Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 53
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 23, 2014 16:20

Svartmer
I think that video is rather pathetic. He´s been bragging about the fantastic structure of that song in a million interviews by now. That man is really living in the past.

Yeah it's so Spinal Tap-ish. I mean STH is like Am G F and there must be a D chord added for good measure. Hardly revolutionary.
What Page did invent is the blaring vulgar guitar solo that covers the entire fretboard. Yuck... grinning smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 23, 2014 17:39

I think that video is wonderful, and I'm not even a huge Stairway fan. Except for that brilliant solo.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 23, 2014 18:12

treaclefingers
Svartmer
I think that video is rather pathetic. He´s been bragging about the fantastic structure of that song in a million interviews by now. That man is really living in the past.

Well if I wrote and recorded that song I'd be doing the exact same thing.

It probably isn't obvious to Svartmer that it's simply for the reissues... one of the biggest tracks ever done in the history of rock.

Maybe when the Stones release another version of a hits compilation we'll get a video of Keith sitting in some chair drinking his Martian formula talking about how he snored for 48 hours to get 30 seconds of a guitar line...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 23, 2014 19:45

Thanks for posting the video Hairball. I haddn't seen that and enjoyed seeing it. Agree with Naturalust that it would be cool to see either Mick or Keith doing something similar.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 23, 2014 19:54

Nice video.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 23, 2014 22:23

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Svartmer

It probably isn't obvious to Svartmer that it's simply for the reissues... one of the biggest tracks ever done in the history of rock.

Maybe when the Stones release another version of a hits compilation we'll get a video of Keith sitting in some chair drinking his Martian formula talking about how he snored for 48 hours to get 30 seconds of a guitar line...

It´s obvious that he´s totally obsessed with Led Zeppelin and his own importance. I prefer a snoring Keith anytime.

Date: October 23, 2014 22:39

Well, it was his band...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 23, 2014 23:25

Well here is a song by Spirit that came out a few years before Stairway. Another rip off by Zep. You decide.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2014 23:50

Svartmer
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Svartmer

It´s obvious that he´s totally obsessed with Led Zeppelin and his own importance. I prefer a snoring Keith anytime.

Lucky Keith's not totally obsessed with the Rolling Stones.

That would be tough to take.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 24, 2014 05:25

Definitely sounds like he borrowed the riff from Randy California! They are just too similar not to think so. Probably even fretted the same way.

I'm not sure how much that effects the copyright of the song since the melody and lyrics are the deciding factors.

Hopefully Page settles out of court and pays the estate a few bucks to keep in all fair and out of the headlines. If he has to add songwriting credit after he has discussed the way the song was written I think it would be too much for him.

peace

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: October 24, 2014 12:45

whitem8
Gorman is a great drummer. And played the Zep parts excellent. It was Page's back. He threw it out and even had to cancel the Asian leg of the tour. I was going to go to Tokyo, but they cancelled. I doubt that Page cared about the partying. Chris is mostly into ganja.
They were going to tour Australia as a double bill with The Who in early 2001.The dates were announced but tickets never went on sale.I'm still getting over it and the cancelled Kinks Aussie tour in 1995!

Date: October 24, 2014 15:50

Naturalust
Definitely sounds like he borrowed the riff from Randy California! They are just too similar not to think so. Probably even fretted the same way.

I'm not sure how much that effects the copyright of the song since the melody and lyrics are the deciding factors.

Hopefully Page settles out of court and pays the estate a few bucks to keep in all fair and out of the headlines. If he has to add songwriting credit after he has discussed the way the song was written I think it would be too much for him.

peace

If it's a part that sounds exactly or almost exactly the same - a lifting - that's all it takes. It doesn't matter how much the rest of the song differs. The chorus to Anybody Seen My Baby was all it took to freak Mick out. And there's no doubting what Stairway To Heaven's opening lines sounds like.

And listening to Taurus one would have to be a look the other way like the government complete fool to say otherwise.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 27, 2014 12:23

For French speaking fans : [www.franceinter.fr]

Very compelling interview.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 1, 2014 00:48

Is it just me or does Houses of the Holy sound the least like the original mix? I mean, it's not bad but different.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 1, 2014 03:21

kowalski
For French speaking fans : [www.franceinter.fr]

Very compelling interview.

I'm diggin' The Song Remains the Same remix.

Oh my my my.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-01 03:24 by custom55.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 1, 2014 03:27

I like

[youtu.be]

Date: November 5, 2014 10:06

I totally enjoyed Page's talk in NYC last night--it was live-streamed, so anybody interested probably heard it, but I think the venue may be posting the video shortly, in which case I'll post a link here. Nothing dramatically new (unless you've got more confidence in the "super secret project" he claims to be working on, leading to live 2015 appearances, than I do), but it was just so enjoyable to hear him talk about his career, geeky stuff like how he recorded the guitars for Achilles Last Stand, what songs he was playing in various iconic pictures (including one where he was playing the only-just-released instrumental La La), what he was aiming for musically with his various projects, etc., etc. If you're a Zep fan, you just get the warm fuzzies hearing him immediately launch into how he heard Bonzo for the first time and there was never anybody else he wanted as a drummer. smiling smiley At one point somebody shouted "Jimmy, you're a god!", and he covered his face and said "I'm quite shy, really." grinning smiley

