Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Track Talk: Love Is Strong
Posted by: René ()
Date: September 24, 2012 11:30

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Love Is Strong
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Windmill Lane Recording Studios, Dublin, Ireland, November 3 - December 11, 1993
and Don Was’ Private Studio & A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles,
California, US, January 15 - April 23, 1994

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals, harmonica, maracas
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Ron Wood - acoustic guitar, electric guitar
Darryl Jones - bass
Chuck Leavell - Wurlitzer piano
Ivan Neville - backing vocals
Bernard Fowler - backing vocals

Love is strong and you're so sweet
You make me hard, you make me weak
And some day, babe, we got to meet

A glimpse of you was all it took
A stranger's glance, it got me hooked
And I followed you across the stars
I looked for you in seedy bars

What are you scared of, baby, it's more than just a dream
I need some time, we make a beautiful team, a beautiful team

Just anywhere, out in the park
Out on the street and in the dark
I followed you through swirling seas
Down darkened woods with silent trees
Your love is strong and you're so sweet

I need some time, we make a beautiful team, beautiful

I wait for you until the dawn, my mind is ripped, my heart is torned
Your love is strong and you're so sweet, your love is bitter, it's taken neat
Love is strong, yeah, you’re so sweet, yeah, got to meet…

Produced by Don Was & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Love Is Strong” CD single
(Virgin VSCDT 1503) UK, June 27, 1994

Re: Track Talk: Love Is Strong
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 24, 2012 11:38

Mick and Keith wrote this one together, with an impressive result. I love how this song
opens the Voodoo Lounge album. The "dark" feel of the song really fits the album art work.
Mick should play his harmonica more often.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 24, 2012 11:44

And its cousin:

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 24, 2012 11:55

And its mother

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 24, 2012 12:15

A decent song, the rough licks are catchy.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: September 24, 2012 12:36

I love that song. Although the chord progression is simple Keith makes it sound like he had came up with something new. His sound and his touch on "LIS" are amazing.A proof that in 1993 the stones were still writing "classic songs" but the careless critics should pay attention instead of systematically assuming that after "TattooYou" The stones didn't write anything good.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 24, 2012 12:46

A decent track, but certainly not on the level of some of the other ones on VL, such as Out of Tears or I Go Wild.

It starts out promisingly, with a nice intro by Charlie and Keith. But Mick’s vocal, to me, sounds a bit forced or even silly, and for some reason that I can’t put my finger on, this is one of the rare Stones tracks where I am not completely entranced by Mick’s harp. The “What are you scared of, bay-bee…” refrains are weak, as are the backing vocals, and the whole thing ultimately leaves me a bit disappointed.

Drew

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 24, 2012 13:12

Just talked about it in other thread.

A nice retro out-look, but no substance. A typical by-the-numbers VOODOO LOUNGE number the band is able to do half-sleep.

That makes it a nice listening every two years.

- Doxa

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 24, 2012 13:16

The ultimate proof that The Rolling Stones in their later years, still could write vintage-sounding stuff without sounding like a parody of their own style they were innovators of.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 24, 2012 13:20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-24 13:22 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 24, 2012 13:23

What's that Winos bass player up to? He is all over the place. Love is strong: A let down then and a let down now.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 24, 2012 14:01

The best Stones single since Undercover Of The Night. And what makes it so special is the menace inherent in that creeping, relentless beat.

This is certainly a tale from the south side of the city. It's what happens when uptown goes downtown, looking for cheap thrills perhaps with a gal from the other side of the tracks.

But equally it could also be the tale of someone off to score - you know those accounts of Keith going off to some New York brownstone to get his medicine especially the lines 'it got me hooked','my mind is ripped' 'it's more than just a dream'. Make of it what you want but it just sends out a message of sleaze and illicit activity.

While the lyrics conjure up a twilight world with potential danger in every shadow and footstep there's the wonderfully raw guitars that, for me at least, summon up that impending evil vibe found on Let It Bleed tracks such as Gimme Shelter and Midnight Rambler.

And then, when we're drawn into a 60s Stones vibe comes the absolute pay-off in Jagger's fantastic harmonica solo, straight out of Chess Studios. It's a killer cut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-24 14:03 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 24, 2012 14:13

Blueranger
The ultimate proof that The Rolling Stones in their later years, still could write vintage-sounding stuff without sounding like a parody of their own style they were innovators of.

Agreed.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: September 24, 2012 14:21

> A decent track, but certainly not on the level of some of the other ones on VL, such as Out of Tears or I Go Wild.

whaaaaat!
a genuine RS song for me... best on the album.

