Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: Brian Jones and the Stones' office
Date: September 18, 2012 14:06

I think they got better along the way, with more shows under their belts.

I also think they were more rusty before the Hyde Park-show than before this one.

I've also heard some outrageously bad 1969-shows - so, well... it's the Stones.

But in general, I agree - they got better, like every band which practices gets.

The sound of the band in RARC is very comparable to the LIB-album, btw, with Richards doing most of the guitars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-18 14:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 19, 2012 09:45

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 19, 2012 09:49

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
@ Doxa: I think the big change, also quality-wise, can be heard on the RARC-show.

Cream and Hendrix? I don't think the Stones even thought of heading in that direction. The Stones forte has always been their sound and swing. You can't obtain that just by having ten hands or the fastest fingers in the world. This is really evident here, imo.

Listen to the late 1967-shows, and then this show, You'll find that the biggest change is that of Keith's guitar playing, hence the band's sound. It's a pity that Brian is turned way down in the mix, but in a weird way I think Keith makes up for it.

The Parachute Woman-version is way heavier than any blues they'd done live prior to this show - and more advanced guitar-wise, too.

Keith's guitar playing is pretty much the same in 1967 European tour. Check out the live versions of Going Home for example.

The biggest change is the change in pace, the frantic nature of their approach to live playing during their pop years is radically toned down.

The mos

I find it both more accomplished and more heavy in 1968, just like it is on BB compared to Buttons which was the album they toured behind at the time.

Replace the word heavy with focused. thumbs up

Date: September 19, 2012 10:01

thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 19, 2012 10:28

Damn, a proper release from European Tour 1967 would be a dream come true. But I know I know that is probably technically impossible.

BUt how great addition it would be to the archieve releases? A trip to whole different, almsot forgotten era, and just thinking of Mick and Keith talking about those times and concerts would give some real perspective to their incredible career.

Damn the 'professionalism' and all that: it is just the pure vitality and energy that rules there! Simply stunning by its terms!

- Doxa

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: September 22, 2012 10:40

Also, Anita was eight-months pregnant with Marlon at the time.
She and Brian had been broken up for over two years. I don't blame Keith and Anita for anything. Brian was a jerk to women. Besides, they all kind of passed their women around - Suki, Uschi, Linda Keith.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: September 22, 2012 14:57

gypsy18
Also, Anita was eight-months pregnant with Marlon at the time.
She and Brian had been broken up for over two years. I don't blame Keith and Anita for anything. Brian was a jerk to women. Besides, they all kind of passed their women around - Suki, Uschi, Linda Keith.
If you don't then let me.

Keith broke the one of the heaviest unwritten rules you can break in a friendship and betrayed a guy who had been a close friend. Yes, Brian sure was a jerk to some of his women. But it still doesn't excuse what Keith did.

Besides Anita wasn't Linda or Suki. There are tons of stories about her crazy and dark nature to understand that she never was a damsel in distress but a pretty violent creature. Her affair with Keith was calculated from her part long before it started and she wasn't a girl they passed around. Just look how Anita's said affair with Mick hit Keith. Suddenly it was not cool to @#$%& around with your mates girl...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 22, 2012 17:05

I also hate the way people (not only you, gypsy18) say that the Stones' women were "passed around" as if they were so many mindless dolls with no say in the matter. Anita had a mind of her own and used it.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 22, 2012 18:48

None of us knows what really happened between Brian, Keith, and Anita, but it has been well documented that Brian beat Anita. Keith and Anita had their thing in Morocco, and Anita went back to Brian, who continued to beat her and that's when she took off with Keith. Yes, Anita was with Brian, but the fact that Brian was physically abusive explains a lot about why she left him for Keith. It was Anita’s choice, not Keith’s. You could say he should have said no, but he was young and clearly very much in love. As for passing women around, I agree with Green Lady, it assumes the women were simpleminded toys who had no say about who they were with. Marianne Faithfull wrote in her book that it was considered unhip to care about fidelity then which, human nature being what it is, must have driven all of them crazy at times. Keith and Anita stayed together a long time, despite all the shenanigans, even her affair with Mick. Their relationship may have gotten off to a questionable start, but they obviously had a deep,long lasting attachment. Mick Jagger seems to have been the least conflicted over the moral code of the times, he also slept with Mick Taylor’s wife. Love and sex are the two things I try not to judge anyone on, it's too complicated and people rarely know the real story, sometimes even those involved.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-22 19:02 by latebloomer.

