Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The First Big Mistake ???
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: September 5, 2012 10:47

In a fantastic career spanning 50 years, my opinion is that the Stones (Jagger?) have made their first huge mistake in the way the 50th anniversary has been handled and the way their archive is being released.

For the first time I think that they have misread their market and as a result are ending their career by undermining a part of their legacy.

One way to recover from this, in my opinion, would be to publish the complete plan of releases for the next couple of years, so that we all know where we stand.

Re: The First Big Mistake ???
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: September 5, 2012 10:57

Maybe the new release is 'updated' outtakes. Would you feel the same then I wonder?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 5, 2012 11:52

midimannz
Maybe the new release is 'updated' outtakes. Would you feel the same then I wonder?

That's what I call 'history-destruction'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 5, 2012 11:59

I would say the "first big mistake" was Jagger's solo career. There should have been 3 more solid Stones albums to fill out the mid to late 80s. The second big mistake was taking 5 years off between Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge--if Mick and Keith had pooled their best efforts in between that time, there could have been one killer Stones album instead of the solo albums Wandering Spirit and Main Offender.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 5, 2012 13:42

stonesnow
I would say the "first big mistake" was Jagger's solo career. There should have been 3 more solid Stones albums to fill out the mid to late 80s. The second big mistake was taking 5 years off between Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge--if Mick and Keith had pooled their best efforts in between that time, there could have been one killer Stones album instead of the solo albums Wandering Spirit and Main Offender.

That's bs. You can't blame the man for his solo career; ridiculous. Apart from that I think it was pretty good what he did. So good that I still think Wandering Spirit is the Stones best album in 20 years. Jimmy Ripp plays imho a hell of a lot better than KR. Oops!
And I really don't understand all this Mick bashing. He is almost not appreciated as a band member if you read lots of posts on this site. Makes him underestimated in many ways. In my opinion he produced far more good work (solo or with the Stones) than Keith and he is better as a musician as well. I think Keith and his fans are troubled by forms of jealousy because of all this and that gives distorted visions on lots of things concerning Mick's role(s).
Lots of people accuse Mick for being the creator of anything that's 'worthless' about the Stones but it's a 4 person tango and they all agree and approve what happens. And if nothing happened or too less? I don't blame Keith! If you leave it to him nothing happens because he doesn't have the abilities to organize things or to lead; don't we all know that? But he and his fans also seem frustrated about the fact that Mick is better in all those things but they should be gratefull. Mick never comments or talks about those shitty things Keith blames and ridicules him about. But Keith sells it good. People like those 'self made' hero's who say "Haha I don't prepare for a tour: I just turn up...and do I work-out? No I play guitar with the Rolling Stones haha."
And all the while it's Mick that's keeping the band together by not making much more of those things and keep working and plan things. What if Mick was bashing Keith like that?? Would Keith just shut up and say ' I really don't like talking about that.'?? Would Keith continue to do the hard work and keep the band together? Come on!
So bashing and blaming Jagger like lots of people here do for too less records is really bs. If it wasn't for Mick nothing would have happened at all since the end of the seventies.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 5, 2012 13:56

Mick's first big mistake involved Anita Pallenberg.

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: September 5, 2012 14:01

what is written above is really funny! I remind you that in December 2011 it was keith to bring the Stones in the studio, and no Mick!Please stop with these lies, that does everything Mick....and we thank Keith and Ronnie, and Charlie, who are doing their part in the rolling Stones!!

Date: September 5, 2012 14:49

so for one time Keith did something if that's true. But is it? Go check it instead of believing what a so called Stones professor says he knows.
Just look at the facts about what's being produced and organized and planned. You just never see Keith in the offices. You can ask anybody in production and the organisation about who they really work with and count those facts. It's a fairy tale people like to believe but Keith is not the band leader or something like that. It was and still is a group thing and Mick was and is doing a hell of a lot of work and Keith is not. That doesn't make him a clown but it sure doesn't make him a hero you should always believe. The man created most of his legendary history just by talking about himself and gossip and complaining about Mick. At the same time Mick never talks about himself in terms of creating his own legend. And he doesn't complain or about Keith. The guy deserves some more credits.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: September 5, 2012 14:54

Universal said me the stones would release 2 products. they just released 1. it´s possible the boys release other stuff soon.
Ok, i think the second product can be the Crossfire Huricane.... or not.
We all are very anxious.... and tired... let´s wait more somedays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 14:55 by carlostones10.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 5, 2012 14:55

GravityBoy
Mick's first big mistake involved Anita Pallenberg.

