Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'Acid King' David Snyderman outed
Posted by: bobcat ()
Date: October 1, 2012 01:55

Re: 'Acid King' David Snyderman outed
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2012 10:43

Thanks.

It is ironical that in his Stones book from the early 80's, Philip Norman suggested that the whole figure of "Acid King" was just a product of imagination... Now that figure and his actions seems to be the central piece of discovery to sell his new Jagger book.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-01 10:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: sizey ()
Date: October 1, 2012 14:26

Couldn't agree more. The items leap off the page of the Mail/Norman feature.

1/ "At around 5pm on the same Sunday afternoon which had found them all on West Wittering beach, a Detective Constable John Challen answered the telephone at West Sussex Police Headquarters in nearby Chichester. "The search warrant was signed off at 3pm that afternoon"
2/ "This was West Sussex’s first drugs raid" which needs no further comment!
3/"the incriminating attaché case somehow lay undisturbed in the middle of the room." Well, if Mr. Norman had bothered to do his research he would have found that the officer who searched Scheidermann - one Thomas Davies - made copious reference in his notes that he did search the attache case and that he found loads of items (around 30) that were suspicious.
4/If the Stones were such a threat to the establishment, how come they then went off towards Spain - and were not searched at customs?
5/ The News of The World's involvement is not mentioned! NOT ONCE Enough said!

There's heaps more I could go on - but like Doxa just mentioned - it reeks of revived sensationalism to sell a new book. Shame, the truth is FAR more fascinating. For the good people of IORR - I have scanned the inventory notes on David Schneidermann. Hope it clarifies a few things - regards, Simon Wells

[4.bp.blogspot.com]

[1.bp.blogspot.com]

[2.bp.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 1, 2012 15:40

Thanks for the posting Simon. Any more books on the way?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 1, 2012 17:56

David Jove(born David Sniderman, December 14, 1942 - September 26, 2004) was a Canadian director, producer, and writer, particularly of underground and alternative music-themed films.[1] After spending the mid-1960s in London He reputedly became acquainted with the Rolling Stones' circle of friends and calling himself "Acid King Dave" allegedly participated in a government drug set-up of Jagger and Richards, resulting in the infamous 'Redlands' bust.[2] Later he moved to Los Angeles, where he would be based for the rest of his life.

He may have been best known as the creator of the early 1980s music program, New Wave Theatre, which gained notoriety in the early days of cable television. It was shown as part of USA Network's late night weekend variety show, Night Flight hosted by Peter Ivers.

"New Wave Theatre" was co-written by longtime Jove collaborator and former Billboard editor Ed Ochs, who also wrote the liner notes to Jove's two records, "Sweeter Song" and "Into the Shrine" (co-writing "Never Say Never" on "Shrine"). Ochs also co-wrote Jove's only feature film, "Stranger Than Love" (originally "I Married My Mom!"), and, with Jove, formed one half of Oxygen, a studio band that fused rock and disco and in 1979 recorded an EP of six original Jove/Ochs songs, "The Bones of Hollywood".

Jove met music video producer Paul Flattery at a 1983 New York Billboard Video conference. They formed an association and that resulted in the music video "Stop In The Name Of Love" for the reformed English band The Hollies, with Graham Nash and the TV show "The Top," which came about after Peter Ivers' murder. In the immediate aftermath of Iver's killing, Jove was offered help by producer/director/writer Harold Ramis, a friend of Ivers. Jove, Ramis and Flattery created and made "The Top" for KTLA. The show was a mixture of live music, videos (this was pre-MTV) and humor. Cyndi Lauper performed "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" and "True Colors," The Hollies performed "Stop In The Name Of Love" and The Romantics performed "Talking In Your Sleep" and "What I Like About You". Guest stars included Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd. The host was Chevy Chase, who - dressed as a "punk" of that era—got into a physical altercation with an audience member during the opening monologue. He immediately left the taping. The producers then got Andy Kaufman to fill in for Chase and recorded the host segments at a separate, later, session. It was to be the last professional appearance by Andy Kaufman before his death.

