Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 53
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 28, 2015 02:13

RollingFreak
shadooby
To me both versions of Kashmir sound identical, so what's the point?

I agree. And it infuriated me when I listened to it with my dad and he said "well thats different. Never heard that before" and I yelled "yes you have! Its exactly the same! You're doing selective memory and convincing yourself its new!" And it makes me sound like an @#$%&, but in the end anything thats different most people wouldn't notice. And my dad is most people.

Come on, Jimmy!

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and it's a rarity that the exact same version was included in place of the alternate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-28 02:17 by shadooby.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 28, 2015 03:34

shadooby
RollingFreak
shadooby
To me both versions of Kashmir sound identical, so what's the point?

I agree. And it infuriated me when I listened to it with my dad and he said "well thats different. Never heard that before" and I yelled "yes you have! Its exactly the same! You're doing selective memory and convincing yourself its new!" And it makes me sound like an @#$%&, but in the end anything thats different most people wouldn't notice. And my dad is most people.

Come on, Jimmy!

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and it's a rarity that the exact same version was included in place of the alternate.

Kashmir rough mix is exactly what its title says : a rough mix without added overdubs or echo of the final version. Basically you listen to the band playing the song live without any studio gimmicks. For example just listen carefully to Bonham's drumming. In the final version there's some effect added on it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 28, 2015 03:39

Svartmer
Considering the amount of time Jimmy Page dedicates to this ongoing project I think the sound on these remasters is a huge disappointment. Even Mothership from 2007 sounds better.

MOTHERSHIP is close to being brickwalled. That may be why you think this remaster doesn't sound as good? I think it (PG and all the other remastered LPs) sounds excellent. It's not blasted. There's still plenty of room to turn it up.

Date: February 28, 2015 03:44

I agree with Kowalski. And I really like hearing the differences in the songs as they were working on them. Working mixes provide a sonic glimpse of what into the songs work wise, production wise, editing wise. Overdub wise.

If these were Stones companion discs...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 28, 2015 03:50

I just got the Super Deluxe Physical Graffiti and it sounds incredible! Especially the vinyl. Beautiful. The box is a work of art. Amazing. I am a bit disappointed there isn't more live material as an extra, but it is what it is. I still think these super deluxe boxes are lovely. And the sound so far has been stellar!

Date: February 28, 2015 03:52

Hilarious, innit. Imagine STICKY-UNDERCOVER reissues like this...

Date: February 28, 2015 12:27

It was quite a treat to rip a few bong hits and sip on some brandy and listen to the 24bit download through my EMOTIVA DAC player (with a nice built in headphones amp). Stunning sound for PG!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 28, 2015 13:33

whitem8
It was quite a treat to rip a few bong hits and sip on some brandy and listen to the 24bit download through my EMOTIVA DAC player (with a nice built in headphones amp). Stunning sound for PG!

Do you live in Washington, Colorado, Alaska or DC? Or Amsterdam, maybe?

Date: February 28, 2015 13:34

Nope. I live in Southeast Asia. . .

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 28, 2015 13:55

I didn't buy the deluxe versions of any of the new remasters except the first one. Not big on the alternate versions. That being said, I'm quite impressed by the remastering job on the albums. I'm hearing a lot of parts that I've never heard clearly before. The drum & bass sound is quite good also. John Paul Jones is a brilliant bass player & no slouch on the keyboards either. Just my opinion.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 1, 2015 18:23

So they never solved the 1973 Drake Hotel robbery yet?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 1, 2015 18:47

crholmstrom
John Paul Jones is a brilliant bass player & no slouch on the keyboards either. Just my opinion.

A shared opinion. The best musician in that group, imho. I once had the pleasure of jamming with him in a studio setting. All we had was a cheap $300 bass guitar sitting around at the time and he made it sound like a vintage Fender Precision. A super nice, unpretentious fellow too. peace

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 1, 2015 20:25

Naturalust
crholmstrom
John Paul Jones is a brilliant bass player & no slouch on the keyboards either. Just my opinion.

A shared opinion. The best musician in that group, imho. I once had the pleasure of jamming with him in a studio setting. All we had was a cheap $300 bass guitar sitting around at the time and he made it sound like a vintage Fender Precision. A super nice, unpretentious fellow too. peace

Nice Naturalust! Are you a professional musician, how did that come about and what did you play with him. I remember that music video you did a couple of years ago (was it a Zep tune?), thought it sounded real good....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-01 21:10 by 2000 LYFH.

Date: March 1, 2015 22:01

2000 LYFH
Naturalust
crholmstrom

Nice Naturalust! Are you a professional musician, how did that come about and what did you play with him. I remember that music video you did a couple of years ago (was it a Zep tune?), thought it sounded real good....

Thx 200LYFH, I'm a semi-pro musician these days...I do a lot of other projects too. At that time I was doing some business with a company that his company (JPJ Communications) was also doing business with. He showed up at their studio in the SF Bay area one afternoon and someone talked him into a jam. It went on for about an hour and we played mostly blues cover tunes...I remember Little Wing and Red House (Hendrix) and Blue Jean Blues (ZZ Top), a few other "standards". I recall he also spent some time playing some acoustic instruments definitely a mandolin and possibly a mandola.

He plugged into an old Fender Bassman amp with a 4x10 cabinet and used basically this toy bass guitar. I think part the session was even recorded but I'm pretty sure the studio owners wouldn't let it get out for obvious reasons.