....I don't think he sees it that way....and what are friends for if you can't sleep with them?

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: September 5, 2012 15:10

Many missteps, but the first unforgivable mistake was airbrushing Bill Wyman out of Rarities cover. Leave him in, pick another image or something. What stupid art direction...and the band must have signed off on it.

Details: [gloriousnoise.com]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 5, 2012 15:31

midimannz

I was wondering this myself, I couldn't find anything official about an old song compliation............who's said that's what it is, anybody know anything certain?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2012 16:16

EddieByword
midimannz

I was wondering this myself, I couldn't find anything official about an old song compliation............who's said that's what it is, anybody know anything certain?

I think it's odd they haven't published the song list yet. Can't imagine, but is it possible they're still deciding that?

I wonder what the drop dead date is for production, to ensure delivery on store shelves for mid November.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 5, 2012 16:24

Kingbeebuzz
In a fantastic career spanning 50 years, my opinion is that the Stones (Jagger?) have made their first huge mistake in the way the 50th anniversary has been handled and the way their archive is being released.

For the first time I think that they have misread their market and as a result are ending their career by undermining a part of their legacy.

One way to recover from this, in my opinion, would be to publish the complete plan of releases for the next couple of years, so that we all know where we stand.

Even Brett Favre stuck around too long....poor Stones

Date: September 5, 2012 16:25

Munichhilton
Kingbeebuzz

They do seem to be staggering towards the finish line. I don't think I'd have predicted that.

Date: September 5, 2012 16:32

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Kingbeebuzz

They do seem to be staggering towards the finish line. I don't think I'd have predicted that.

Staggering? Jaggering? So you generally still see them as on there feet? Or are you just being kind?

Date: September 5, 2012 16:53

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Kingbeebuzz

Staggering? Jaggering? So you generally still see them as on there feet? Or are you just being kind?

Well they are doing some 'lovely things' so I would prolly say they are still on their feet.

I think it's obvious that Jagger is done, 'LIFE' was the final straw/excuse for him and I can't say as I blame him. The legacy deserves better than this...perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised if our expectations are substantially lowered. I know mine are.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 5, 2012 16:55

laksfjdslafjlkadsjf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 16:57 by Send It To me.

Date: September 5, 2012 17:09

treaclefingers
perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised if our expectations are substantially lowered. I know mine are.

It makes it easier doesn't it. No Expectations that is...hey, I can use that one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-05 17:11 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 5, 2012 17:40

I think their career is full of mistakes - but they are nevertheless
the greatest band ever.

What annoys me is that they create a bad atmosphere and tension amongst
their diehard fans (here). The problem is really not the ugly cover
or the compilation CD. It´s the feeling that they had to do something
really great in their 50th year - but won´t. But we get
a photo exhibition, a Best Of, a film and download concerts instead -
normally that´s marketing for a dead or gone band.

All we want is a 10 or 12 song CD and a small tour, where every diehard fan
could say "goodbye, great trip, thanks."

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 5, 2012 19:03

Too Tough wrote:

Just exactly right.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 5, 2012 19:51

the band have made a lot of mistakes and with the benefit of hindsight might have done things differently, but they have also made a lot of great songs.

i think they have undersold themselves by not releasing the correct singles, prefering to back a handfull of songs many of which are average ie its only rock and roll, miss you, before they make me run. and yet completely ignore the likes of "let it loose, time waits for no one, citadel, jigsaw puzzle, in the main street singles market.

i find that many stones songs if released by other artists would have been seen as that artists strongest releases, but with the stones many songs go unnoticed by the public because they havent projected those songs enough when marketing.

many beatles songs are average yet are hailed as classics for some strange reason.

the stones also could have released more albums in the later years.

since steel wheels and including they have released only 4 main studio albums yet in the same period and including cover versions, and outtakes previously unreleased they have recorded almost 100 songs, this could easily have been recorded on 10 seperate studio albums albeit the overall standard and quality would have been significantly lesser, but would still have kept stones interest up during the leaner years.

