Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Child Of The Moon
Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: September 25, 2012 02:25

My applogies if this has been posted before, but I have never seen it

Anyway, love the song, and this video

[www.dailymotion.com]

Re: Child Of The Moon
Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: September 25, 2012 02:28

I have always liked this track, especially that guitar hook. I don't think I have seen the video.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 25, 2012 02:32

Always fun to see this again ...and yes it been posted a few time ........

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 25, 2012 02:34

One of my favorite Stones songs, period. Promo film was directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg.

Date: September 25, 2012 02:37

Thanks all, hopefully it will be included in the forthcoming 50th documentary as it is really quite excellent

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 25, 2012 02:38

Love these too, (best video ever) always reminds me of a pub I used to go to in 1976 - The lamb - a very stoned place where the most played on the jukebox were Child of the moon, A Whiter shade of pale, Nights in white satin,You can't always get what you want and Spider and the fly...............Ahh memories..........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-25 02:39 by EddieByword.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 25, 2012 02:40

Bloody marvelous song and recording!

Cue the inevitable, but historically un workable comments about it's inclusion on TSMR and queries about that RMK thing.

Posted by: TRS ()
Date: September 25, 2012 02:48

Did Keith fall from another tree sheesh!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 03:47

Who is the lady in the video? Unknown or a British actress perhaps?

Date: September 25, 2012 03:55

No idea. She looks like that she could be on one of The Smiths album covers, that sort of 50's/60's British TV/movie vibe that The Smiths liked so much

Date: September 25, 2012 04:55

peter wilson
No idea. She looks like that she could be on one of The Smiths album covers, that sort of 50's/60's British TV/movie vibe that The Smiths liked so much

I know the director. I can ask.

Date: September 25, 2012 05:05

That would be a very interesting bit of fact to know 71Tele - looking forward to hearing what you hear. Thanks in advance

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: September 25, 2012 05:44

A very underrated song,imo. thumbs up

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 06:01

One of my five favorite Rolling Stones records.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 25, 2012 08:39

71Tele
peter wilson

Yes, would you...

Date: September 25, 2012 08:41

Blueranger
71Tele
peter wilson

Yes, would you...

I will try to give Michael a call. Haven't talked to him in a while. I'll post whatever I find out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-25 08:42 by 71Tele.

Date: September 25, 2012 09:54

We used to play this in my old band. Just love the guitar harmonies in the middle there, brilliant!

A little taste of what to come sound-wise from the Stones.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 25, 2012 09:57

Here's a version by Chris Wilson of the Flamin' Groovies. It's a bit rough but the feeling is there.

Date: September 25, 2012 10:13

The girl is Eileen Atkins.

Eileen Atkins recalls. "I was paid fifty quid for an afternoon's work, and it was all rather glamorous to be working with the Rolling Stones. I was impressed with Mick that day, and I do recall that I did my first take very badly indeed. Michael gently said, 'I don't think we want it quite like that. Let's do it again,' and Mick never gave the slightest clue that he thought I'd just been terrible. He was very charming, and I came to the conclusion that he did have a brain after all."

[members7.boardhost.com]

thumbs up

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: September 25, 2012 10:19

I'm sure this has been answered before, but..
what does "CMK" stand for?

Date: September 25, 2012 10:20

thecitadel
I'm sure this has been answered before, but..
what does "CMK" stand for?

R not C.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: September 25, 2012 10:26

Great song. Terribly underrated.

Date: September 25, 2012 11:01

I've only heard good things about the song. if it's under rated it has to be by the band themselves winking smiley

Date: September 25, 2012 11:12

In my opinion it doesn't get the recognition by the general public and the band it deserves. While crap songs like Satisfaction or Miss You get highly praised, gems like COTM or Under My Thumb are often forgotten.

Date: September 25, 2012 11:24

Whoa, Glammy! grinning smiley "Crap songs", really?

Date: September 25, 2012 11:25

Yep

Date: September 25, 2012 11:28

I can agree with those songs not being played well on stage since the mid 90s, but they are far from crap. HTW is a disgrace live nowadays, too - but the song is good.

Child Of The Moon and UMT are both great tracks, though. The latter is in no way under rated by fans or the band, is it? It was the opening number both in 1966, 1981 and 1982 + played live in 1997/98 as well as on the BB-tour. Should have been a single, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-25 11:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 11:54

From Nzentgraf

680511A 11th May: Surrey (countryside), England. Shooting of a promofilm. Director:
Michael Lindsay-Hogg. Starring: Linda Thorson & The Rolling Stones.
- Child Of The Moon (MJ/KR) -playback.

From "Heart of Stone; The Unauthorized Life of Mick Jagger", author Laura Jackson, Smith-Gryphon Pub., 1997

The next day (after the JJF promo clips), the Stones and Eileen Atkins, then a young actress, got together to finish filming footage for 'Child of the Moon'.

"We went into the country for the shoot," says Lindsay-Hogg. "In addition to Eileen, we also had a child, and Mick and Keith were to appear on horseback at one point."

"It was filmed in Epping Forest," Eileen Atkins recalls. "I was paid fifty quid for an afternoon's work, and it was all rather glamorous to be working with the Rolling Stones. I was impressed with Mick that day, and I do recall that I did my first take very badly indeed. Michael gently said, 'I don't think we want it quite like that. Let's do it again,' and Mick never gave the slightest clue that he thought I'd just been terrible. He was very charming, and I came to the conclusion that he did have a brain after all."When filming ended it was minus one scene.

"Brian was to have been filmed in a tree," says Lindsay-Hogg, but when the time came, we couldn't find him. He had wandered off and got lost."

The atmosphere between Jagger and Jones was noticeable to the director who admits, "I don't want to use the word ostracized, but Brian annoyed Mick, that's for sure."

It had gone beyond annoyance. Lately, a few guitarists, including Eric Clapton, had been brought in to the studio to contribute, which Jones took as an insult. He had cleaned up and regained enough confidence to confront Jagger about it.

Jagger began to develop his own ambitions. There had often been talk of a Stones film, which never had been realized, but Jagger had a real desire to act and at this point almost got his first part.

"Michael Lindsay-Hogg was a friend of mine," says Eileen Atkins, and at the time I took part in the 'Child of the Moon" clip, he and I were about to do Elecktra on TV. I said with Michael that it might be a fresh idea to work with people not normally associated with this kind of thing. I suggested we ask Mick Jagger to play Orestes, and Michael was all for it. But then over the next couple of weeks we had second thoughts. Mick was great as a Rolling Stone, but we just couldn't see him handling Greek tregedy."

So, who is it then, Eileen Atkins? or was it Linda Thorson (the Avengers' Tara King)! I've been under the assumption that it was Linda for ever - never heard of the Eileen Atkins angle, needs clearing up really.

Cheers

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 25, 2012 13:00

It sure looks like Linda Thorson.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 25, 2012 13:08

peter wilson
My applogies if this has been posted before, but I have never seen it

Anyway, love the song, and this video

[www.dailymotion.com]

I saw this years ago.

What a fabulous video.. probably for all the wrong reasons.

[*] It's a half-arsed arty idea.
    [*] The guys don't look entirely comfortable doing this (nervous twitches)
    [*] Brain looks creepy and is entirely comfortable with his role, that whole in and out the trees thing is great.
    [*] Mick and Keith look doped, genuinely doped.
    [*] Bill looks cool.

Brilliant.

And the song is great.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home