Date: September 22, 2012 19:40

latebloomer
None of us knows what really happened between Brian, Keith, and Anita, but it has been well documented that Brian beat Anita. Keith and Anita had their thing in Morocco, and Anita went back to Brian, who continued to beat her and that's when she took off with Keith. Yes, Anita was with Brian, but the fact that Brian was physically abusive explains a lot about why she left him for Keith. It was Anita’s choice, not Keith’s. You could say he should have said no, but he was young and clearly very much in love. As for passing women around, I agree with Green Lady, it assumes the women were simpleminded toys who had no say about who they were with. Marianne Faithfull wrote in her book that it was considered unhip to care about fidelity then which, human nature being what it is, must have driven all of them crazy at times. Keith and Anita stayed together a long time, despite all the shenanigans, even her affair with Mick. Their relationship may have gotten off to a questionable start, but they obviously had a deep,long lasting attachment. Mick Jagger seems to have been the least conflicted over the moral code of the times, he also slept with Mick Taylor’s wife. Love and sex are the two things I try not to judge anyone on, it's too complicated and people rarely know the real story, sometimes even those involved.
It has also been well documented that Anita liked chaos and beat Brian silly herself. As I said she wasn't Linda or Suki. People has described her as a powerful being, demanding and manipulative. Brian had no and I mean no power over her despite their violent relationship. She used the violence as an excuse for leaving Brian for Keith and Keith did as well. It's understandable since it "excuse" the shit they had done towards Brian. It doesn't matter how young Keith was or how in love he was - there really is no excuse for that behaviour. Then I agree that it was Anita's choice - well calculated for getting closer to the power of the band. Keith on his part put the whole band on jeopardy when he did what he did. Brian was about to leave in 67 according to himself but was talked out of it by Mick. At that time Brian was still an important force in the band in both sound and image.

I'm not excusing Brian's violence either - just to make it clear. But when it comes to Anita that wasn't the big issue. She gave as good as she took.

Yes, her and Keith relationship lasted for some time - true. Junkies tend to hang on to each other despite an unhealty relationship. Although we don't have all the details it seems from anecdotes (Spanish Tony for instance) that Anita wasn't very nice to Keith and used her love for Brian against him. She has said in interviews that she and Brian had something special that she never had with Keith. He must have been silly in love to put out with that shit. I mean even Keith is said to have slapped her when he got fed up.

Green Lady
I also hate the way people (not only you, gypsy18) say that the Stones' women were "passed around" as if they were so many mindless dolls with no say in the matter. Anita had a mind of her own and used it.
+1 thumbs up

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-22 19:48 by tonterapi.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 22, 2012 20:11

Tonterapi, this thread is about "Brian Jones and the Stones' office."

YOU were not there and you did not know Brian or Anita.

Much of what you you wish to believe is WRONG.

Date: September 22, 2012 20:15

stonesrule

You knew Hendrix, but got some stuff wrong about him. grinning smiley

Date: September 22, 2012 21:36

stonesrule

This thread became something else. It's a common thing on the internet and I wasn't the one who started to pull this in another direction.

Now, I base what I ""wish to believe" on books and articles I've read on the subject that in turn are based on what people who were there and did know them has said. If you want me to I can back up what I've said with quotes. So if you tell me I am wrong then you're really telling those people that they were wrong and that is pretty bold coming from a random anonymous guy on a forum.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-22 21:41 by tonterapi.

Date: September 22, 2012 22:45

I am a "random girl" who knew Brian and Anita.

Date: September 23, 2012 10:31

stonesrule
A great thing about being anonymous on the net is that you can be who you want and know who you want. I prefer names on my sources so they can be confirmed. It may very well be true that you knew Brian and Anita. But for now that claim matters as much as if I would claim I'm Mick Jagger.

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: September 23, 2012 11:17

Green Lady

I didn't mean for it to come across like that. I think Anita was and is one tough lady. Tougher than Keith.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 23, 2012 12:13

tonterapi
stonesrule

This thread became something else. It's a common thing on the internet and I wasn't the one who started to pull this in another direction.

