Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Love Train
Posted by: René ()
Date: October 1, 2012 10:15

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Love Train
(Kenneth Gamble / Leon Huff)

L ’Olympia Theatre, Paris, France, July 11, 2003

Mick Jagger - lead vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Ron Wood - electric guitar
Darryl Jones - bass
Chuck Leavell - keyboards, backing vocals
Bobby Keys - saxophone
Tim Ries - saxophone
Michael Davis - trombone
Kent Smith - trumpet
Blondie Chaplin - acoustic guitar, backing vocals
Bernard Fowler - backing vocals
Lisa Fisher - backing vocals

People all over the world, join hands, start a love train, love train

The next stop that we make will be England
Tell everybody in Russia and China too
Please don’t leave that train at the station
Cause if you do I feel sorry, sorry for you

Tell all of your brothers all back in Africa
Tell everybody in Egypt and Israel too
Please don't leave that train at the station
If you do I feel sorry, sorry for you

People all over the world, join hands, start a love train, love train…

Produced by The Rolling Stones

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Four Flicks” DVD
(TGA DVD 7479700122) UK, November 11, 2003

Re: Track Talk: Love Train
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 1, 2012 10:28

ROCKMAN

Date: October 1, 2012 11:21

I liked this on the Licks Tour. In fact, I liked the whole soul-segment - Vegas or not grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 1, 2012 11:37

Horror show. Always thought it was a crap track by The O'Jays. When they played this live it would be the cue to get some some drinks in. Philly soul was always far too smooth for me - much preferred the rougher music coming out of Atlantic, Stax and far better quality pop out of Motown.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 1, 2012 11:50

I didn't even know until now that the Stones had ever done this song, too, like so many others have. It's about the only good song on Rod Stewart's "Soulbook" album from a few years back. I have to admit I don't know the Stones version.

But it's good to see that even as recently as 2003, they have put surprises into their setlists. They started out by playing covers, but have they played this one publicly even earlier during their career?

Date: October 1, 2012 11:56

billwebster
I didn't even know until now that the Stones had ever done this song, too, like so many others have. It's about the only good song on Rod Stewart's "Soulbook" album from a few years back. I have to admit I don't know the Stones version.

But it's good to see that even as recently as 2003, they have put surprises into their setlists. They started out by playing covers, but have they played this one publicly even earlier during their career?

They released it, on 4 Flicks (DVD).

This is a different version from Boston:

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: October 1, 2012 12:00

Pure Crap Of Gold

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 1, 2012 12:59

Embarrassing and pointless, and certainly one of the low points of the Stones career, along with the Justin Timberlake episode and now the gorilla. Makes me wanna holler.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-01 14:54 by drewmaster.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 1, 2012 13:18

The Rolling Stones Big Brass Band Orchestra - a further low point in Stones history ...

Date: October 1, 2012 13:24

I liked the "Big Brass Orchestra" on Let It Loose, Heartbreaker and I Got The Blues. I don't think it is the brass-section that is the problem here winking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 1, 2012 13:25

Love the original and love, absolutely love, the Stones' version!

C

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 1, 2012 13:30

DandelionPowderman
I liked the "Big Brass Orchestra" on Let It Loose, Heartbreaker and I Got The Blues. I don't think it is the brass-section that is the problem here winking smiley

Of course the actual problem is that it is no Stones music ... but we have this problem since '89 actually I think ...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2012 14:15

DandelionPowderman
I liked this on the Licks Tour. In fact, I liked the whole soul-segment - Vegas or not grinning smiley

I liked it also at the time (especially on FOUR LICKS). To me it ("the whole soul segment") presented something novel or even experimental - and if the band fundamentally is nowadays a "big brass orchestra", this is kind of soul material, at least, is suitable for that kind of band. But I am not so sure if it is aged so well - it is, well, a kinda Blues Brothers type of thing, and don't know if that is a good or a bad thing. So don't have now any fixed opinion of "Love Train". Good for something. Bad for something else.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-01 14:21 by Doxa.

Date: October 1, 2012 14:17

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

I liked it also at the time (especially on FOUR LICKS). To me it presented something novel or even experimental - and if the band fundamentally is nowadays a "big brass orchestra", this is kind of soul material is suitable for that kind of band. But I am not so sure if it is aged so well - it is, well, a kinda Blues Brothers type of thing, and don't know if that is a good or a bad thing. So don't have now any fixed opinion of "Love Train". Good for something. Bad for something else.