Anyway, it was an event I was very glad I had a chance to attend.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 5, 2014 13:44

jimmy page is also on late show with dave letterman , i think it is thursday night

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: November 6, 2014 01:36

Aquamarine
I totally enjoyed Page's talk in NYC last night--it was live-streamed, so anybody interested probably heard it, but I think the venue may be posting the video shortly, in which case I'll post a link here. Nothing dramatically new (unless you've got more confidence in the "super secret project" he claims to be working on, leading to live 2015 appearances, than I do), but it was just so enjoyable to hear him talk about his career, geeky stuff like how he recorded the guitars for Achilles Last Stand, what songs he was playing in various iconic pictures (including one where he was playing the only-just-released instrumental La La), what he was aiming for musically with his various projects, etc., etc. If you're a Zep fan, you just get the warm fuzzies hearing him immediately launch into how he heard Bonzo for the first time and there was never anybody else he wanted as a drummer. smiling smiley At one point somebody shouted "Jimmy, you're a god!", and he covered his face and said "I'm quite shy, really." grinning smiley

I just watched this interview with Jeff Koons online.

92Y Jimmy Page with Jeff Koons Interview

Errr, was Jimmy coked up during it? He is touching his nose like crazy, appears to be animated and fidgety compared to his London interview at Cadogan Hall, which I attended.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 6, 2014 01:48

SonicDreamer
Aquamarine

Errr, was Jimmy coked up during it? He is touching his nose like crazy, appears to be animated and fidgety compared to his London interview at Cadogan Hall, which I attended.

Cheers,
SonicD

That's nothing new. I guess he still enjoys his Coke, even at his age! (Maybe he should switch to Pepsi...I can't believe I said thatdrinking smiley)

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: November 6, 2014 02:58

SonicDreamer
Aquamarine

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted this on ledzeppelin.com and the Mods deleted it, how lame is that....

Posted by: erad ()
Date: November 6, 2014 03:39

Page wouldn't have been coked up, no way. Just nerves imo.

Date: November 6, 2014 04:35

SonicDreamer
SonicDreamer
Aquamarine

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted this on ledzeppelin.com and the Mods deleted it, how lame is that....

The link to it was already posted here: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/21802-jimmy-page-to-give-a-talk-on-his-photo-autobiography-on-november-3-in-nyc/page-7 That post is still up, so no knowing why your link was deleted. I never understand that forum.

And no, Jimmy didn't strike me as being coked up at all, just animated. smiling smiley (If you mentioned the possibility on lz.com, though, that would explain the deletion--it's the band's official/authorized forum, the mods are under instruction to delete all suggestions like that. Rightly or wrongly.)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 6, 2014 09:18

Jimmy is definitely not coked up, just very English. winking smiley He is lucid and excited to be about talking about his legacy and life, and obviously still very infatuated with his Led Zep days as many of us are.

But for us it's understandable, I kinda though he would have moved on a bit. Sir Paul for instance seems a bit reluctant to talk about his Beatle days and although he gets roped into it quite often, he has obviously moved on.

Jeff Koons comes across as a total kook, imho, and I wonder how much better this interview could have been with a decent host. I would even have preferred Howard Stern to this guy. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 6, 2014 14:49

Just got both Led Zepp 4 and Houses of The Holy reissues and really disappointed.

There is hardly an audible difference between these remasters and the ones from 90s. And the extra material is so close to the origina lversions that they were hardly worth releasing.

Gotta look upon these reissues as a great opportunity missed. We could have had stunning 5.1 mixes like those recently achieved for the Yes albums. We could have had video content - at least for the Houses album from the 73 tour.
We could have had far more interesting alternate versions and demos.

Instead the best things on the extra discs were a new mix for When The Levee Breaks and a nifty version of The Song Remains The Same. As for the karaoke versions of Battle Of Evermore and Going To California, they're nice if you want to sing along but other than that pretty pointless.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 6, 2014 18:21

Wow, I made a reference to a soda pop regarding Jimmy who consistantly still rubs his nose, just like Keith and Ronnie did back in the 70's and 80's, and now there is a debate if Jimmy is on Coke!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 7, 2014 16:06

More of Jimmy's pipe dreams and fantasies. He hasn't wanted to record his new music because he doesn't want to date it. What???

"I've already got new music. I've had new music together for quite awhile; I just haven't committed it to any sort of recordings, because I didn't want to date it. But I'll date it and I'll put a brand on it at the time that I do it. Then, as I say, I'll make a point of playing that live, and that's about as far as the story goes with that...Let's put it this way; I know what I am going to do. Without a shadow of a doubt, I'm going to be playing guitar." (laughs)

"I want to be putting together something whereby I will be going out and playing live. That's an important thing. I've got material. I've got new material, certainly got a past that I would be able to play with that material, too. So that's the thing to do, really."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-07 16:10 by tatters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 7, 2014 18:19

On David Letterman last night:

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 8, 2014 15:48

Why would it take Spirit FORTY years to point out the similarity? To me the definitive box set of Zeppelin outtakes and alternate takes is Godfather Records 18cd Studio Magik set...blows the deluxe edition bonus tracks away!smiling smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 9, 2014 17:32

Plant reportedly turned down Richard Branson's offer of an $800,000,000 guarantee for a reunion tour. The others had signed it. Plant tour it up.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home