet surface made by the catchy melody.

"Run for your life"

Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or I won't know where I am

You better run for your life if you can, little girl

Hide your head in the sand little girl

Catch you with another man

That's the end, little girl

Well I know that I'm a wicked guy

And I was born with a jealous mind

And I can't spend my whole life

Trying just to make you toe the line

Let this be a sermon

I mean everything I've said

Baby, I'm determined

And I'd rather see you dead

I catch you with another man

I'd rather see you dead, little girl

Than to be with another man

You better keep your head, little girl

Or you won't know where I am

Na, na, na

Na, na, na

Na, na, na

Na, na, na

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-05 10:33 by Witness.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 5, 2012 10:50

Lennon designated this song as his "least favourite Beatles song" in a 1973 interview and later said it was the song he most regretted writing.

[www.beatlesbible.com]#!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 5, 2012 13:30

Glam Descendant
Lennon designated this song as his "least favourite Beatles song" in a 1973 interview and later said it was the song he most regretted writing.

[www.beatlesbible.com]#!

It's getting better all the time
he used to be cruel to his woman
he beat her and kept her
from the things that she loved...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 5, 2012 16:09

They may have gone on to more sophisticated pieces, but Love Me Do sounded pretty far-out in 1962, I'm sure. There is something so incredibly fresh and unique about it. Compare it to other 'pop'records released by fellow British acts at the time and you'll surely hear how this track stands out.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 5, 2012 16:22

A great pop tune. A bit thin and doesn't bear repeat listens, but I agree, must have sounded fresh in 1962.

Date: October 6, 2012 00:28

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-06 00:31 by Come On.

Date: October 6, 2012 01:12

Big Al
They may have gone on to more sophisticated pieces, but Love Me Do sounded pretty far-out in 1962, I'm sure. There is something so incredibly fresh and unique about it. Compare it to other 'pop'records released by fellow British acts at the time and you'll surely hear how this track stands out.

The Stones themselves certainly thought so. From his book Nankering With The Rolling Stones, here is James Phelge's account of when The Stones first heard The Beatles' Love Me Do in the front room of 102 Edith Grove [pp. 28-29]:

Losing the Marquee came at a time when the Stones really needed more exposure. Only a few days before they had heard the Beatles performing on BBC's Saturday Club. Why we were up so early on a Saturday I wasn't sure. When I came back from buying cigarettes, Brian was standing next to the radiogram having just tuned in to the Beatles' pending broadcast. It was the first time we had ever tuned in to Saturday Club.

Snippets of news had been in the music press about the band from Liverpool who were making a steady impact and Brian wanted to hear them. After 10 minutes or so the Beatles came on and Brian's face dropped. In a panic-stricken voice he called for Keith to come and listen. I was standing about three feet away from the radio while Brian and Keith crowded themselves right over it. As the Beatles played "Love Me Do," Keith bent right over, transfixed as if he could see the band.

"Oh, no," said Brian. "Listen to that. They're doing it!"

"Hang on, let's hear the guitar," said Keith listening intently. "F*ck it."

"They've got harmonies too," said Brian. "It's just what we didn't want."

I listened and thought the Beatles sounded OK, but so what? Just another group. "What's the problem?" I asked.

"Can't you hear?" said Keith. "They're using a harmonica--they've beaten us to it."

"They're into the same blues thing as us," said Brian. "We'll have to listen to see what else they do later."

I liked the song and I could hear the harmonica, but I did not think the music sounded anything like the Stones. Brian's point was that the Beatles were using the bluesy sound and that if they took off successfully, everyone else would copy it. The Stones would be just another group, it was important to be first. The Beatles did some more songs and later in the broadcast the Stones' spirits dropped further when they performed a Chuck Berry song. Mick heard this too and much debating was to take place later about whether the Beatles had professional arrangements or whether they were that good on their own account. The overall answer was a bit of each.

There was a feeling of anxiety in the air in the front room and I thought I would try to cheer everyone up a little. I casually opened the window a little way and took some cups and plates from the table. I asked, "Anyone want these?" Before they could answer I threw them out of the window. They dropped all the way down into the front entrance and shattered into small pieces. At least they were laughing again.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: October 6, 2012 01:51

Stonesnow

The Stones themselves certainly thought so. From his book Nankering With The Rolling Stones, here is James Phelge's account of when The Stones first heard The Beatles' Love Me Do in the front room of 102 Edith Grove [pp. 28-29]:

I remember that Phelge used to post regularly to the Undercover e-mail list in the '90s. That passage is pretty eloquent compared to his posting style. I wonder if Phelge (and Undercover) are still active...

Posted by: NastyHabits ()
Date: October 6, 2012 02:30

Today is also the 50th anniversary of "Dr. No", the first James Bond movie. A great day for pop culture, especially in Britain.

