Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 53
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 18, 2014 07:07

jazzbass
The biggest reason there has never been a real Zeppelin reunion tour, is because there is no way Plant could sustain those Zeppelin vocals over the duration of a major tour. He just doesn't have the voice for it anymore. That's also why the one off O2 show worked so well.

I saw him do a lot of Zeppelin in his solo show a couple of years but I agree, closing in on 70 Zeppelin-style wails are probably a thing of the past.

Date: September 18, 2014 07:11

stonehearted
keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
As a solo artist (not including collaborative albums with Page and Krauss), his last U.S. gold record was over 20 years ago--and the same goes for the UK and Canada. His three principal markets just don't buy him as a solo artist and haven't in decades.

so who cares how long ago his last gold album was. he was a gold-platinum selling artist with his projects until the late 90's. and then had one again when he teamed with krauss. you can actually say rejoining page in the 90's is what derailed his solo career

That's what I indicated in my post, that his more successful work post-1993 came in collaboration with other major artists, not as a solo artist. His bland, lackluster debut, Pictures At Eleven, in 1982 only went platinum because the public was hungry for any new Zeppelin-related material, and it did sound kind of like a follow-up to In Through The Outdoor.

Rejoining Page in the nineties derailed his solo career? Really? You can actually say that? As if his solo career will have some kind of lasting legacy?

Or, you can actually say that joining Page to begin with in the late sixties derailed his vitally important, inevitable solo career. Who needs Led Zeppelin anyway? It's kid's stuff. Let's just leave it behind and never listen to it again. We'd rather pay to see singers from great groups rather than the groups that made them great to begin with.

Speaking of leaving the old jukebox behind, let's only listen to and post about SuperHeavy from now on. Because it's more interesting and varied.

And hey, some of us championing in this thread solo careers from great groups in this thread have also been posting in that Kinks thread speculating on a reunion. Who needs it? Ray and Dave are both great solo, so let's just leave it behind.

In fact, let's just leave all rock groups behind. To hell with groups. Behind every great lead singer of every great rock group is a gloriously interesting and varied solo career just waiting to happen.

Yes, let's be honest. We don't want the greatness arising from the sum being more than the parts. Greatness is boring. We want to just settle for the parts.

And who cares about more boring Rolling Stones concerts, when we have SuperHeavy II to look forward to?

If it weren't for these Stones tours, we'd have more solo material from individual members. You can actually say that their rejoining with each other every few years has derailed their solo careers, and has done so for decades.

lets look.

robert plant was a very successful solo artist from 1982-1993 racking up over 8 million in sales with his 6 albums and an EP. he had 6 top 40 hits on the pop chart and 21 top 20 hits on the rock charts including 5 #1s. he was headlining pretty big venues, even had the black crowes as his opener in the early 90's. he rejoined page for a few years to mixed results. in the early 00's he resumed his solo career when the rock scene had changed, he wasn't given the same level of label support and instead of having a hip current sound like before he came back with a more roots folk sound. easy to see why his last solo success was 21 years ago

i specifically said rejooining page in the 90's derailed his solo career. the post i just made proved he was successful as a solo artist before reteaming with page. then you talk about his work prior to led zeppelin even though i never mentioned that. most of your long post was totally irrelevant and useless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 07:14 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 18, 2014 07:28

<<totally irrelevant and useless>>

Like Robert Plant's long solo career.

Admit it, you'd rather attend a SuperHeavy concert than one by the Stones.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2014 07:58

Still surprised Plant can't sell out the Hollywood Paladium which has a max. capacity of 3,700.
Tickets have been on sale since Aug. 15 with a variety of multiple presales prior to that.

While admittedly not a fan of Plant solo stuff, I'm certainly not dissing him here...just find it a bit mysterious. drinking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 18, 2014 08:33

^ Neither am I dissing him, although it may have sounded like it, and I like some of his solo stuff. I can still recall the song Far Posts, which was a B-side in 1983 or so.

All I'm saying is the public wants what Page wants. What's a few months to a year? He'd still have his solo pursuits afterward, and probably bigger returns concert-wise.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 18, 2014 08:56

I don't particularly like these discussions, but here goes with my answer to add onto what I said earlier.

Zeppelin are kings. Who doesn't want Zeppelin? They were amazing. WERE! They were one of the few bands to do it right and when the drummer died that was it! You couldn't go on without the original 4. You weren't the Who, you weren't the Stones. They all kept going and for the most part stayed too late at the party. The fact that Zeppelin ended with Bonham was always commendable.