Date: September 5, 2012 20:24

buttons67
the band have made a lot of mistakes and with the benefit of hindsight might have done things differently, but they have also made a lot of great songs.

i think they have undersold themselves by not releasing the correct singles, prefering to back a handfull of songs many of which are average ie its only rock and roll, miss you, before they make me run. and yet completely ignore the likes of "let it loose, time waits for no one, citadel, jigsaw puzzle, in the main street singles market.

i find that many stones songs if released by other artists would have been seen as that artists strongest releases, but with the stones many songs go unnoticed by the public because they havent projected those songs enough when marketing.

many beatles songs are average yet are hailed as classics for some strange reason.

the stones also could have released more albums in the later years.

since steel wheels and including they have released only 4 main studio albums yet in the same period and including cover versions, and outtakes previously unreleased they have recorded almost 100 songs, this could easily have been recorded on 10 seperate studio albums albeit the overall standard and quality would have been significantly lesser, but would still have kept stones interest up during the leaner years.

Only 4 main studio albums? How can you say that? Look what only Mick has done in that period with film and solo albums. And Keith. Ronnie. Charlie. And gosh look at those tours! Think about family life. Oh and remember their age. I think fans here are a little bit self centered on this subject. I understand you want a lot but be realistic.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 5, 2012 20:28

It is for sure not. We were just blind and overdrunk by papers news. As I ain't a marketing people I was in too.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 5, 2012 20:30

the thing is, very few people care about solo releases, they want the stones, the tours were great and they put in a lot of hours to do the gigs they done, but they still only did 4 stones albums, which could have been 10 if including the outtakes, it wouldnt have meant recording more material, just rescheduling the material they already have.

Date: September 5, 2012 21:06

buttons67
the thing is, very few people care about solo releases, they want the stones, the tours were great and they put in a lot of hours to do the gigs they done, but they still only did 4 stones albums, which could have been 10 if including the outtakes, it wouldnt have meant recording more material, just rescheduling the material they already have.

The thing is, you indeed seem to be self centered since you only care about your own wishes! And you're not realistic: you can't expect all of that together in this situation. You know Keith and Mick had troubles and still have. And you know what they did do in this period: 4 studio albums, lots of tours, solo projects (& films), stones documentairies, fantastic club gigs. And you don't consider their age and family life... are you really a fan? Maybe you should try the blackmail business.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 5, 2012 23:51

TooTough
I think their career is full of mistakes - but they are nevertheless
the greatest band ever.

What annoys me is that they create a bad atmosphere and tension amongst
their diehard fans (here). The problem is really not the ugly cover
or the compilation CD. It´s the feeling that they had to do something
really great in their 50th year - but won´t. But we get
a photo exhibition, a Best Of, a film and download concerts instead -
normally that´s marketing for a dead or gone band.

They've BEEN the greatest band ever. Nothing reminding of a band's left over

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: September 10, 2012 20:55

....first mistake was not keeping geoff bradford in the band....then dismissing tony chapman.....plus the loss of ricky fenson was a blow they never recovered from.....they have been spiraling downward ever since.....dick taylor got out just in time....and of course carlo little never looked back after his departure...mick avory certainly make the right move also....but it's all water under the bridge..the Stones made their choices and i guess that left dick heckstall-smith out in the cold.....my my...what could have been?!.....

Posted by: Still A Fool ()
Date: September 10, 2012 21:23

I'll go with hiring the Hells Angels to do security at Altamont.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: September 10, 2012 21:43

Deleted.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1599
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home