Now, I base what I ""wish to believe" on books and articles I've read on the subject that in turn are based on what people who were there and did know them has said. If you want me to I can back up what I've said with quotes. So if you tell me I am wrong then you're really telling those people that they were wrong and that is pretty bold coming from a random anonymous guy on a forum.

Please back up, with quotes.

Date: September 23, 2012 12:32

stonesrule

Keith knew them too, hah, but yet still manages to tell different, sometimes contradictory versions of the life story depending on which interview you read.

Date: September 23, 2012 12:51

His Majesty
stonesrule

Keith knew them too, hah, but yet still manages to tell different, sometimes contradictory versions of the life story depending on which interview you read.

That's generally the 'problem' with first hand eye wittnesses - they tell their view of the things, from the base of context and position they seem to stand, and those seem vary quite a lot from person to person (and sometimes within one person, as Keith...). That's very human. Especially concerning Brian Jones the first-hand reports seem to vary hugely, as I've seen throughout the years. Perhaps something to do with Brian being "a nice bunch of blokes", as Keith described him a long time ago (and before switching that to suit to Mick). So I tend to be rather critical anyone trying to define him as 'such-and-such'.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-23 12:52 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 23, 2012 12:54

I think the problem is that Brian and Anita was a "powercouple" but they also loved eachother and at the same time couldnt live together mainly because Brian was the way he was, Anita too, and also the powerstruggle within the band. The big lie is probably Keiths account of how things happened. He moved in and took advantage of Brians behaviour, he didnt save Anita, he grabbed her at the right moment and she stayed with him because he was stable and one of the two leaders of the band. He was power, money and a safe life. He would provide a shelter. Like an older brother. She tried to get Mick but that didnt work out. Anita is almost like a female Brian, the third wheel. She replaced him in 1967. And Brian never felt out of love with her and tried to replace her with look a likes. The only one who could replace Brian was Anita. Marianne was like some ghost of Brian for a while too. And to spook things up, have a look at Marlon a Nellcote. eye popping smiley

Date: September 23, 2012 13:17

What goes for Keith's personal - and harsh - way to talk about Brian Jones, I suspect it is something like his stance to Mick is as well. He can complain what a difficult person he is, being Brenda and everything, but if someone else does that, he would defend his old friend and work parner: "you don't know anything what that man is. I can critizise the man, but I don't let anyone else to do that!" (I remember he is also said this in LIFE, or if not, in some interview). So I tend to think that if someone is saying that Brian Jones was "just an a.shole, a mess and all that", I guess Keith would respend something to effect that "what the hell do you know about that cat? Were you there when he played that killer slide in "Dust My Broom" at Marquee and blowed my and Mick's mind, or when he introduced myself to Robert Johnson, or when we freezed and starved to hell in Edith Grove while trying to figure out together the ancient art of weaving thing?".

Or this is the way I hope he would think...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 23, 2012 14:21

Doxa
His Majesty
stonesrule

That's generally the 'problem' with first hand eye wittnesses - they tell their view of the things, from the base of context and position they seem to stand, and those seem vary quite a lot from person to person (and sometimes within one person, as Keith...). That's very human. Especially concerning Brian Jones the first-hand reports seem to vary hugely, as I've seen throughout the years. Perhaps something to do with Brian being "a nice bunch of blokes", as Keith described him a long time ago (and before switching that to suit to Mick). So I tend to be rather critical anyone trying to define him as 'such-and-such'.

- Doxa

Thank you Doxa, that is exactly the point I was trying to make in an earlier post. We're talking about three people dealing with their lives through the fog of love, lust, and drugs. As I said before, it's too complicated for any of us to sit back and say, we'll Keith moved in and took advantage, and Anita knew exactly what she was doing, and poor Brian didn't stand a chance. They all made their decisions for different reasons and then lived with the consequences, like everyone does. Anita is the one who usually gets the most one-dimensional treatment, she was a power hungry witch who ensnared all these helpless men. I don't buy that one either, it's an easy a way to explain everyone's behavior by putting most of the blame on that femme fatale Anita.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 23, 2012 15:49

gypsy18
Green Lady

I didn't mean for it to come across like that. I think Anita was and is one tough lady. Tougher than Keith.