Here is that mobile phone recording I did of No Quarter. I was basically just testing the recording capability of my phone, it's amazing what you can do with one of them these days. peace

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 2, 2015 13:18

whitem8

Hang on there buddy. I'll be round as soon as I can raise the cash for a plane ticket. >grinning smiley<

Date: March 2, 2015 13:37

Silver you are more than welcome any time! I have a guest room, a pretty good stereo, and shit, its Thailand!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 10, 2015 03:54

Date: March 10, 2015 04:22

Enjoyed that Hairball, thanks for the post. Speaking of Physical Graffiti, I couldn't help notice that Page seems to be rather physically uncomfortable. I hope he's in good health but it appears he's aged a lot in a relatively short period of time.

peace

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 10, 2015 12:16

thank Naturalust for your No Quarter.
good cover with an original feel cool smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 10, 2015 12:34

Naturalust
Enjoyed that Hairball, thanks for the post. Speaking of Physical Graffiti, I couldn't help notice that Page seems to be rather physically uncomfortable. I hope he's in good health but it appears he's aged a lot in a relatively short period of time.

peace

Think him & Keith shared some ahhhhh interests that tend to catch up with one. Not from personal experience but have seen it in some friends. Plant seems to be aging gracefully.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 10, 2015 12:50

Perhaps Jimmy's 20-something girlfriend is wearing him out.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: March 10, 2015 13:04

He must have talked about those zeppelin albums a thousand times by now, no wonder he looks tired. The reporter says she´s never heard another album with that variety of styles, she obviously missed the White album.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 10, 2015 13:08

crholmstrom
Naturalust

peace

Think him & Keith shared some ahhhhh interests that tend to catch up with one. Not from personal experience but have seen it in some friends. Plant seems to be aging gracefully.

Certain substances.. and I'm not talking about yak dung biscuits, have a permanent deleterious effect on the nervous system. One notable characteristic is physical agitation, as well as the inability to be physically calm and in this pernicious thrall for the need to "move".

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 13, 2015 01:32

Page annoyed by Led Zeppelin MP3 'jiggery-pokery'

Guitarist and producer Jimmy hopes he’s made remastered catalogue future-proof

Jimmy Page hopes he’s dealt with the problem of poor-quality Led Zeppelin MP3s – and that he’s also made his latest remasters future-proof.

The latest in his series of re-releases is classic album Physical Graffiti, launched last month complete with a companion disc featuring additional material from the studio sessions from four decades ago.

And he says that, of all the current formats, MP3 is the one that he finds “most annoying.”

Page tells Kerrang Radio: “I wasn’t listening – but I’d be confronted with Led Zeppelin music on MP3. It almost sounded like it had been remixed, and not very well at that.”

He regrets that his efforts to achieve “transience and depth” in the original productions seemed to have been lost. “They were mixed in stereo with a depth-of-field to them, with everything in focus,” he says. “To have it squashed down is not how it was intended to be.

“It’s the jiggery-pokery that goes on. But if you review the situation of how things are listened to, and approach vinyl, CDs and digital separately, it’s not one size fits all. I wouldn’t do that – not at this point in time.”

As for the future, Page reports: “We’ve got high-resolution files for whatever’s going to come down the line. It was essential to do that, to make sure you don’t have to remaster again for a number of years.”

[classicrock.teamrock.com]

Date: March 13, 2015 02:36

I'm not defending mp3's at all, I am a huge supporter of the high-resolution revolution and a huge opponent of the loudness wars...but

I'd love to give Page some high bit rate mp3's of some of his material and have him do a blind listening test to see if he could actually tell the difference between them and his precious masters. After all the years of super loud Marshall stacks he's been subject to, I'd bet good money he would be fooled by some of the results.

I have done blind listening tests with some of the best sound mixers in the music and film business...listening to sampled music at different resolutions, amazingly more than half of them picked out lower resolution stuff with some of the music and their hearing was probably much less abused than Jimmy's. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 13, 2015 19:04

Big Al
Perhaps Jimmy's 20-something girlfriend is wearing him out.

20 something...isnt that a bit old for Jimmy?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 13, 2015 19:30

Naturalust

I have done blind listening tests with some of the best sound mixers in the music and film business...listening to sampled music at different resolutions, amazingly more than half of them picked out lower resolution stuff with some of the music and their hearing was probably much less abused than Jimmy's. smoking smiley

peace

I'd venture to say the top-end $$$$$ pro gear you listen the samples on hid the fact that mp3 is very thin and hollow compared to FLAC or HD.

On "normal" consumer-grade gear the difference is much more obvious. HD files have a presence mp3 is severely deprived of. Plus the music in HD has a nice "ghost"/sustaining quality that's surprising (at 1st) and exciting.

Date: March 13, 2015 20:19

dcba
Naturalust

peace

I'd venture to say the top-end $$$$$ pro gear you listen the samples on hid the fact that mp3 is very thin and hollow compared to FLAC or HD.

On "normal" consumer-grade gear the difference is much more obvious. HD files have a presence mp3 is severely deprived of. Plus the music in HD has a nice "ghost"/sustaining quality that's surprising (at 1st) and exciting.

You are right and We didn't actually listen to mp3's, just stuff from 16-bit 44.1kHz to 24-bit 96KHz. I was just speculating that Jimmy Page likely has some pretty serious hearing loss issues due to his age and history of extremely loud and long concerts. He would be a one in a million case if he didn't.

How many of you can even hear this 15kHz sine wave? It's well within the range for what's considered normal (20Hz-22kHz) but probably 80-90% of people over the age of 50 won't hear a thing.

peace

Date: March 13, 2015 22:04

CRAP that practically hurt!

Date: March 14, 2015 00:19

GasLightStreet
CRAP that practically hurt!

It's a good thing...throw away all your mp3's! grinning smiley

I'm sure there are folks here who can't hear it at all....not to say some might not feel it somehow...

peace

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1287
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home