You get a few reunions. 1985, 88, the Page and Plant years. Then the big one in 2007. So 2007 comes around, and as a young person that never saw Zeppelin I was like "Yes, please! You have to tour!" Plant was the dick that wouldn't do it. He was SO against it and I couldn't understand why. Like, at all. It made no sense to me.

Finally it clicks with me maybe 2 years later: its the past! It isn't Zeppelin anymore. You have the guys that are still alive and you have Bonham's son, but it isn't Zeppelin. Its a band that kind of demands these guys in their 20s and 30s to bang their heads. They are at the same level as the Stones, and of course I'm happy the Stones have continued. But the Stones always seemed eternal. Zeppelin wasn't. Zeppelin was the 70s. The band died and they couldn't top themselves. Their albums were already starting to suck.

I don't know if I'm being clear or not, but them not reuniting makes sense in my mind. The clearest I can make it is I finally see the Celebration Day film with some friends. Its amazing. This is Zeppelin on the big screen in all their glory! Plant sounds great and so do the rest of them. I walk out and the first thing my girlfriend says is "did he really have to grab his ass the whole time. He looked like a weird old grandpa."

That right there. THATS why he doesn't want to do it and he's absolutely right and he's absolutely not being selfish. They are TOO OLD! It doesn't have the same effect anymore. It does on those that really want to remember it and for young people that love it, but its a thing of the past. They are now in their 60s and it just doesn't look right.

And its the worst for Plant. He has to live up to that legacy of the powerful vocals that had his shirt open and ruled the earth. And he just isn't that guy anymore. Sure his vocals were iffy, but he did AMAZING with what he could in the 2007 show, and I don't use that lightly. As long as Page can play guitar, he's fine. Same for the other musicians.

Robert is different, as all singers are. He has a legacy, he realizes he isn't that guy anymore, and he doesn't try to pretend he is. As soon as that becomes clear, its almost unfathomable to think he actually did the 07 reunion at all. Thats as close as it comes and that one date is a triumphant way to close the books. I'm sorry, but he's right. He knows that anyone else singing isn't Zeppelin, and he knows that Zeppelin isn't what it once was. He doesn't have the emotional connection needed for it anymore and its commendable that he's moved on. The same way its commendable that the band ended with Bonham.

He doesn't mean harm, its just how he feels. And good on him for not pretending. I'm sure he'll talk about Zeppelin as much as the next guy, but he can't reinhabit that spirit and tour again. Its not who he is now. Its a past life of his and he has moved on to other things as everyone does in life. And its dickish of Page to say he's wrong because I don't think he truly gets what it means for Plant. He doesn't hate Zeppelin, he just wants them to rest in peace.

Maybe its clear. I don't know. All I'm saying is it took me awhile to realize this, and once I did I couldn't look back. I just wanted to go up to Robert and be like "listen, you pissed me off for years, but you were right and I was wrong. At least one person knows that."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 08:59 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2014 09:27

From what I've read, more than half of Robert Plant's current setlist's consist of Led Zeppelin songs...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 18, 2014 09:38

Hairball
From what I've read, more than half of Robert Plant's current setlist's consist of Led Zeppelin songs...

I love reading concerts.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 18, 2014 09:41

RollingFreak

I just wanted to go up to Robert and be like "listen, you pissed me off for years, but you were right and I was wrong. At least one person knows that."

Two.

And thousands more, actually.

Date: September 18, 2014 09:42

Hairball

he does 1/2 zeppelin tunes, some covers and some new material. the zeppelin tunes are rearranged a lot though. all of them are played in a folk country style. he rarely plays any older solo material, older meaning 1982-1993.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 18, 2014 12:56

the concert in New Orleans 2014

http://youtu.be

Setlist:
01 - Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You
02 - Spoonful
03 - Black Dog
04 - Tin Pan Valley
05 - Going To California
06 - In The Mood
07 - Little Maggie
08 - The Enchanter
09 - Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
10 - What Is And What Should Never Be

11 - Fixin' To Die
12 - Seventh Son / Whole Lotta Love
13 - Rock And Roll

Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters

New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, April 26, 2014

Fairgrounds, New Orleans, LA, USA

"he does 1/2 zeppelin tunes, some covers and some new material. the zeppelin tunes are rearranged a lot though. all of them are played in a folk country style." sounds like a good description

Date: September 18, 2014 13:30

djgab
the concert in New Orleans 2014

http://youtu.be

Setlist:
01 - Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You
02 - Spoonful
03 - Black Dog
04 - Tin Pan Valley
05 - Going To California
06 - In The Mood
07 - Little Maggie
08 - The Enchanter
09 - Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
10 - What Is And What Should Never Be