Not aimed at you in particular - just something that gets said far too often by far too many people. I didn't mean it to come over as a criticism of Anita either. Nobody in that group was either a ruthless predator or a helpless victim - as latebloomer says, a bunch of people dealing with a horrible tangle of emotions complicated by drugs and unacknowledged power struggles. Nobody comes out of it smelling of roses.

Date: September 23, 2012 15:56

Green Lady
Nobody in that group was either a ruthless predator or a helpless victim - as latebloomer says, a bunch of people dealing with a horrible tangle of emotions complicated by drugs and unacknowledged power struggles. Nobody comes out of it smelling of roses.

thumbs up

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 23, 2012 16:10

I thought Mick Jagger was in Austrailia when Brian died???? No???

Date: September 23, 2012 19:05

MingSubu
Please back up, with quotes.
What I know is an easy find. "Golden Stone" is a good start and there are more if you're curious.

latebloomer
Anita is the one who usually gets the most one-dimensional treatment, she was a power hungry witch who ensnared all these helpless men. I don't buy that one either, it's an easy a way to explain everyone's behavior by putting most of the blame on that femme fatale Anita.
I don't buy that either. My point was that there's was more to her than being a damsel in distress who got saved from a ruthless monster by the handsome prince. That's making her more stupid than she was and to deny the other side of the story. That was what made me post earlier. I was not by any means trying to say that Brian and Keith weren't responsible for their actions!

Green Lady
Nobody in that group was either a ruthless predator or a helpless victim - as latebloomer says, a bunch of people dealing with a horrible tangle of emotions complicated by drugs and unacknowledged power struggles. Nobody comes out of it smelling of roses.
+1 thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-23 19:11 by tonterapi.

Date: September 23, 2012 22:22

Green Lady expresses it well.

And those of you who think that trustworthy eyewitnesses in the inner circle have skewed perspectives or hidden agendas are also wrong.

The fact is that there were people who respected the Stones as human beings who eventually pulled way back because seeing Brian and then Keith get so very messed up was difficult to live with. Especially being around a constant procession of enablers.

Date: September 23, 2012 23:03

stonesrule

And those of you who think that trustworthy eyewitnesses in the inner circle have skewed perspectives or hidden agendas are also wrong.

The fact is that there were people who respected the Stones as human beings who eventually pulled way back because seeing Brian and then Keith get so very messed up was difficult to live with. Especially being around a constant procession of enablers.

If that (on bold) is directed to me, let me clear that I didn't claim that there are or needs to be any "skewed perspectives" or "hidden agendas". No, I just think that is very contingent (and personal) what kind of impressions one gets of any human interaction, or of any other person. And sometimes those can be very different in compared to someone's impressions, even in regards to the same event. That's what I meant when i said 'it is very human'; we see things differently, and none of us needs to lie. Mine was just a general remark, nothing especially to do with Brian Jones.

I truely trust your honesty here and respect that. And I'd really loved to hear more of your experiences in "inner circle", if you could share them here. I am sure there would be a lot of people loving to hear more. What you said in your last two senteces is really touchy, especially in regards to both Brian and Keith.

- Doxa

Date: September 23, 2012 23:25

I've been in many inner circles in my work and life and I wouldn't be here except for the fact that I am a fan of the Rolling Stones music.

As the internet grows crazier, and that includes IORR, I feel less likely to "share" since it always seems to turn into a dogfight lately. I respect many of you here but these neurotic threads that crop up make me realized I can live perfectly happy without seeing my favorite band again.

I am going to take frequent breaks from IORR to decide if I can see the band in concert without thinking of some of the ludicrous posts that increasingly are posted here.

Date: September 24, 2012 00:48

stonesrule
As the internet grows crazier, and that includes IORR, I feel less likely to "share" since it always seems to turn into a dogfight lately. I respect many of you here but these neurotic threads that crop up make me realized I can live perfectly happy without seeing my favorite band again.

I am going to take frequent breaks from IORR to decide if I can see the band in concert without thinking of some of the ludicrous posts that increasingly are posted here.
Yeah and posts like this are the perfect start for a dogfight.

stonesrule

No explanations or anything. Just that I am WRONG and that I pull info out of my ass because I wish to believe certain things. Great!

If you have so much insight then why not share it? I have no problem with a well written post that totally trash things I've come to know through books, articles, interviews and what have you. I stand corrected. But you got to start with telling me why I'm wrong and what the true version of it is according to you.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home