Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 12 of 16
Re: The Rolling Stones exit recording studio in Paris Aug. 21
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 26, 2012 18:12

MightyStonesStillRollin50
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Stones have an obvious love for what they do. They don't get paid enough as far as I am concerned. The Stones today are multi-millionaires. They could have retired years ago, yet they continue.

Over half a billion dollars wasn't enough on the last tour? You think they don't get paid enough? Yes, they could have retired years ago - but to leave all that money...

Well, how much did that "journeyman" band U2 make on their last tour? Oh that's right, Bono gave his share all to charity.

More than the Stones did in way less shows playing less shows (110 to 147) with a smaller stage and not saturating the market while selling every show out.

And that upsets you because they made more money than the Stones, more people saw them than the Stones or because they sold out every show unlike the Stones? It's quite a feat but in the end doesn't make a band's career. The Stones that everyone thinks of, loves and remembers has been gone a long time. The actual legacy is fine. Jagger was only interested in the money in 1989 for a tour and nothing's changed since then. Of course it's part of his 'job' to be "creative" with the Stones but only enough for them to work.

Nice, isn't it, to do something you love and get paid millions for doing it.
It isn't different then lots of other musicians, sportsmen, artists, dancers, businessmen etc. do. You talk like Stones were the only one getting lots of money for the things they do.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: August 26, 2012 18:13

StonesTod
by any chance did your friend ask ronnie if he's only in it for the money?

Ronnie and Charlie were only at the studio to taste the wonderful sorbets of the glacier nearby.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 26, 2012 18:17

gwen
StonesTod
by any chance did your friend ask ronnie if he's only in it for the money?

Ronnie and Charlie were only at the studio to taste the wonderful sorbets of the glacier nearby.

so one can surmise they are only in it for the food?

Date: August 26, 2012 19:14

mtaylor
It isn't different then lots of other musicians, sportsmen, artists, dancers, businessmen etc. do. You talk like Stones were the only one getting lots of money for the things they do.

No, it's that Mick would only do it if there was enough money to bother with doing it. Of course they are not the only ones making lots of money for what they do. I don't understand why some people can't accept that it is more/mostly about the money than the music with these big tours. Obviously some Stones fans ignore that. It's the 'bother' part of Mick - if he's going to bother touring with The Rolling Stones he had better be paid a lot for it.

If it wasn't about the money they'd have toured several times already like normal bands do.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 26, 2012 19:38

StonedInTokyo
The guys are happy, healthy and recording together in Paris. End of story.

Now please STFU.

You must be Stonedsmoking smiley

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: August 26, 2012 20:54

he is an old man and that shit is a lot of work..pay him!

Date: August 26, 2012 21:20

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mtaylor

No, it's that Mick would only do it if there was enough money to bother with doing it. Of course they are not the only ones making lots of money for what they do. I don't understand why some people can't accept that it is more/mostly about the money than the music with these big tours. Obviously some Stones fans ignore that. It's the 'bother' part of Mick - if he's going to bother touring with The Rolling Stones he had better be paid a lot for it.

If it wasn't about the money they'd have toured several times already like normal bands do.

Glad to see you made a slight concession here. So it's now MORE/MOSTLY about the money and no longer ALL and ONLY about the money. Let's just agree that it is both about the money AND about love of profession and leave it at that? Is that a fair compromise?

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 00:43

According to Nico Zentgraf

120820A 20th August onwards: THE ROLLING STONES. Suresnes (near Paris), France, Guillaume Tell Studios. Producers: The Glimmer Twins & Don Was. Recording sessions. Additional musicians: Chuck Leavell (keyb), Darryl Jones (bass)

So Bill wasn't?

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-27 00:44 by dandelion1967.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 27, 2012 01:20

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mtaylor

Glad to see you made a slight concession here. So it's now MORE/MOSTLY about the money and no longer ALL and ONLY about the money. Let's just agree that it is both about the money AND about love of profession and leave it at that? Is that a fair compromise?

no quarter and NO compromise! we're in it to win it!!!!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:39

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mtaylor

LMAO!! StonesTod, you bring me much merriment and delight with your wicked humor.

Drew

Date: August 27, 2012 04:09

drewmaster
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mtaylor

LMAO!! StonesTod, you bring me much merriment and delight with your wicked humor.

Drew

ALL of you guys make me laugh!

Date: August 27, 2012 04:44

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
drewmaster
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mtaylor

Drew

ALL of you guys make me laugh!

Always nice to close the day with a laugh, and of course a nice cigar and a shot of Jack Daniels. smileys with beer

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 27, 2012 05:32

dandelion1967

120820A 20th August onwards: THE ROLLING STONES. Suresnes (near Paris), France, Guillaume Tell Studios. Producers: The Glimmer Twins & Don Was. Recording sessions. Additional musicians: Chuck Leavell (keyb), Darryl Jones (bass)

So Bill wasn't?

??

He left about 20 years ago, apparently.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 27, 2012 05:43

Gazza
dandelion1967

So Bill wasn't?

??

That is breaking news to some around here Gazza. Please don't tell them MT left also. It would cause a riot.

OLDKR

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 27, 2012 05:50

Shush you.....

we'd have gotten away with it too, if it wasnt for you pesky, meddling kids....

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 27, 2012 05:54

Where's the "like" button?

OLDKR

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 27, 2012 09:30

oldkr
Gazza
dandelion1967

So Bill wasn't?

??