11 - Fixin' To Die
12 - Seventh Son / Whole Lotta Love
13 - Rock And Roll

Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters

New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, April 26, 2014

Fairgrounds, New Orleans, LA, USA

"he does 1/2 zeppelin tunes, some covers and some new material. the zeppelin tunes are rearranged a lot though. all of them are played in a folk country style." sounds like a good description

only zeppelin tunes he doesn't drastically rearrange are the ones that already sounded folk country like "going to california". every now and again he will throw in 1 or 2 solo songs from 1982-1993. that setlist he threw in "in the mood"

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 18, 2014 14:06

Well it does seem quite strange for a man who claims to not to want to relive his past to spend so much of his short set list doing Zep songs. And what short set lists indeed!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 18, 2014 14:09

Robert Plant's new cd is very good & I've heard some good tapes from gigs. I'll go see him if given the opportunity. I got to meet him once during the tour when Black Crowes opened. He was very nice & down to earth. The record label guy was like "no photos, not autographs!". Robert came in the room & the first thing he did was start posing for photos with folks & signing autographs for all who asked. Very cool for someone of his stature I thought at the time. I've met a lot of lesser lights who were way less gracious. I really admire how he has followed his muse & held fast on the Zeppelin reunion. It just wouldn't be the same without Bonzo. Sorry, Jason is ok but I've never been overwhelmed by his drumming.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 18, 2014 14:58

crholmstrom
Robert Plant's new cd is very good & I've heard some good tapes from gigs. I'll go see him if given the opportunity. I got to meet him once during the tour when Black Crowes opened. He was very nice & down to earth.
I've met a lot of lesser lights who were way less gracious. I really admire how he has followed his muse & held fast on the Zeppelin reunion. It just wouldn't be the same without Bonzo. Sorry, Jason is ok but I've never been overwhelmed by his drumming.

thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 18, 2014 15:39

okay here is my two cents about robert plant and led zeppelin .after the passing of john bonham ,that was the end of led zeppelin .this was a supergroup in terms of crafting there magic ,the four of them page , plant, jones, and bonham. you cannot replace one of them .this was a magic formula where they were super awesome muscians in there own right .john bonham propeled that thunderous beat, lets not forget that plant and bonham were friends from before joining zeppelin.as much as i admire and respect page for wanting to keep zeppelin alive ,it would not be the same without bonham (nice touch that zeppelin would use jason (john's son).so plant is keeping it real and knowing that he cant hit those high notes anymore (which is okay) and you cannot live in the past and recreate magic that ended in 1980 .

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 18, 2014 16:00

TheGreek
you cannot live in the past and recreate magic that ended in 1980

I used to feel this way myself. Then I realized we all get older and things change. I don't really get the leave the legacy alone bit. If there are people that would enjoy this and the musicians are into doing it I don't see a problem. Many people have said The Stones should have quit decades ago. Yet here we are raging about how great the latest tour is. Myself included. My point, old musicians should continue and who cares what's happening in music in the distant future. If they dig it then fine, if not I'm sure they'll survive somehow.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: September 18, 2014 16:44

My two cents: Robert Plant is still miles beyond virtually anyone else in the business as a blues-rock singer and frontman. A friend of mine (not a fan at all of Plant's solo work) saw him live recently and was blown away. No, he can't hit the high notes in the way he used to, but there's an age and a maturity in his voice that wasn't there before. To me, the assuredness that comes with middle age is a more important quality in a singer than the technical measure of their vocal range. I'm sure Plant isn't totally against the idea of a Zeppelin reunion tour: he probably just feels (most of the time) that he has more interesting things to do.

The issue with a Zeppelin reunion is not Robert Plant, it's Jimmy Page, who doesn't seem to play guitar much anymore and has little interest in performing live. Doesn't matter how talented you are, you have to use your chops or you'll lose them - and Page has lost them. To me, Zeppelin were all about improvisation, and that was totally absent from the 2007 show because Page was playing guitar solos he'd figured out note-for-note. Don't believe me? Listen to Celebration Day and then listen to the leaked soundboard of the Shepperton dress rehearsal (it's on YouTube).

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 18, 2014 17:05

TheGreek
you cannot live in the past and recreate magic that ended in 1980 .

Make that "you cannot live in the past and recreate magic that ended in 1975" grinning smiley
though some 1977 shows were fantastic (the L.A. ones in particular).