"The Top" aired on Friday January 27, 1984 at 7 - 8pm. It scored a 7.7% rating and a 14% share. This represented a 28% rating increase and a 27% share increase over KTLA's regularly scheduled "Happy Days/LaVerne & Shirley."

In 2012, Ed Ochs released his memoir about Jove, "Freedom Spy: David Jove and The Meaning of Existence." The book detailed Ochs' experience with Jove. Link:
[www.amazon.com]

Jove was married to actress/comedienne Lotus Weinstock. Their daughter is actress/musician Lili Haydn. Jove was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer just before he died in 2004, aged 61, in Los Angeles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-01 17:58 by seitan.

Date: October 1, 2012 17:57

Check this out:

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 1, 2012 21:15

Some inaccuracies here.

Norman obliquely accuses the RS of doing away with Brian Jones so that they can basically continue as a band, ie, tour the US. But he doesn't mention that Brian was fired before his death, so the RS would have no reason to get him out of the way, at least not as far as touring went.

He refers to Michael Cooper in the present tense. Michael Copper died many years ago.

Marianne mentions seeing David Scheiderman in California in the 80s. If Norman interviewed her, why was this not mentioned?

But basically, Norman is just restating what Keith wrote in Life.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 1, 2012 23:44

sizey
it reeks of revived sensationalism to sell a new book.

Yah resorted to that yourself a little bit. grinning smiley

Date: October 2, 2012 00:00

His Majesty
sizey

I really hope I didn't HM - (and I feel bad if it came across as such ) I could have easily followed the party line - sensationalised it as much as Norman has done. But no, I did my research and presented it as factually as such. I dare say I could have made far more money if I had have brought in FBI/CIA/MI5 - but I didn't, because it's bollocks.

Anyway, nice of you to comment...

Simon Wells

Date: October 2, 2012 00:12

sizey
His Majesty
sizey

I really hope I didn't HM - (and I feel bad if it came across as such ) I could have easily followed the party line - sensationalised it as much as Norman has done. But no, I did my research and presented it as factually as such. I dare say I could have made far more money if I had have brought in FBI/CIA/MI5 - but I didn't, because it's bollocks.

Anyway, nice of you to comment...

Simon Wells

Just a lil, but I'm just ribbing yah. grinning smiley

I like your book! I appreciated and took more in of what was there with the second and third reading, even with a few lil errors, it's the best thing there is out there about the whole 1967-69 drugs busts etc. thumbs up

smileys with beer

Date: October 2, 2012 00:19

Many thanks!

That's nice of you to comment, and I'm happy that the hard work has paid off - I consider it a major complement.
Seeing as you're all so nice on here - here's some of Schneiderman's searching officer - Tom Davies - police notes from the night. I sort of doubt Phillip Norman didn't bother looking for them! Suffice to say, this is the first time they've ever been published

[1.bp.blogspot.com]#

Regards

Simon Wells

Date: October 2, 2012 00:21

Ps... Which I think confirms the Acid King's suitcase WAS indeed searched. Drugs eh....

Date: October 2, 2012 00:27

sizey
Many thanks!

That's nice of you to comment, and I'm happy that the hard work has paid off - I consider it a major complement.
Seeing as you're all so nice on here - here's some of Schneiderman's searching officer - Tom Davies - police notes from the night. I sort of doubt Phillip Norman didn't bother looking for them! Suffice to say, this is the first time they've ever been published

[1.bp.blogspot.com]#

Regards

Simon Wells

Woah, nothing beats going to original source eh!

"Perfumed incense!" grinning smiley

Date: October 2, 2012 00:33

Strange that the Daily Mail/Norma Phillips, didn't mention the News Of The World once. He's pinched a few details that could only have come from my book as well. I wonder if I am in the bibliography.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 2, 2012 00:43

sizey
Strange that the Daily Mail/Norma Phillips, didn't mention the News Of The World once. He's pinched a few details that could only have come from my book as well. I wonder if I am in the bibliography.