That is breaking news to some around here Gazza. Please don't tell them MT left also. It would cause a riot.

OLDKR

Amazing...Bill's been OUT of the band almost 3 times longer than Brian was in the band.

Date: August 27, 2012 10:14

treaclefingers
oldkr
Gazza
dandelion1967

So Bill wasn't?

??

OLDKR

Amazing...Bill's been OUT of the band almost 3 times longer than Brian was in the band.

Whoa..now Brian is gone too??

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 27, 2012 11:02

Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
oldkr
Gazza
dandelion1967

So Bill wasn't?

??

OLDKR

Whoa..now Brian is gone too??
In some 10-20 years, they will all sit dressed in white jamming together.

Re: ROLLING STONES EXIT RECORDING STUDIO IN PARIS 21Aug
Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 27, 2012 15:37

gwen
Loudei
It seems Keith cant go anywhere without Jane Rose... maybe he does not feel secure alone around Mick.

Jane was not at the studio on thursday. Probably she didn't extend her stay, I was told that they intended at first to leave on wednesday, with Mick staying one more day. Mick was staying at the studio much longer than the others, arriving one hour later but often leaving around midnight when the others left around eight.

So that extended stay was for lead vocal overdubs then?

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: August 27, 2012 18:54

So who has the copyright on those pics?

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: August 27, 2012 18:58

The session is over.

Date: August 27, 2012 20:12

Nice photo... Thank you!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 27, 2012 20:40

Jagger stayed because of a beautiful girl who had sold some ice creams to him, and he had liked the way she showed him how to eat an ice cream. this is what a friend of a friend told me.
jeroen

Date: August 27, 2012 21:12

dewlover
So who has the copyright on those pics?

It's Jean-Claude Elfassi (famous french paparazzi) and his son who took the photos of the Stones leaving the studio. His son is a Stones fan, otherwise I don't think he would have bothered to be here. They were there everyday last week.

Date: August 27, 2012 21:26

Gazza
dandelion1967
So Bill wasn't?

??

I guess the question is not so silly, I was asked the exact same question by someone from the backing band when I told they were recording in Paris.

Posted by: C R K ()
Date: August 27, 2012 22:00

Nothing new but I'll post it here anyway (from rollingstone.com):

Rolling Stones Recording in France
'Had fun in the Paris studio!' Mick Jagger tweets

By Patrick Doyle
August 27, 2012 1:15 PM ET

After months of speculation whether the Rolling Stones would record this year to mark their 50th anniversary, the band spent time in a Paris recording studio last week. The band was photographed exiting an unnamed studio on August 21st. Two days, later, Jagger tweeted a photo of himself in a studio surrounded by some very Stonesy items: cases of Fender amps, Telecasters, Stratocasters and several harmonicas. "Had fun in the Paris studio this week!" he wrote.

Last week, the Stones also posted a cryptic image of animal eyes on their Facebook page, instructing fans to download the free "uView" app and point their phones at the screen. The eyes came to life and an animal growled while "Start Me Up" played.

It's at least the third time the band has gathered in recent months; they rehearsed in the New York area in late April. "We played everything, really," Keith Richards told Rolling Stone then. "We're just getting our chops together. It was like playing in the garage, a maintenance check, you know?"

The last day of the rehearsals were filmed by director Brett Morgen for a documentary chronicling the band's history to appear on HBO this fall. "Someone would mention a song, and within the second run they had nailed it," Morgen says. "Having screened through 50 years of material over the last six months, I would rank it up there with anything I've ever heard from them. They were extremely tight."

The band also gathered in London in July to celebrate their 50th anniversary with a photo exhibit. Before that meeting, Keith Richards told Rolling Stone the band would also use the time to discuss recording. "I'd love to get some tracks down and see what songs we've got. And that goes along with part of getting the band back together and getting things moving. So I'd love to cut some tracks, yeah." Asked if he saw himself writing one-on-one with Jagger again, Richards replied, "I have no doubt."

If the band is recording new material, it would be their first new songs since 2005's A Bigger Bang. (They've since brushed up a few old songs for 2010's Exile on Main Street and 2011's Some Girls reissue compilations).

Shows are on the horizon too. In July, Jagger surprised fans by mentioning in an interview with the London Evening Standard that the band would be playing live "in the autumn . . . You will definitely be seeing us all together soon. It's been great fun being back together and there are a lot of memories in here. I can't believe it's been 50 years. We've been hanging out together, seeing quite a bit of each other and we want to do some gigs."

Link here:
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 27, 2012 22:09

Gazza
dandelion1967

So Bill wasn't?

??

I think he is appreciated more now than ever. I can only hope he finds his way back into the fold.

Date: August 28, 2012 14:51

"Having screened through 50 years of material over the last six months, I would rank it up there with anything I've ever heard from them. They were extremely tight." thumbs up

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: August 28, 2012 15:32

Bill has said he wouldn't be touring with them because he doesn't fly (http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2012/07/31/ex-rolling-stones-bassist-bill-wyman-says-he-wont-tour-with-the-band/) but that wouldn't stop him from playing any European gigs.

My understanding is that they will be playing selected gigs in selected cities instead of a full bore tour and then that will be that. I think that would be a fine way to end their career as a band. It's not like they don't have other things to do to occupy their time!

By the way, last night on my radio show I played a mini tribute to the Stones. Played the Rice Crispies jingle, Andrew's Blues, Did Everyone Pay Their Dues? and Claudine. They have such great stuff hiding in those vaults!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 12 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home