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 18, 2014 17:21

1975? Some people would say 1970 or even earlier, ha-ha. To be honest I'm in that category myself but I still enjoy seeing/hearing my favorites playing today. I don't even mind Chuck Berry, who many have blasted for having the nerve to go onstage and play so horribly. Anyhow, back to Zep, I do believe they could get together and make something nice. Certainly not on the level of their heyday, but then again it might turn out great. I recall in 2009/10 talking to somebody who knows people in the business that The Stones would never tour again because Keith was not able to play guitar and that couldn't be changed. Hmm, know what I mean?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 18, 2014 17:23

RollingFreak
Plant is right. It took me 5 years from the show to realize it, but he everything he has said is correct. Put Zeppelin to rest, and he's not grumpy. He's realistic and doesn't understand why others don't get it.

And now that I see his point, I don't get why others don't either. There's nothing new on these Zep CDs. I don't care about alternate takes either. Its not Plant's fault that Page hasn't moved on from Zeppelin in 30 years. Page unnecessarily puts it on Plant to be a dick, but Page is a child. And I love Jimmy Page. But move the @#$%& on.

I like them. They are interesting. Plant is a grump. He always has been. But he's a funny grump. So he sees no relevancy in the extra discs. He can not see what he wants. I find them to be fantastic.

It's not much different than the Voodoo Brew etc boots from the VOODOO LOUNGE sessions, which are fantastic. If only someone would put out the SOME GIRLS leftovers that have sounded like shit for so many years in a good way...

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 18, 2014 17:28

Stoneburst
My two cents: Robert Plant is still miles beyond virtually anyone else in the business as a blues-rock singer and frontman. A friend of mine (not a fan at all of Plant's solo work) saw him live recently and was blown away. No, he can't hit the high notes in the way he used to, but there's an age and a maturity in his voice that wasn't there before. To me, the assuredness that comes with middle age is a more important quality in a singer than the technical measure of their vocal range. I'm sure Plant isn't totally against the idea of a Zeppelin reunion tour: he probably just feels (most of the time) that he has more interesting things to do.

The issue with a Zeppelin reunion is not Robert Plant, it's Jimmy Page, who doesn't seem to play guitar much anymore and has little interest in performing live. Doesn't matter how talented you are, you have to use your chops or you'll lose them - and Page has lost them. To me, Zeppelin were all about improvisation, and that was totally absent from the 2007 show because Page was playing guitar solos he'd figured out note-for-note. Don't believe me? Listen to Celebration Day and then listen to the leaked soundboard of the Shepperton dress rehearsal (it's on YouTube).

I get what you're saying about Plant's voice, but to me it's kind of the Elton John defense. To me, that feature is what gave them that extra something that makes them special. Seeing them do radically different vocal takes of old songs is depressing for me. They can do whatever they want, though, and it has no bearing on any new material live that they can recreate faithfully.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: September 18, 2014 20:51

treaclefingers
Hairball

I love reading concerts.

grinning smiley

I saw him on the Band of Joy tour and thoroughly enjoyed the show.
I am quite into this new track of Plant's:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 20:54 by andrewt.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 18, 2014 21:49

" And what short set lists indeed!"
it was part of the New Orleans festival
thus one could assume that all set may be rather shorter than usual concert

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: September 19, 2014 02:11

I just wish Page had been as active as Plant and JPJ have been over the last 34 years and particularly the last 16 or so.

Page has done nothing musically that I am aware of over the last 16 years except pour over old tapes re-releasing their (Zep) old albums. And that IMO is a real disappointment.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 19, 2014 02:15

1cdog
I just wish Page had been as active as Plant and JPJ have been over the last 34 years and particularly the last 16 or so.

Page has done nothing musically that I am aware of over the last 16 years except pour over old tapes re-releasing their (Zep) old albums. And that IMO is a real disappointment.

True, as far as just Jimmy, I'd have to say Outrider was his last great moment.

Date: September 19, 2014 19:27

The nice thing is Plant doesn't have to buy the reissues. Nor does anyone that thinks they are being ripped off etc.

See how easy that is? He's such a GRUMP! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 19, 2014 19:30

I wish the Stones would reissue some albums with a second disc for all the studio LPs that they amassed such a large amount of recordings for. I get the wanting to finish some songs but it shouldn't be a priority ie the whining 'no one will buy them if they're not finished' crap. If no one would buy them WHY ARE THERE BOOTLEGS!!?? Or perhaps why do people like/love the boots so much?

I like the extra discs with the Zep reissues. In no way do they detract from the albums.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 19, 2014 19:30

i am buying them for the bonus material esp. on zeooelin 1 for the live concert from 1969

Date: September 19, 2014 22:34

TheGreek
i am buying them for the bonus material esp. on zeooelin 1 for the live concert from 1969

yeah the incomplete live concert that is also edited on some tracks. thats the problem with page doing this stuff

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1301
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home