Date: October 8, 2012 09:22

Says Lennon on vocal...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 8, 2012 09:24

I remember being eight or nine, watching the Beatles Anthology on TV and they played "Love Me Do"...my first time hearing it. I couldn't get enough of it.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 8, 2012 09:39

Come On
Says Lennon on vocal...

One of my favorite Lennon vocal performance, and one of their best cover versions. It has such soul, and grit. This is one of those songs where you just sit up and realize how good The Beatles were. And Lennon, in particular, had such a keen ear for choosing songs for The Beatles to cover, and make it their own. Listen to the original, and how much better and more unique this version is.
Another great one, where Lennon takes the original and turns it on its head to create a full raunchy rousing rock number:

And Lennon's take on it, just listen to his raw screaming vocals, straight from Hamburg:

Date: October 8, 2012 09:54

Mmmm Bad Boy is very Lennon but Anna sounds almost a little George...Poor Larry sounded a little jazz also...

2 1 2 0

Date: October 8, 2012 10:19

Come On
Mmmm Bad Boy is very Lennon but Anna sounds almost a little George...Poor Larry sounded a little jazz also...

Yes, for a while I actually thought it was George. In those very early days, John and George occasionally sounded similar. At first, I thought Do You Wanna Know A Secret was John on lead, since it was after all a Lennon/McCartney song, but it's George.

Here's another case where John is George-sounding, their cover of The Shirelles' Baby It's You.

Date: October 8, 2012 11:04

Not too me. Quintessential John all the way. The way he shreds with soul on Anna. Yes, him and George sound a lot a like when harmonizing, but George was more an adenoid singer, where Lennon dragged it up from the diaphragm and put it through the shredder of the back of his throat. Same with Baby its You, so much soul. Another great vocal shredder:

I love the false start where he is just belting it.

But we digress from Love Me Do! I just read how EMI had pressed and released a 50 anniversary vinyl 45, and then recalled them! And destroyed them! However, several promo copies went out and a few London stores had them and undoubtably did not send all the copies back, making another instant highly sought after collectable! Thanks EMI.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 8, 2012 11:10

whitem8

But we digress from Love Me Do! I just read how EMI had pressed and released a 50 anniversary vinyl 45, and then recalled them! And destroyed them! However, several promo copies went out and a few London stores had them and undoubtably did not send all the copies back, making another instant highly sought after collectable! Thanks EMI.

Interesting thread about it here.
Not only did they use the wrong recording of "Love Me Do" but the 'b' side had the catalogue number of a Matt Monro single!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 8, 2012 12:26

Yeah, that is cool. There is pretty much the same write up on TheBeatlesBible website. I wish I would have ordered one of those! DAGE NABBIT!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 8, 2012 16:51

sleepy. very sleepy

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 8, 2012 22:40

pre-ordered the single along with the new Vinyl box.

I capitulated.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 9, 2012 02:11

Those early songs were perfect and the vocals fabulous. But with the Beach Boys and Motown there were a lot of perfect songs coming out of your radio in those years. I have to smile at the Dylan thread. Has he pulled ahead of the Stones (or something like that)? My god! While the Beatles released this song and the Stones were getting the first single out Dylan released Freewheelin' with an epic almost 7 minute apocalyptic "..Hard Rain.." Even at his worst Dylan always seems to be ahead of his contemporaries.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 9, 2012 03:16

mickscarey
sleepy. very sleepy

Yeah I'm sleepy too..........good night.............

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: October 9, 2012 05:30

Another chauvinist song by Lennon...

Date: October 9, 2012 05:47

BJPortugal
Another chauvinist song by Lennon...

He can be forgiven for this in the context of the times in which he was raised, as he was certainly singing a different tune by 1972.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 9, 2012 09:57

pmk251
While the Beatles released this song and the Stones were getting the first single out Dylan released Freewheelin' with an epic almost 7 minute apocalyptic "..Hard Rain.."

He was 21, it was 1962, this was truly groundbreaking.

Incredible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-09 10:00 by GravityBoy.

Date: October 9, 2012 10:05

Since it would have been Lennons 72 birthday today I would like to remember him with this early favorite of mine:

2 1 2 0

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 10, 2012 05:53

Love Me Do is a great record. It still has an infectious sound even today. i read above that Dylan did Freewheelin' in 1962 true enough but that record does not have the appeal of Love Me Do. Dylan has said he was absolutely knocked hearing the Beatles driving across Arizona said these guys are unique. We can sit here all we want and talk about the Stones and I by far like the Stones over the Beatles but it was the Beatles that broke down all of the barriers with this Merseybeat sound that they had that paved the way for everyone else including Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones. They made it a lot easier for everyone else that came after them. Why anyone would argue this point os beyond me it is fact not myth.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1658
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home