Just started your book on my NOOK, really enjoying it so far. Thanks for filling us in on a few more details here.

Date: October 2, 2012 00:44

Thanks for those scans! smileys with beer

Date: October 2, 2012 00:50

Pleasure!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 2, 2012 01:06

Simon - I asked the following questions in the thread "Butterfly On A Wheel - background detail and interview" which is on the second page now. Anyway I'll re-phrase/re-ask it here.

Is your book still in print and available (I hope sales went to expectation)?

How did you go about researching all this information?

Was any pictures of the raid taken and if so are they available?

Do you have any interior shots of Redlands other than the pictures of them practicing in the Spring of 1969 with Brian Jones?

I remember reading a partial transcript of Keith from the trial many years ago. Are Keith (and Mick's) transcripts still available?

Thanks..

Date: October 2, 2012 01:24

Hi there,

I'll answer your questions as best I can,

Yes, the book's only been out less than a year. So yes, and in Kindleized format too!

I could go on for hours about the approach to researching. Rather than bore everyone here with the detail - I did an interview that explains my research and what I uncovered

NO photos were taken of the raid by police or anyone else (a number of police were stationed outside to stop the paparazzi - especially NOTW - taking shots). However, Michael Cooper took photos just before the police action - some are in my book, and others are elsewhere - some in "Blinds and Shutters".

I have no photos of them inside Redlands in the 1960s- a few outside. The Rolling Stones Monthly did a feature on the house in 1966 - it may well be worth checking there, although I can't remember whether they did to be honest.

Yes- Chichester Library have them in their archive (for the Chichester end of the trial) Otherwise, something called Rolling Stones Number 2 (Panther '67) has the London end of things (albeit truncated) Elsewhere, Times Law Reports and All England Law Report for Robert Fraser.

Best wishes

Si

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 2, 2012 06:12

I am really looking forward to reading your book Mr. Wells! Sounds like a real accomplishment. What an interesting and strange era it was! peace

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 2, 2012 06:46

seitan
Jove met music video producer Paul Flattery at a 1983 New York Billboard Video conference. They formed an association and that resulted in the music video "Stop In The Name Of Love" for the reformed English band The Hollies, with Graham Nash and the TV show "The Top," which came about after Peter Ivers' murder. In the immediate aftermath of Iver's killing, Jove was offered help by producer/director/writer Harold Ramis, a friend of Ivers. Jove, Ramis and Flattery created and made "The Top" for KTLA. The show was a mixture of live music, videos (this was pre-MTV) and humor. Cyndi Lauper performed "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" and "True Colors," The Hollies performed "Stop In The Name Of Love" and The Romantics performed "Talking In Your Sleep" and "What I Like About You". Guest stars included Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd. The host was Chevy Chase, who - dressed as a "punk" of that era—got into a physical altercation with an audience member during the opening monologue. He immediately left the taping. The producers then got Andy Kaufman to fill in for Chase and recorded the host segments at a separate, later, session. It was to be the last professional appearance by Andy Kaufman before his death.

"The Top" aired on Friday January 27, 1984 at 7 - 8pm. It scored a 7.7% rating and a 14% share. This represented a 28% rating increase and a 27% share increase over KTLA's regularly scheduled "Happy Days/LaVerne & Shirley."

Great post, and I don't want to appear to be nitpicking, but just for accuracy, MTV debuted in 1981, so The Top could not have been pre-MTV, but was instead contemporary with MTV.

Date: October 2, 2012 15:19

There's a fab book out that totally contextualises David Jove's wider reputation. I do recommend it to everyone - and especially Philip Norman!

[www.amazon.com]

Date: October 3, 2012 19:19

stonesnow
seitan

Great post, and I don't want to appear to be nitpicking, but just for accuracy, MTV debuted in 1981, so The Top could not have been pre-MTV, but was instead contemporary with MTV.

Cool, - thanks - (and I like nitpicking, nothing wrong with that)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home