Date: September 24, 2012 14:23

René
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Love Is Strong
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Windmill Lane Recording Studios, Dublin, Ireland, November 3 - December 11, 1993
and Don Was’ Private Studio & A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles,
California, US, January 15 - April 23, 1994

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals, harmonica, maracas
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Ron Wood - acoustic guitar, electric guitar
Darryl Jones - bass
Chuck Leavell - Wurlitzer piano
Ivan Neville - backing vocals
Bernard Fowler - backing vocals

A glimpse of you was all it took
A stranger's glance, it got me hooked
And I followed you across the stars
I looked for you in seedy bars

I need some time, we make a beautiful team, a beautiful team

Just anywhere, out in the park
Out on the street and in the dark
I followed you through swirling seas
Down darkened woods with silent trees
Your love is strong and you're so sweet

I need some time, we make a beautiful team, beautiful

I wait for you until the dawn, my mind is ripped, my heart is torned
Your love is strong and you're so sweet, your love is bitter, it's taken neat
Love is strong, yeah, you’re so sweet, yeah, got to meet…

Produced by Don Was & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Love Is Strong” CD single
(Virgin VSCDT 1503) UK, June 27, 1994

I don't think Wood is playing on this at all. The electric guitars are most certainly Keith anyway.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 24, 2012 14:44

Silver Dagger
The best Stones single since Undercover Of The Night. And what makes it so special is the menace inherent in that creeping, relentless beat.

This is certainly a tale from the south side of the city. It's what happens when uptown goes downtown, looking for cheap thrills perhaps with a gal from the other side of the tracks.

But equally it could also be the tale of someone off to score - you know those accounts of Keith going off to some New York brownstone to get his medicine especially the lines 'it got me hooked','my mind is ripped' 'it's more than just a dream'. Make of it what you want but it just sends out a message of sleaze and illicit activity.

While the lyrics conjure up a twilight world with potential danger in every shadow and footstep there's the wonderfully raw guitars that, for me at least, summon up that impending evil vibe found on Let It Bleed tracks such as Gimme Shelter and Midnight Rambler.

And then, when we're drawn into a 60s Stones vibe comes the absolute pay-off in Jagger's fantastic harmonica solo, straight out of Chess Studios. It's a killer cut.

Damn, I wish the track had been as great as this review!thumbs up

The difference in perception is while I wholeheartedly follow the paths you wonderfully describe here, to me it leaves a certain thin impression. That's to me is just "surface", but not really having the "substance", the real artistic drive to say something. So to me it sounds a bit 'fake', like the Stones trying to sound like the classic Stones used to be, giving that kind of 'retro' impression, but not really coming from their heart. More like a piece of craftwork than that of art.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-24 14:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 24, 2012 14:48

there's an early take with Keith on vocals. Maybe not a better, but surely a more interesting version of the song

Date: September 24, 2012 14:53

Doxa
Silver Dagger

The difference in perception is while I wholeheartedly follow the paths you wonderfully describe here, to me it leaves a certain thin impression. That's to me is just "surface", but not really having the "substance", the real artistic drive to say something. So to me it sounds a bit 'fake', like the Stones trying to sound like the classic Stones used to be, giving that kind of 'retro' impression, but not really coming from their heart. More like a piece of craftwork than that of art.

- Doxa

It is! thumbs up

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 24, 2012 15:06

Max'sKansasCity

Grrr!

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 24, 2012 15:09

Fantastic song! I bought the single back then, with that great The Storm and So Young.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 24, 2012 15:10

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Silver Dagger

- Doxa

It is! thumbs up

Yep, you nailed it, Doxa. It sounds thin and a bit fake -- it's craft, not art. But a great review by Silver Dagger nonetheless.

Drew

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: September 24, 2012 15:13

i love this track! for me the best of VL. i respect the opinion of Doxa that LIS lacks substance, but don´t share it...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 24, 2012 15:14

I remember playing this single over and over the first day, was totally knocked out by it. Still love it, but don't care much for it live. They couldn't capture the original vibe onstage imo.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: September 24, 2012 15:15

Yes, that was a great single indeed! All killer no filler.

Date: September 24, 2012 15:16

drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Silver Dagger

- Doxa

It is! thumbs up

Yep, you nailed it, Doxa. It sounds thin and a bit fake -- it's craft, not art. But a great review by Silver Dagger nonetheless.

Drew

Why is it fake?

Is Blind Lemon Jefferson, Leadbelly or Robert Johnson the only genuine acts that were around?

It's impossible for the Stones to invent the wheel every time they're out with a new record. With LIS they simply made a great rock record, imo. That should be enough. It was way better than anything since Undercover anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-24 15:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 24, 2012 15:16

It kinda starts up from the cellar but never really gets up from there.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 24, 2012 15:22

I'ts a great later Stones song...not a 9 or 10 but an 8+ great video clip too 9+

Date: September 24, 2012 15:31

slewan
there's an early take with Keith on vocals. Maybe not a better, but surely a more interesting version of the song

I actually prefer that version. Sounds even more menacing coming from Keith which make me think that he had more to do with the lyrics than we'd otherwise assume.

Date: September 24, 2012 15:36

Doxa
Silver Dagger

- Doxa

Thanks Doxa. That's praise indeed coming from the master of Stones' analysis. I know what you mean and it's an emotion I also feel too often these days when listening to Stones songs - that the real feeling is gone and that they're only going through the motions of songwriting.

Perhaps too much bad water has passed under the bridge to take them for real anymore? Interestingly, how did you feel about Back Of My Hand? Authentic or not?

Date: September 24, 2012 15:38

Underrated. As its subsequent tour.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home