- Doxa

The BB rule: any "Blues Brothers" kind of thing just CAN'T be bad!

C

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2012 14:23

liddas
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

I liked it also at the time (especially on FOUR LICKS). To me it presented something novel or even experimental - and if the band fundamentally is nowadays a "big brass orchestra", this is kind of soul material is suitable for that kind of band. But I am not so sure if it is aged so well - it is, well, a kinda Blues Brothers type of thing, and don't know if that is a good or a bad thing. So don't have now any fixed opinion of "Love Train". Good for something. Bad for something else.

- Doxa

C

Well, the case closed then! grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: October 1, 2012 14:30

Doxa
liddas
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

C

- Doxa

That's the way to go!

I mean, Steve Cropper, Matt Murphy. Blue Lou Marini, Steve Jordan ... and "BAD" don't fit in the same sentence

C

Date: October 1, 2012 14:36

liddas
Doxa
liddas
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

C

- Doxa

That's the way to go!

I mean, Steve Cropper, Matt Murphy. Blue Lou Marini, Steve Jordan ... and "BAD" don't fit in the same sentence

C

thumbs up

+ the fact that real soul music requires horns!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 1, 2012 14:38

Smooth forgettable popsoul. Meh...

Lots and lots of better soul songs available to cover for a ageing r&b band like the Stones.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: October 1, 2012 14:40

I'm with liddas~~love both versions! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 1, 2012 14:48

In its context, I thought fitted nicely - together with Going To A Go Go, That's How Strong My Love Is, Everybody Needs Somebody To Love and Ain't To Proud To Beg.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 1, 2012 18:32

Liked it when it first came out on 40 licks and on tour... not so much now

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 2, 2012 08:26

it sucks and was a waste of a song when they toured. we deserved an original jagger/richards composition rather than this turd.

it sucked even worse when rod stewart opened with it. we could have gotten "true blue", yet rod laid this egg on us.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 2, 2012 08:47

This is a great classic song where you are supposed to refrain from commenting and not analyze it and just enjoy it and the message of love it brings. It's also a good song in itself. It has another context considering the year was 2002 also. Just enjoy.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 2, 2012 08:52

i always thought this was done as a response to 9/11 ... nice to hear the stones doing a positive and uplifting song... with soul!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 2, 2012 08:59

Silver Dagger
Horror show. Always thought it was a crap track by The O'Jays. When they played this live it would be the cue to get some some drinks in...

That about sums it up for me as well ...

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 2, 2012 09:50

LeonidP
Silver Dagger
Horror show. Always thought it was a crap track by The O'Jays. When they played this live it would be the cue to get some some drinks in...

That about sums it up for me as well ...

I'm afraid I didn't get it either. Found it a bit bizarre, actually. I can enjoy the Stones covering other artists' songs, but this didn't do it for me, what with the silly hat and coat, etc.

Would love to have seen them do "Drift Away" live, though!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 2, 2012 10:14

Yes, the song's a bit too sappy, sunny, and lovey-dovey to be covered by The Stones. For soul covers, they should stay with The Temptations mode. If they need to cover a 70s soul track, they should revive this forgotten chestnut from David Ruffin solo. It would be a perfect track for their live arrangements, the horn section and backing vocalists would nail this vibe perfectly.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 2, 2012 11:45

Naaah the soul track the Stones should cover is the smolderin'

Kenny Ballard's - I'm Down To My Last Heartache...It's built for Mick

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 2, 2012 11:56

Rockman
Naaah the soul track the Stones should cover is the smolderin'

Kenny Ballard's - I'm Down To My Last Heartache...It's built for Mick

Never heard it. Will you post a clip of it?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 2, 2012 11:58

stonesnow
Yes, the song's a bit too sappy, sunny, and lovey-dovey to be covered by The Stones. For soul covers, they should stay with The Temptations mode. If they need to cover a 70s soul track, they should revive this forgotten chestnut from David Ruffin solo. It would be a perfect track for their live arrangements, the horn section and backing vocalists would nail this vibe perfectly.

Yep, those Temptations songs they covered on vinyl had a great sense of urgency (well not My Girl) but Ain't Too Proud To beg and Just My Imagination. They could have done a great Curtis Mayfield number or a version of Private Number with Mick and Lisa duetting. But yes, Love Train had none of the typical bite you'd expect of Stones songs live or otherwise.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1343
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home